Menu

Speaking of Australia, check out our visitor yesterday 🐍 I've added a video of my dad handfeeding a possum, but I'll delete soon

chocolate-chip chooky

1 hour ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I'm not trying to scare you all off from ever coming here, honest.

Snakes and spiders are just part of life here. It's kind of a bit *shrug* for us. 

I imagine it is a bit like alligators here - people from other places are terrified but meh. (now, crocodiles that you have, that's different!)

Bears, mountain lions, coyotes...those all scare me!

Coyotes? My dogs are bigger. Coyotes are not dangerous to people. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bookbard said:

I was taking the kids to school and there was a funnel web spider in the middle of the playground. Called the teacher to get a container, we herded it into it and I took it down to the council (they collect them so scientists can use their venom to make the cure if you're bitten). I was imagining being in a car accident and the container opened and me, there, pinned under the steering wheel as a funnel web spider crawled towards me . . ..

😳😳😳😳😳😳

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DreamerGirl said:

This makes me feel so much better. I have a bucket list to visit Australia and the *gulp* outback. IDK whether is this is suburbia or the Outback or a farm. 

I shall stay in the cities and visit beaches. Unless the beaches have something equally scary. 

I'm in Brisbane, the capital city of Queensland. We have a population of about 2.5 million. This isn't a farm or the outback. Snakes are common throughout Brisbane, but they aren't a threat. We all just live with them, except if they come inside, and then we call a snake catcher, who relocates it.

Please come and visit one day 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

I imagine it is a bit like alligators here - people from other places are terrified but meh. (now, crocodiles that you have, that's different!)

Coyotes? My dogs are bigger. Coyotes are not dangerous to people. 

I remember you posting a photo once of an alligator that you walked past when you were hiking, and I was all 😮😬😲

My only experience with coyotes involves a road runner, so my knowledge is a tad limited 😏

Actually, we do get really cool birds here called curlews. They are very roadrunner-ish. They wouldn't have any coyote experience either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I'm in Brisbane, the capital city of Queensland. We have a population of about 2.5 million. This isn't a farm or the outback. Snakes are common throughout Brisbane, but they aren't a threat. We all just live with them, except if they come inside, and then we call a snake catcher, who relocates it.

Please come and visit one day 🙂

I have a healthy respect for snakes. Grew up around Cobras and live in rattlesnake land.

I would love to visit your beautiful country. Snakes, big spiders , magpies that swoop and danger of a random vegemite creeping into my sandwich shall not scare me. 😄

Thank you the picture. It was scary but cool. 

Edited by DreamerGirl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

that is an epic pic chooky!

we live in the bush and still rarely see snakes, no carprt pythons, mostly browns, red/yellow belly blacks or tigers. Seen about 3 over 5 years. Honestly, I'm fairly afraid of them, especially the browns which can be aggressive, but not enough to dampen how much I love it here. And all our quail are okay 😄

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Less brave than Canadians. 
They have temperatures I can't even believe in.

My Canadian dh is terrified of snakes

Though that might be because he wouldn't believe people when he first came to Australia that Tiger snakes chase you. So he stirred one up with a stick. He found out they really do chase you and has never really got over his fright

• Haha 8

13 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

My Canadian dh is terrified of snakes

Though that might be because he wouldn't believe people when he first came to Australia that Tiger snakes chase you. So he stirred one up with a stick. He found out they really do chase you and has never really got over his fright

Those of us who have grown up here know to leave them be, and they'll leave you be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Those of us who have grown up here know to leave them be, and they'll leave you be.

I don't know about Australia, but venemous snake bites here are almost always from people purposely messing with the snake. Being bitten by accident is really rare - although it did happen to my ex when he stepped on a pygmy rattler barefoot. Thankfully they are not medically serious for adults. But he had to step on it, barefoot, to get bitten - and had just trimmed back a bunch of brush that was likely where it had been - so really, first he destroyed its home, then stepped on it. 

• Like 2

I am from New England and visited Australia for 6 months and survived! 

I traveled all over, did a farm stay, hiked throughout Victoria, snorkeled on the great barrier reef, and the only thing that bit me was a possum and it was my fault for holding my hand up to its nose so it could sniff me (ha! I was 19 and stupid). Did see one brown snake at the farm, sadly, bodiless in a jar. Also viewed one of those lovely Australian plants that can kill you from pain if you touch them, the gympie-gympie, during a jungle tour.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Only at fairs and things, not in the wild.
We'd been at a NAIDOC week event when dd was 3. She was terrified of the rabbit at the petting zoo, but saw what was probably a small python trying to escape it's box, so grabbed it and shoved it back in. 😄

Love it!

13 hours ago, DreamerGirl said:

This makes me feel so much better. I have a bucket list to visit Australia and the *gulp* outback. IDK whether is this is suburbia or the Outback or a farm. 

I shall stay in the cities and visit beaches. Unless the beaches have something equally scary. 

Lol.  DH saw a snake at work today in the city.  I’m on the farm and haven’t seen one all year!  Wear boots and jeans and don’t mess with them and you’ll be good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

That is an epic photo!  My sil has pretty much given up on pet birds thanks to the snakes 😞 

How does a wild snake get access to a pet bird ? Dare I ask to know the answer.

One of the things I would love to see in Australia is the different kinds of wild parrots. They are one of my favorite birds. I shudder thinking they might be snake prey. 😐

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DreamerGirl said:

One of the things I would love to see in Australia is the different kinds of wild parrots. They are one of my favorite birds. I shudder thinking they might be snake prey. 😐

They're really smart. I suspect a snake would have difficulty in getting one. I read an Australian Geographic article that surmised that the reason why Australia has so many birds who are so intelligent and good at problem solving is the number of predators-smart ones survived. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have a vivid image in my head of one of the Australian Boardie's dh encountering an aggressive snake on their roof and then escaping speedily down the ladder. Anybody else remember this? <<shudder>> I'm ok with snakes as long as both of us are moving slowly and carefully.

Edited by SusanC
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

They're really smart. I suspect a snake would have difficulty in getting one. I read an Australian Geographic article that surmised that the reason why Australia has so many birds who are so intelligent and good at problem solving is the number of predators-smart ones survived. 

Yes ! Thank you for letting me know.

Luckily they have an emergency beacon with them.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-13/family-campervan-stranded-in-simpson-desert-after-heavy-rain/100618224

“A family of four remains stranded in South Australia's outback more than a day after their campervan became bogged because of torrential rain.

Emergency supplies have been dropped to the family, who are from Perth and whose modified Mitsubishi Canter is surrounded by flooded roads.

SA Police and the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) are currently working on a plan to rescue the travellers, who are about 150 kilometres north-east of Oodnadatta in the Simpson Desert.

"The vehicle from Western Australia containing two adults and two children became stranded after bad weather and flooding on the roads," a police spokesperson said.

"They are safe and well and in contact with the police."

A Challenger rescue plane was dispatched from Essendon, dropping water and a satellite phone, and police said the family has "sufficient essential supplies".

The family activated an emergency beacon and authorities were notified of their whereabouts about 10am on Friday.

The Perth family started travelling around Australia in their customised campervan in November 2020.

Over the past year, they have travelled through Western Australia, South Australia, the Northern Territory and Queensland.“

3 hours ago, DreamerGirl said:

We are absolutely spoilt with our wild birds here. I'll attach a couple of photos from our yard, to balance out the snake one 🙂 

IMG_20190930_172759495_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191018_051828475_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CTVKath said:

It's on your roof? And you can see it from the window? No deal. I'll keep my coyotes. 🙂

And the window was open 😄 We could've reached out and touched it if we wanted to. Don't worry, we didn't. We might be spreading Australian cliches thick and fast, but we're no Steve Irwin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

We are absolutely spoilt with our wild birds here. I'll attach a couple of photos from our yard, to balance out the snake one 🙂 

IMG_20190930_172759495_HDR.jpg

IMG_20191018_051828475_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

This is more like it.

If a bird napping had to happen I am ok it was a pigeon. Rats with wings is what we used to call them and I have no problems with rats and their avian cousins getting eaten by the pythons. Snakes gotta eat too. Just leave the parrots alone.

Please include more pictures of your magnificent parrots and thank you for these. 

16 hours ago, SusanC said:

I have a vivid image in my head of one of the Australian Boardie's dh encountering an aggressive snake on their roof and then escaping speedily down the ladder. Anybody else remember this? <<shudder>> I'm ok with snakes as long as both of us are moving slowly and carefully.

that was my DH

we have a LOT of snakes

• Like 3

On 11/12/2021 at 3:13 PM, Catwoman said:

That is so true. I gave it a like because it's kind of an amazing photo, but I felt so sorry for the poor pigeon!

Well, since I am eating chicken for lunch today, I feel like a hypocrite agreeing with you.

• Haha 2

On 11/12/2021 at 12:58 PM, Rosie_0801 said:

Stay on the made roads and don't go walking around Uluru after 11am and you'll be fine.

This sounds like a warning you'd find in a horror movie. 

"Stay to the roads."

"Beware of the moon."

😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 11/12/2021 at 12:27 PM, Dmmetler said:

Nice Carpet Python-I can't see the pattern enough to tell which one it is. Australia has some simply beautiful snakes. And honestly, carpet pythons are not big enough to be a big threat to humans, or even to livestock or pets, aren't venomous, and do a great job of pest control. 

I felt less bad upon hearing it was a Pigeon (sorry pigeons, you’re kind of gross). 

My dad hand-feeds a family of possums that live in their garage. This possum family has had several babies, and they even let my dad hand feed the babies.

Possums are very common in urban areas.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who comes across possums, though.

I'll post a video, but I'll delete after a bit, for privacy.

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky
deleted video
  • Like 1