Menu

Speaking of Australia, check out our visitor yesterday 🐍 I've added a video of my dad handfeeding a possum, but I'll delete soon

chocolate-chip chooky

Just now, Rosie_0801 said:

I've never seen one. 

One of my neighbours comes every year to tell me she saw a brown snake heading under the fence, into my yard, but thankfully I never met that either.

Wow. You've never seen one?

We mostly get carpet pythons, but there's a good range of snakes in our area. We've only had non-venomous in our yard so far as we know.

I've also had a neighbour say they saw a brown come out of the storm pipe, but we didn't see it.

4 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Wow. You've never seen one?

Only at fairs and things, not in the wild.
We'd been at a NAIDOC week event when dd was 3. She was terrified of the rabbit at the petting zoo, but saw what was probably a small python trying to escape it's box, so grabbed it and shoved it back in. 😄

4 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Only at fairs and things, not in the wild.
We'd been at a NAIDOC week event when dd was 3. She was terrified of the rabbit at the petting zoo, but saw what was probably a small python trying to escape it's box, so grabbed it and shoved it back in. 😄

Oh, that's priceless 🙂 

• Like 4

Nice Carpet Python-I can't see the pattern enough to tell which one it is. Australia has some simply beautiful snakes. And honestly, carpet pythons are not big enough to be a big threat to humans, or even to livestock or pets, aren't venomous, and do a great job of pest control. 

• Like 9

Um.....nope.

Please do come to New England, USA. Outside my window is usually a flock of turkeys or a couple of deer.  Occasionally a coyote runs across, but the fisher cats tend to stay in the more wooded parts behind the house. If you wake up early enough, though, you can see the woodchuck trying to find a way into the garden.  The bunny sleeps under the pine tree, and you'll only see her when the lawn mower gets too close.

One of the selling points here was the fact that there are no venomous snakes on this side of the bridge.  The biggest one we've seen has been a little thing sunning itself in the path.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Nice Carpet Python-I can't see the pattern enough to tell which one it is. Australia has some simply beautiful snakes. And honestly, carpet pythons are not big enough to be a big threat to humans, or even to livestock or pets, aren't venomous, and do a great job of pest control. 

Yep. The produce shops around here all seem to have them up in their rafters to keep the rodents in check.

Some of our carpet pythons are pretty big. That one in the picture is medium-sized. We've had some maybe 10cm diameter. 

Wow, what a great picture!

We have a carpet snake that hangs around here, you can go right up to it. Sadly we have mixed feelings about it now after it ate all our quail . . . but our fault really for not securing the cage properly, not the poor snake. 

We have black snakes occasionally and while you get a jolt, I'm not really afraid, as they're not aggressive. You can just walk away.

Never seen a brown snake thank goodness (well apart from shows). They're around, and Tiger snakes apparently, but I've lived in the bush my whole life and never seen one, so I'm not worried.

Bears and mountain lions though? I can't believe people go hiking in the US with those around!!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Never seen a brown snake thank goodness (well apart from shows).

We did when we were out with my Grandpa and his sister over from Poland! She wanted to go look at it, and he was all "No, we don't talk to brown snakes" lol. Us kids took off in the other direction (it wasn't after any of us, just wanted to go down a hole in the bridge) and even my venerable Grandpa got up a bit of a trot!

4 minutes ago, bookbard said:

We have a carpet snake that hangs around here, you can go right up to it. Sadly we have mixed feelings about it now after it ate all our quail . . . but our fault really for not securing the cage properly, not the poor snake. 

We have black snakes occasionally and while you get a jolt, I'm not really afraid, as they're not aggressive. You can just walk away.

Never seen a brown snake thank goodness (well apart from shows). They're around, and Tiger snakes apparently, but I've lived in the bush my whole life and never seen one, so I'm not worried.

Bears and mountain lions though? I can't believe people go hiking in the US with those around!!

You can't accidentally step on a bear or mountain lion. . .

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 9

2 minutes ago, bookbard said:

So sorry to hear about your quail 😕 

Our chickens free-range during the day, so they can get away from predators (birds of prey are truly their biggest risk), and at night they are securely closed into a snake-proof coop.

We see red-belly blacks occasionally in our area, but never in our own yard.

Bears, mountain lions, coyotes...those all scare me!

2 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

We're all taught from really young to be aware of snakes when out walking. I've never stood on one.

And they won't chase you. 

Back many years ago, I crowdsourced a playlist here for L's birthday party (I think it was age 6-7) and several Australian boardies pointed me to kids' songs with titles like "Don't ever step on a snake", with cheery lyrics about being aware of them and how you wouldn't want someone to step on you. A definite different mindset (and one that played well with my budding herpetologist!)

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

And this is why I live in a nice, concrete city. 

This makes me feel so much better. I have a bucket list to visit Australia and the *gulp* outback. IDK whether is this is suburbia or the Outback or a farm. 

I shall stay in the cities and visit beaches. Unless the beaches have something equally scary. 

12 minutes ago, bookbard said:

In general, if you know about them, it's not a big problem. The biggest issue is stupidity-we were once hiking in the Smokies and there was a mama bear with cubs. Now, that is a "give wide berth", because while black bears tend to avoid humans, mama WILL protect those cubs.  We knew where they were due to the large number of people trying to get close enough to get a cute photo of the adorable cubs.....uh....

I've never seen a mountain lion in the wild. We've seen bobcats at a distance, as well as wolves and coyotes, but they tend to flee pretty fast from approaching humans. We get raccoons, opossums (much less cute and more toothy than the Australian variety) and foxes pretty often-I'm in the suburbs, but in an area where there are some decent sized wooded areas and a railway easement. 

1 minute ago, DreamerGirl said:

This makes me feel so much better. I have a bucket list to visit Australia and the *gulp* outback. IDK whether is this is suburbia or the Outback or a farm. 

I shall stay in the cities and visit beaches. Unless the beaches have something equally scary. 

The beaches are scary. 

I stick to cafes, lol. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Melissa Louise said:

The beaches are scary. 

People scary or animal scary ??? Now I am torn and probably would prefer the outback if it is people scary. 🤣

Just now, Melissa Louise said:

I stick to cafes, lol. 

I am going to New Zealand then. *Gooles scary animals of New Zealand* 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Um.....nope.

Please do come to New England, USA. Outside my window is usually a flock of turkeys or a couple of deer.  Occasionally a coyote runs across, but the fisher cats tend to stay in the more wooded parts behind the house. If you wake up early enough, though, you can see the woodchuck trying to find a way into the garden.  The bunny sleeps under the pine tree, and you'll only see her when the lawn mower gets too close.

One of the selling points here was the fact that there are no venomous snakes on this side of the bridge.  The biggest one we've seen has been a little thing sunning itself in the path.

This is MUCH more my speed!  I would love to live in one of the New England states. 

4 minutes ago, DreamerGirl said:

Stay on the made roads and don't go walking around Uluru after 11am and you'll be fine.

5 minutes ago, DreamerGirl said:

Google Sydney and spiders. I can’t even attach a link because they are even more horrifying than the above snake. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DreamerGirl said:

People scary or animal scary ??? Now I am torn and probably would prefer the outback if it is people scary. 🤣

I am going to New Zealand then. *Gooles scary animals of New Zealand* 

The animals. I am scared of 1. Sharks and 2. Blue ringed octopi. 

And 3. Seaweed and how it grabs you around the ankles. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Google Sydney and spiders. I can’t even attach a link because they are even more horrifying than the above snake. 

I was taking the kids to school and there was a funnel web spider in the middle of the playground. Called the teacher to get a container, we herded it into it and I took it down to the council (they collect them so scientists can use their venom to make the cure if you're bitten). I was imagining being in a car accident and the container opened and me, there, pinned under the steering wheel as a funnel web spider crawled towards me . . ..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Spiders, otoh, are our friends. 

Just check your shoes before you put them on. 

Spiders are absolutely just part of life here. 

When I was cleaning the chooky coop yesterday, there was a huge huntsman in there. Maybe 15cm diameter, but mostly legs 😅 

• Like 2

We see and hear mountain lions a lot around here. We see them around dusk and dawn. Unless you are actively chasing one though I agree with the others that you can't accidently step on a mountain lion, lol. I've seen one that was hit by a car on the highway that goes over the mountain. We saw a black bear once crossing some railroad tracks near the mountain pass. They do live here but we don't see them often. They actively avoid human contact for the most part.