Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

11 hours ago, scholastica said:

Or if you buy gaming equipment, video games, and sneakers. 

This is a pretty sexist meme. 

Hmmm. My 20 something daughters would absolutely be the ones buying gaming computers and video games. 

I thought it was hilarious anyway.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, popmom said:

Hmmm. My 20 something daughters would absolutely be the ones buying gaming computers and video games. 

Absolutely. That's why using examples like those, that any person would buy, would not be sexist either way. But they specifically picked things that only women (or at least not cishet manly men) would buy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

Absolutely. That's why using examples like those, that any person would buy, would not be sexist either way. But they specifically picked things that only women (or at least not cishet manly men) would buy.

I understand that...

{{ETA: wait... "any person would buy"...Most females I know have no interest in gaming. My girls are not typical girls, and this was painfully obvious from middle school all the way through college/grad school.  So I disagree that it is something that "any person would buy"}}...

but it's...comedy. I guess not all comedy is welcome here. Good to know--not surprising. But comedy--as a genre--is commonly irreverent and offensive. Everyone has their limits though which is understandable. People who would buy tickets to see a comedian know what they are getting into usually (thinking of so many comedians who made bank offending people regularly). No so here on the boards. I get it.

Also, I still think it's hilarious. 🙂

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Honestly, I was too busy being confused how one buys a Stanley Cup when you have to win the NHL championship to get one to be worried about sexism. I had to look up what a stanley cup might possibly be in this context. 😂

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, frogger said:

Honestly, I was too busy being confused how one buys a Stanley Cup when you have to win the NHL championship to get one to be worried about sexism. I had to look up what a stanley cup might possibly be in this context. 😂

Unless you want pink, there are usually 40oz Stanley Cups with a straw available on Amazon for $40-$65. 

I like lashes and nails and big water cups, but I thought it was funny because all of these things together, done professionally for one year, do cost more than snow tires. We have a young lady in the extended family who DID request tires for Christmas because she spent all her own money at the salon. I was laughing because I was remembering SIL (who also has all these things) ranting about it at a family Christmas party when I read it. Niece finished college a year ago and carefully made a budget that included ample grooming that equaled her rent, but didn’t include savings or any categories of sinking funds.  That’s not to say that people don’t waste money on other things, but this is a visible type these days. 

And besides, there is DEFINITELY a point where all of these things are about status and not even vanity. There was a mid-40’s woman checking out in front of me at Costco Wednesday with ridiculously thick long black lashes that clashed with her dark blonde hair, ridiculously long coffin nails, and she kept moving her Stanley cup from her cart to the little ledge next to the payment pad and back again so she could rearrange her cart. She was really pretty otherwise, but these things taken together with her pink lululemon joggers, no coat and bare ankles on a day when it was sleeting screamed college-aged fashion victim, not mid-40’s and polished. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, kbutton said:

The comic thing about the research is that the scientist sought to be helpful by using salt to reduce the bitterness of the tannin. But the whole point of tea, for most Brits, is the bitterness. That's why it's so good when paired with the natural sweetness of milk.

49 minutes ago, Katy said:

Unless you want pink, there are usually 40oz Stanley Cups with a straw available on Amazon for $40-$65. 

I was on a Teams call this week with my boss and a group of others who were all clustered around one camera. One person's entire head was obscured by my boss's enormous pink Stanley cup. I didn't care enough about the meeting to ask her to move it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

On 1/26/2024 at 2:24 AM, Katy said:

I like lashes and nails and big water cups, but I thought it was funny because all of these things together, done professionally for one year, do cost more than snow tires. We have a young lady in the extended family who DID request tires for Christmas because she spent all her own money at the salon. I was laughing because I was remembering SIL (who also has all these things) ranting about it at a family Christmas party when I read it. Niece finished college a year ago and carefully made a budget that included ample grooming that equaled her rent, but didn’t include savings or any categories of sinking funds.  That’s not to say that people don’t waste money on other things, but this is a visible type these days. 

And besides, there is DEFINITELY a point where all of these things are about status and not even vanity. There was a mid-40’s woman checking out in front of me at Costco Wednesday with ridiculously thick long black lashes that clashed with her dark blonde hair, ridiculously long coffin nails, and she kept moving her Stanley cup from her cart to the little ledge next to the payment pad and back again so she could rearrange her cart. She was really pretty otherwise, but these things taken together with her pink lululemon joggers, no coat and bare ankles on a day when it was sleeting screamed college-aged fashion victim, not mid-40’s and polished. 

Sigh. Maybe she don’t give one care about looking polished for anyone else. Idk.  All I’d think is that looks fun and too expensive for me. Well that’s not true there’s a lovely young lady in one of my classes with gorgeous long coffin nails.  Like super long, well over an inch past the end of her finger.   I always want to ask her how she wipes her butt without losing a rhinestone off the nail or bodily injury.  

Sexist jokes can be funny jokes. Because sometimes sexism is just realism and not laughing about it won’t change it.

2 hours ago, Katy said:

I don’t know if this is possible, I thought coffee was like tomatoes & potatoes, and was only in the Americas?

Ethiopia/ Yemen/Somalia, according to Wikipedia.  The dating might be off, because it was known through oral tradition. Not sure about veracity, but it was funny. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Where the heck do people limit time outside and dress in layers at 53 degrees Fahrenheit???

IMG_4706.jpeg

Egypt. Not just 50°F. We saw kids in snow suits at 65°F. I guess when one is acclimated to 80 in the winter and 120 in the summer, 65 feels like cold, fall weather, and 50 would be an ice age. Of course, I don't know how often they get that low in Egypt. But ya, the bundling up is a thing. Meanwhile, we were going around in shirt sleeves thinking it felt positively balmy!

• Like 1

And it looked like the current temp was below freezing. So the idea of layers is good. Plus if you live in a place like Florida, they probably don't have the gear to be out in below freezing weather for a longer time?

Editing to add: 53 was the high so it might have potentially been colder than the 28 degrees in the corner as well

Edited by smstjohn
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Egypt. Not just 50°F. We saw kids in snow suits at 65°F. I guess when one is acclimated to 80 in the winter and 120 in the summer, 65 feels like cold, fall weather, and 50 would be an ice age. Of course, I don't know how often they get that low in Egypt. But ya, the bundling up is a thing. Meanwhile, we were going around in shirt sleeves thinking it felt positively balmy!

Yeah, we moved to San Antonio from Denver.  Our oldest child, born in San Antonio in November, was gifted a snowsuit as a newborn present.  People did legitimately put on parkas when it was 65 degrees, and people were horrified by the way we dressed (or didn't dress) our kids in the winter.  Also, I loved going to the zoo and the botanical gardens with my toddlers in the winter, because the weather was perfect and NOBODY was there.  I vividly remember allowing my then two year old out of the double stroller to run more or less free (they were very good at coming when called and I wasn't letting them out of my sight or anything) because there was literally nobody else at the zoo with us in January.  It was like 60 degrees.  

But still, the idea of limiting time outside in the 50s is funny.  And it is definitely true that it might be colder at other times of day, for sure.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

1dd was in college in upstate NY.  She went to Rome with a group from her dept. It was May. They were used to cold.  Rome was in the 70s, so they were having a great time in shirt sleeves.  All the romans . . we wearing heavy coats.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, smstjohn said:

And it looked like the current temp was below freezing. So the idea of layers is good. Plus if you live in a place like Florida, they probably don't have the gear to be out in below freezing weather for a longer time?

Absolutely yes to the bolded. Also, unless you shop online or at a place like REI, the cold weather coat you buy isn't made for actual cold weather.

20 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

Under 60 in Florida is COLD WEATHER. Especially when the majority of the year is in the 90s or higher. I am visiting family in central Florida and it is still over 80* at 6:15 pm. 

Also - Humidity. I've had visitors from up north amazed that our 45 degrees feels more like their 25 degrees. 

• Like 2

Re Initials: For a certain age group or someone really into hip hop, ds' initials will immediately bring to mind a group. I knew that when we named him but mostly it hasn't been a bother. He did get a tee shirt for Christmas from his brother (dss) that says Run DMC.

And now you know his initials if you hadn't already guessed them. 😃

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, kbutton said:

Yeah, for GenX-ish, it’s mom, not gram (or both).

4 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Ours was between brown and tan and held reconstituted orange juice once a week when we had pizza for dinner. 😆

We still have one.  DH's mom or grandmother must have given it to us when we first got married.  

• Like 2

Seems a good time to repost this one.  Definitely true for me! Grew up in So. Cal--have lived in 4-season climate for the last 25+ years and I'm still not acclimated to the "cold" weather of fall, winter, spring. 🙂

1470123_10152131457648674_138429839_n.jpeg

• Like 6

Pay attention to road construction signs. Do NOT drive around the cones. . . . I drove past this construction closure yesterday - there are *multiple* FLASHING reader board signs stating it is closed and to take alternate routes.

image.thumb.png.40a12d6ce7447adc107862fa054d2efb.png

7 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Pay attention to road construction signs. Do NOT drive around the cones. . . . I drove past this construction closure yesterday - there are *multiple* FLASHING reader board signs stating it is closed and to take alternate routes.

I don't think this would happen in NY. There would either be multiple orange barrels in front of this missing section of road, or more likely, concrete barriers. The only way you could find yourself in this position is if you were very drunk or very high.

Just now, knitgrl said:

I don't think this would happen in NY. There would either be multiple orange barrels in front of this missing section of road, or more likely, concrete barriers. The only way you could find yourself in this position is if you were very drunk or very high.

I drove past this yesterday.  This person was determined.

On 1/27/2024 at 8:53 PM, kbutton said:

image.thumb.png.04b65a3b7d3702c0acc4c1586aaf1048.png

We had one of those when I was kid.  My mother made our milk in it.   Thoroughly disgusting powdered milk.  You had to beat the crap out of it to make the powder dissolve.  Gross gross gross!   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ditto said:

We had one of those when I was kid.  My mother made our milk in it.   Thoroughly disgusting powdered milk.  You had to beat the crap out of it to make the powder dissolve.  Gross gross gross!   

Oh yes, totally gross.  

Sometimes my mom put koolaid in it.  That was the bomb. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I think I have a different definition of "impairment" then some people.

• Haha 2