Menu

He is at it again ... actually he never stopped

Home'scool

IDK who remembers my never-ending divorce (5 years, every slimy move he could make .... good times....🙄). We finally got our judgement of divorce in December 2019.

Part of the divorce agreement was that we would file taxes as "married" for 2017 & 2018. He then stayed true to form and APPEALED the divorce agreement. No one does that! Then again, no one appeals a temporary support order either, but he did that.

He wanted to file taxes for those years as "single" so he could claim the deduction of alimony payments and make me claim the alimony and pay more in taxes. We literally had to go to our state's Supreme Court for the appeal.

He lost the appeal.

I had my lawyer send his lawyer a letter saying that he already has my tax paperwork but if he needs something else from me to make this happen to let us know. Crickets ...... no response.

Finally we get a response from his attorney saying "My client is considering his options and will be in touch soon."

WHAT?! What does that even mean? So now I will probably have to bring him to court for contempt again. I already checked with my attorney and if I try to file single for those years I will have to claim the alimony and I will get buried in taxes.

Remember, this is the guy who WANTED the divorce, who had the affair, who makes over $250K a year, not including bonuses of $100k a year. I got a decent settlement but certainly no windfall. I still work full time to make ends meet. I cannot recover from financial hits as quickly as he can. 

I seriously do not know if I will ever be rid of him. 

Edited by Home'scool
  • Sad 39

So sorry this is dragging out and that he's continued to be so difficult.  You said he has your tax info.  Do you have HIS tax info?  Could you file on behalf of both of you, instead of him doing it?  Alternatively, is there anything the IRS could do to help you?

• Like 1

What a total asshole, even worse that the system lets him to continue on with this. Any decent judge should have already handed you over a huge 'ol check just for dealing with his sorry ass.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Sometimes you look at people and think "I couldn't be this much of a jerk even if I brainstormed with all my least favourite people." 
That's how I'm looking at your ex!

This! I was so hoping that he would have left you to live in peace by now. Are you "done" with him after this? Or will you have to have more dealings with him in the future, aside from maybe seeing him at a wedding or funeral?

5 hours ago, Seasider too said:

Can you file a harassment suit against him? He is just doing this to torture you. 

I wish you could do this & include that he has to also pay all your attorney fees from the beginning since it was all his fault. Grr!!

• Like 2

Just to answer some questions:

• The taxes for 2017 & 2018 were never filed. That was always his job in the marriage and he always screwed it up. Once I was officially divorced I found a great CPA and filed my taxes for 2019 and 2020 ON TIME and simply paid what I had to. So we are looking at having to pay whatever taxes are owed as well as any penalties. I was just trying to get him to sell the house and pay me support during this time and the taxes was just another thing he wasn't doing.
  • I "should" be done with him after this but I probably am not. I am waiting for him to file that he cannot pay the alimony or something like that. He is supposed to pay me until 2030 but I cannot imagine he will pay for all that time. Since the actual divorce decree has has paid alimony every week on time but that will probably be his next thing.
  • When we got word that he was "considering his options" my lawyer sent back that the divorce decree has been affirmed as well as his appeal with the state's Supreme Court and that we will be filing a contempt charge by next week seeking all costs, etc. I have been down that road before ... my experience has been that the court just splits things down the middle. Considering he has already spent over $100K on 4 different lawyers he seems to be willing to keep throwing money at this.
  • I've looked into harassment charges but it seems like he has the right to keep doing this stuff. It's his right to use the courts. I just wish a judge would catch onto what he is doing.
  • I do have a "friendly local assassin" haha! I work with a huge, intimidating looking guy (think Mr. T) who also works as a Constable on the side. He is the one I always choose to serve my Ex any papers. Maybe I should "activate the asset" haha 😁
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3