Menu

It’s early, but flu shots - when do you get yours?

Spryte

If you get one, of course.  If not, well, this doesn’t apply to you. 

We have mostly aimed for end of Sept/beginning of Oct to maximize the coverage through the entire flu season. Until Covid came along, anyway.  

Last year I was worried about a surge in Covid cases so we went early - end of Aug.  Pondering doing the same thing this year, and since we bundle the kids’ shots with well visits, I need to schedule now. 

If you’re planning a flu shot, what’s your plan this year?

We’re going to get ours the beginning of September this year because dh and I are planning on traveling to visit his parents the end of September. So, with everything else going on we thought we’d do them a bit early this year.

In the past, it has depended on where we lived. In FL, we waited until Nov/Dec (the only time I’ve had the flu was in FL in May). Here in the Midwest, I usually get them late Sept/early Oct.

Edited by Joker2
  • Like 1

I’ll probably get mine in early October. I have my annual physical scheduled then, so it will be convenient to get the flu vaccine at the same time. We’ve never overly strategized on timing but generally have gotten them anywhere from mid September until Thanksgiving. I don’t see any compelling reason to change thinking on that. 

• Like 1

When I think of it, lol. I know at least one year it wasn't until January or Feb...oops. 

I do med checks now every 3 months, so at one of those. I have one today, next would be October I guess, so probably at that visit. Oh, I remember...it was last year I did January, because they only did virtual visits last October. No flu shot at a virtual visit, lol. So I did it at my next one, which was in person. I could have done at a pharmacy, but didn't seem smart to hang out in an area with sick people to get it when I was hardly leaving the house anyway - grocery delivery, drive through pharmacy, etc. And masking and sanitizing when I did leave the house. 

I didn't do the kids last year as they went no where to pick up the flu, and they would have had to go into the pediatrician's office, which was treating respiratory infections, to get it. That equation made no sense. Once they are vaccinated for Covid I'll look at flu vaccine for them, since they will then be out in public again. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

My husband stalks the flu reports and prefers we get them when the first cases hit to maximize how long they last. We do often have later cases of flu in the spring (midwest). For us, this usually means mid-late November, though his employer requires them to get their flu shots earlier. 

Last year, we were concerned that flu shots would be scarce, so we got our shots much earlier. I can't remember exactly when.

• Like 1

My employer usually offers them at our back-to-school teacher work days end of August or beginning of September, and I'll get mine there for the convenience. This didn't happen last year and I'm not sure if it will happen this year, so if I wait for the local drive-thru clinic that will be mid-October. Our flu season typically gets going in January (I associate it with people returning from Christmas travel elsewhere), and it peaks in February. Though in 2019 it hit early--was already going around in November.

• Like 1

Just now, ktgrok said:

I didn't do the kids last year as they went no where to pick up the flu, and they would have had to go into the pediatrician's office, which was treating respiratory infections, to get it. That equation made no sense. 

And that’s the sticker, here.  There is always this calculation re: risk/benefit.  Going into the pediatrician’s office where they are treating illnesses and potentially getting exposed … I’m trying to think through the best time for that.  We could go early, end of August, and hopefully before the back to school surge of illness (PS starts on Aug 12 here, so early), or we could wait till our usual time and try to maximize the flu season coverage.

Whenever the pedi office emails to tell us that they are in. 

Last year, they held drive-up flu clinic days. Booked in 10-minute appoinent slots, we drove up and rolled down the windows, and then vaxed every kid in the car! The only way it could have been better is if they could do the parents at the same time. (I put in a request. They said they would look into it for this year.) DH & I then went and had ours done at the CVS down the street a few days later.

• Like 3

I'm feeling obtuse.  I never realized that a flu shot only lasts 5-6 months.  I mean, I knew you have to get a new one each year, and I guess my brain just assumed that meant it lasted something close to that.  I've always tried to take the kids to get theirs at the beginning of September when they become available, and assumed if they later caught the flu anyways that it was a different variety. Wow, now I feel dumb.

Makes me anxious about when to get my kids' shots this year.  My youngest will still be getting his with everyone else, but the likelihood of his actually working is extremely reduced because of the chemo med he is on.  And the likelihood of him catching the flu (and of it being bad) is worsened by the same med.  And if he does get really sick, we have to worry not just about the sickness itself but about the consequences of potentially interrupting his treatment.  Argh!

Edited by Condessa
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Condessa said:

I'm feeling obtuse.  I never realized that a flu shot only lasts 5-6 months.  I mean, I knew you have to get a new one each year, and I guess my brain just assumed that meant it lasted something close to that.  I've always tried to take the kids to get theirs at the beginning of September when they become available, and assumed if they later caught the flu anyways that it was a different variety. Wow, now I feel dumb.

Makes me anxious about when to get my kids' shots this year.  My youngest will still be getting his with everyone else, but the likelihood of his actually working is extremely reduced because of the chemo med he is on.  Any the likelihood of him catching the flu (and of it being bad) is worsened by the same med.  And if he does get really sick, we have to worry not just about the sickness itself but about the consequences of potentially interrupting his treatment.  Argh!

In your case, I’d ask his doctor about when to get it.  Doc may recommend getting it early, and a booster in December.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I didn't do the kids last year as they went no where to pick up the flu, and they would have had to go into the pediatrician's office, which was treating respiratory infections, to get it. That equation made no sense. Once they are vaccinated for Covid I'll look at flu vaccine for them, since they will then be out in public again. 

The new set-up for our pedi due to covid is that sick child visits are scheduled in the afternoon (well child are earlier in the day) and anyone showing symptoms of a virus (cold, flu, covid, etc) are brought in the back entrance to sick-only exam rooms. It's been working out well.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, QueenCat said:

Last year, they were available early around here (early August), so I got it then. We have international travel planned in early Sept so if it's available before then, I'll go ahead & do it.

Same. I think we usually get them in September, but the pharmacist recommended getting them early last year so we did.

I guess DS will need to get his by the end of August this year before he leaves for university. I haven’t found any information on what types of vaccines they offer students (if any) or whether flu shots are even common where he’s headed so I’d rather he be covered ahead of time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

The new set-up for our pedi due to covid is that sick child visits are scheduled in the afternoon (well child are earlier in the day) and anyone showing symptoms of a virus (cold, flu, covid, etc) are brought in the back entrance to sick-only exam rooms. It's been working out well.

Ok, I’m sold.  Between this and drive up flu clinics - you win best pediatrician’s office!  I want to bring my kids to your doc!

Our office isn’t doing anything for Covid precautions anymore, other than hand sanitizer and some signs about masking which patients may/may not follow.

… and totally aside, hoping your kiddo is doing better today!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

Ok, I’m sold.  Between this and drive up flu clinics - you win best pediatrician’s office!  I want to bring my kids to your doc!

Our office isn’t doing anything for Covid precautions anymore, other than hand sanitizer and some signs about masking which patients may/may not follow.

… and totally aside, hoping your kiddo is doing better today!

The office is actually moving next month, and I'm quite sad about it. We've been going to this location since my oldest was 6 months old. That was 1996!

He's much better this morning, thanks. He's not out of the woods yet, but we are home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Condessa said:

Makes me anxious about when to get my kids' shots this year.  My youngest will still be getting his with everyone else, but the likelihood of his actually working is extremely reduced because of the chemo med he is on.  And the likelihood of him catching the flu (and of it being bad) is worsened by the same med.  And if he does get really sick, we have to worry not just about the sickness itself but about the consequences of potentially interrupting his treatment.  Argh!

We were in the same boat the last two years, with a kid who was very immune suppressed and vulnerable.  His team suggested we get it early.  We had him vaccinated at an infusion appointment to avoid any extra visits, so he didn’t get it with his siblings but it was the same week.  This past year our pediatrician also wanted to see our kids early because she expected the virus to rise, my guess is that the same concern will apply this year.  Our strategy of vaccinating everyone around him worked two years in a row.  He did not get the flu in our care.

I think flu patterns are local, so I would of course ask your son’s team.  

• Like 2

Before covid our Ped said to do them on November in our area. 

I wanted to get the kids early, because of something I read about the Flu vac helping against covid.  They said they get them in August or Sept but recommend coming in Oct.

I haven't really decided what I want to do on that yet.

• Like 1

I usually get mine mid-late October, to have coverage through most of flu season, but I got it early last year because I was concerned about shortages.  They were offering flu shots outside of our public library.  I think it was around Labor Day?

But I'll try to wait later, unless we're having flu earlier around here.  

• Like 1

I can't get mine while on IV therapy, but hope to have everyone else get theirs by October unless it seems like there will be a shortage or we start to see cases earlier.  I do not want it to be at the same time as any covid booster, so I will also be keeping an eye on that.

• Like 1

I work in a pharmacy, so I get it early to avoid getting the flu before people realize it is in the community. We get  exposed early because we work with the patients who just got diagnosed and have a prescription or need help buying OTC items. 

I get it in late August/early September. 

• Like 1

There's a local mobile health clinic that comes to our school and both students and staff can get flu shots (students need permission slips). So, whenever they come! It's great - last year I got a lollipop and a sticker. Pediatric nurses are the best! 😂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

There's a local mobile health clinic that comes to our school and both students and staff can get flu shots (students need permission slips). So, whenever they come! It's great - last year I got a lollipop and a sticker. Pediatric nurses are the best! 😂

Lollipop *and* a sticker?!? Score!

1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

When I had skin cancer taken off of my leg, the plastic surgeon gave me a lollipop! I was 40 something!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2