Menu

Has anyone figured out how to speed up the loading time of this board?

Tap

The load times are so long now, that I often only open one or two threads, and then give up. Sometimes they open fast....10 seconds or so, and sometimes they seem to take a full minute. That is probably an exaggeration, but it feels that way. 

Any tricks to speed it up? 

I clear cookies and reboot at least once a week, so that isn't it. This computer is only a few months old so no need to defrag. I tried to open the board just now and it took over a minute, so I am actually not exaggerating. 

It came with a preinstalled virus software, so maybe I will try adding this site to the allowed sites. The odd thing is, I don't really have trouble on other sites. Even ones that are image heavy like shopping websites. That is why I figured it was something going on here. HMMMMM. Odd!

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I'm having the same problem, plus the site claims to be offline several times a day. 😣

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I have the same problem but only when loading from my phone, it loads fine from the computer.

I'm not having any problems from my computer, but I have the same problems Rosie has when I'm trying to access it from my phone, The back button is also usually very slow unless I push it twice. Then it loads faster, but it takes me to a page I've already viewed. It's faster to scroll all the way to the top and push the new content button. Interestingly enough, when I access through my social club instead of the main board, I haven't had any problems.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I'm not having any issues from either my phone or my laptop, although two or three days ago I did briefly get a "board offline" notice. 

yes, very brief.   I resubmitted it shortly afterwards and didn't have an issue. 

Otherwise it takes a second or so longer than most pages, but that's all - e.g. amazon.

When it happens to me I switch my internet from home wifi to Verizon hotspot and it magically works. I think I can’t use this site while DH is working in the basement. Some of his programs eat up all the bandwidth. 

ETA: This is especially true for large threads with lots of twitter links and pasted in graphics with more than 40 posts per page. Between 40-50 it becomes unwieldy. I wonder if we should request pages hold less posts or if this will be over in a few days after the inauguration. 

Edited by Katy

I have the same issues, and I never used to.  I can't remember when it started, but several months ago I think?  I don't have this issue with any other site, even the "heavier" ones.  I click on this site and then go and do something else while it loads.  

I use Safari.

I’ve been having the same problem. It happens on all of my devices. On my Mac, it doesn’t matter if I’m using WiFi or the hard line. Threads take a lot of time to load. Sometimes threads load and there is nothing in the messages as well. Then they eventually populate, but it often takes a couple of minutes. 

Sometimes this happened to me in my civilian account.  

My first response was to go old-school and reboot every device I know how to work.  That took care of most problems, like this one.  

If that didn't work, I would re-boot the things I don't know how to work, like the router.  That took care of most of the rest of the problems.  

One time, I had to clear my cache.  That must be some kind of magic because it took care of the slow-load problem here--and a bunch of small problems I was having on other sites.  As a bonus, I also got renewed access to the paywall sites that make you pay after you've read ~5 stories.  Clearing your cache erases your browser history, but I do that all the time, anyway.

I will tell the forum developers that this is happening for some people, but as it seems not to be a universal problem, you might want to take some of these steps on your side of the cyberworld to see if any of them help.  If I get any answers, I will post them in the Site News forum.

Haven't read the other replies, so my terrifically unhelpful response is:

1. Buy a fast new computer

and

2. Upgrade your internet speed

You're welcome. 🤣

PS: The board doesn't usually load slowly for me, even with my old laptop and crummy DSL. 
But it just took 30 seconds for the emoji screen to load.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1