Menu

Best shampoo for greasy teen boy hair?

MEmama

I am not a teenage boy 😉 , but have recently found a shampoo that keeps my roots clean for at least a day and a half (usually 24 hours is my limit). It promises "up to 48 hour fresh roots":

L'Oréal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo

I personally think it smells shampoo-y rather than girly, but you'll probably want to check the scent before buying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MercyA said:

I am not a teenage boy 😉 , but have recently found a shampoo that keeps my roots clean for at least a day and a half (usually 24 hours is my limit). It promises "up to 48 hour fresh roots":

L'Oréal Paris Elvive Extraordinary Clay Rebalancing Shampoo

I personally think it smells shampoo-y rather than girly, but you'll probably want to check the scent before buying.

Ooh, thanks! 
He’d rather smell girly than like Axe so the scent sounds fine. 🙂 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kalmia said:

I’ve never heard of these! Thanks!

The more basic, the better, I think. When ds was using mine that was a bit more on the refined end, shall we say, that wasn't good for his teen hair. When he used dh's, which was for his wispy thin hair, it was like lathering on grease. We got them really basic "for all hair types" cheap shampoo and that was actually the best option.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Farrar said:

The more basic, the better, I think. When ds was using mine that was a bit more on the refined end, shall we say, that wasn't good for his teen hair. When he used dh's, which was for his wispy thin hair, it was like lathering on grease. We got them really basic "for all hair types" cheap shampoo and that was actually the best option.

I feel like I’ve tried all the types. In general I agree the basic stuff should work best, but so far I haven’t found anything that truly makes his hair clean.

Probably at least partially user error (yes, he’s 17.5. Sigh).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I second the shampoo scrubber.  But just making sure- is he really using the shampoo or is he doing that I call the dash and rinse?  They use a tiny bit in one spot and rinse the head. 

Yup, that might be it. How do I get him to CARE??!! I feel nagged out.

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

How do I get him to CARE??!!

You can't, right? That is like thinking you will be able to change someone with your love. We all know how that marriage ended. Truly. Just love his greasy haired self and give him enough warning before leaving the house or Zooming with grandma that he will need to take a shower and have time to take a shower.  🚿🤐

If you're family has a teasing culture or snarky culture you could try those approaches, but it is a bit risky. Someday he will be able to leave the house regularly again and outside pressure may solve this issue for you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

Cheap shampoo with a bit of baking soda mixed in works well here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MEmama said:

Sadly, no girl or boy to impress AFAIK. I wish there was! Lol

😁

I put girl on purpose- I know it’s a gross over generalization, but even if just a “friend” teen girls seem more likely to want clean.   Many Teen Boys are just barely emerging from a love of all things gross, still charmed by loud burps, dirt and sweat and grime.  

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Pen said:

😁

I put girl on purpose- I know it’s a gross over generalization, but even if just a “friend” teen girls seem more likely to want clean.   Many Teen Boys are just barely emerging from a love of all things gross, still charmed by loud burps, dirt and sweat and grime.  

So true. Lol. I’m always a bit surprised when I see teen girls—even the sporty ones know how to put on lipgloss and wear something cute. The boys, not so much. 

I don’t care which way he might eventually have a love interest as long as they have a positive influence on general hygiene (reason #364 I hate Covid— how are teens supposed to date or want to date?).

16 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Cheap shampoo with a bit of baking soda mixed in works well here. 

How do you mix in the baking soda? It sounds brilliant but I’m not sure adding a step is going to go over well. Lol

Do you keep a box of baking soda in your shower? 

21 minutes ago, MEmama said:

How do you mix in the baking soda? It sounds brilliant but I’m not sure adding a step is going to go over well. Lol

Do you keep a box of baking soda in your shower? 

We just put a tablespoon of shsmpoo in a small tupperware, add a bit of baking soda, mix, and shampoo. Super easy,

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kalmia said:

I second the Clarifying shampoo.

Thirding it, even though I also recommended another one. 😉 

Suave Clarifying was always my go-to for getting rid of gunk in my hair (overuse of conditioner, styling products, etc.) I stopped using it years ago when I learned they used animal testing, but they've recently been certified cruelty-free. (Go, Suave!)

• Like 2

Trader Joe's tea tree oil shampoo--I have had to switch brands of shampoo because of buildup for years and years, and I have always been an oil slick on top of my head. This stuff is amazing, and I've used it for a long time with no need to switch!!! 

Neutrogena T Sal is also helpful. My tween gets cradle cap but is only moderately oily. I noticed that when we use the T Sal for his cradle cap, it tamps down the oil considerably for days. I massage it into my son's scalp before washing it out.

On caring...it might be a reflection of feeling hopeless. I've spent most of my life having hair that would be visibly oily before it completely air dried (it's thick and mostly been worn long for 25 or so years). My brother's hair was also very oily, but since he cut his every few weeks, he could use harsher shampoo and wash it twice per day without split ends and such. 

I am not quite as oily as I was 20 years ago, but I stopped washing my hair daily during the pandemic since I'm not going out a lot--that is also decreasing the oil production. I think I've always been told that washing more = more oil, but it's really not socially acceptable to stop washing hair. Even with my current reduction in oil, my hair isn't necessarily socially acceptable on the second day, lol! Sometimes it is (barely), and sometimes it's not. 

In recent years, I've also learned that I can sometimes get a second day out of my hair washing by braiding my hair before stepping into the shower and just washing the hair closest to my face. That might not help a guy if he's got short hair, but someone else reading might find it helpful.

• Like 1

I suspect there’s going to be a run on Suave now, lol.

I got my 13yo on the scrubber, but it hasn’t made a huge difference. Sadly, he got my greaseball hair. At 43, I’m lucky if I can make it a full day without getting gross. Being a 13yo boy, he can barely make it to the time it takes his hair to dry. 

ETA:  All the people who always insisted I should shampoo less to “change” my hair situation have no leg to stand on after all this quarantining.

Edited by Carrie12345
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I like the Suave, but I also really like the Classic Clean Pantene. 

I know at that age my hair was so greasy I had to wash it twice, make sure it was rinsed completely, and not use a 2 in 1 shampoo or a "moisturizing" shampoo.  And I could never use conditioner.  All those things made my hair look greasy even though I had washed it.   Also, I started blow-drying my hair because sometimes (particularly in the summer) when it air-dried it looked greasy.   

So maybe he just isn't washing it, or maybe he's not rinsing it out properly, or maybe he needs a more specific shampoo for his hair type.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

ETA:  All the people who always insisted I should shampoo less to “change” my hair situation have no leg to stand on after all this quarantining.

Yeah, I've tried the whole shampooing less thing/no poo and none of it works for me.   Really, really tried.   But, some of us are just greaseballs.

I bleached my hair this spring so I could dye it, and it's been a real eye opener about what life is like for people who don't have insanely greasy hair.   I have magically dry hair now and I kind of love it.    

• Like 1

When my ds stops washing his hair, I take him to the hair salon. The last time (this past week), he actually told the stylist "now I can finally wash my hair!" So I don't know what was going on in his pea brain, but at least for him having it done at the salon and having that talk kinda moves it back up the "oh I'm supposed to do this" priority list. I suspect she actually says something to this effect, and hearing it from someone else makes it official, haha. 

• Haha 1

Does your son look greasy right after washing or later in the day?

One of my boys would need to wash twice a day (at least) to keep from looking greasy. He is not at all interested in multiple showers.  I try to encourage him to time his shower closer to the time he'd be around outside the home people. 

My hair has always tended greasy too. I used to wash it daily with clarifying shampoo, but as I've aged my hair can't handle daily washing without looking/being damaged. Yet it still gets greasy at the top. I use dry shampoo in that area when I'm not doing a wash and have to see people. It does a good job of soaking up the ick.  I just did a quick google, and it looks like there are even some dry shampoo products geared toward men. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zebra said:

Yeah, I've tried the whole shampooing less thing/no poo and none of it works for me.   Really, really tried.   But, some of us are just greaseballs.

I bleached my hair this spring so I could dye it, and it's been a real eye opener about what life is like for people who don't have insanely greasy hair.   I have magically dry hair now and I kind of love it.    

I was always in awe of my college roommate's not oily hair--she could go backpacking for a week and come back with hair that was still looking decent! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

When my ds stops washing his hair, I take him to the hair salon. The last time (this past week), he actually told the stylist "now I can finally wash my hair!" So I don't know what was going on in his pea brain, but at least for him having it done at the salon and having that talk kinda moves it back up the "oh I'm supposed to do this" priority list. I suspect she actually says something to this effect, and hearing it from someone else makes it official, haha. 

Sometimes a little carefully placed shaming can go a long way! (From someone other then mom) Lol

1 hour ago, sbgrace said:

Does your son look greasy right after washing or later in the day?

One of my boys would need to wash twice a day (at least) to keep from looking greasy. He is not at all interested in multiple showers.  I try to encourage him to time his shower closer to the time he'd be around outside the home people. 

My hair has always tended greasy too. I used to wash it daily with clarifying shampoo, but as I've aged my hair can't handle daily washing without looking/being damaged. Yet it still gets greasy at the top. I use dry shampoo in that area when I'm not doing a wash and have to see people. It does a good job of soaking up the ick.  I just did a quick google, and it looks like there are even some dry shampoo products geared toward men. 

It’s greasy right after he showers. So obviously there’s some user error in the equation. Lol 

If he cared, the dry shampoo sounds like a good idea. Most days he showers twice (morning and after running), but it’s not helping. He might not care but I sure do! 

12 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Maybe a shorter haircut?

I’ve managed to get him to agree to let me give him two haircuts since March. It’s decently short right now  but I really want to get out the clippers and go shorter, if just to test my skills. 😉. Going shorter might actually help with cleanliness. 

Stealing some of the ideas here, because a less pricey shampoo would be good, but FWIW:

DS here has long, curly hair.  Think Josh Groban when he had long hair, I guess.  It can get funky fast.  And some shampoos create a frizzy, unmanageable mess.

Our stylist had DH and me using Nioxin shampoo and just told DS to use the same.  She was highly opposed to any shampoo/conditioner combo for kids, and felt his best bet was the Nioxin.  She does not sell it, so there’s no financial gain for her to make any recommendation. I see a definite difference in his hair when he uses it.  He ends up with non-greasy but well defined curls.  It’s pretty cool.  But pricey.

• Like 1

Lush has a solid shampoo called Jumping Juniper for oily hair. Solid shampoo can be a little more interactive than liquid if it’s used by rubbing the bar on the head (not the way I use it, but works well for shorter hair). You need to work a little more to get a lather that way and the effort might ensure a better result. 

I’m a big fan of solid shampoo for environmental reasons (not paying to ship mostly water around and no plastic containers) and it’s great for travel too.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Lush has a solid shampoo called Jumping Juniper for oily hair. Solid shampoo can be a little more interactive than liquid if it’s used by rubbing the bar on the head (not the way I use it, but works well for shorter hair). You need to work a little more to get a lather that way and the effort might ensure a better result. 

I’m a big fan of solid shampoo for environmental reasons (not paying to ship mostly water around) and it’s great for travel too.

That’s a good point. It would require some buy in from him but you’re right, it is a more interactive process. 

9 hours ago, MEmama said:

That’s a good point. It would require some buy in from him but you’re right, it is a more interactive process. 

It can be simplified process  u go with the same soap for hair and body and a single item can be used like a military washdown starting at top and rapidly doing whole self!   🙃 

Another soap that has worked for hair to toe is African Black soap, but it can be a little rough and too drying sometimes.  It’s excellent for reducing acne too.  Because of roughness best with a washcloth. (It seems to have clay or ash or something right in the soap.) 

You need not be African to use African black soap.  #1 Organic African Black Soap | Acne Treatment | 1lb bar | 60 day Satisfaction Guarantee https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CLTDH3O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lZDrFbPGGMFE8

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pen said:

It can be simplified process  u go with the same soap for hair and body and a single item can be used like a military washdown starting at top and rapidly doing whole self!   🙃 

Another soap that has worked for hair to toe is African Black soap, but it can be a little rough and too drying sometimes.  It’s excellent for reducing acne too.  Because of roughness best with a washcloth. (It seems to have clay or ash or something right in the soap.) 

You need not be African to use African black soap.  #1 Organic African Black Soap | Acne Treatment | 1lb bar | 60 day Satisfaction Guarantee https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CLTDH3O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_lZDrFbPGGMFE8

I’ll add this to my next grocery list. His skin needs help too. 

18 hours ago, Zebra said:

Could you threaten to get in the shower with him and wash his hair?   I would think that even the most stubborn of teens would suddenly care very much!   🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ha. I'd think so, too!

If you honestly - kindly - tell him that his hair looks greasy, would he be offended?