Menu

Crafting- Coronavirus edition!

DawnM

I have heard people say they are going to do some crafting during the virus since they are stuck at home anyway.

I haven't started a thread for the last month.  With so many things happening I forgot.

Whatcha doing?  I need some inspiration!

• Like 2

Oh yea!! I’ve been stitching.  Pics in a bit!

@DawnM I’ve been thinking about your dad.  Hope he is doing well!

1st pic is a free year long SAL from Linen & Threads (pic turned the wrong way LoL)

2nd pic is a free 52 week SAL from Peppermint Purple (trying black work for the first time)

3rd pic is the 2017 free SAL from Linen and Threads.  Starting this today with my good friend.  We are stitching together virtually 😊.

ETA:  This is my therapy at the moment 😁.

6FF1449C-8608-4CDD-AC87-D2553B42C472.jpeg

870429FF-4003-460D-8061-865445AB950B.jpeg

C407941A-448E-4327-91FC-A735C7363F3E.jpeg

Edited by mlktwins
Added pics
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

1st pic is a free year long SAL from Linen & Threads (pic turned the wrong way LoL)

2nd pic is a free 52 week SAL from Peppermint Purple (trying black work for the first time)

3rd pic is the 2017 free SAL from Linen and Threads.  Starting this today with my good friend.  We are stitching together virtually 😊.

I cannot let dd see that pink thread.  It's the same color she wants for her hair  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I've done pins for my music, piano and science students, little felt pennants for my piano "houses" (our practice incentive) and cut the decals to do the recital t-shirts. But I have no idea when/if I'll see my kids again, or if we'll be able to have a recital even by the end of the summer :(. My kids may have really full gift bags when we do :). 

• Like 6

I am knitting my son who is home from college mittens with his college logo on them. I'm seriously thinking of ordering yarn for an afgan for my mom or something.  I have a number of other projects here I could finish up.  

I am considering sewing a few face masks for us to use at least.  And if I get on a roll and they look ok I could donate some.  I need to dig around and see what I have.  I do have a couple bags of clothes that were heading to good will so I guess I could start there.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

The block sampler is on my to do list. I may just get started on that now that you've inspired me. Yours is so pretty! Where did you find the cat needle holder?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

The block sampler is on my to do list. I may just get started on that now that you've inspired me. Yours is so pretty! Where did you find the cat needle holder?

It is a lot of fun!!!  With so many people staying at home now, lots of people are joining the SALs -- LOL.

My needle minder came from here https://www.etsy.com/listing/699790559/kit-tea-cat-needle-minder-cat-magnet-cat?ref=yr_purchases

ETA:  I want them all!  My son picked out mine for me for Christmas 🙂

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Going to be honest and say I haven’t done much compared to normal as I seem to be glued to the news.  I might get the sewing machine out and finish a quilt top for a friends grandson in England that is almost done.......that said the in England and mailing it right now does not seem like a bright idea.  When I combine mailing internationally with the fact it is going to a home with a medically fragile toddler and a newborn I know it is staying here for now but might as well get all the binding attached!  

I have been doing a bit of hand quilting on a quilt I hand pieced a couple of years ago.  Maybe I will actually finish it during my isolation....that would be quite a surprise.  

335C3C1B-ABFC-4540-819F-B86FA7CBEB75.jpeg

• Like 21

I dug out the squares of the month from the program I was running before I left the library. We were crocheting a different square each month, with the idea that at the end of the year we'd assemble them into lap-sized throws. At some point, I decided to make two of each one, though, so I could make a larger blanket. 

Then I left the library job, and all of my projects-in-progress got kind of shoved into bags and boxes when I packed up my desk. 

Anyway, I sorted through the stuff last weekend and put all of the parts I have done into one bag. It looks like I will need to circle back and make the second squares for three months, after which I can decide how I'm putting them together.

Of course, I had decided to do that prep so that I could have a project to work on at knit and crochet meetups, which are now suspended indefinitely. We'll see if I can work up the enthusiasm to work on the project sitting at home.

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I'm knitting stroller blankets for upcoming grand nieces/nephews.  I'm using yarn cakes, so the colors are gradually blending across the blankets, and since they are knit in a diamond shape, the blends are more interesting than stripey.  I'm loving doing these!

I always love working with yarn that blends. A few years ago I made some baby blankets using patterned sock yarn that was made to have a fair isle effect.  I loved seeing what would happen next!

• Like 5

Not really crafting more because of the virus, just crafting because it's been too rainy to work outside but here's an oversized granny square blanket I started on a whim because of the rain. I've also been messing with Photoshop and Illustrator making scrapbook things for a blog train I sometimes participate in. Don't have anything completed yet for that though. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link to my blog or if it would be considered advertising since some items are for sale and some are free for the blog train. Working on getting my Etsy store rebooted but that might have to wait until this summer since as soon as the rain lets up a little I'll be up to my ears in garden chores and only so many "spoons" I can use to get it done.

IMG_20200320_112147901.jpg

Edited by sweet2ndchance
grammar
  • Like 14

Oh good! We just got started crafting today. DS (8yo) wanted to do a craft and finally picked sewing. He wanted to make a teddy bear but really needs to stick with straight line sewing. I found a free tutorial for an old fashioned patchwork Scotty dog, which is a bigger project than he’s done before but this DC will stick with it, so that’s what we started. He needs a bit of help but is happily occupied. Cut out 54! squares by hand with a cardboard template, and is now sewing them together.

Bonus, getting rid of s few of my MANY fabric scraps.

• Like 6

Trying to get back to scrapbooking. Each kid has 4 albums to cover their childhoods up to age 18, then we have family albums (each covers 3 years), and a Christmas album (each covers at least 10 years of Christmases). I've got the older two kids done and would like to finish youngest kiddo before she goes off to college in a year and a half. And then I'll finish off the family albums too--Christmas will be the only ongoing album once the kids are all adults. Anyway, I just finished 2013 in youngest's album (I'm a little behind). Now I will move on to 2013 in the family album.

Sewing machine was broken at Christmas. No power at all. Even dh couldn't fix it. So I'm thinking about ordering a new one for college kid to use and keep some day (will try to get mine fixed when life is back to normal). She does a lot of period costumes for the doll collection.

• Like 9

I have been painting frames for the recently repainted living room walls - only took us 20 years or so to update them.  Working on an electric chair for our Addams family dollhouse.  The cat made off with the other arm restraint, so I am working on more wires and the switch..  

IMG_20200321_155043.jpg

IMG_20200321_155035.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, CindyH in NC said:

I have been painting frames for the recently repainted living room walls - only took us 20 years or so to update them.  Working on an electric chair for our Addams family dollhouse.  The cat made off with the other arm restraint, so I am working on more wires and the switch..  

IMG_20200321_155043.jpg

IMG_20200321_155035.jpg

Oh wow!  So incredibly Cool!,,,  Is there a completed dollhouse ,  the house, to share?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Oh wow!  So incredibly Cool!,,,  Is there a completed dollhouse ,  the house, to share?  

Thanks.  Not completed yet.  We have the house painted and several pieces of furniture ready - mostly just painting already made pieces for that.  I've been working harder on the graveyard for beside the house, and now that my daughter is home from college we hope to get that done soon.  Lots of components are ready we just have to get it laid out and the trees, grass, etc. positioned.  

• Like 4

Well, both boys have gotten into sewing patchwork pillows. It keeps them busy. I thought I might start a fun little quilting project of some kind, but ended up sewing reusable masks instead. There is a lady I know collecting them for a local hospice and hospital. I also made one for my MIL and a friend who are high risk. So my crafting energy went to that. But I have enjoyed putting scraps to good use. Nearly out of elastic though and hobby lobby and wal-mart are wiped out of small elastic sizes. Apparently I’m not the only one making them, which is reassuring, I guess.

• Like 7

Great article discussing fabric for mask makings it discusses filtration abilities.  I am trying hard to stay away from the corvid19 threads as I need to sleep so if someone knows which one to repost onto please feel free!

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A craft store near me is closing so while I should be finishing some projects, I have decided I am going to learn how to knit and complete a project.  I started learning to knits years ago and could do it, started a project and never touched it again.  DD wanted to learn so here we go together. 

Other than that, I need to make a few more pet beds in spring colors. I found this really colorful spring fleece on clearance and it will make some awesome pet beds.  Plus, all the scraps become dog toys. 

• Like 5

On 3/20/2020 at 8:25 AM, mlktwins said:

It is a lot of fun!!!  With so many people staying at home now, lots of people are joining the SALs -- LOL.

My needle minder came from here https://www.etsy.com/listing/699790559/kit-tea-cat-needle-minder-cat-magnet-cat?ref=yr_purchases

ETA:  I want them all!  My son picked out mine for me for Christmas 🙂

Oh I'm so in love with those! I think I've got my first stocking stuffer collected for Christmas 2020...

21 hours ago, Kareni said:

I'm not a crafter but have been admiring all your efforts.

If you are looking for a project.... My local hospital is seeking donations of homemade masks. Yours might be, too.

Regards,

Kareni

I do appreciate this, and a PP's link to the recommended fabrics. It is just so sad and disappointing to me that our nation's health care professionals should have to rely on donations. 😭

• Like 4

On 3/20/2020 at 10:41 AM, mumto2 said:

I have been doing a bit of hand quilting on a quilt I hand pieced a couple of years ago.  Maybe I will actually finish it during my isolation....that would be quite a surprise.

335C3C1B-ABFC-4540-819F-B86FA7CBEB75.jpeg

Love this!!

• Like 1

I pulled my mini hexagon project out for tv watching with my family is just doesn’t work with mom under a huge quilt that she needs to constantly move!  I save my scraps that are big enough to cover a half inch hexagon ..........originally the plan was what is called an “insanity quilt” but have become more realistic and am now thinking a nice bag.  Anyway super portable and uses English Paper Piecing techniques.

6E860EE8-66D3-459D-852B-9F7B9D5A1CE1.jpeg

• Like 7

Forgive me for bragging on my dd15 again...  

Dd17 wanted a formal gown and dd15 offered to make it.  They collaborated on their own design, and then dd15 altered a dress pattern and made the dress.  I think it turned out lovely.

IMG_2460.JPG

• Like 19

1 minute ago, Junie said:

Forgive me for bragging on my dd15 again...  

Dd17 wanted a formal gown and dd15 offered to make it.  They collaborated on their own design, and then dd15 altered a dress pattern and made the dress.  I think it turned out lovely.

IMG_2460.JPG

It’s beautiful!  She did a terrific job!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

It’s beautiful!  She did a terrific job!

Thank you!  After we purchased all of the materials, it took her *less than a day* to actually make the dress.  I really need to figure out a way to set up an etsy shop for her so that she can build her college fund.

ETA:  This is the pattern that she used; she figured out the alterations herself.

New Look Pattern 6447 Misses' Dresses

Edited by Junie
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Junie said:

Thank you!  After we purchased all of the materials, it took her *less than a day* to actually make the dress.  I really need to figure out a way to set up an etsy shop for her so that she can build her college fund.

Since she can alter a pattern sewing for bridesmaids would be an idea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FYI = Dollar General has a small craft section!
When I go back next week for food, I think I'll buy a pack of their colored card stock.

I've been mailing hand-lettered Bible verses, Birthday cards & (soon) Easter postcards to needy friends/family.

IPet57x.jpg

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 7

@Junie, just saw you added the base pattern picture to the post.  She made a lot of changes and did a lovely job.  

One of my sil’s friends made bridesmaid’s and prom dresses for years.....she did my wedding.  It was really easy.....I picked a basic pattern and gave her everyone’s measurements.  We had one fitting. I bought the fabric because I wanted a specific shade and paid a per dress fee of like $50 each over thirty years ago.  It was the easiest wedding I was involved in in terms of bridesmaids dresses.  I always thought that would be a great side job....I just don’t enjoy dress making but your Dd obviously does and is good at it.

• Like 1

We finished DS’s Scotty dog! He could sew all the squares together but I had to do the outside strip that connects front to back (and it was tricksy! and not the best job I’ve ever done). DS sewed the eyes on and stuffed it, and i sewed it shut. He’s very happy with it.

F37BD315-1AB3-44AD-AE06-8F8DF2C2CC21.jpeg

• Like 16

Somehow I missed this thread until now.

I made the dumb mistake of making 121 crochet squares and not weaving in the ends as I made them. So now I’m slogging through that tedium before I can see them together.

And I’m excited to discover sewing on a machine.  I’ve been making masks.  But I don’t know I’ll be able to make many more bc since I’d never seen before, I didn’t have a lifetime supply in hand. Hopefully some more will come in for delivery so I can donate more.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Thought I would bump as it has been a month since anyone has posted on this thread.

One thing mask making has achieved is I have sorted through most of my fabric and have found all my ziplocks with leftover quilt bits all stored together.  Out of a couple larger bags I have been putting together small quilts.  I finished this one without cutting a single new piece of fabric except for the binding (laziness) and the backing.  Not bad considering that many of these are odd bits that might just be thrown away!  It is the size of a rather small baby quilt.

A35F6660-442D-42BB-8F72-E3402380361C.jpeg

• Like 8

Other than mask making this has been my only other crafty project thus far. I really do wear it every time I go out. Probably I'm going to make a different one soon-ish because I'm bored with wearing the same thing over and over again. I've set up the projects for my soon-to-be born grandson but haven't actually started them yet.

IMG_1887.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

Thought I would bump as it has been a month since anyone has posted on this thread.

One thing mask making has achieved is I have sorted through most of my fabric and have found all my ziplocks with leftover quilt bits all stored together.  Out of a couple larger bags I have been putting together small quilts.  I finished this one without cutting a single new piece of fabric except for the binding (laziness) and the backing.  Not bad considering that many of these are odd bits that might just be thrown away!  It is the size of a rather small baby quilt.

A35F6660-442D-42BB-8F72-E3402380361C.jpeg

I have been thinking i should make a scrap quilt but haven’t started. It turns out homeschooling three kids instead of one takes a lot more of my time, and I am busy with gardening as well, now. But I have been recently reacquainted with my scrap supply and have even more scraps from mask making, so I feel like I ought to.

• Like 1

I made some masks for a few family and friends.  It was a collaborative effort.  I had a sewing machine but no good fabric or elastic.  My sister had fabric and my daughter had elastic.  They dropped it off with me and I made what I could with what i had.    My daughter is a much better sewer than me, but she's busy with 4 kids and full-time job.  I won't post any photos - most of them are gone anyway 🙂  I kept 2 here at the house with a little more elastic to make 2-3 more if necessary.  Since only one person is going out at a time I think two is fine for now.

Other than that I haven't done any crafting since before Christmas.   I finally sat at my loom earlier this week.  After about 10 mins I realized I was not happy.. just blah.  So I walked away.  Kind of made me sad, but I think it's a by-product of this season in our lives.  Is anyone else having trouble getting their mojo going?

But, I got the soap making bug after a 2 yr hiatus (and a need for more soap!! LOL).   I made some with a new mold on Sunday and now they're curing..   Oh, and I went back to my loom today.  I definitely had to force myself to do it, but this time I'm glad I did it.  I felt more at peace doing it and was happy with my progress.  Here's two photos from my work.

20200512_170728.jpg

20200512_165035.jpg

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 12

I spent some time today on customizing masks (the goal is to have enough to not have to do extra laundry just for masks, and be able to grab one each time someone leaves the house.) 

79A623A6-9D22-41C3-8399-649C2AA8B12D.jpeg

• Like 13

• 1 month later...

I decided to bump this thread back up and hopefully see what everyone has been doing for the past month plus!

I have a stack of animal blocks that I made for what is now a UFO that I decided to repurpose into smaller quilted objects.  I have quite a bit of the blue background which I feel guilty using in other projects while the blocks sit in a zip lock bag so this is me being productive and using what I have up.  My first is a table runner using the hedgehog and rabbit.

DF69AEE3-699E-41EA-9CF3-6D5B9F903D7B.jpeg

• Like 11

My son and his wife are moving into their first home (one they purchased and not rented) today. We live in Florida where my parents and I all have orange trees in our yards. So for a housewarming gift, I bought them the same variety orange tree we have and then made them this bird house gift box. When we give them the tree, I am going to hang the box in the tree and place some cash and gift cards inside.

IMG_2259.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I haven't done a whole lot.  I have gotten way too busy.

But my new goal is to use my scanner to digitize all of my slides.  It will be a year or two before they are all done, and I may get fed up and ship them off to be done by someone else, but I will give it my best shot.

I have done 10 slides so far.  I have around 2,000 and my dad just moved here and I have no idea how many he has, it will be somewhere in the 10k range.  I would actually like to get a projector and look at them on the big screen first to see what I even want digitized.  But we will see about that.

• Like 5

I'm getting geared up to teach this fall, and so are the friends from the piano books I use for preschoolers and primary 🙂. (the elephant and pig got face shields-their noses are not mask compliant 🙂 ). 

45D70212-6496-4CE7-9695-315451429BAD.jpeg

57CF5735-42A3-43BC-8AB8-5ABEBA53D81A.jpeg

• Like 9

5 hours ago, DawnM said:

But my new goal is to use my scanner to digitize all of my slides.  It will be a year or two before they are all done, and I may get fed up and ship them off to be done by someone else, but I will give it my best shot.

I have done 10 slides so far.  I have around 2,000 and my dad just moved here and I have no idea how many he has, it will be somewhere in the 10k range.  I would actually like to get a projector and look at them on the big screen first to see what I even want digitized.  But we will see about that.

Just sending some encouragement your way!
Yes, it's a big project, but it's very, very rewarding, esp. if you can watch them with your Dad & make notes re: people/history.

I ended up selecting 100 slides out of 4 suitcases (4K!) & sent them to ScanCafe.com.
They are mailed to Indiana, scanned there, then digitally edited (to improve color) overseas.  Your slides never leave Indiana.
IMO, the color was very faded in our slides & the editing process was required.
It really worked well for us (esp. after I broke the slide scanner my cousin loaned me . . . . ).

I've also scanned photos (4 at a time) on our flat bed scanner & have LOVED being able to see/share them now with the family.
It's really a very rewarding project.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1