Menu

Crafting- Coronavirus edition!

DawnM

Ok, I had a thought on the slides.

Instead of scanning them all up front, I think I will see if I can get a used slide projector and then dad and I can watch them together and he can help me label them.  That would give us hours and hours of time together and something to do for him.

That will also allow me to find the slides we definitely want to get digitized, etc....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Ok, I had a thought on the slides.

Instead of scanning them all up front, I think I will see if I can get a used slide projector and then dad and I can watch them together and he can help me label them.  That would give us hours and hours of time together and something to do for him.

That will also allow me to find the slides we definitely want to get digitized, etc....

This is a wonderful idea!  My dad passed away a few years ago, and left dozens of carousels of slides going back 60+ years.  My sibs, my mom, and I got together and looked at many of the slides -- and couldn't identify numerous people and places.  Wish we'd thought to either go through the slides with Dad, or ask him to label them. 

Same thing happened to dh. Some of the slides he and his sibs inherited are marked with year, but nothing else.  

• Like 2

My energy has gone into gardening. It’s not really crafting, but I did instal hooks and hang five hanging baskets yesterday. I planted them from seed and timed them so they’d be red(magenta) white, and blue in time for the 4th. My seed packet lied and my petunias are more purple than magenta. 🤣

Since I’m going full Plant Lady, I may learn to make some plant hangers . . . kind of a lighter, more modern version of the 70s macrame ones. 

I wish I had the talent and inclination to do miniatures because now that I know Book Nooks are a thing I’m OBSESSED and really want one (or five) on my bookshelves.

edited to add the photo because who WOUKDN’T want one of these???

680E34CB-C3A6-4068-981B-8BD2089A5F8E.jpeg

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 12

I finished, but need to frame, a cross-stitch project, and I have almost kept up with my SAL from Peppermint Purple (blackwork boxes in a big sampler). She threw in a DECISION border--words?, no words?, which words?--and that is where I stopped. I can triple check my counting and skip it for later, but I just haven't yet. I always stitch from behind anyway (do several boxes at a time), so it shouldn't be hard to catch up.

One of the blackwork groups I joined on FB had a free pattern that I am attempting to turn into a biscornu--never made one before. 

We're mostly gardening and doing household projects at the moment, but I sometimes like to sit in front of the TV with some sewing.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, kbutton said:

One of the blackwork groups I joined on FB had a free pattern that I am attempting to turn into a biscornu--never made one before

I had to look up what a biscornu is........please show us when you are done!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

I finished, but need to frame, a cross-stitch project, and I have almost kept up with my SAL from Peppermint Purple (blackwork boxes in a big sampler). She threw in a DECISION border--words?, no words?, which words?--and that is where I stopped. I can triple check my counting and skip it for later, but I just haven't yet. I always stitch from behind anyway (do several boxes at a time), so it shouldn't be hard to catch up.

One of the blackwork groups I joined on FB had a free pattern that I am attempting to turn into a biscornu--never made one before. 

We're mostly gardening and doing household projects at the moment, but I sometimes like to sit in front of the TV with some sewing.

I just googled that SAL - it looks REALLY fun!  Part of me really wants to join, and the other part says who am I kidding, where would I find the time for that.  But, if I did the SAL instead of reading covid news online obsessively, I would have PLENTY of time for the SAL...

I'll think about it while I sew some masks today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TrixieB said:

I just googled that SAL - it looks REALLY fun!  Part of me really wants to join, and the other part says who am I kidding, where would I find the time for that.  But, if I did the SAL instead of reading covid news online obsessively, I would have PLENTY of time for the SAL...

And this is why I wanted to bump this thread and give myself another non Covid social outlet!   I really want to talk about crafting a bit most days! Maybe that will motivate me to craft.......Sad but true I am spending way too much time obsessing over something I can’t do anything about beyond what I am already doing.  While I live in a new hotspot........

I did manage to buy craft supplies a couple of weeks ago and my first ever purchased quilt kit arrived yesterday.  Everything in a box which oddly reminded me of Sonlight box days when my kids were little.  They even sent thread.❤️  I have a different one coming in about two weeks too!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

My energy has gone into gardening. It’s not really crafting, but I did instal hooks and hang five hanging baskets yesterday. I planted them from seed and timed them so they’d be red(magenta) white, and blue in time for the 4th. My seed packet lied and my petunias are more purple than magenta. 🤣

Since I’m going full Plant Lady, I may learn to make some plant hangers . . . kind of a lighter, more modern version of the 70s macrame ones. 

I wish I had the talent and inclination to do miniatures because now that I know Book Nooks are a thing I’m OBSESSED and really want one (or five) on my bookshelves.

I love that photo.......I definitely would love a book nook!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrixieB said:

I find that blackwork (mostly all backstitching) goes a lot faster for me than regular cross-stitch, but YMMV. Some people get really fancy and use multiple colors per block, which would slow me down. I am doing each block and its outline in one color, and it goes quite quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

I find that blackwork (mostly all backstitching) goes a lot faster for me than regular cross-stitch, but YMMV. Some people get really fancy and use multiple colors per block, which would slow me down. I am doing each block and its outline in one color, and it goes quite quickly. 

I didn't think about that -- it does seem that it would be a lot faster than regular cross-stitch.

Do you mean that you are using a different color for each block and its outline (meaning, one block/outline is yellow, and the next is purple, and so on)?  If this is what you're doing, how did you decide on the colors?

2 hours ago, TrixieB said:

I didn't think about that -- it does seem that it would be a lot faster than regular cross-stitch.

Do you mean that you are using a different color for each block and its outline (meaning, one block/outline is yellow, and the next is purple, and so on)?  If this is what you're doing, how did you decide on the colors?

Yes, this is how I do it.

I was planning on doing a variegated thread and then using single colors from the variegated thread for the other blocks, but I chose a fabric that was just a wee bit too dark as I do my blackwork in single thread. When that didn't work out, I just chose several colors I liked. My color choices are not particularly remarkable, and I wasn't sure I would like them, but my mom, DH, and kids all really like it.

The pattern does come with color suggestions.

My background fabric is a light cocoa color, and I have brown, dark blue-ish green, aqua, navy blue, dark blue, and some kind of peachy color all in there. I reuse the colors in the same order each time. 

11 hours ago, kbutton said:

Yes, this is how I do it.

I was planning on doing a variegated thread and then using single colors from the variegated thread for the other blocks, but I chose a fabric that was just a wee bit too dark as I do my blackwork in single thread. When that didn't work out, I just chose several colors I liked. My color choices are not particularly remarkable, and I wasn't sure I would like them, but my mom, DH, and kids all really like it.

The pattern does come with color suggestions.

My background fabric is a light cocoa color, and I have brown, dark blue-ish green, aqua, navy blue, dark blue, and some kind of peachy color all in there. I reuse the colors in the same order each time. 

I am doing PP's SAL too and another paid SAL that is cross-stitch and blackwork.  I love doing the blackwork - very relaxing!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

I am doing PP's SAL too and another paid SAL that is cross-stitch and blackwork.  I love doing the blackwork - very relaxing!

If you mentioned PP's SAL somewhere on the boards, that might be where I heard about it. I know someone on here introduced me to the idea. I love the entire concept of the SAL, and I love seeing people's work on the Facebook group.

I need to choose a border and get on that...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kbutton said:

If you mentioned PP's SAL somewhere on the boards, that might be where I heard about it. I know someone on here introduced me to the idea. I love the entire concept of the SAL, and I love seeing people's work on the Facebook group.

I need to choose a border and get on that...

Yes, I think it was me.  So much fun.  And...she is a doing a complimentary piece (same size) for next year.  I am a few weeks behind because I was catching up on a different SAL, but I love PP.  

I am waiting until the end for the border -- LOL.  I just keep saving the ones I love in FB :-).

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 2:07 PM, KungFuPanda said:

Yes, I definitely want one of these. That's just amazing! Also, are you following a tutorial for the macrame? I've been interested in making those lately too. I'm even thinking about making bigger ones for hanging cat beds.

I figured I would post some progress pictures.  I started stitching again last fall and it is my therapy at the moment 😁.  Very relaxing and keeps my mind off other things.

The 1st pic is from a year long SAL (stitch along) where a new part of the pattern is released every month.  I didn't start this one until late so trying to do at least 2 a month to be finished in December.  This is a paid SAL by Lesley Teare called Birds and Blackwork.

The 2nd pic is the free year long SAL by Peppermint Purple.  A block of the pattern is released each week.  I am a few weeks behind on this one, but you get the idea.

The 3rd pic is a free year long Quaker sampler SAL by Linen and Threads.  July’s pattern is coming out tomorrow I think.

The nice thing about these SALs is that it gives me something to look forward to every week or month.

I thought cross-stitch was a dying craft, but there are a ton of cross-stitch FB groups out there that are very busy - especially since March.

9A112DF9-617D-43F9-84F5-B53B7F4EE0F4.jpeg

1884DC15-8AE8-436C-ADDF-F4B67509EE95.jpeg

4494E6F5-34BE-415F-B6A4-FAE9E99F08AE.jpeg

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Yes, I definitely want one of these. That's just amazing! Also, are you following a tutorial for the macrame? I've been interested in making those lately too. I'm even thinking about making bigger ones for hanging cat beds.

I haven’t gotten that far. I remember making one in an art class in a middle school in the mid 80s and it wasn’t that hard. My daughter got me a book that showed you how to make terrariums and yarn/bead hangers so I did one of those. I just need to get these plants off surfaces. They’re summering outside now, but I’ll have to find space again this fall so I’m looking up. 😬

This looks like what I made:

EF5A6B6C-6E86-4292-BDFC-92A0F3796098.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I haven’t gotten that far. I remember making one in an art class in a middle school in the mid 80s and it wasn’t that hard. My daughter got me a book that showed you how to make terrariums and yarn/bead hangers so I did one of those. I just need to get these plants off surfaces. They’re summering outside now, but I’ll have to find space again this fall so I’m looking up. 😬

EF5A6B6C-6E86-4292-BDFC-92A0F3796098.jpeg

Beautiful!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Where do you get rings to start your project? I think my mom said she's having trouble getting them.

5 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I figured I would post some progress pictures.  I started stithcing again last fall and it is my therapy at the moment 😁.  Very relaxing and keeps my mind other things.

The 1st pic is from a year long SAL (stitch along) where a new part of the pattern is released every month.  I didn't start this one until late so trying to do at least 2 a month to be finished in December.  This is a paid SAL by Lesley Teare called Birds and Blackwork.

The 2nd pic is the free year long SAL by Peppermint Purple.  A block of the pattern is released each week.  I am a few weeks behind on this one, but you get the idea.

The 3rd pic is a free year long Quaker sampler SAL by Linen and Threads.  July’s pattern is coming out tomorrow I think.

The nice thing about these SALs is that it gives me something to look forward to every week or month.

I thought cross-stitch was a dying craft, but there a ton of cross-stitch FB groups out there that are very busy - especially since March.

Your projects are beautiful!  I'm picking up curbside orders so I can get started in the next couple of days.

One question for you and anyone else who stitches: what do you use for hoop/frame while working?  I think I have some stretcher bars in the basement somewhere but not sure if they're the right size.

Edited by TrixieB
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, TrixieB said:

Your projects are beautiful!  I'm picking up curbside orders so I can get started in the next couple of days.

One question for you and anyone else who stitches: what do you use for hoop/frame while working?  I think I have some stretcher bars in the basement somewhere but not sure if they're the right size.

Thank you :-)!!!

What fun!  What are you going to get started on?

I use a Q-Snap https://www.123stitch.com/item/Q-Snap-11x11-Qsnap/123-2506 .  They come in different sizes.  I have a 6 x 6 and and 8 x 8.  I use my 11 x 11 the most (for the bottom 2 pics posted above) and I have the 1st pic on an 11 x 17.  From being on various FB groups since the fall, people seem to stitch in hand, use hoops, have big Lowery Stands (or another brand).  But...a lot of people use the Q-Snaps.  I don't recommend the cheaper brands at Hobby Lobby and Michaels.  Get the Q-Snap brand.  And...if you find they get loose on you, put pieces of felt, leftover fabric, or white papers towels under the snaps to keep the tension tighter.  You should not need to do this with new ones though :-).

Also, things got crazy with stitchers during the Pandemic.  I mean, you would have thought fabric, floss, Q-snaps, etc. were essential -- LOL.  Actually they really were because they do tend help people with anxiety and depression.  So interesting.  It is for sure a stress reliever for me.

Anyway, the store I listed above is great for on-line supplies and shipping is only $3.49 for any order amount.  A lot of fabric, DMC (price is the same as at Michael's), etc. was out of stock at a lot of places for a while.  The DMC facility in New Jersey was shut down for at least a month.  Things are just now gearing back up and stock is getting better.  Just wanted you to know it isn't normally like that if you encounter problems finding what you want.

Happy Stitching!

ETA:  If you are doing PP or L&T SALS, they have FB groups where you can post your work and see everyone's color/fabric variations.  Nice, low drama (usually groups).  Both groups are very active.

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mlktwins said:

Thank you :-)!!!

What fun!  What are you going to get started on?

I use a Q-Snap https://www.123stitch.com/item/Q-Snap-11x11-Qsnap/123-2506 .  They come in different sizes.  I have a 6 x 6 and and 8 x 8.  I use my 11 x 11 the most (for the bottom 2 pics posted above) and I have the 1st pic on an 11 x 17.  From being on various FB groups since the fall, people seem to stitch in hand, use hoops, have big Lowery Stands (or another brand).  But...a lot of people use the Q-Snaps.  I don't recommend the cheaper brands at Hobby Lobby and Michaels.  Get the Q-Snap brand.  And...if you find they get loose on you, put pieces of felt, leftover fabric, or white papers towels under the snaps to keep the tension tighter.  You should not need to do this with new ones though :-).

Also, things got crazy with stitchers during the Pandemic.  I mean, you would have thought fabric, floss, Q-snaps, etc. were essential -- LOL.  Actually they really were because they do tend help people with anxiety and depression.  So interesting.  It is for sure a stress reliever for me.

Anyway, the store I listed above is great for on-line supplies and shipping is only $3.49 for any order amount.  A lot of fabric, DMC (price is the same as at Michael's), etc. was out of stock at a lot of places for a while.  The DMC facility in New Jersey was shut down for at least a month.  Things are just now gearing back up and stock is getting better.  Just wanted you to know it isn't normally like that if you encounter problems finding what you want.

Happy Stitching!

ETA:  If you are doing PP or L&T SALS, they have FB groups where you can post your work and see everyone's color/fabric variations.  Nice, low drama (usually groups).  Both groups are very active.

Thank you so much for all the info!  I am going to do the PP SAL.

• Like 2

I love all the stitching, but ever since my fourth kid my eyesight isn’t what it used to be and I can’t see well enough to stitch on linen.  Boo! Here is my lockdown project...when the schools shut down first we made a run on the library the afternoon it closed and the next day I made an emergency trip to the yarn store.  I have never attached a picture to a post so I hope it works.

2D1B646F-7516-4DCC-8BF1-726276366DD4.jpeg

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 3:46 PM, dmmetler said:

I'm getting geared up to teach this fall, and so are the friends from the piano books I use for preschoolers and primary 🙂. (the elephant and pig got face shields-their noses are not mask compliant 🙂 ). 

45D70212-6496-4CE7-9695-315451429BAD.jpeg

57CF5735-42A3-43BC-8AB8-5ABEBA53D81A.jpeg

I thought of all these masked friends when I saw this pattern for knitting face masks https://knitlife.tistory.com/category/pattern.  I love how they all have face masks!  A local knit shop has apparently masked their mascot stuffed bear using this knitted pattern and thought I would share here. 

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Did you get started on your SAL?  Would love to see how you are doing - if you want to share :-)!!!  

I did get started, thanks for asking!

I decided to use 16 ct Aida and I outlined a couple blocks and started filling in two blocks and realized two things.  16 ct Aida is just too small for my old eyes and it gave me a terrible headache.  And some of the colors I chose were too light.

So I started over with 14 ct Aida which is so much easier to see, even though you'd think there wouldn't be much difference between 16 and 14 ct.  I'm planning to work on my SAL more today, and I'll try to post a picture by the end of the weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TrixieB said:

I did get started, thanks for asking!

I decided to use 16 ct Aida and I outlined a couple blocks and started filling in two blocks and realized two things.  16 ct Aida is just too small for my old eyes and it gave me a terrible headache.  And some of the colors I chose were too light.

So I started over with 14 ct Aida which is so much easier to see, even though you'd think there wouldn't be much difference between 16 and 14 ct.  I'm planning to work on my SAL more today, and I'll try to post a picture by the end of the weekend.

Yes, I have old eyes too!  I'm doing 14 count for my PP, 16 count for the Birds and Blackwork SAL, and 20 count (LOL) for my Linen & Threads SAL.  Can tell a definite difference when stitching.  I use a booklight around my neck to see better.  And...there are magnifiers, etc., but I'm not ready for those yet.

• Like 1

I finished cleaning and organizing my craft room, does that count?? I share the room with the sugar gliders, so absolutely everything has to be in a closed container, lol. 

We've been decluttering the whole house, so I wound up with a bit more space. I'm designating a big box to hold ongoing projects - mostly scrapbooking pages and other paper crafts, so they can mostly fit into those 12x12-ish plastic envelopes. I like to have a few things going but I can't leave it all out. I'm going to make myself start something . . . 

On 6/28/2020 at 7:33 AM, DawnM said:

Instead of scanning them all up front, I think I will see if I can get a used slide projector 

If you don't need or want to view the slides on the wall, you can get slide viewers for about thirty bucks. Not quite as fun as a projector, but much smaller and easier to move around if you have space issues. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

What are people working on these days?

I finished a digital scrapbook album this summer.  I used Costco to print it.

After making a bazillion masks, I took a break from sewing.  I'm still holding to my 2015 pledge to not buy more fabric unless specifically needed to finish out a project.  I am cutting out a throw quilt for my baby nephew right now, and I am pretty close to using up my stash.  I will have enough for one more throw, I think, and then I will be done. It's kind of crazy. 

Fabric is so expensive now that I will probably be done sewing for a season as a general hobby.

• Like 1

I have a few projects in progress and seem to be making some progress on all.  Not normal progress, some progress.😉Lots of semi finished quilts sitting around that I need to finish while I still know where the remaining fabric is.  I started knitting a bit again which has been fun.

I finally finished assembling my quilt kit which was great fun except I needed a horizontal quilt for my bed and this quilt was designed to go on the bed vertical (because of the foot board and how hubby and I like the covers over us).  It was purchased because hubby wanted another peach and green quilt for our bedroom after the 30yo wore out.  This was the best deal I could find fabric color wise and I didn’t think about it being directional.  It took me quite awhile to figure out how to shift things and was very grateful to have enough of extra fabric to make it all work.  The hearts are my addition.  I now have batting purchased and resting in the garage for a couple of days before I start quilting it.  

A4364B7A-F5EE-4B01-AC8F-A8409E8C46EE.jpeg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Decided to bump this.......the sad reality is the thread title is still appropriate.

One of my “frivolous” purchases was a curved hexagon ruler so I could participate in a quilt along.  I am way behind because I started late but here is my quilt so far.  It’s English Paper Piecing btw........

0AD27E22-B979-48D9-8E69-EC982EB7AACC.jpeg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Decided to bump this.......the sad reality is the thread title is still appropriate.

One of my “frivolous” purchases was a curved hexagon ruler so I could participate in a quilt along.  I am way behind because I started late but here is my quilt so far.  It’s English Paper Piecing btw........

0AD27E22-B979-48D9-8E69-EC982EB7AACC.jpeg

Beautiful! The curve in the petals is amazing! I have a EPP project I want to do but I'm a little nervous since I've never done one before. But having one, would be a great project to take to doctor's appointments to keep my hands busy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Beautiful! The curve in the petals is amazing! I have a EPP project I want to do but I'm a little nervous since I've never done one before. But having one, would be a great project to take to doctor's appointments to keep my hands busy.

42 minutes ago, Danae said:

How funny, I just opened this thread because I started an English paper piecing project today!  I’ve only done strip piecing before, so this is a new thing for me.  I prepped a bunch of hexagons and I’m really liking that this is a hand-held craft that I don’t need to dig out the sewing machine for every time I want to work on it. 

I have hauled EPP projects all over the place with me and love the fact that a quart size zip lock holds hours of entertainment.  I have been known to tuck it in pockets with nail clippers instead of scissors.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 2:24 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

After making a bazillion masks, I took a break from sewing.  I'm still holding to my 2015 pledge to not buy more fabric unless specifically needed to finish out a project.  I am cutting out a throw quilt for my baby nephew right now, and I am pretty close to using up my stash.  I will have enough for one more throw, I think, and then I will be done. It's kind of crazy. 

I buy paper instead of fabric, but color me impressed nonetheless. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...