Menu

is Amazon backlogged or something?

ktgrok

I was browsing for some things and realized NOTHING was coming up at two day delivery! Everything I looked at said Prime, but delivery would be Monday! Normally I can get next day delivery over 35 bucks, and otherwise 2 day delivery. Heck, a lot of stuff I can get same day if I order early enough in the morning. None of that was coming up - anyone else seeing this?

• Like 1

Im sure they are back logged!  So far, everything from Amazon has arrived on time for us. Yesterday at lunch I ordered something for my daughter on Amazon. It was delivered before 7am today. Less than 24 hour turn around ! LOL It really is a crazy, that I can order something in Washington, sitting in my car at noon, and have it arrive at her house in Nevada 19 hours later. We I was a kid, my mom ordered from catalogs. Hand written order forms, sent with a check and it may get delivered in a couple weeks (if they still had it in stock).  

• Like 7

I heard they had their biggest sale day ever the other day (by number of items sold). I used to be a snot about 2 day delivery but not since reading about conditions in their warehouses. Now, I'm a proponent of take-your-time. I can wait a few extra days vs. harming workers' health.

Kinda refreshing when I was putting in orders before Thanksgiving and Amazon said no delivery could be guaranteed on the Monday after Thanksgiving. I realized for things to get to me then (because I live in the middle of nowhere), they'd have to have people working on Thanksgiving packing things up. Nope. I can wait another day or two.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, klmama said:

How do you do that?

as you go through checkout, and it tells you what day it will be delivered, or you can have everything in one delivery, or delay delivery and get a credit (I never use them, so I dont' really pay attention.

but it's in the checkout process, usually just before you do your final click to confirm the order.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I heard they had their biggest sale day ever the other day (by number of items sold). I used to be a snot about 2 day delivery but not since reading about conditions in their warehouses. Now, I'm a proponent of take-your-time. I can wait a few extra days vs. harming workers' health.

Kinda refreshing when I was putting in orders before Thanksgiving and Amazon said no delivery could be guaranteed on the Monday after Thanksgiving. I realized for things to get to me then (because I live in the middle of nowhere), they'd have to have people working on Thanksgiving packing things up. Nope. I can wait another day or two.

Yeah, I'm okay with waiting, but wasn't expecting that so now i have to figure out how to get stuff for the kids for St. Nicholas day without them seeing me do it. Oldest DS will be here this afternoon, but he won't babysit the 2 yr old, and she's getting to the age where it's a lot harder to just throw it in the cart and not have her notice. Wanted to get slipper socks for them, as well as gold coins, and theoretically i could send DS to go get those for the younger ones and himself but he'd probably come home with something bizarre, lol. And DH works until 11p tonight, and Thursday won't be home until near bedtime, so he's not much help. 

Trying to find something on Shipt or Prime Now but striking out. 

• Like 1

I haven’t had a real issue. I did place an order over the weekend (which always delays the date they give IME), and we had a big storm Sun into Mon (obvious issue), but still got my delivery late last night.

That’s not to say I haven’t seen items in my searches with later dates, I just haven’t (yet) had issues finding ones that won’t delay.

11 hours ago, Plum said:

Yep. They must be slammed. I had one delivery that just didn't make it and I had to order a replacement. It was supposed to be delivered on Black Friday. Deliveries here from relatives have been pushed back and vice-versa. I tried to choose my delivery day when I could. I like getting the digital credit and only having to worry about deliveries on one day. 

I did the delivery day, too, but even some of those have been pushed back a day.  

10 minutes ago, Plum said:

Same. I just checked again and the deliveries that were supposed arrive today are going to be late. At least for me, I think UPS is having problems delivering everything. We are on the outskirts of town and considering what time our items are usually delivered, I would guess we are last on the route which is why they don't always make it here. 

Most of our things start out with UPS, but end up being delivered by local mail. Like you, we live on the outskirts of town, *almost* in the country.

10 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I used to be a snot about 2 day delivery but not since reading about conditions in their warehouses. Now, I'm a proponent of take-your-time. I can wait a few extra days vs. harming workers' health. 

I've been more conscious of this as well, and try to wait whenever I can. I hope that is enough to help the workers! I really need to cut back on my Amazon purchases, regardless.

I also enjoy getting the credit for digital items when I choose this option. I recently got a kindle book for free that I'd been waiting on for a year. I noticed the price of the book dropped from $15 to $3 temporarily, and my digital credits covered that. I was very pleased with myself!

• Like 2

Ugh. I'm such a dork. I don't shop Black Friday sales so it didn't hit me when I tried to place an order on Amazon and got a crazy delivery date.  It didn't occur to me until this thread that they were slammed. I couldn't figure out why my small, single-item order would take six days to get to me from the warehouse that's less than 1 & 1/2 hours away. 

For those talking about UPS later deliveries, I don't think living almost rural is the issue for your later delivery times. I'm smack in the middle of a subdivision smack in the middle of a city smack in the middle of the county, mere miles from their distribution location and my delivery time has been moved from "by 5:00pm" to "by 9:00pm".  I wonder if they just automatically tack on extra time for all of their routes during this time of the year? Oh, and I've also had items delivered the day after they were supposed to be (at all times of the year), so I always wondered what was up with that when the online thing says it's out for delivery.  'Tis a mystery to me.  At least with the online tracking, if it doesn't say "delivered" I don't panic and think it grew legs and walked off my patio.  😉

4 hours ago, Pen said:

Absolutely! And so is UPS! 

Two UPS delivery trucks so far this morning and both trucks have two workers delivering. I do stay in a condo complex and usually get at least 3 UPS trucks per day prior to Christmas. An Amazon Prime truck was also here.

I saw boxes of Huggies diapers in the truck so the rainy weather probably contributed to more Amazon Prime orders.

3 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I think it's also a case of underpromising. Every item that said Monday delivery, including the ones where I chose Monday and received a credit, arrived within a day or two.

I hope so!  I ordered something not Christmas related for dd at college and I would love for her to get it before monday.  Generally, she gets deliveries in about 24 hours, so nearly a week for an amazon prime delivery is odd!

A bunch of stuff I ordered Sunday or Monday wasn't supposed to be here until Friday but it all got here today.

I know UPS is having A LOT of problems this year, I think they said to guarantee Christmas delivery you needed to have everything shipped before the 12th!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

Many of the items I ordered are showing up 1-2 days early.  Which is its own set of problems when you are trying to intercept them before the kids see what’s printed on the box or the shape of the packaging.

My last package actually came with a time frame: 2:45-5 pm. Weird but it was nice knowing that I didn't have to worry about any packages being delivered while out running errands.

while many of the items I've been ordering say they want to deliver on Monday (or I can choose my "delivery day" - and they'll put it into as few boxes as possible) - I ordered a couple items this morning that I needed today (and were available for 1-day delivery).  they were delivered this afternoon.

7 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

while many of the items I've been ordering say they want to deliver on Monday (or I can choose my "delivery day" - and they'll put it into as few boxes as possible) - I ordered a couple items this morning that I needed today (and were available for 1-day delivery).  they were delivered this afternoon.

When I looked the other day there was nothing for 1 day delivery. Usually you can sort things by Prime, or by 1 day delivery, etc, in a little menu on the top left. Except that day those options were not there at all - it was really weird. It was like I'd imagined fast delivery and it has never happened. 

In good news DH will be able to go to the store today after work to get the St. Nicholas stuff. Which saves my behind because I have no idea how I was going to manage it otherwise. We have a tradition of giving slippers for st. nicholas day (not sure how that started) and nowhere was gong to be able to get them to me, not even walmart pick up or target or what not. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

When I looked the other day there was nothing for 1 day delivery. Usually you can sort things by Prime, or by 1 day delivery, etc, in a little menu on the top left. Except that day those options were not there at all - it was really weird. It was like I'd imagined fast delivery and it has never happened. 

well, I did have things that were supposed to arrive today (some still are) - that are coming tomorrow - or maybe? Monday (different items.)  not all of them are gifts.  I've got some winter clothes in there for dudeling. . . .  he's a royal pain about clothes, and even worse about shoes.   smh. 

We don’t ever have same day here in rural area. I count on 2 day for things like...   oh no, almost out of _____ , and that’s running delayed currently.  Also some things I was considering but trying to make a careful decision on, when I decided Yes, found they have disappeared entirely— maybe truly sold out??? I dunno. 

• Sad 1

There are quite a few armed robberies on UPS trucks and the Florida incident has four fatalities including the UPS driver and a bystander.

“(CNN)- An armed robbery at a Florida jewelry store Thursday led to the hijacking of a UPS truck and a massive police chase that ended in a fatal shootout in Broward County.

Four people were killed -- the two robbery suspects who stole the truck, the UPS driver and a bystander at the end of the chase, FBI Special Agent in Charge George Piro said.” https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/12/05/us/florida-ups-truck-police-chase/index.html

“SAN JOSE (KPIX) — Three UPS trucks have been targeted by two armed robbers in South San Jose in the past three days, according to authorities in the South Bay.

New surveillance video exclusively obtained by KPIX 5 Thursday caught the latest robbery on camera as it happened Wednesday night.

The robberies occurred over two nights beginning Tuesday, December 3rd. The first incident occurred at about 6:40 p.m. in the area of Beech Grove Court and Banana Grove Lane.

The second robbery Wednesday night at about 8 p.m. in the area of Sand Point Drive and Quimby Road. The third happened about 45 minutes later on War Admiral Avenue. and Snow Drive.

“It’s shocking.  It’s scary,” said a neighbor who lives on War Admiral Avenue who did not want to be identified.

Surveillance video of the third robbery shows the driver walking up to a porch to make his delivery.  Seconds later he is seen walking back to his truck.

But before he can get there, he is robbed at gunpoint, forced to get down on his knees with his hands up.

A shadowy figure then apparently commands the driver to lie face down on the street. The whole scene illuminated only by the driver’s truck headlights.

“To even think that that person was following the truck driver and this week being Cyber Monday,” the neighbor said.

Fortunately the driver was not injured in the incident. San Jose Police said in all three cases there were two suspects, both described as adult males about six feet tall, one armed with a handgun and both wearing ski masks and dark clothing.

Police said they robbed the UPS trucks of several packages, before driving off in a black Honda sedan.

“This is not a good time for postal, UPS or Amazon workers. These are scary days. People are getting desperate,” the neighbor said.” https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/12/05/caught-on-camera-armed-suspects-rob-ups-truck-san-jose/

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, Plum said:

The kids and I are going to do this today 🙂

I like the idea of putting out snacks.   2ds was a "driver helper" during christmas one year.  he loved it - the driver was a great guy, and people are always happy to see packages be delivered.

I've been watching one item that keeps saying "it "can" still arrive by Dec. 9" - implying it might not . . . . . I just checked the tracking number.  there was a delay at the origin.  it was never updated.  it's in seattle - and I'll probably have it tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Arcadia said:

“This is not a good time for postal, UPS or Amazon workers. These are scary days. People are getting desperate,” the neighbor said.” https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/12/05/caught-on-camera-armed-suspects-rob-ups-truck-san-jose/

no - people are getting greedy, and more brazen.

• Like 4

We get our deliveries via an Amazon truck mostly, and it's been all over. I just got a bunch of stuff that was supposed to arrive next week. Other things were a day or so late this week.

Thankfully most of the gifts I'm buying this year are on Amazon or Etsy, and everything is at least on it's way. 

• Like 2

On 12/4/2019 at 12:13 AM, RootAnn said:

Like you, recently, I read an article about how they work in the Amazon warehouses. As I recall, the Robots fetch the products and deliver them to the people and the people are trying desperately to keep up with the Robots.

We ordered something from an Amazon 3rd party seller for DD, at 334 P.M., E.S.T., on the 5th, because it isn't available directly from Amazon at this time. Amazon must be out of stock. This morning, December 7th, UPS is "Preparing for Delivery Today".  I had no idea where it would be shipped from (some of the listings show that but this one didn't).  They had specified 11 to 16 December delivery when I placed the order. DD has Prime, but none of the 3rd party Amazon Sellers had Prime available for this item and I had it in my cart so we bought it for her. Possibly she can get it from her Mail Room later today.

On 12/4/2019 at 9:30 AM, OH_Homeschooler said:

I also enjoy getting the credit for digital items when I choose this option. I recently got a kindle book for free that I'd been waiting on for a year. I noticed the price of the book dropped from $15 to $3 temporarily, and my digital credits covered that. I was very pleased with myself!

If you put things on a wishlist, Amazon will usually (always? not sure) let you know when there's a big price drop. I get an email and a notification on my phone (for which you'd have to allow notifications). 

I've gotten lots of random deals this way over the years.