Menu

Supportive sandals?

Beaniemom

I’m to the point where I think I might have to wear my athletic shoes almost all the time.  My knees are having issues again (I’ve done PT previously) and know that my footwear choices are not helping. I am living in Hawaii though where sandal and flip flop wear is most common and confortable.  I love the ease and comfort of sandals here but the pain is not worth it.  

Are there sandals that are supportive that will hold up through almost daily wear? I’ve had bad luck in the past with pricy sandals falling apart on me.  

2 hours ago, BlueGables said:

I've have & love Olukai O'hana's. Way more than I want to pay but for 2 years I've worn them every waking summer hour. The days I have tried to go without my feet let me know. 

I just looked and they have these at the Navy Exchange here! I’ll have to go try some on. 

• Like 1

I have a pair of Chacos and Birkenstocks that I alternative in the summer. The Birkenstocks are pricey but last a long time. They are extremely comfortable. The Chacos are comfortable too - but they are more rugged - washable, solid grip. The Chacos are expensive but very supportive and after wearing for two years (I think) - they still look brand new. The Birkenstocks are easy just to slip your feet into, but I have to stop and tighten the strap on the Chacos I have. 

7 hours ago, Beaniemom said:

I just looked and they have these at the Navy Exchange here! I’ll have to go try some on. 

If you have an exchange, check out the Okadashi if they have them. (My PX does). They’re actually pretty cheap and can be found at Walgreens even, but seem comfy and supportive. Full disclosure, I don’t own any... yet. 

As an aside, I’ve ordered the OluKai flips two years in a row because I want some SO much, but they actually have too much support for my flat feet and I’ve sent them back both times. So you might love them since you need support! They’re super cute and definitely have support.

Also, I’d love to live somewhere that flip flops were daily wear. I LOVE flip flops!💕

• Like 1

I struggle with plantar fasciitis and I have bad knees (ACL repair in one).

Keens have a supportive enough footbed for me. Also, on the cheap-o end, I have two pairs of Skechers that don't kill my feet.  I wear them in the summer when I need support but want a comfy sandal. They are both this style: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/skechers-womens-reggae-zig-swag-sandals

My sister loves Tevas, so I ordered some. They have good arch support, but the arch hit the bottom of my foot in the wrong place, so I had to send them back.

I wore a certain style of Clarks for 15+ years. I wore the sandals daily in the summer, and they would last for a couple of years. Then I would order the exact pair again. But they changed them, and they no longer worked for me. I have very narrow feet and need straps all over to hold sandals on, so it's hard to find ones that fit me.

I wore Naturalizer hurache style sandals for the last two summers, but the strap around the heel stretched, and now I need to replace them. They were good for daily wear for one summer for me.

This summer, I am trying a different style of Clarks. They are snug while new, so I am hopeful they will hold up. Clarks has many styles to choose from.

I have a couple pair of abeo sandals with metatarsal support.  one is an "attractive" pair, which I wore constantly while walking around in austria last summer.  the other is a pair of hiking sandals - which puppy got a hold of and did damage before I got it away from him. (even though they're four years old, I want to cry)

abeo comes with or without the metatarsal support - all have good arch support. (I have very high arches.)

eta: - abeo is made for the walking company

Edited by gardenmom5

I have to wear shoes that are good to my feet too. Every summer for the last ten years I've worn Keen's -- I always get the closed-toe style. Also, mine last ten years at a time. I've only bought two pairs and I wear them constantly.

Before I wore keens, I loved my Tevas sandals. I adore these shoes, but the older I get the more I want to keep my toes protected. (Although not sure that's necessary.)

Alley

3 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

I have to wear shoes that are good to my feet too. Every summer for the last ten years I've worn Keen's -- I always get the closed-toe style. Also, mine last ten years at a time. I've only bought two pairs and I wear them constantly.

The closed-toe are perfect for walking and also cycling. The sandals don't slip off, and the toes are protected. 

• Like 1

I have had great Merrell and Ecco sandals. I need straps that adjust really well (fluctuating swelling in my feet and ankles), so that limits my options. 

I think support means different things to different people, so YMMV. I found, over time, Ecco had too much of an arch for me, but otherwise, their sandals were awesome. I like the Merrell sandals because I need something that doesn't have a heal at all. I need something that's basically a "bare foot" shoe or sandal, or else my Achilles tendon gets super tight. (I had Born sandals that were also good but less adjustable.)

I have never been able to do backless shoes or flip flops due to knee pain. They aggravate knee pain like nothing else.

I also see my chiropractor for knee pain. I seem to have several causes, and keeping those in balance is all kinds of fun, lol! But if it's tight muscles or an alignment issue, he can fix it. The footwear just kind of keeps things in check.

Good luck!