Menu

Essential books everyone should read

Ginevra

I ask this question periodically and I am asking it again: which books of any genre, written in any year(s) do you think everyone should read or would benefit from reading? What books do you think have had the greatest impact on your life, or were just such a great story? Do you have any book(s) you intentionally re-read, such as every year or every few years or continuously, as some do with religious texts? 

Not that I need to expand my TBR list, though...

Here are some of mine, in no particular order, and reserving the right to add as I think of more:

The Bible

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People

All of The Chronicles of Narnia, but if you can only read one, read The Magician’s Nephew. 

All of the Harry Potter series, but if you can only read one, read Sourcerer’s Stone. 

The Tales of Mr. Pengachoosa (very probably out of print)

A Separate Peace

Mindset by Carol Dweik

Raising Brighter Children (almost certainly out of print)

• Like 4

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...well the books I wanted to make sure my children read or had read to them during our homeschool years were the following (and I know I'll leave something out):

The Chronicles of Narnia
The Hundred Dresses
Huckleberry Finn
Murder on the Orient Express
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Diary of Anne Frank
Jane Eyre
Pride and Prejudice
Little Women
Tale of Two Cities
Harry Potter series
Carry on Mr. Bowditch (I had never read it but so glad we did!)
some Shakespeare--A Midsummer Night's Dream, Romeo and Juliet
Genesis, a gospel or two, Ephesians

I'll add more if I think of any!

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, maize said:

The Anatomy of Peace comes to mind as one that has not been mentioned

The Book of Mormon for the religious book category

Lord of the Rings in fiction

I'll come back as I think of others that are significant to me. 

I read The Anatomy of Peace last year. It was one of those I said to myself I should just re-read every year. 

• Like 3

Bible

Shakespeare- Romeo for sure, but Hamlet too

Harry Potter

Narnia series

Little House series

The Hiding Place- gives me perspective each time I read it

Winnie the Pooh- everyone needs the life lessons 

Red Badge of Courage

Little Women- my all time favorite story

Wonder

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, lulalu said:

Jane Eyre- I really just love this book and read it every few years or so

Simplicity Parenting

Dave Rasmey- can't remember what the title is and I lent it out and never got it back but I think everyone needs to at least read it 

Was it Financial Peace? 

This did remind me, though, that my favorite money book of all time is Your Money of Your Life by Joe Dominguez, even though the Treasury Bond info in that book is no longer relevant. That book instructed me to let go of [your] need to impress other for financial security. Wise. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Quill said:

Was it Financial Peace? 

This did remind me, though, that my favorite money book of all time is Your Money of Your Life by Joe Dominguez, even though the Treasury Bond info in that book is no longer relevant. That book instructed me to let go of [your] need to impress other for financial security. Wise. 

I think it was something else, but he has several that all may say the same stuff. 

I know the workbook that goes with the class was called Financial Peace. I don't think everyone needs the class, just basics on understanding debt and saving and waiting on buying stuff. 

• Like 2

Well Educated Mind as well as Well Trained Mind.

Upside Down Brilliance

War and Peace 

Ray Bradbury's Zen and the Art of Writing

The Bible

Artists Way 

Thomas Merton's Seven Story Mountain

Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict

I also like The Hiding Place as well as Harry Potter Series

?

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, aaplank said:

The Poisonwood Bible

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

My Name is Asher Lev / The Gift of Asher Lev

The Mitford Series

Several of Naomi Ragen's books

All of L.M. Montgomery's books - and notably her journals that were made public by her son  

Never met anyone else who loved My Name Is Asher Lev/ The Gift of Asher Lev, but they were very formative for me, and I reread them often.

• Like 4

I agree with a lot of the above.  The most influential on me that has not been mentioned probably wouldn't apply to everyone at all times, but is EXCELLENT for when you're newly facing extended illness and disability, which does happen to most of us eventually.  It's 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper.  Even if you HATE near death experience books, if you're struggling to adjust to needing to be helped, rather than the one doing the help, it's worth it.  Only the first chapter talks about his near death experience.  The rest of the book is about adjusting to the chronic pain and disability and the frustration of needing so much help, and it helped me tremendously.  I wouldn't read it if you're not going through that difficulty and if you're not religious, but if you are and you're struggling with hurt about why this is happening to you and what God's purpose for illness is, it's wonderful.  It seriously helped me to get out of a dark dark place in the first few hours of reading.

In that same time in my life I also loved It's Not About the Bike by Lance Armstrong, which is also more about illness and chronic pain than athletic achievement. But to be honest I haven't re-read it since the news broke about his cheating, so I can't say for sure it's still a must-read. If you're struggling with long-term illness I'd give it a shot.

• Like 3

I'm with Texasmom, read them Russians! Loved Anna Karenina. Crime and punishment is phenomenal.

I know it's going to get tomatoes thrown my way, but I loved Atlas Shrugged. Rand is certainly... forceful in her opinions but I thought it was an excellent book. I actually read Atlas and Grapes of Wrath right next to each other and that was a formative experience! I still tear up listening to RATM's song Ghost of Tom Joad.

Someone mentioned Age of Innocence and I agree, loved it. The ending was perfect.

Tale of two cities.

Little women and the rest.

What Katy Did.

Miraculous Journey of Edward Toulane.

C.s. Lewis. Abolition of man especially.

• Like 8

Les miserables though I know it’s not realistic that everyone will read it.

the bible particularly the beatitudes and psalms but all of it

maybe some Confucius 

Im not going to say everyone should read story of the world but everyone should read at least something to give them an overview of history beyond their own bit of the world

Either Anna Karenina or War and Peace

something by Shakespeare - maybe Macbeth.

the count of monte cristo 

something by George Orwell even though it’s depressing

Something by Frances Hodgson Burnett for her perspective on childhood.  She’s very much the fleshing out of Charlotte Masons “children are born persons”

one anthology of poetry that includes Eliot, Emily Dickinson, Wordsworth, Blake and Keats.

I could go on.  But Les Miserables is my biggest.

• Like 6

I just thought of more!  Something Elizabeth Gaskell - maybe North and South or Mary Barton

at least one of the Bronte Sisters!  Probably Shirley or Jane Eyre

edited to add

something by Terry Pratchett to help with not taking yourself too seriously.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 3

I think what people should read is really dependent on the person.  Sartor Resartus and Ulysses meant a lot to my DH; I can't even read them, I've tried. They make no sense to me.

Every few years I reread through the Earthsea books by UK Le Guin.  They are my favorite books.

With each child I end up rereading through Harry Potter, the Little House books, Narnia.

I read Huck Finn first as an adult, maybe a year ago, and it was a marvellous revelation.  It is a book that can only be read the first time once, and it is a very good book that first time.  When he (spoiler) tears up the letter and says well I'll just go to hell, then!, and when he's really backed into the last corner and they're going to find out he's not who they think he is but he doesn't know who they think he is, and it turns out they think he's Tom Sawyer - both of those things were immensely satisfying the first time through.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

Never met anyone else who loved My Name Is Asher Lev/ The Gift of Asher Lev, but they were very formative for me, and I reread them often.

Your're my "soul sister" ?

I named my son Asher because I wanted him to grow up to be a man just like Asher Lev. 

Those books were very formative for me as I was navigating my way through what I thought about God and Christian community.  Even though it's about a Hasidic Jewish community, the principles still apply. 

Edited by aaplank
Spelling
  • Like 6

Les miserables though I know it’s not realistic that everyone will read it.

I intend to get this on Audible if I can get it read by Bill Homewood. I listened to Homewood reading The Hunchback of Notre Dame this year and his narration was AMAZING. It seems to me this is the most accessible way to read such a dense book. It does represent about 23 hours of listening but that is also close to the time investment for making a loom-knit baby blanket, so listening is a good way. 

• Like 5

I agree with so many of tvese. 

Les Mis taught me about grace. 

Celebration of Discipline taught me that spiritual disciplines are a by-product of one's relationship. That was profound. 

The writing in The Handmaid's Tale is so clear, spare and beautiful, and makes the horror of the  story even more piercing because of it. 

Frankenstein, and Lord of the Flies, which have different answers to the question of whether we are good or made good by civilization. 

Laurel's Kitchen, a cookbook (yes, a cookbook!) which contains the loveliest story of a woman packing her husband's lunch, and so illustrates the way we can care for each other through food, and gives food and food preparation purpose beyond mere nutrition. 

Just some off the cuff answers.  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Something by Frances Hodgson Burnett for her perspective on childhood.  She’s very much the fleshing out of Charlotte Masons “children are born persons”

This is so insightful! She was my favorite author as a child. I read "A Little Princess" at least 20 times.

I always wanted to be respected as a person when I was a child, but was rarely shown that. I determined at a young age that when I grew up I was going to treat kids differently. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, CaliforniaDreamin said:

The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck deeply affected me.  It left a mark and something changed inside me after I read it.  

8 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Forgot Grapes of Wrath.

5 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Les miserables though I know it’s not realistic that everyone will read it.

I considered putting these two plus Middlemarch in my post but most people probably would not want to read one of them, let alone all three. I love them all and have read each more than once.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Quill said:

I read The Anatomy of Peace last year. It was one of those I said to myself I should just re-read every year. 

Is this one religious? It's hard to tell based on the blurbs. I'm intrigued, but I don't have too much free time at the moment, and a very religious book just wouldn't be super relevant for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Quill said:

Do you have any book(s) you intentionally re-read, such as every year or every few years or continuously

The broader question -- which books everyone should read -- seems uncontainable, so I've chosen the sub-question of which books I do, in fact, choose to re-read, in toto or in partibus.

The Gospels, the Psalms (Authorized Version)

Thomas à Kempis, The Imitation of Christ

Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales

Milton, Paradise Lost

Blake, Poems of Innocence and of Experience

A. E. Housman, A Shropshire Lad

Baudelaire, Les Fleurs du Mal

Tolstoy, War and Peace

J. H. Newman, The Development of Doctrine

Romano Amerio, Iota Unum

• Like 8

Jane Austen...any and all.  (At minimum, "Pride and Prejudice")  Probably the classic I reread the most.

I think it's helpful to have read the Qur'an, not only for literature reasons (such as Dante's Inferno), but also to understand the news of the day.   If you don't want to read the actual Qur'an (Mohammed Asad is a good translation as is the Haleem one from Oxford), I'd say Reza Aslan's "No god but God" because it does a really good job explaining the founding of Islam, some of the splits, etc.  

"Tale of Two Cities"

"Anna Karenina" or something else by Tolstoy

"Atlas Shrugged" as it has influenced some current politicians

Joseph Campbell

Sue Monk Kidd's "Dance of the Dissident Daughter"

Marianne Williamson "A Return to Love"

"The Hobbit"

"The Scarlet Letter"

"Of Mice and Men" or another Steinbeck

"Call of the Wild" or another Jack London

F. Scott Fitzgerald, any of all

"The Sun Also Rises" or another Hemingway

"The Odyssey" or a retelling

Anne Frank's Diary

"Little Women"

"Jane Eyre"

"To Kill a Mockingbird"

Something by Agatha Christie

Howard Zinn's "People's History of the US"

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Mergath said:

Is this one religious? It's hard to tell based on the blurbs. I'm intrigued, but I don't have too much free time at the moment, and a very religious book just wouldn't be super relevant for me.

No. It may have a spiritual element (I don’t remember) but it is definitely not written from any particular religious viewpoint. It’s really very good. 

• Like 2

The Bible and The Iliad and the Odyssey for people in the west - they are alluded to so often in other works.

The Bible, also, for religious reasons.

Night, by Elie Wiesel

Lord of the Rings - after reading them aloud to the kids twice with two more times to go for the little girls, this story has become part of our family life.

ETA: I would put To Kill A Mockingbird in my short list.

After this it becomes harder. I have so many books I want my own kids to read. I could do a top 500, for sure. LOL I could probably do a top 50. I don't think I could do a top 20. Once I get past the ones above, it is difficult for me to choose from the many books that are worthwhile.

Edited by Meriwether
  • Like 6

I think different books affect different people in different ways, so I will not be so bold as to say that everyone should read a certain book. And Certain books spoke to me at different seasons of my life, so there’s that, too. But, this year I did a reading challenge and got away from my usual genres of histories and biographies and these are a few that I read this year that really “punched me in the gut”.

In no particular order:

The Gospel Comes with a Housekey by Rosaria Butterfield

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea by Barbara Demick

The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doer

Between Shades of Gray by Rita Septys

We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter

For some strange reason, and entirely unintentionally (I had no idea the subject matter when I chose 2 of the three books) the last three on the list are very powerful books about World War 2 and the last one is a true story.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

one anthology of poetry that includes Eliot, Emily Dickinson, Wordsworth, Blake and Keats.

If you're in the market for such an anthology, The Oxford Book of English Verse and The Penguin Book of English Verse are portable, inexpensive (especially older editions), and well-edited. The Norton Anthology of Poetry, while less portable, is available cheap at bookstores in college towns at the end of each semester.

• Like 6

It's hard for me to say which books I think everyone should read.  Even the books that have greatly influenced me did so during a certain period of my life that maybe wouldn't have affected me in the same way during a different period.  But as far as which books have had a great impact on me, personally:

The Bible

David Copperfield

Tale of Two Cities

Crime and Punishment

Many, many books/memoirs about World War II  (Too many to list!  But it's more the combination of all of them with the evolving understanding of what happened that affected me so)

Poisonwood Bible

Cry The Beloved Country

Myth of a Christian Nation

The End of Religion:  Encountering the Subversive Spirituality of Jesus

Little Women

(I'll probably add more to the list later!  I know there are others!)  

• Like 3

Re-reads:

Til We Have Faces, CS Lewis

The Bible

Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Robert Cialdini (humans are not the critical thinkers they believe themselves to be)

The Emotional Life of Your Brain: How It’s Unique Patterns Affect the Way You Think, Feel and Live—and How You Can Change Them, Richard Davidson and Sharon Begley (why meditation and mindfulness are important)

The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind and Body in the Healing of Trauma, Bessel van der Kolk (how trauma manifests itself physically and what can be done to help)

Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence, Dan Goleman (practicing self control leads to success and health)

Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change, William Miller and Stephen Rollnick (how to converse with ambivalent people who need to change; using these techniques on my 21 year old)

You Are Not Your Brain: The 4-step Solution for Changing Bad Habits, Ending Unhealthy Thinking, and Taking Control of Your Life, Jeffrey Schwartz and Rebecca Gladding (a dull slog but Schwartz is explaining his idea of what free will is neurologically)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Quill said:

Do you have any book(s) you intentionally re-read, such as every year or every few years

I missed this part of the question too. 

Books I tend to re-read -

Jane Austen - all  of them though I avoid reading Mansfield Park too often
The Harry Potter series
Anna Karenina
The Grapes of Wrath
The Count of Monte Cristo
Elizabeth Gaskell - North and South plus Wives and Daughters
The Great Gatsby

I've re-read other books but I don't regularly reread them. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

Re-reads:

Til We Have Faces, CS Lewis

The Bible

Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Robert Cialdini (humans are not the critical thinkers they believe themselves to be)

The Emotional Life of Your Brain: How It’s Unique Patterns Affect the Way You Think, Feel and Live—and How You Can Change Them, Richard Davidson and Sharon Begley (why meditation and mindfulness are important)

The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind and Body in the Healing of Trauma, Bessel van der Kolk (how trauma manifests itself physically and what can be done to help)

Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence, Dan Goleman (practicing self control leads to success and health)

Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change, William Miller and Stephen Rollnick (how to converse with ambivalent people who need to change; using these techniques on my 21 year old)

You Are Not Your Brain: The 4-step Solution for Changing Bad Habits, Ending Unhealthy Thinking, and Taking Control of Your Life, Jeffrey Schwartz and Rebecca Gladding (a dull slog but Schwartz is explaining his idea of what free will is neurologically)

I'm intrigued. (and also have a 21yo....)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I'm intrigued. (and also have a 21yo....)

The idea is that when speaking about making changes with people, you do not want to remove their autonomy because that often leads to pushback. Instead, the conversation is directed and phrased in such a way that the individual who would benefit from changing creates the plan for him- or herself. This only works on people who are ambivalent about wanting to change (that is, they have reasons for wanting to change and not wanting to change). These techniques work well in many situations.

You can find some nuts-and-bolts information online for free and also shorter and easier-to-read books.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson was probably the most impactful novel I have ever read. I doubt it would be that way for everyone, but something about the intersection of that book and the timing in my life was profound.

Thats funny; it was a book club read for me but I did not finish. I was frequently confused and I think I had other books sitting around I was more interested in. 

• Like 1

I just realized there was a re-read. Books I tend to re-read are  books with a protagonist or storyline I resonate with. I really don’t reread a lot of books now, but when I was a girl I did. I reread all the Little House books and Narnia books countless times. I also read some Margaret Henry books numerous times. “Punch me in the gut” books I never reread because a) a lot of times it was difficult to get through them the first time. The books I listed in a previous post - several of them I had to put down in the midst of reading because they were so intense, I couldn’t deal with it, or b) the first time I read the book was so... precious, or meaningful, or something....I just don’t feel like it would be right to read the book again. I felt that way after reading “A Man Called Ove”, especially. I loved that book and it was so poignant, but I just felt it would be sacrilegious or something to read it again. I know that is weird and I am likely not articulating it well.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Quill said:

Thats funny; it was a book club read for me but I did not finish. I was frequently confused and I think I had other books sitting around I was more interested in. 

Yeah, I was recommending it left and right and saw that it was falling flat with a lot of people. That's when I decided it's probably just me. 

• Like 2