Menu

S/o Nibling

Teaching3bears

Niebling.  Yes, since I was a child.  No idea.  

Edit:  I would hear it as a way to address a niece and nephew at the same time, my cousin and I were “nieblings.”  

Like, “come eat, nieblings.”  

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 2

I'm right there under the rock with you.

I'm really confused about a lot of the sexual/gender identity stuff. I'm a very live and let live person, so I'm certainly not bothered or offended by much of anything. But not knowing or understanding the language makes it really hard to discuss due to fear of unintentionally offending. And yes, I try to read/research, but this is one of those topics where I always seem to get more confused rather than enlightened. 

• Like 6

It’s just affectionate to me.  Like my sisters and I were “the girls.”  My cousin and I were “nieblings.”  

I haven’t heard it in years, though.   My son is too much younger than my nieces to call them nieblings..... or that is what I think off the top of my head.  

It was just a special thing for my cousin and I, not my older sisters.  

I've heard it, but it definitely has not permeated to the point that I think it's anywhere near taking over or where I'm surprised anyone hasn't.

I think it's a cute word, just apart from any gender issues. I'm not sure if it'll ever become completely in vogue... I can easily see it going either way, honestly. I mean, thirty years ago, people didn't think that a lot of other genderless terms for people would catch on - like "firefighter" or "mail carrier." They were convinced we'd stick with "fireman" and "mailman" and now I hear both routinely and the less gendered terms are more in use, especially in absolutely everything official (using one term is so much simpler). So... I could see it happening, though I don't know that it will.

I had never heard the word before yesterday, so I looked it up.  Apparently, the word niblings was coined in 1951 as a way to address multiple nieces/nephews, sort of a conflation of the words sibling, niece, and nephew.  It had nothing to do with gender identity at the time.  I like it.  I'll probably use it for all my nieces and nephews, regardless of their genders, or lack thereof.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Do is it pronounced with a short i or more of a long E? I thought it was spelled niebling, which reminds me of liebling, which means darling. I think it’s sweet. Nib-ling, not so much.

I had not heard it before the gender thread, but this was the association I made. I thought maybe it was formed by analogy with liebling. To me, that sounds like a nice sort of pet name for beloved young relatives.

I don’t think I was ever called “niebling” by myself.  I know one uncle used to call me “niece,” sometimes.

My grandparents called each other “mother” and “daddy” and called my mom and aunt “sister” as long as they lived.  

I think only my aunt and uncle said “nieblings,” and once in a while we would be called “cousins” in the same way.  I think only when being called in to eat, though.  My cousin and I used to sit at a little table in the kitchen for family gatherings, and always be served first for the meal and for dessert, and then we would be called first for baths.  

I do think the “nibling” spelling seems odd.  I have never seen it spelled, but it sounds like it would be “ie” and then also — “niece” has “ie,” so it makes sense that way, too.  I guess I will have to adapt ?

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, StellaM said:

I don't know. I think it's a bit sad to lose words which have sex specific meanings.

Sibling, child, nibling, parent...instead of sister/brother, daughter/son, nephew/niece, mother/father. 

I feel, for example, that 'sibling' doesn't really convey the relationship I have with my sister, whereas 'sister' has so many more connotations and resonances that really reflect the relationship.

There's less attached to niece and nephew - though I don't have a niece so I can't say if there'd be any difference - but to me the gender neutral words feel bland and lacking in emotional resonance. Or in the case of nibling, cute but ultimately kind of babyish ?

Cultures vary so much in which relationships get specified by labels. Grandmother in English doesn't differentiate between maternal and paternal but many languages do. Cousin doesn't tell us either gender or paternal/maternal but some languages can express either or both of those or even specify father's brother's son vs. father's sister's son.

I don't know of any language that doesn't differentiate between brother and sister though. I like having sibling as an option (I've got nine siblings and it's useful to have a group word) but I definitely wouldn't want to give up brother and sister. 

Hm. Things to think on...

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, maize said:

Cultures vary so much in which relationships get specified by labels. Grandmother in English doesn't differentiate between maternal and paternal but many languages do. Cousin doesn't tell us either gender or paternal/maternal but some languages can express either or both of those or even specify father's brother's son vs. father's sister's son.

I don't know of any language that doesn't differentiate between brother and sister though. I like having sibling as an option (I've got nine siblings and it's useful to have a group word) but I definitely wouldn't want to give up brother and sister. 

Hm. Things to think on...

I've always liked the idea of a variation in the word "cousin" that differentiates first cousins from all the others.  In my experience and my observation has been that people tend to have closer relationships to first cousins, and the genetic relationship s really a lot closer too I think.  I visited some cousins this summer when I went away, and I'd tell people this and they'd tend to assume they were close relatives - they were actually second cousins once removed, and had to map out the relationship to figure it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluegoat said:

I've always liked the idea of a variation in the word "cousin" that differentiates first cousins from all the others.  In my experience and my observation has been that people tend to have closer relationships to first cousins, and the genetic relationship s really a lot closer too I think.  I visited some cousins this summer when I went away, and I'd tell people this and they'd tend to assume they were close relatives - they were actually second cousins once removed, and had to map out the relationship to figure it out.

We need to bring back the word "kin"

"I visited my kin on the other side of the country this summer" ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I never heard it until Janie Grace’s thread. Even then, I thought she was just facetiously coming up with a word to describe the situation. I didn’t realize it was a word in use in some groups until a little layer in the thread. 

All the terms relating to gender I heard here first. 

23 hours ago, scholastica said:

My mom would sometimes call us chitlins as a substitute for children. She meant it in an endearing sort of way. 

I often said "churens/chur'ns" with my oldest when they were little after reading Breakfast at Tiffany's and finding it a hilarious work. My younger ones are often lovingly referred to as little monkeys. 

• Like 1