Menu

Need suggestions of dogs that are good with little dc please

We have 4 dc 5 and under. We have had a situation with our dog that shows that he can no longer handle being around so many little children. We are going to look for a kid-free home for him. However, we are dog people and we would like to get a new dog. Does anyone have a suggestion? The dog would be an inside dog, and we like medium-sized (about 30 lbs) and larger dogs.

A labrador retriever or a golden retriever. Please don't buy from a backyard breeder - spend the money and get a dog from a reputable breeder. Make sure the pup's parents are certified for hips and eyes (larger breeds are prone to hip dysplasia and labs can get a congenital blindness...screening the parents helps breeders avoid these ailments).

Ria

ETA: In my personal experience, any type of herding dog can be very nippy around young children. I would avoid a border collie or a sheltie for sure. My kids were bitten by these dogs when they were little. Not a good experience.

I would get a lab or golden retriever. I would lean more to a golden retriever. Super friendly with little kids...and wonderful personalities.

You can find a ton of lab mixes in the pound for a lot less money then a pure breed. They often have wonderful mixes. Then they come with all their first shots and fixed already. That is a plus.

Maybe a golden retriever? Actually I'd hold off on getting another dog until your kids are a bit older. Even if you try to pick a suitable breed, what if you end up w/another dog that doesn't do well around the little ones, or has some other issue?

I get what you are saying, but my entire life I have always had a dog! It's almost unthinkable! :001_smile:

Either a Lab or a Golden Retriver are my top recommendations. And to be honest, I would get a full blooded and not a mix. We raised labs when I was growing up and we actually just got a Golden puppy yesterday. We have had 2 mixed labs in the last few years, both which we had to get rid of. Labs have less hair if that is an issue for you.

I absolutely adored my BC. She was priceless. But she needed a ton of exercise and only just tolerated my kids. I've read many BC owners say that their dogs are not terrific with children. They are very very intense dogs. You might get a good one, but we have owned 4 in my family (between my parents, sister and I) and only one was really "good" with kids. They are FUN dogs, but not necessarily relaxed.

I would recommend a golden retreiver, springer spaniel, or a lab. They are usually good with kids. If you get a mix, you could get one on the smaller side.

We have a Belgian Sheepherd (I think you can see the avatar on my public profile page here, but I can't get it up on my posts). He's absolutely lovely and dependable with children, but I worked with a breeder who bred for temperment. Some breeders breed more for working dogs and competition - agility, rally, etc. Some of those dogs are higher energy and less biddable in temperment, so I would ask around, whatever the breed, and try to find a breeder who understands your needs.

Edited by Danestress

We had to find a new home for our English cocker spaniel when my dd was about a year old because he became jealous and nippy. I knew that the sensible thing to do was probably to wait until my children were older to get another dog, but I really missed having a dog around. When dd was about 1 1/2 we got a 6 1/2 year old collie from the pound, and he has been a Perfect kids' dog. He guards the kids and puts up with all their nonsense. His only drawback is that he sheds a great deal.

I've done a lot of research on this recently, as we want to get a dog too. I'm waiting until my youngest (15 months) is two, though. She's a sweet, delightful handful :)

Here's the list of dogs I came up with carefully considering traits, etc. I'm putting med for medium

We disqualified Bernese Mountain Dogs and Newfoundlands because we live in a warm climate, no real winter.

Field Spaniel (med)

English Setter (med to large)

English Springer Spaniel (med -- get a reputable breeder)

German Shorthaired Pointer (med -- lots of exercise)

Chinook (large -- may be hard to find)

Others worth considering that are too big for our taste:

St. Bernards (gentle giants)

Great Danes (other gentle giants)

Gordon Setter (large)

Irish Setter (large -- playful and puppy-like for practically their whole lives)

Too common and dh doesn't want a retriever:

Golden Retriever (large -- hard to find reputable breeder due to breed's popularity)

Flat-coated Retriever (large -- may be too boisterous for young children, stay young for a long time)

Too hairy and smart for our taste right now:

Collie (large -- comes in hairy and smooth varieties)

Bearded Collie (med to large -- rambunctious, playful)

I know they're breeding Dobies to be gentler and gentler, but I wouldn't consider one yet for so many little ones.

This is off the top of my head. If you give me a list of what you're looking for, I can look it up in one of my books or give you some links to websites worth looking at.

Edited by sagira

I get what you are saying, but my entire life I have always had a dog! It's almost unthinkable! :001_smile:

I managed to survive an entire year without a dog when our ds was 2. It was rough!

You might try breed rescue groups for an adult dog raised with children. Make sure that you get one that had temporary housing with a rescue volunteer. The volunteers will generally test the dogs for your needs and will give you an honest assessment to the best of their ability. Dog pounds can't give you as good as an assessment.

I'm partial to the working collie breeds, but some of them who want to be "heelers" (herding style) can be nippy if it isn't corrected promptly. My limited experience with "headers" is that they aren't nippy. They just nudge you where they want you to go. I wouldn't expect a border collie to be a "header" though. Some English Shepherds are headers (and aren't as driven to herd) I believe you might also find some Aussies that are headers.

And it is true that the herding breeds sometimes herd children of all ages. One of my neighbors had a sheltie that still had its working instincts. When she told her dc is was time to go to bed, she never had to get up to enforce it. The sheltie rounded up the kids and made them WALK up the stairs in single file. :) :)

We adored her but she was very intense and needed a lot of exercise and space. We lived very rurally with a huge garden but she still got into neighbouring fields and rounded up sheep into our garden on more than one occasion. She also tried to 'round-up' cars (luckily they were very uncommon where we lived). My parents now say there were many times they were worried about us when she was around because she did try to round us up quite intensely. Collies are a one or two adult dog I think.

On the other hand my Grandad had a gorgeous collie / labrador mix. She was the best dog I have ever seem around children. She loved hugs and attention and had great patience.

Retrievers and labradors seem to be the best family dogs from what I have seen with friends.

We have opted for a cat.

We adored her but she was very intense and needed a lot of exercise and space. We lived very rurally with a huge garden but she still got into neighbouring fields and rounded up sheep into our garden on more than one occasion. She also tried to 'round-up' cars (luckily they were very uncommon where we lived). My parents now say there were many times they were worried about us when she was around because she did try to round us up quite intensely. Collies are a one or two adult dog I think.

On the other hand my Grandad had a gorgeous collie / labrador mix. She was the best dog I have ever seem around children. She loved hugs and attention and had great patience.

Retrievers and labradors seem to be the best family dogs from what I have seen with friends.

We have opted for a cat.

Thanks for telling me about your experience with a border collie.

No more cats ever! We adopted a kitten who died two weeks later, and our other cat was peeing all over the place and attacked me regularly. We ended up making her an outside cat and then she ran away.

I really like the idea of looking for an adult/rescue dog in your situation. This would allow you to skip the whole housetraining thing, which you probably don't really need with such young dc, even though puppies are adorable! And skip the whole puppy nipping/chewing/biting thing, which the best of puppies do, but you really don't need.

Also, it would really allow you to "see what you're getting" which should drastically improve your chances for success.

Anne

I recommend a lab. They are the best! :D

I also agree with the previous poster who suggested getting an adult dog that has been around kids. Trying to train a puppy while raising small children can be challenging. Plus, dogs during puppyhood are often trying to figure out where they are in the "pack." Kids can get knocked down, etc. in this process.

Best of luck in our search!

We have a Bernese Mountain Dog. She has a wonderful disposition, and is great with kids. She has also been quite easy to train. The females don't get too big compared to the males. Ours is about 80 lb.

She's a working class dog, so she doesn't retrieve (I like this, because I don't always want to be throwing a ball), and she doesn't herd (no nipping at the kids to get them to go in a certain direction).

They have a heavy coat, so you wouldn't want one if you live in a really warm climate. We do have hot summers where we live, and she is always able to find a cool place to hide.

Even though they are large dogs, they don't need a ton of exercise. Some breeds get a bit loopy if they don't get a walk every day, but Berners are not high maintenance that way.

They have a tendency to have health problems - as do many large breeds. You would want to be sure to find a good breeder if you chose this breed, and be prepared to pay a fair bit.

Lori

We have a golden retriever/yellow lab mix. He has been great with the kids. We got him when ds was 5 months old and my daughters were 3 and 6. He has always been very gentle with them. He has never minded being used as a pillow and doesn't even mind if someone bothers him when he is eating. I also think that a larger dog is good with little kids because it would be harder for the kids to hurt the dog.

Our little border collie, Rose, is absolutely great with the kids but she is such a b*tch with our other dog, a neutered male collie/lab cross. Watching her tormenting him constantly and cleverly devising ways to trick and humiliate him made us understand where that expression really came from!:lol:

She is really tiny - I don't know why, and Sam is at least twice her size and could flatten her if he really tried but he just takes it.

Anyway, I think it's great for the kids having dogs and whatever you decide I hope things work out well for you all.

We adopt our dogs from a local no-kill shelter. You can search petfinder.com to see what is available in the area. We adopted Buddy when he was a bit older than a year ( and our now 6yo was the same age) and will continue to adopt dogs in that age range. He was already crate trained, leash trained, slept through the night,etc. You will have a definate picture of their personalities, exercise needs,etc when they are around a year. We just recently adopted Sunny who was in the same age range and again have a perfect fit.

No-kill shelter are AWESOME about matching you to the right dog!

Get a mutt. I've had mutts my entire life. As a kid and now as a adult. They are great dogs. I've never had a dog with hip problems or eye problems. They have all been great dogs. All of mine were around or over 50 pounds but I'm sure you can get smaller mutts.

The 2 dogs I've had as an adult are great with kids! My now 16 yo dog was the first "thing" ds crawled to. She just looked at me with a look that said "not again." But she laid where she was and let him get to her. My now 2 yo dog was acquired when he was 6 mo. We really didn't know his temperament, other than the rescuer told us he was a good dog. But the rescuer didn't have kids in the house. Kody has never nipped or had any questionable behavior even when I think it was provoked.

I think mutts are great. When it's time, I'll get another!

I know this breed hasn't been mentioned, but we love our Bassett Hound! She is fabulous with the kids. I've had 3 babies since we got Flounder and nary a problem. She's extremely lazy, sleeps most of the day, but loves to snuggle with a toddler and play Peek a boo with her long ears. She has been a help with my oldest learning to read - he goes and reads to her. She doesn't fetch or herd...she sniffs, so a fenced yard or a doggie line is a must. She loves people and just likes to be part of the group. She's like a moving throw rug...that yawns occasionally. I have many pics of her lying next to the baby on the rug. She gently takes treats from our 15 mo and tolerates "firm" petting. A good option. Low maitenance, not much shedding or drooling with our dog, although they are known to drool.

Good luck finding your dog, I can't imagine life without a four legged family member.

Michele

I work a little with dog rescue. I would highly not recommend a lab or border collie unless you are able to give them lots of exercise, and don't mind hyperactivity. Golden retrievers, I would say yes. Someone mentioned springer spaniels, we have one and they can be aggressive and hyper, ours can be both. The aggression is controlled.

If I had to do it all over again, I would volunteer at a foster dog rescue regularly and get to know a dog 1st. Most of them are housebroken and their flaws are known. You also will know when you become attached to one instead of buying a pup with unknown character traits.

Beagles are great with kids! We had one for a year before DD came and he would let her do anything to him. She crawled all over him, tugged his ears, played with him. Whenever he was done, he'd just walk into another room and lie down. Our female beagle was the same. Not once did either dog snip or growl at her. If I had the yard, I'd get another beagle in a heartbeat.

Glad you asked this, because we are thinking about it as well. Personally, I think labs and retrievers are too hyper for me. We had a lhasa apso and they are NOT good with kids...they're barely good with adults :) While going through some issues with our lhasa, we were told by numerous "pet people", ie vets that King Charles Spaniels are wonderful with children, although they may be smaller than what you're looking for?? I would second the beagle and mutt recommendations also.

We have two border collies and one ACD. I wouldn't recommend an ACD, but our border collies love, adore, worship the children. Along with that though, they are very intense and have obsessive behaviours. Our adult border collies seem to lose their minds over moving tires. They'll nip and bite at them and anything that gets between them and a tire.

I had a Collie, a Lassie type, and he was fantastic with children. I had him before the children, and he went to work with me at the day school where I worked. He loved all the children, didn't have to be "his". He tried to keep them herded and safe but never put him mouth on a child.

Edited by Remudamom

When we decided to get a dog I did a TON of research-Research Queen, right here!:thumbup1: Anyway, there are some tests that you can take (I wish I remembered what they were for you-just google) and I took a few. We have had our dog for 2 years (got her from a rescue group) and our kids were 3 & 5 at the time. I was leaning towards a lab or retriever, because that's all I had growing up. But, since we were going to get one from a rescue society, and it would be an adult dog, I didn't want to go with those breeds, because they can be pretty rambuncious and my kids were too little . So, we got a Brittany Spaniel, and she is perfect with the kids. The breed really has a strong bond with the family, which is what we wanted, and there isn't a mean or agressive bone in her body. Also, she's the perfect size. Not as big as a lab, but larger than a Cocker Spaniel. Check the breed out.

Good luck!

We have also seriously researched this as we have been planning to get a dog for at least three years now. We have settled on either a Golden Retriever or a Yellow Lab. Both are supposed to be good with children and other animals (we have four cats). Goldens are supposed to be a little more hyper than labs but my kids are favoring the Golden. I would prefer to get an adult that has already been trained and has been proven to be good with kids and cats but I will probably have to put in the hours to train a puppy. I am sure that my cats will help put him in his place though. :)

i'd recommend a young-to med. adult (not a puppy)beagle, basset, or beagle-basset mix. please go to the shelter to adopt. they are filled to the brim with wonderful animals needing homes and so many are put down simply bec. there is no more room. often the dogs in the shelter are already housebroken and trained, which is a plus.

Another vote for Golden Retriever. The key is teaching the dog his place in your "pack," that all the children come before him, and he is low dog!

So, find a good trainer, and in the meantime, make sure you do things such as

1. Go thru all doorways first, and make your kids go thru, then allow the dog to go thru. I mean ALL doorways, all the time.

2. Eat first, don't feed from the table, and make your pet work for his food--even just a "speak" bark, a sit, or a handshake.

3. Make sure your dog knows all toys are yours (and your kids) so he doesn't get upset when little hands pull toys out of his mouth.

4. Watch for signs of dominance, such as bumping (even subtle bumps) or pushing dc out of the way.

A good trainer can work with most dogs, and can help them adapt to a house full of kids. A dog that starts with an easy-going nature and a trainable spirit is a big plus.

This website is really cool if you're trying to figure out what dog breed to go with. You rank the characteristics you're looking for - amount of shedding, grooming needs, energy level, aggressiveness, watchdog-ness, intelligence level, etc. and then it gives you a list of dog breeds that match those characteristics, with a description of each breed with pictures. It helped us a lot when we were looking into dog breeds.

I

I'm partial to the working collie breeds, but some of them who want to be "heelers" (herding style) can be nippy if it isn't corrected promptly. My limited experience with "headers" is that they aren't nippy. They just nudge you where they want you to go. I wouldn't expect a border collie to be a "header" though. Some English Shepherds are headers (and aren't as driven to herd) I believe you might also find some Aussies that are headers.

And it is true that the herding breeds sometimes herd children of all ages. One of my neighbors had a sheltie that still had its working instincts. When she told her dc is was time to go to bed, she never had to get up to enforce it. The sheltie rounded up the kids and made them WALK up the stairs in single file. :) :)

That is an excellent observation. Border Collies and Australian Cattle dogs work by nipping at the heels. Aussie Shepherds tend to throw their very wiry muscle mass into the mix. My friend's cattle dog is always a danger, you really have to keep an eye on her. She is a total ankle biter and very quick and sneaky. Border Collies, which I adore, need more exercise than most. Our Aussie, when it is not playtime, is a total couch potato, complete with pillows. The one bad habit she still has with the kids is stealing their mittens off in the winter. She plays hard and fast once a day with her herding ball and herds the waves up and down the beach until she drops. Other than that you will generally find her on the couch or the chair. I would say they are a little on the OCD disorder side but mine is just fine with little kids. Unless they have a major aversion to being licked.

We have had a female Golden since before my oldest was born. She practically helped raise the kids--we call her "Nana" (from Peter Pan) because she's so great with kids. Patient, patient, patient. She has let them use her as a stepstool to get on the sofa before they were big enough to do it on their own. The kids used to pull up her lips, look in her mouth, pull up on her to stand before they were walking, etc. If "Nana dog" had had enough, or if the kids hurt her, she'd just walk away. NEVER has she nipped, bitten, or even growled at them.

I would definitely look into a rescue organization, though, and look at getting an older one. Not too old, though. And I would also make sure that the dog is pure bred. I don't say that to be snobby, but I've known people to say they had a Golden that was mean and bit kids and cats, and when you dig a little deeper, it turns out it was not a pure Golden. Purebred is the only way (IMHO) to get that sweet Golden temperament.

Someone earlier mentioned a King Charles Spaniel. I got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (slightly different breed, but might actually be what they're referring to) for me two years ago. He loves me, and he's great with the kids. He tolerates my husband :D. However, he has been much harder to train to be submissive than it was to train the Golden. He bullies her incessantly, even though she's triple his weight. Also, he will growl if you lie on him, whereas the Golden will just look at you like, "hello, excuse me? What exactly are you doing?" :tongue_smilie: Now here's the biggest drawback of the Cavalier, even though they are sweet and beautiful--they are EXPENSIVE! As in, $1500 range. Ugh. I've seen Cavaliers that people "got a good deal on," and they have major health issues and they're ugly.

Would I get another Golden? In a heartbeat. Another Cavalier? Yes, but I'd probably get a female, and I would not get one if I had really small kids (mine were 8 and 6 when I got my Cavalier).

Sorry to be so long-winded. HTH and good luck with your decision!:)

Holly

ETA: Someone also mentioned a Brittany Spaniel. I would be careful with this breed, and do a lot of research. I would also not get a puppy. We got a Brittany puppy when I was growing up and she ate the kitchen. Table, chairs, cabinets, edges of linoleum, everything. Apparently they need a LOT of exercise.

Edited by HollyBee

We have a pug. We had him when our youngest was born. GREAT dog. Super good with kids (We have a male...not sure if the females are as friendly with kids) He has been the best dog ever. When our youngest was a baby he would lay about 2 feet from her at all times, like he did not want her out of his sight...it was cute..but he has never growled/barked/snapped or bitten anyone. They are not guard dogs..he does not bark really at all unless he sees another dog or animal on TV. and even then it is more of a howl. (of course he does growl when playing tug of war.

Let me preface this by saying, I haven't read all the replies. That said, we have a Border Collie/lab mix. If you were to come to my house, you would call her a Border Collie, as she looks just like one. But her personality is that of a Lab. So, I join the camp of recommending a Lab, or Lab mix. I love my BC, and have jumped through many hoops to get to keep her over the last few years, with our various moves.

We also have a Mini-Poodle/Jack Russell mix who is very sweet, but I think would be too tiny for younger kids.

We just got a Sheltie mix puppy and she is a very sweet, well-behaved (so far) girl.

So I guess what I am saying is...don't overlook those mix-breeds out there. They are often calmer than their pure-bred cousins.

Good Lick!

I would say they are a little on the OCD disorder side but mine is just fine with little kids. Unless they have a major aversion to being licked.

What is that with these dogs. Our BC is obsessed with squirrels, and would lick our skin off if we sat still long enough! Gotta love 'em!

We researched long and hard but we ended up with a "Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier". She's non-allegenic (for my little girl) is loyal to the bone, gentle with little ones, plays hard but will easily calm down and rest with you. Always fun to play games with - the kids love her and the only dog I have ever had that "snuggles".

Wheatens are expensive and can be active and must be trained to behave early in life but she is the best dog I have ever owned and I've had dogs all my life.

Oh and she's so loyal that even when she gets out accidentally she barks at the front door to be let back in! She's about 30 lbs, and has the softest fur you have ever touched.

We have a bunch of dogs but I would only recommend a few for people with little kids. Dont get a Pekingeese, they are NOT little kid dogs and would probably bite a kid if they got too rough. They dont put up with much nonsense and would probably be miserable around little kids.

We have a black lab that a breeder was giving away (shes too old to breed anymore). She is a wonderful dog with kids. She is calm, good natured, an all around good dog. I would recommend a dog like her with little kids.

We also have a Weimaraner that was given to us by some people who could not take care of her anymore. She is another wonderful dog and would be great around kids except for maybe the jumping. When she is excited she jumps around and might knock a little kid over. She does love kids though even if she does jump around sometimes.

I did have a basset hound when I was a kid and he was one of the best dogs I have ever had. I would recommend a dog like him although hounds are IMO hard to train so house breaking might take a while.

I hope you find the perfect dog for your family.

We have a lab and he is great with everyone, but getting through the first 1-2 years is tough because they chew everything and can be quite hyper.

The calmest dog I ever owned was a rottweiler, if you can believe it. She was great and almost never barked. I once saw her get on her belly and crawl to a little kid because she didn't want to scare him. I really don't recommend rottweilers for little kids. I just wanted to illustrate that you just never know what you are going to get. The temperaments of dogs vary a lot even within breeds. (Her mother was also a very friendly, non-aggressive dog.) She also loved to swim and would go horse-back riding with us (following the horses, of course.) I really miss her. :crying:

Paula

The larger the dog is the more gentle it is, usually.

They say that Newfoundland (probably the best), Bernese Mt Dogs, Great Pyrenees, and even Great Danes are the best with children. Newfies and Bernese Mt Dogs have probably the best reputation for being nurse dogs or nannys. Remember Peter Pan?

If you're looking for something that's not a giant you should consider (like everyone else has suggested) Goldies, Border Collies, and labs. They're three of the smartest most trainable breeds. Also, there is the Weimaraner, and the Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Some of these guys require quite a bit of exercise though, so you have to be willing to drain some of thier energy or they can be a handful.

Since you said you prefer medium to large dogs I won't name anything smaller. It works out good because most smaller breeds are more hyper and tend to be a bit tempermental and possesive with thier owners.

Hope that helps and that I have given you a few new ideas to do some reasearch on.

Good luck and I hope you find a wonderful new family member!

I haven't read all of the responses yet, but I tend to consider breed less relevant than training and individual dogs' personalities.

We got our German Shepherd/mutt and Rottweiler/mutt when the big kids were 2, 3, and 7. They're fabulous.

My in-laws breed and raise GSDs (don't buy from them, though!) and most of their dogs have been incredible with the kids. There have been a few that I wouldn't let my kids play with.

My aunt has had 2 Golden Retrievers. Neither were trained properly. The first one was great with the kids. The second one *loves* the kids, but he is enormous and likes to jump. Not good.

My other aunt has a Wiemeraner <sp?> who could probably take better care of my children than I can... if he were able to cook. Which I bet he'd also do better than me. He's an amazing dog.

Friends of mine raised their kids with Yorkies in the house, without issue. Other friends have raised their kids with mini Dashunds <sp, again?> and a few minor problems. Another family had their English Mastiff before their son was born, and now they're best friends.

I'm not saying breed *shouldn't be considered. I'm just saying it isn't often very relevant.

Larger dogs are better with children than small dogs like poodles, chihuaha's, beagles, etc. They're more durable and tend to be less snippety. Get something beefy that will take the rough-housing of children,yet won't bite.

I say Labs #1, possibly aussies, a good mutt, bassett. Just do your homework.

However, it's all in the training. You train a dog that'll like kids differently than you would one w/adults. :)