Menu

Help solve a punctuation dispute re: Christmas cards :-)

mlktwins

Something lighthearted for all the heavy posts this week :-)!

I've been doing the Christmas cards for years.  I sign it with our 4 names (i.e. Jim, Alice, Tim, and Ellen).  My DH looks at the card every year before I order them (photo cards) and has never said anything.  This year he tells me it's wrong to use the comma between Tim and Alice.  I looked at the photo cards we received last year and about half are the way I do it and half the way he says to do it.

Which is correct?  I am getting my FLL book out again as I wait for responses -- LOL!  

ETA:  Changed my title from grammar to punctuation :-)

Edited by mlktwins

Do you mean between Tim and Ellen?

If so, it's called the Oxford comma and there's a whole world of controversy over it. :)

The example that I love supporting the Oxford comma is this one:

I'd like to thank my parents, Ellen and God.

I'd like to thank my parents, Ellen, and God.

In the first one, it looks like your parents are Ellen and God.

In the second one, you can tell that th person is thanking three people/groups: 1. Parents. 2. Ellen. 3. God.

The comma is important in cases like that. However, in cases like signing a card, it isn't as important, but I use it all the time nonetheless.

• Like 22

I sign it with our 4 names (i.e. Jim, Alice, Tim, and Ellen). ... he tells me it's wrong to use the comma between Tim and Alice.  

The only comma that is a matter of taste is the one between Tim and "and", the Oxford Comma.

All other commas are required in regular writing.

For signing a card, however, you can get away with placing all names in random spots on the card, in which case commas are not used.

• Like 2

Do you mean between Tim and Ellen?

If so, it's called the Oxford comma and there's a whole world of controversy over it. :)

The example that I love supporting the Oxford comma is this one:

I'd like to thank my parents, Ellen and God.

I'd like to thank my parents, Ellen, and God.

In the first one, it looks like your parents are Ellen and God.

In the second one, you can tell that th person is thanking three people/groups: 1. Parents. 2. Ellen. 3. God.

The comma is important in cases like that. However, in cases like signing a card, it isn't as important, but I use it all the time nonetheless.

Yes!

I do Jim, Alice, Tim, and Ellen

DH says Jim, Alice, Tim and Ellen

Do what you feel.  If anyone complains, they will get coal for Christmas. 

I agree that if it really bugs your dh, he is free to sign the cards himself.

Personally I do NOT use a comma before "and" in a list.  Shoot me.  :P  And I use an ampersand, so shoot me twice.

• Like 3

Yes!

I do Jim, Alice, Tim, and Ellen

DH says Jim, Alice, Tim and Ellen

Either one is correct.

If you were writing only two names, you wouldn't write "Tim, and Ellen," would you? No. You'd write "Tim and Ellen." Well, it's the same thing when you're writing the other names, as well. Jim, Alice, Tim and Ellen.

Most American style guides call for the third comma.

Most British style guides say to leave it out unless it is needed to clarify meaning.

Both are correct, you can choose.

And if Dh wants it his way he can do the cards.

I'm with the Brits on this. It is how I was taught back in the day, and I see no reason to change. :hat:

Do what you feel.  If anyone complains, they will get coal for Christmas. 

I agree that if it really bugs your dh, he is free to sign the cards himself.

Personally I do NOT use a comma before "and" in a list.  Shoot me.  :p  And I use an ampersand, so shoot me twice.

Oooohhhh -- an ampersand!  That would be different for this year's card -- LOL!  

• Like 1

Either one is correct.

If you were writing only two names, you wouldn't write "Tim, and Ellen," would you? No. You'd write "Tim and Ellen." Well, it's the same thing when you're writing the other names, as well. Jim, Alice, Tim and Ellen.

have you read the book: "eats, shoots and leaves"?

very different meaning than: eats, shoots, and leaves.

oxford comma, I'd use it.

• Like 1

have you read the book: "eats, shoots and leaves"?

very different meaning than: eats, shoots, and leaves.

oxford comma, I'd use it.

There's no difference between those two sentences. There's a difference between Eats, shoots, and leaves and Eats shoots and leaves (or Eats shoots, and leaves), though.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 2

Just as long as you don't sign it "The Mlktwinserson's."

I withhold judgment based upon the absence or presence of the Oxford comma, but can there really be a style guide out there that recommends using an apostrophe when making a surname plural? A number of people who write to us seem to think so. (And snark aside, I do appreciate the holiday greeting's.)  ;)

• Like 2

I withhold judgment based upon the absence or presence of the Oxford comma, but can there really be a style guide out there that recommends using an apostrophe when making a surname plural? A number of people who write to us seem to think so. (And snark aside, I do appreciate the holiday greeting's.)  ;)

LOL.  My last name ends in "ch" and I promise I don't use an apostrophe  :laugh: .  We have received quite a few personalized gifts that have an apostrophe though...

That would be the Oxford comma and I'm all for it.

I just learned an oxford comma was a thing in some other post here. I am not great with grammar honestly. What is funny is that in elementary school they taught us to use the comma and then later in high school they had us to not use it. I thought I just had it wrong or something.

I think you can do it any way you want.  I use a comma there sometimes, and sometimes I don't.  I'm liking it more as I get older.   :)  In your case I would use it, because otherwise Tim and Ellen look like a couple.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 2

You can have my Oxford comma when you pry it from my cold, dead, and lifeless hands.

Critiquing my use of the Oxford comma would make the job of cards my husband's.

I don't think I could "allow" my husband to mutilate our cards that way, lol.

I submitted several messages to go into a program once, and the editor took out my Oxford comma in each one. I'm still holding a huge grudge!

• Like 1

There's no difference between those two sentences. There's a difference between Eats, shoots, and leaves and Eats shoots and leaves (or Eats shoots, and leaves), though.

so - it couldn't be - eats (finishes eating), shoots (a gun)  and leaves (the scene)?

or eats shoots (eating shoots), and leaves (and leaves).

comma placement will change the meaning of a sentence.

No, there is definitely NOT a style guide that uses an apostrophe to make a surname plural (and there are scant reasons to use an apostrophe to make other things plural, but never a surname). Of all the grammar atrocities in the world, that is surely the worst!

Edited by Ellie

so - it couldn't be - eats (finishes eating), shoots (a gun)  and leaves (the scene)?

or eats shoots (eating shoots), and leaves (and leaves).

comma placement will change the meaning of a sentence.

Yes, comma placement changes the meaning of the sentences I posted. The Oxford comma does not.