Menu

Christmas gifts for teens that they can use as adults....

Prairie~Phlox

We've done Christmas ornaments, and a nativity set (from overseas, where we were living at the time). And their senior year, I give them a nice recipe box with our family favorites hand-written in it, including how to do basic things like make iced tea, etc. But my mom gave us good quality measuring cups/spoons, a set of cookware one year (which I still use 40 + years later), a set of kitchen utensils I still use, set of stainless eating utensils, etc. One year, she gave us olive wood nativity sets. At the time, I thought it was interesting and a little whimsical. Later, I thought it was genius.

ETA: Back then, my mom collected Betty Crocker coupons, which you could save up and use to purchase household/kitchen items. So several of the gifts were from her coupon savings.

Edited by Jaybee

My mom got me a large Samsonite suitcase for the Christmas before I left for university.  She actually got very flustered when I opened it because it was such a non-fun gift and I think she had a sudden thought, "Oh no, her last Christmas at home and I gave her a !?&% suitcase!  I'm such a jerk!"  But, it was fine.  :-D

That suitcase is still in use today, and we travel internationally and I ABUSE my luggage.  Way overpacked, overweight, stuffed to the gills.  And it's still almost new looking.  Longest-lasting, most practical, useful gift ever!

• Like 6

cookware / bakeware / gadgets / knives  /small appliances

bedding 

start on dishes /flatware

when my girls graduated high school, they got things like good luggage (they attended school across the country) which is still used by someone. l (1dd has gone through luggage looking for something she likes.)

• Like 1

I agree with the above - quality tools (everyone needs the basics), kitchen wear, luggage. I'd hold off on electronics (tv etc) as stuff can go out of fashion/break after a couple years, and young adults may be particular (my 26-year-old never plugged in the flat screen in his room, he watches shows on his laptop, for example).

• Like 1

I only did such gifts with my oldest dd. By the time she moved out, her kitchen and bathrooms were outfitted. I had given her pots/pans, baking sheets, stand up mixer, beaters mixer, towels and washrags, bathroom container set for toothbrushes and toothpaste and soap, shower curtain, flatware, and utensils. We started when she was 17 and she moved out when she was 21 I think. When she finally got her own place, we had very little basics to buy.

• Like 1

When dds were little, I started a teacup and plate collection.  Every birthday they got a teacup and saucer, and every Christmas they got a plate.  We stopped when they turned 16 because we ran out of room :)   When they move out, each dd will have 16 teacups and 16 fancy plates. 

I gave oldest dd a toolkit when she turned 16. It is a cloth sided tool kit from Ace Hardware that has the basics.  She has used that thing quite a bit! 

Oldest has started collecting cookbooks

Youngest just this week said she wants to start a book collection that she can take with her when she moves out:  cookbooks, reference books, good reading books, etc. 

Oldest said she wants a good suitcase for her birthday in June (not for Christmas)

We have friends who have done traditional hope chests:  bedding, linens, towels, dishes, cookware, that type thing. 

• Like 2

I think of this in terms of supporting teens' lifelong interests, too. Dd15 loves hiking and camping so the outdoor gear we're gifting her now will outfit her adventures into adulthood...down sleeping bag, parka, base and waterproof layers, winter and summer hiking boots, camp hammock, Crazy Creek chair, sporks and camp cookware, Leatherman all purpose tool, water filter, ukulele, that sort of thing.

And kitchen stuff and luggage!

Amy

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 9

Luggage - I got a well-made duffle bag - still in use 30+ years later.

Homemade quilts ?(not sure)?

Youngest loves to cook, so she is starting a collection - immersion blender, cookie sheets - we use them now too. She wants to. If they wear out, I will replace for her when the time comes. We already have a lot of cookie sheets, but she likes to bake cookies - the more sheets, the easier.

Edited by Bambam

We've given gifts that teens can use when they are adults and out on their own, but we don't intend for them  to be put up and not used until then. Luggage comes to mind...when they are old enough to start traveling on their own it's nice to have their own luggage.  But I'm not going to give a kid a crockpot with the intention that it should be put up until he moves out. 

Gifts we have given that are still used now that they are grown: small safe to hold passports and other valuables, a handwritten book of family recipes, luggage, quilts, handmade bookcase, a kitchen aid  stand mixer given to a teen interested in learning to bake (along w other baking stuff). 

• Like 2

If you want to go big you could get a used Toyota truck. My husband bought his own used truck when he was 16. Eighteen years and a lot of miles later, it still works wonderfully. Seriously, this truck has survived everything and we use it all the time.

If you want some special nativity sets, there are incredible beautiful ones here:

http://www.demetz-patrick.com/en/nativities-5/

A collection of beautiful wooden spoons would be something special. I just bought some olive wood salad spoons and they are lovely.

Edited by 4Kiddos
  • Like 3

I think that practical gifts have to be special and appreciated to be real gifts.

So I start giving 'technical' stuff in middle school--good REI hiking or backpacking or survival equipment, walkie talkies, solar headlamps--stuff like that that someone can take into adulthood but also would think is really, really cool as a kid.

If someone in their teens is into cooking, then cookbooks and really good pots or knives are a great gift, but if not, then they don't have the happy surprise feel of actual gifts.  So I think that's important to keep in mind. 

• Like 7

My kids are pretty practical, and would probably prefer things that they could use now and continuing into the future.  Luggage has always been a big hit.  Cookware (like a good iron skillet, or a stone pizza board, for example) if they are into cooking now.  Good quality camping equipment.  Winter gear.  Bike equipment.  They have an aunt who takes turns giving them homemade quilts, which they can use immediately, in college, and in their own homes someday.

• Like 2

I prefer gifts they can already use AND that last for later. I hated it when my grandmothers gave me gifts for "later" - thanks, but towels and sheets are not fun and don't count as a "real" Christmas gift.

Sports gear is great. Camping and climbing gear that lasts but that they can begin using.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

I'm thinking about a good blender for smoothies. I would like to make her a quilt to take to school, but I'm not sure if I'll have time. Also my body doesn't do well with too much sitting anymore. I'm also thinking of a personal cookbook with her favorite recipes like our traditional birthday cake. She already has nice hard-side luggage but I'm wondering if there will be space for that in her room. I think bedding is a good idea, too.