Menu

Crochet or knitting?

Night Elf

Which is easier to learn? I found a meetup group in my area that meets once a week at a restaurant for 2 hours in the late evening. They said all skill levels are welcome so I asked if they take total beginners and would someone be willing to teach me. The leader has been knitting for 5 years and crocheting for 2 years. I learned the basics of crocheting about 40 years ago and do not remember anything. I haven't sewn anything since then. Which is easier to start with?

• Like 1

I think they're both easy enough to learn.  I crochet, (though it's been a while and my gauge is always off.).

what do you want to be able to make is the bigger question of which you would appreciate more.

edgings are best crocheted - though you can do sweaters,  etc.

knitting is softer for sweaters

both can do afghans.

• Like 2

I think they're both easy enough to learn.  I crochet, (though it's been a while and my gauge is always off.).

what do you want to be able to make is the bigger question of which you would appreciate more.

edgings are best crocheted - though you can do sweaters,  etc.

knitting is softer for sweaters

both can do afghans.

I haven't thought that far ahead. I guess what I'd start with are scarves and afghans, both things we could actually use. Really, I'm just looking for some social time with other adults and this is something that interests me.

They are easy in different ways.  And they let you do slightly different things.

In knitting, the next stitch you need to do something to (knit, purl, slip to the other needle) is pretty obvious -- it's typically the next one on the needle (left needle if you're knitting in a typical right handed way). Once you get the simple stuff down you can do it without looking because your hands can feel the next stitch and do the correct motions.  But, something about messing with those two straight sticks PLUS keeping track of the yarn can get crazy for some people.

Crochet can be more of a free-for-all -- stick that crochet hook in ANY stitch and make the next single-crochet!  I cannot crochet without looking at what I'm doing.  But, you have the crochet hook in one hand, and can have the yarn and project in the other, and ... it's just less to keep track of as far as that goes.

Knitting tends to make a lighter, more flexible and stretchy fabric.  I like it better for wearables. I think it probably uses up less yarn per square inch of fabric made.

Crochet is great for things you want to have a bit more structure.  It's way easier to make things up as you go along when you crochet.

I've taught both to kids.  Some seem to take to one or the other -- somehow one makes more sense to some people than the other.  I tend to teach knitting first when working with kids, mostly because of that "choose which stitch to work in next" issue. 

Edited to add:  Having said that I teach knitting first, crocheting has always seemed easier to me -- I guess it's more in tune to how I think.  For me, knitting tends to be something you should plan out ahead of time, and then you can sort of go on autopilot to accomplish the actual knitting.  Crochet you can just dive into and get going, but you need to keep paying attention and think about it as you go along.

Edited by GailV
  • Like 3

I use to do cross stitch but now, even with my reading glasses, I simply cannot see the needle holes. It's quite frustrating. I guess I could try magnifying glasses but I don't know if they would really work. That cloth is SMALL! I need something I can see. I don't mind watching what I'm doing. I'd probably be doing it while I'm listening to music. I don't watch a lot of tv and nothing else needs my attention all the time.

I learned both through YouTube videos. If you are wanting to make afghans I would learn to crochet, it's quicker for big blankets. Crocheting can be a bit tough on my wrist and it can be harder to see which stitch you are working into when you're first getting started, but for me it was easier to coordinate one hook instead of two needles at first.

I love knitting for socks, hats, mittens and sweaters and it's easier on my wrists. Since all of your stitches are lined up on the needle it's a bit easier to see what you're working into than crochet. I say go with whichever has more projects you are instrested in and have fun! You can always learn the other later and collect a ridiculous yarn stash along the way!

I use to do cross stitch but now, even with my reading glasses, I simply cannot see the needle holes. It's quite frustrating. I guess I could try magnifying glasses but I don't know if they would really work. That cloth is SMALL! I need something I can see. I don't mind watching what I'm doing. I'd probably be doing it while I'm listening to music. I don't watch a lot of tv and nothing else needs my attention all the time.

I have one of those magnifying things that hangs around my neck - there is also a small section with a higher power magnification.   and really good light.

but that's also one reason I don't do much needlework anymore.  being able to see.

I agree, they are pretty equal learning curves. Both will feel terribly awkward until they suddenly don't.

Regardless of which you choose, don't start with a scarf!! And don't even look at the afghans for the first year or two. Start with a dishcloth or a hot pad. Then a hat. A scarf seems benign, but it goes on and on and on....

• Like 4

I just ordered a magnifying glass that hangs around the neck. We'll see if that helps with cross stitching. There is a meetup group tomorrow night for the crochet, knit, and coffee. I'm interested in going but so far only the leader will be there. If she's willing to help me learn, she can tell me what to buy to have something to learn tomorrow night. It may be too soon for her to try to work with me.

I don't know if I have the coordination for two needles though. However, I've never tried!

I like knitting because I like they way it looks better. However, I'm perfectionistic, and dropping stitches happens and it became too Frustrating for me to fix.

So, now I knit on looms. They are limited, but you can do some creative things with them. There is no risk for me of dropping stitches. They make rectangular looms for scarves. And they are cheap, about $10 at Walmart for a set.

Another bonus is they are biggish, so small stitches are not a problem, and they are easy to manipulate (one hand to hold the loom, one hand to wrap and knit).

• Like 2

A scarf seemed easy to start out with. Straight and rectangular. No curves or anything fancy. Haha. Okay, I'll take a look at some of this stuff and ask the ladies at the meetup group. I might as well benefit from their wisdom. What they choose to teach me might be what they find easiest to teach too.

Which is easier to learn? I found a meetup group in my area that meets once a week at a restaurant for 2 hours in the late evening. They said all skill levels are welcome so I asked if they take total beginners and would someone be willing to teach me. The leader has been knitting for 5 years and crocheting for 2 years. I learned the basics of crocheting about 40 years ago and do not remember anything. I haven't sewn anything since then. Which is easier to start with?

I have differing levels of dexterity in my two hands, and I found crocheting a bit easier to learn starting out.  I still want to learn to knit, but it will take time to focus on it that I don't have right now, time to figure out how to get my two hands to work together to produce even stitches.  I did try a while back, but I need more time to focus on it than I have right now in order to get it right.

Crochet and knitting each produce different characteristics.  I am also curious about the many (and growing, it seems) variations on these two methods of creating fabric.  It will be several months, if not a year or more, before I can reliably count on having the block of time I want to get the hang of knitting or learn any of the other methods.

How about you try some lessons in both, and then decide which you want to focus on more at first?  It is different for everyone, so trying both may help you decide.

• Like 1

A scarf seemed easy to start out with. Straight and rectangular. No curves or anything fancy. Haha. Okay, I'll take a look at some of this stuff and ask the ladies at the meetup group. I might as well benefit from their wisdom. What they choose to teach me might be what they find easiest to teach too.

If you haven't already signed up for Ravelry, it's free and has lots of great ideas.

Scarves are easy first projects.  If it's a simple pattern, choosing a variegated or self-striping yarn can make the project a little more interesting. 

One thing I like about crochet:  if you make a mistake, it is easy to rip back and fix the mistake.  There is only one stitch "live" at a time.  Ripping back knitting to fix a mistake is a lot more involved, trying to get the live stitches all back onto the needle.

I find knitting MUCH easier especially the reading patterns part. I also like the look much better. Crochet is better for blankets though as it's much faster for a large project like that. For hats sweaters gloves etc knitting just looks better as it is like what you could buy in a store.

I teach classes and crochet seems a little easier and people are productive a bit faster. It does burn up more yarn but projects are generally faster to complete. I mostly teach kids and they tend to get frustrated with how long it takes to make stuff via knitting. If your start with knitting, doing projects with bulky and super bulky yarn will feel more gratifying.

They are each better for different things. I learned to knit first so I definitely think it is possible to learn to knit first.

ETA hat looms are fabulous and that is actually how I start kids who are not crafty at all. You can whip out hats in a few hours pretty mindlessly. I knit and crochet at an advanced level.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 1

I learned how to crochet this summer. I picked crochet because I wanted to make amigurumi and because my mom could help me with crochet. A few weeks ago, I started going to a weekly meet-up at a local yarn shop. Everyone else there is knitting, but that is ok :) I hope you enjoy the meet-up. I am still trying to meet people in this town and figured it was a good thing to try. It is a very easy-going group, and I have enjoyed it thus far.

I really depends on the person. I can do both now but started out with crochet. I thought that knitting was too hard and would never be able to do it. My MIL was the opposite. She thinks that knitting is easier and never learned to crochet. I'm self-taught via youtube videos. I'm sure I do things "wrong" but I like the way the finished product looks.  :laugh:

• Like 1

I know how to do knit stitch or purl stitch, but never did anything beyond a scarf.

I have crocheted 50 afghans probably, but easy stitches. I don't see well enough to have to read a line by line pattern when I work.

One thing I love about crochet is, if you mess up, you rip it out and keep going. Knitting is much harder to undo.

• Like 1

I can do both as well. In general, I feel more comfortable with crochet because: 1) I'm much faster with crochet than with knitting, and 2) I can easily fix a crochet mistake, while trying to fix knitting mistakes always leave me confused and frustrated.

However, I really like a knitted result better than a crocheted result. So I end up doing both, depending on the project. 

My mom has been crocheting forever, and taught me when I was 7 or so. She constantly has several afghans/throws in progress. She also crochets for charities, and is part of a crochet club. As for knitting...I'm self taught, through books, youtube, and Craftsy. Perhaps if I had more one-on-one mentoring in knitting I would be faster and/or would be able to fix mistakes more easily.

They are both enjoyable and practical skills to have, and can be a great way to meet or spend time with people.

I've been doing both since I was around 8 and am an expert in both. They are equally easy to learn. I would choose based on the finished projects that you like best. I would look at crocheted items and knitted items and just decide what you actually want to eventually be able to make.

I do both.  Crochet came easier to me, but I have a bigger passion for knitting.  I think choosing the one you WANT to learn the most may be helpful.  Although if you learned to crochet a long time ago, it may surprise you how fast it comes back. 

When I taught my DD to knit, I had her learn by knitting a washcloth, kind of sampler style.  The project was manageable, and she was able to get really comfortable with the variety of ways to combine knit and purl stitches.  

Good luck and I hope you find a great social outlet.  :)

• Like 1

Although knitting in general is easier, I find it too hard to coordinate both hands for knitting. I've tried and tried. Also, I like that with crochet it's easy to rip out whatever I mess up.

You be ready for near vision glasses. It's a thing that happens once you hit 40, sigh. Try your magnifying glass, obviously, but reading/near vision glasses from the optometrist would work too. They don't have to be very expensive. If you don't normally wear glasses, you could go to the optometrist, get the scrip adjusted for the distance you hold your crochet, and then fill it on Zenni. Glasses at Zenni aren't terribly expensive, and they'll be very cute. You could do just the near vision scrip for the crochet and not use them unless you need them other times. 

I think crochet is easier but it could be because I'm left handed. I can crochet left handed. Learning to knit truly left handed is hard. I tried to learn continental but that's not really left handed knitting. I can knit a simple ribbed hat or dishcloth or other "flat" items but I can do much more with crochet.

• Like 1

You might be surprised at how fast you pick crochet back up after a bit of a refresher. I learned the very basics as a kid but didn't do anything with it until at least 30 years later. I looked at a book (before it was all on the internet) to re-learn the stitches and it came back to me fairly easily. My gauge was rather off but that evened out with a little more experience.

My kids started with knit looms to make scarves and baby bonnets for their stuff toys. Then they pick up crochet follow by knitting at the library. They like crochet for making amigurumi (small crochet toys) and knitting for fancy scarves. Knitting a scarf with knitting needles does seem to take forever compared to using a knit loom but you can knit more elaborate scarves.

ETA- another! Benefit to loom knitting is it can be very fast, about an hour or two to knit a hat, for instance. And if you're interested in knitting to donate to hospitals (NICU hats) it can be a good project.

I've tried several times to knit and have failed each time. I must not be coordinated enough.

However, loom knitting sounds doable. What would you recommend as a good starting place and materials? I've got yarn coming out of my ears from crocheting so that's one thing I won't need. :)

I like both, but knitting gives me carpel tunnel syndrome (it doesn't matter whether I do continental or American style), and crocheting doesn't bother me at all, so I usually crochet.  

That being said, I like crocheting for things that go around in a circle (hats, stuffed animals, hexagonal patterns), and knitting for things that go back and forth in a square (scarves, dish cloths, blankets) or round and round in a tube shape (boot cuffs).

I prefer knitting. I did used to crochet but it caused me extreme pain in my hands. I switched to Portuguese style knitting to minimise pain at around the same time and it works. I like how diverse knitting projects can be and I prefer how it looks. I think crochet looks nice for blankets but I'm not keen on the look of crochet clothes or accessories.

However, loom knitting sounds doable. What would you recommend as a good starting place and materials? I've got yarn coming out of my ears from crocheting so that's one thing I won't need. :)

My kids started with these kits. We bought from Michaels and Walmart as kids wanted to pick their own set.

Round looms for bonnets

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005VEUNMA/

Rectangle looms for scarves

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006J2YLUI/

• Like 1

I've tried several times to knit and have failed each time. I must not be coordinated enough.

I'm with Arcadia- just a simple round loom kit at Walmart in their craft/yarn area. Or, Michaels (with coupons) for a single loom or kit. The kits are probably better for round looms as they have a few sizes: adult hat size, kid sized, big head sized, etc. It comes with basic instructions and a loom hook.

With YouTube you can find anything you want. This video seemed good (though I saw only a few min and finished product) - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sB9FQwkw-hs

She wraps counterclockwise, which is how the majority of people wrap I think, but there are also instructions that show wrapping clockwise. So make sure to notice, if you may get confused. Once you do a basic first hat, then you can decide if you like the process or not. The finished projects are not as beautiful as knitting with needles IMO, but the ease and quickness of a loom way overshadows that. And, if you get into it, there are different stitches you can learn to make the look and patterns different. Plus, scarves, blankets, etc. And there are smaller looms for preemie sized heads for people interested in NICU hats.

• Like 1

My kids started with these kits. We bought from Michaels and Walmart as kids wanted to pick their own set.

Round looms for bonnets

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005VEUNMA/

Rectangle looms for scarves

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006J2YLUI/

Thanks for the Amazon links. This way I was able to add them to my wishlist. The prices are in the perfect range I like to add for my children when they are looking for gift ideas. Of course, there is always the possibility I won't be able to wait and will hit Michaels or Joanns with a big, fat coupon.

I haven't gotten a response back from the leader of the group so it looks like I'm not going. I don't just want to show up with nothing in my hands. Besides, no one else RSVP'd so I'm assuming she won't go if she thinks she'll be the only person.

Maybe I should try to learn some stuff on the internet so I'm not a total novice. I need to look into this more. I can't wait to get my magnifying glass I ordered because I'll be happy as a lark if I can start cross stitching again.

There's also a sewing group that meets at the library once a month. They say beginners welcome too. Here's their description:

Fiber arts includes knitting, crocheting, sewing, needlepoint, and any other activity that uses fiber or fabric. Bring your current project or simply grab your needles, yarn, hook, spinning wheel, and patterns to join in the fiber arts fun.

• Like 3