Menu

Give me your ideas for rice dishes

Lady Florida.

I have a lot of rice in the freezer. I always forget it's there and then I cook too much and end up freezing even more. I need to use it up. 

We already have favorite beans and rice and fried rice recipes. Soup recipes are okay but it's still too hot for soup here and will be for another month or longer. So, not counting those three things what are some favorites?

Mexican.chicken over rice; condiments are chopped onions, cilantro, shredded cheese, salsa and avocado or guac. I just dump 4-6 breasts in IP with container of salsa, cook on Poultry, shred and top over rice. This is lunch and dinner Every Monday.

Oh, like a rice bowl. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest a rice bowl. You could do it a number pf different ways and not eat thesame bowl twice - pick a world cuisine and then use that as your theme.

Korean - (bulgogi, cucumber, radish, herbs) or bibimbap

Italian - white beans or chicken, marinara, spinach

Puttanesca - make like the pasta sauce, but serve over rice with shrimp

Japanese - pick any sushi roll, but seve it deconstructed or terriyaki chicken with sauteed kale and mushrooms (or make omurice)

Pizza - italian sausage, roasted red pepper sauce, kale, and caramelized onions

Burrito Bowl - add lime zest and juice to the rice plus cilantro if you like it plus your other toppings.

Indian - make rice pilau or biryani

BBQ - top with BBQ baked beans or chicken plus corn and collard greens

I could probably think of more, but you probably get the idea. Rice bowls (or grain bowls) are my jam. :D

• Like 5

Rice pudding?  

I didn't think of that but I love rice pudding. Mmmm!

My friend who is gluten free uses rice instead of pasta for spaghetti and also puts chilli over it. I grew up eating stronganoff over rice instead of pasta

<shudder> :eek:  I'm Italian-American. I can't imagine doing that unless I truly needed to lol. The chili idea isn't bad though it's not chili weather yet.

• Like 1

We do a kind of deconstructed stuffed pepper.  Works great with leftover rice--brown or white.  Sautee a bunch of cut up peppers (I like the red, orange, yellow mini peppers) and some onions with salt and pepper.  Once cooked, add in some ground beef or turkey.  Add salt, pepper, and onion powder and cook.  Once everything is cooked add in your leftover rice, one can of tomato sauce, a glug or two of ketchup, salt, pepper, and onion powder.  Stir everything together and cook for 4-5 minutes.   Takes maybe 20 minutes to make and all four of my kids love it.

We do rice pudding, as well with leftover rice.

• Like 3

• Make salsa verde or red salsa from tomatoes and mix in with rice.
  • Teriyaki sauce and sauteed vegetables over rice
  • Heat rice on the stove and mix in an egg and cubed chicken, sometimes even cheese.
  • Heat cubed pineapple and rice together with a little soy / teriyaki or tamari sauce

• Like 1

Confetti rice in the oven:

This is based off of Alton Brown's baked rice recipe, btw.

1 1/2 cups brown rice (medium/short grain--I like Texmati)

2 1/2 cups water or broth of your choice (or 50-50, whatever)

1 Tbsp butter

1 tsp salt

1 cup of coarsely chopped/matchstick veggies of your choice.  I do carrots and large "sticks" of zucchini. (They must be thicker because of the long cooking time.)

Bring water, butter and salt to boil in saucepan and then pour over rice in 9x13 dish. Cover with foil and bake 1 hour at 375.  Do not uncover; let rest 10 min. before uncovering and fluffing.

(You can also do this with white rice.  1 cup long grain rice, 1 Tbsp butter, 1 can of broth (14.5 oz.) plus veggies.  I don't boil first, just cover and bake 45 min. at 350. Let rest 10 min. before uncovering and fluffing.)

I'm sure you could do this in a rice cooker as well.

Also, we make the copycat Chipotle Lime Rice and throw in black beans almost every week for bowl lunches.  Just have toppings chopped and on hand in the fridge.

In addition to some f the above ideas, I sometimes mix rice with sautéed vegetables and an egg and form them into tiny patties that I then sauté. They're good as a side dish or a simple lunch alongside a salad or as the base of an hors d'oeuvre. Or I'll make a quick version of supplì with leftover rice.

• Like 1

Pecan Pilaf. I can eat this for on it's own for lunch, but adding cubed chicken is good too.

Cook rice - I like the nutty taste of brown.  Make sure to add enough salt.

Melt a bunch of butter in a large pan. Optional: saute chopped onion or green onion. Add fresh cracked pepper and nuts and spices. I like pecans and rosemary. Dried cranberries are good added at the end too. Take butter off of heat and mix it thoroughly and gently with the rice. 

Sooo, SO good. A friend used to bring this to potlucks, and that's how I got the "recipe".  

Something like this: https://wholegrainscouncil.org/recipes/toasted-pecan-brown-rice-pilaf

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. Some are ones I would have thought of if my mind didn't go blank when thinking of all that rice. Others are ideas I wouldn't have come up with. All were welcome, good ideas.

Honestly, I'd just mix it in with dog food and give it to my pups. Or throw it into the compost. It's rice - it's not breaking the bank.

We had to put the aged pup down almost 2 years ago and IME cats don't like rice. Of course it won't break the bank. I'm not worried about the money. We love rice but I just have a lot of it and wanted ideas for how to use it. If we didn't want it I'd get rid of it. That's not the case.

Jambalaya

Dirty rice

Fried rice (a favorite and so easy)

We also do a lot of rice bowls as others have mentioned. I almost always have something else leftover that can go with rice or something in the freezer (i.e. beans, shrimp creole). I have also been known to serve spaghetti with meat sauce over rice - a little unconventional but not bad when you are trying to be gf or just plain forgot to buy the pasta at the grocery.

Cilantro line rice is easy to make, I almost always have cilantro and lime on hand, add those to taste with a little salt and butter. Yum.

I also toss rice into soups.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

California Roll Bowls

Rice

Smoked Salmon mixed with a little cream cheese and soy sauce

Diced Cucumber

Shredded Carrots

Sliced Avocado

top with Soy Sauce, Mr. Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce and some French's Fried Onions.

Yum! I think I've seen this called a sushi bowl? I will try it next time I have leftover salmon, I'd just have to add a little pickled ginger (in place of the cream cheese).

• Like 2

I saute onion and garlic in olive oil until quite soft, toss in a good bit of spinach, let it cook down slightly, add the rice until it is heated through along with a bit of dried basil and salt to taste, mix in feta cheese and a bit of fresh lemon juice. It's a nice side dish, or even a main dish for a light dinner :-)

• Like 4

In the back of my mind I'd recalled making some kind of cheesy rice pancake using leftover rice.  Sure enough, I had!

From Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything Vegetarian.

Cheesy Rice Cakes

• 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk, half-and-half, or cream, plus more as needed
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked white or brown rice
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated cheese (I used cheddar, Parmesan is called for in the book)
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • Salt and cayenne to taste
  • 1/4 cup neutral oil or 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup minced parsley for garnish (optional)

Directions:

Heat a heavy skillet or griddle to a temperature of about 375ºF.

Whisk the eggs and milk together in a medium bowl until well-combined.  Whisk in the rice and cheese.  Switch to a spoon, add the flour and baking powder, sprinkle with just a little salt and cayenne to taste.  Add enough extra milk to make a smooth, medium thick batter.

When a drop of water skips across the skillet or griddle before evaporating, it’s ready.  Put a little oil or butter in the pan and let it bubble.  Using a large spoon, scoop up a bit of batter and put it in the pan.  It should spread about 3 inches.  Cook as many griddlecakes at once as will fit comfortably, turning them after a couple of minutes, when they are brown.  Total cooking time will run between 5 and 8 minutes.  Serve immediately, ideally straight from the pan, sprinkled with parsley if you like.

• Like 2

Bookmarking!!

Mushroom Rice

saute mushrooms & onions in oil (usually 8+ oz. and 1 onion)

dump in 2 C. rice, 4 C. chicken broth

season to taste (I typically do 1/2 Tb. salt, a goodly amount of pepper, and  some garlic powder at minimum)

cook the way you'd do plain rice, and fluff it up when done.

It's a good basic side ad easily customized.

• Like 1