Menu

Pumpkin pie

LMD

My first ever attempt at pumpkin pie is now in the oven. Pumpkin pie isn't really a thing here in Aus so I've never even eaten it. But I had some pumpkin left over from our harvest earlier this year, made some soup and 2 smallish pies.

Do you like pumpkin pie? What do you have it with? Any secrets for the best recipes?

• Like 1

I love pumpkin pie, even though I don't make it myself.  (My husband does.)  I like it warm with a little whipped cream.  

We once did a "taste test" to see if canned pumpkin or fresh pumpkin was best in a pie, and decided they were both delicious.

I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks! I have never seen canned available here.

They look pretty good out of the oven now.

Dh was just saying he's never had it either, though his mother makes another pumpkin dessert dish (like a strudel) so we like pumpkin dishes and anticipate enjoying this too!

I love pumpkin pie!  We've played around with the recipe to find what works for us.  If not using canned pumpkin, then straining the puree an extra time is necessary.  When I was a kid we used to cook, puree, freeze, and then strain when we thawed it.
Powdered ginger is better than fresh in this case.  Fresh makes it gritty feeling.

Fresh nutmeg is better, though.

You can cut the amount of sugar by a third and it will still taste the same.

We don't put whipped cream on because I make it weekly for breakfast in October.

• Like 2

I love pumpkin pie. My Mom always makes it for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Pumpkin bread too.

To me the crust is important. I only like my grandmother's crust recipe.

Pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

Always used the recipe on back of the Libbys pumpkin can.

Edited by Mommyof1
  • Like 2

I make pumpkin pie often. We all love it and eat it for both dessert and for breakfast. The kids and I like it with whipped cream, but dh eats it plain (weirdo - who doesn't like whipped cream? :confused1: ). 

I've made it several times using fresh pumpkin, but I actually prefer canned. Not only is it easier, but I think the texture is better with canned.

• Like 2

I'm gonna lose my foodie card over this, but pumpkin pie is the sole reason I buy cool whip. Also, I grew up on my Mamaw's pies and her recipe calls for a bit more cinnamon-nutmeg-cloves-allspice than most, so other people's pies taste bland and wrong to me. She wasn't weirdly heavy-handed with spices. Hers is just the original recipe from the Libby's cans, but for whatever reason pumpkin pies mellowed out over time.

• Like 3

I generally don't like pumpkin pies because the crust usually ends up soggy. That being said, I am perfectly happy to eat the filling with cool whip and toss the crust......

My contribution - this recipe is even yummier with fresh pumpkin puree, but works just fine with canned. I love these soft spicy cookies.

http://www.food.com/recipe/best-pumpkin-cookies-185445

I don't make it in a crust---just the custard. I reduce the sugar by 1/3 or maybe 1/2 (can't recall right now) and serve it as a vegetable or as dessert or as breakfast. :)  I am a purist. so no whipped cream.  I like it room temp or cold. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

I generally don't like pumpkin pies because the crust usually ends up soggy. That being said, I am perfectly happy to eat the filling with cool whip and toss the crust......

My contribution - this recipe is even yummier with fresh pumpkin puree, but works just fine with canned. I love these soft spicy cookies.

http://www.food.com/recipe/best-pumpkin-cookies-185445

Last time I baked pumpkin pie I had to much filling for the pie shell. Baked test in a dish with no shell. It was just as good

I'm gonna lose my foodie card over this, but pumpkin pie is the sole reason I buy cool whip. Also, I grew up on my Mamaw's pies and her recipe calls for a bit more cinnamon-nutmeg-cloves-allspice than most, so other people's pies taste bland and wrong to me. She wasn't weirdly heavy-handed with spices. Hers is just the original recipe from the Libby's cans, but for whatever reason pumpkin pies mellowed out over time.

Ooh I would love that recipe. My mamaw used to make pumpkin pie, but i find most bland these days. I bet she made that recipe too. Yeah, big fan of cool whip over here.

Haha thanks for all the replies everyone!

It turned out quite well! Everyone liked it. I did blind bake the crust but it was still a little soggy, dh preferred it that way. I realised belatedly that I didn't have any cream though, and I don't know what cool whip is - we don't have it here.

I love pumpkin pie. My Mom always makes it for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Pumpkin bread too.

To me the crust is important. I only like my grandmother's crust recipe.

Pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

Always used the recipe on back of the Libbys pumpkin can.

I agree!

Haha thanks for all the replies everyone!

It turned out quite well! Everyone liked it. I did blind bake the crust but it was still a little soggy, dh preferred it that way. I realised belatedly that I didn't have any cream though, and I don't know what cool whip is - we don't have it here.

I think it is the canned stuff. I don't know what brand we have here, but mostly it's referred to as "fake cream" I think.

I'm not seeing the problem. 😂😂😂

lol me either. Love pumpkin pie, especially love it for breakfast with coffee and whipped cream (which also goes into aforementioned coffee, since I have it right there!).

No real cooking tips except to be sure you spice it up. Bland pumpkin pie is not as satisfying as a well-spiced one.

Eta I posted before reading other replies. Glad I'm not the only one to comment on spicing!

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

Ooh I would love that recipe. My mamaw used to make pumpkin pie, but i find most bland these days. I bet she made that recipe too. Yeah, big fan of cool whip over here.

Here ya go!

http://libbyspumpkinpie.com

This is for one pie, but it's the big 9"deep pie pan. If you plan on using store-bought crust, you'll have extra filling. You NEED the Libby's brand. The others don't taste the same.

I made pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkins ONCE. It tasted exactly the same and wasn't worth the extra steps. If you use premade crust this is a super fast and super easy pie to make.

• Like 1

I don't eat pumpkin, only sweet potato, but my grandma's old recipe is heavy on the spices too. It also calls for sweetened condensed milk and brown sugar, no evap, no white sugar, and lots of butter.

I use more too.