Menu

How odd would this be? Birthday Q.

Tap

75 members have voted

1. 1. Would you?

• Nope, 2 months early is too early.
    • I would consider it, but still lean towards 'too early'
    • I would consider it, and lean towards 'go for it'.
    • I think it is an okay thing to do!
    • Other.

DD10 has extreme behavior issues.  The absolute worst time of year for her is in the fall. The transition back to school, the weather and time change....it all collides into a hot mess of anguish, attitude and agony. Her birthday is in October and she hasn't had a friend birthday party for 5 years.  She is usally in trouble at that time and has very few privileges until after Christmas.  I can't just give in to a birthday party, because she will dissolve into a puddle of chaos and it worn't go over well.   A party is really too much for her to handle at that time of year.  She can't even handle one friend and play date type party at that time of year.  She is raw emotion.

She really, really wants a birthday party.  She asks multiple times, every single year, and I always have to tell her 'no'.   We do take her out for a family dinner and have family presents.  It is just the friend party she is missing.  

She is about half stable right now.  She is still struggling and having some major attitude issues, but really the best we are going to get. I am thinking about having a birthday party this summer for her.  I don't want to just have a party....I want it to be a big classic Birthday party, with decorations, presents and games.  

How odd would you see that as a guest, to come to a party 2 months before the actual birthday?

The majority of her friends would understand, but there are a few neighbors who are new that might be confused. 

I will push the idea that we are having it in the summer due to wanting a summer water party.  The ones who are close to us will know the truth, but don't want to go into it with the new parents. 

• Like 5

Lots of christmas babies have half birthdays.

We had a lake house. My cousin was a Feb baby, his sister Aug. she always got to take friends to the lake. Finally my aunt realized he could have a halfish party and do the lake.

Weather, temp and situations are all factors. She can have a 10/12ths party.

• Like 2

Have the party. 

Youngest use to have mini half birthday parties. 

Before kids I even gave Dh a birthday party almost 2 months in advance since that was the best time for it. - and I knew I wouldn't arrange him another big birthday party. So it was then or never. 

• Like 1

Not weird. Dd's friend, who has a June birthday, celebrated and had a party in mid October because she wanted her friends to do a certain activity that centers around October/halloween. There are lots of reasons people do this sort of thing. You don't even need an explanation. 

• Like 3

I think it's a great idea, and you are a good mom for considering what will work best for her. One year two of my boys had a birthday party 5 months and 3 months after their birthday because that was when it worked best for us. No one cared or even brought it up.

• Like 1

Absolutely have the party!

My girls birthdays occasionally fall in Mohters Day or Thanksgiving, plus the week before Christmas. When it's their year to heve a friend's party, we have it whenever it's convenient, which is almost never on or near theirnactual birthday.

Happy Early Birthday to your DD!

• Like 1

Go ahead and do it. I know people whose children have December birthdays where nobody wants one more thing to do or one more present and they have "six month birthday parties" in the summer. There's no reason your dd should be denied the chance to ever have a party because her birthday falls at a bad time.

• Like 1

Slightly odd without knowing the backstory, but I think you should do it. I've known kids who celebrated their birthdays other times - like kids who have a birthday near Christmas, but I also knew a girl when I was a kid who had a summer birthday when she was always away from her friends and so she "moved" it to early fall for awhile so she could have a friend party. I mean, it's kids. Kids deserve to get a little fuss for their birthdays.

• Like 1

have her birthday parties on her half birthday.  if you want to do it in the summer this year - go for it.  she needs to have the social time like her peers.

My sil preferred to do swimming parties for her kids.  three were born in warm months.  one was born a week before Christmas . . . she had all her birthday parties in June.

• Like 2

Oh, but as someone with a special needs kid...down play it to her. You probably know that though. But if you hype it up much she's likely to end up too overwhelmed to enjoy it and will make things miserable. If she's like my kid, anyway. 

• Like 1

DS's birthday is in January.  From now on, we will be celebrating in May.  Everyone has been told and no one has batted an eye.  Go for it!

I know people who celebrate birthdays at different times for varying reasons. We rarely do DDs June 3rd birthday close to her birthday because late May earlyJune tends to be nuts. I think it's no big deal at all.

• Like 1

I vote totally fine. My SIL did this for a different reason. (Her son's actually birthday is at a very inconvenient time of year and was getting shunted off again and again. So she did one a couple months before his birthday.) my first thought was, "Wait...it's not his birthday yet." But she gave me the quick rundown of why and then I was, "Oh. Cool!"

I think it's a great idea.   No need to explain in detail to people who don't know her history.

My 15 year old DS just got invited to a birthday party for two of his friends (twins) whose birthday is in early June, but they are throwing their own party at the end of July.  Their actual birthday conflicted with church camp and family travel.  My DS's response to the invitation:  "Your birthday is in June, but you're having your party in July?   Cool!"   I think you'll probably get a similar response.

Sounds like a great plan! People do all kinds of birthday and anniversary things away from the date because it is more convenient/cheaper/requires a certain timeframe. For example, people might take a long-awaited trip to New England for fall colors for their 25th anniversary, the the anniversary is actually in the summer. No big deal.

My ds has a Christmas birthday. On Christmas Day. That holiday week is a hard time to try to plan anything extra and to get friends together for a party.

One year, we had his birthday party on Feb. 25 instead. It was great! Super fun, not a lot of activity conflicts, everyone was in town.

I say go for it! No need to explain beyond it being the best time for your family to host a party. :)