Menu

Do you cook breakfast?

Epicurean

Here it's usually weetbix toast or muesli. Sometimes with yoghurt or fruit.

I think family size budget and culture make such a big difference to stuff like this. With two or three kids it's no big deal for everyone to get their own but with a bigger family having everyone messing up the kitchen is probably harder.

I'm really bad at mornings so I'm really glad we can do a mostly self serve breakfast.

• Like 1

No. I don't like to cook and am not about to do it an extra meal a day.  :)

Unless we're talking about waffles or scrambled eggs for dinner? I'm all over that.

I usually eat Love Grown Hot Oats for breakfast and fix toast and cold cereal for my daughter. My husband gets his own cold cereal. All cold cereal is not junky. It can actually be really useful for increasing iron levels.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

Nope. When you have 40 minutes of outdoor morning. Chores you don't want to add cooking and cleanup to that. I cook on Saturday mornings and it takes me 2.5 hours to be finished with chores cooking and cleaning up. Grrr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's see. Ds requested that I cook breakfast for him and his gf this morning. So I fixed bacon, scrambled eggs, hash browns, oatmeal and strawberries. Ds ate 3 eggs, 4 strips of bacon, 1/2 of 22 oz pkg of hash browns, oatmeal made with 3/4 c. raw oats, some heavy whipping cream and water, a splash of maple syrup; and 1 pound of strawberries. His girlfriend stared in amazement while she ate 1 egg, 1 strip bacon, a small serving of hash browns and a few strawberries.

Repeat for for every morning ds and I are home at the time he eats, with minor variations.

• Like 3

Sort of.  Scrambled eggs, maybe 40%-75% of the time (depends on what kind of week I'm having).  Otherwise it's juice, granola bars, cereal, and fruit.  I have coffee and more coffee.  And sometimes food.   ;)   Sometimes we do oatmeal instead of cereal.  That's it.  Inspiration and stamina in the kitchen is sadly not my forte.  

edited for missing phrases.

Edited by CES2005

Yes, most days.

Eggs, whole wheat toast and fruit 3 days a week, muffins, sausage, pancakes, French toast etc get thrown into the rotation.

I usually plan to do cereal and fruit once a week but the kids almost always wants eggs to go with it (or complain they are hungry 30 min after)

Edited by MaryMak07
  • Like 1

When the kids were small, I made breakfast each morning except Saturdays.   I also made lunch and dinner as well as most snacks.  It made our day go more smoothly if we all ate at the same time.  The mess was also smaller as was the grocery bill.  Breakfast varied but was always easy -  things like overnight french toast, peanut butter bread and smoothie, scrambled cheesy eggs and toast, etc.   Lunch had a lot of bean dishes in the winter, leftovers, wraps with veggies, etc.     Afternoon snack was a time for tea and a light snack as well as read-alounds or  poetry.    Oldest ds who went to ps would be home and loved the after school snack!   Dinner was mostly made in the crockpot or grilled outside by hubby.  Sometimes dh and I would cook dinner together while the kids played.   The kids always helped with clean-up and cooking, except for breakfast.  They would do morning chores and get started in school work while I cleaned up.  As they got older, each dc ( one per week )  had one night a week to cook a meal of his or her own choosing for the family.  We found it to be less work and stress than if everyone made his/her own food.   It may sound like I did a lot of work and serving, but the workload was almost always shared.  It was really easy once we got into the rhythm of it. 

• Like 1

We're not big breakfast eaters here. I usually don't eat until lunch. DH makes oatmeal when he gets to work. DS doesn't get hungry when he wakes up, and when he does, he tends towards dinner leftovers. 

Except for Sundays - DH makes crepes then. Yum!

I make a hot breakfast.  it makes a big difference - preferably something with protein.  we do buy the restaurant precooked sausage patties that I can just pop into the microwave. 

he prefers pancakes . .  they're fast to make (I make from scratch), or dutch babies  I make two at a time - probably should get it where I can just put it in a 9x13 pan - and do two that way.

dh will come in and make palatschenken or waffles. . . .

and now that 2ds works in the morning- he's up for breakfast.

• Like 1

I'd make good use of a slow cooker and put it on around dinner time the night prior. Also make double quantities of whatever you're making for breakfast or dinner and freeze it in 300ml portions. These can easily be gotten out every morning (kids can choose then) and popped in microwave or saucepan on low heat to defrost and reheat.

Someone I follow on instagram says she tries to cook a hot breakfast every weekday morning. The kids eat it during Morning Time. She says it really helps get her children going so that they have enough steam to get through chores and schoolwork.

Do you do something similar? If so, how do you muster the willpower to do it, assuming your children aren't old enough to cook it for you? I'm wondering if this is a routine that might make our mornings go smoother and keep us from just grabbing something carby. On the other hand, the idea of having to cook and then clean up after a big meal in the mornings seems daunting.

Yup. I cooked/prepared breakfast almost every day until my children were tweens. I don't know about "mustering willpower." It was just something I did. And I never expected them to cook *for me.* o_0

It never felt like a "big meal." Hot cereal of some kind (neither dc could tolerate dairy, so no cold cereal), eggs of some kind, IDK. Just...breakfast. :-)

Not usually. Dh and I usually have yogurt and then cereal (often with fruit and not particularly sweet cereals) while we watch last night's late news.  SOmetimes he or I will cook some eggs.  On weekends, sometimes we make things like pancakes or french toast.  Sometimes I make oatmeal.  The dd who is home from college makes her own breakfast/lunch.

Nope.  I don't eat breakfast and neither do my older two kids. 

Cold cereals, yogurt, toast with avocado or nutbutter, fruit, toaster waffles, cream cheese/bagels, scrambled eggs/sausage/bacon (the kids can make themselves if they want.)

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ

Never. I hate eating in the morning and can barely tolerate some coffee. Once the kids are big enough to make their own I quit feeding breakfast. When I did give breakfast it was usually something simple like cereal, yogurt and fruit, or maybe muffins that I'd made the night before. 

DH will sometimes make pancakes or waffles if he's home and he might make the kids eggs or something if they ask. I don't know what the kids eat for breakfast now and don't care. They can have whatever they want- traditional breakfast food, lunch food, leftover dinner, whatever. 

I honestly don't think breakfast is that important for most people. Eat it if you want and enjoy it, but all the "it's the most important meal of the day," talk is just marketing IMO. 

Nope.......... Dh used to make a big hot breakfast most Saturday or Sunday mornings. Now it's maybe once a month. Breakfast is not a family meal here. People get up and/or leave house at different times. Cereal (yep, the cold stuff) is always available. Usually Cheerios, Life and Quaker Oat Squares are in the pantry. Side of whichever fruit we happen to have that you want (usually have apples, mand. oranges, cut up cantaloupe/watermelon (bought pre-cut), strawberries, bananas). Almost always have boiled eggs on hand. Yogurt too. And frozen whole grain waffles. Milk, apple juice, orange juice, coffee and water are available for beverages. No policing, but please eat what you take (or at least, most of it). Family members put together want they want from above. If there happens to be leftover pizza in the house, it is likely to get eaten for breakfast.

Edited by QueenCat

Generally, yes.*  We do scrambled eggs with "extras" (vegetables and cheese) a lot. Sometimes we do pancakes with fresh fruit. Sometimes we do oatmeal with some kind of homemade nut paste or peanut butter.  We also do breakfast salad which is cold. 

*With the caveat that sometimes that "hot" breakfast is actually prepared by DH (especially if I worked an overnight physician ED shift and may be coming home just as breakfast is getting to the table---or after it has been cleared away in some cases).

I make smoothies for me and the kids every morning.

For dd10, I also scramble 2 eggs and give her a piece of sausage (I cook 5 pieces every mondy, so she has one each morning during the week).  She needs a high-protein breakfast.

I made breakfast for the kids when they were little, but they've both grown to be a bit anti-breakfast. We prefer to have a cup of tea first thing and then real food after we've been awake for about two hours. By then you can really choose between breakfast or lunch food. DS usually wants eggs, toast, and meat. It's quick, takes one skillet, and I usually put it in the dishwasher. My dishwasher is emptied by the time I get around to cooking, so there's no clean up beyond sticking stuff in the dishwasher.

When my tea wears off and I get hungry I generally make a smoothie. This restarts the clock so I don't have to think about cooking for a while. We do dinner around two, so most days I do my significant eating then. My smoothie does have fruit, yogurt, oats, and nuts, so it's substantial.

Dd and DH are able-bodied adults, so they feed themselves whatever they want in the morning. Supper is when we do our lighter lunch-style meal. This is where we tackle leftovers or do something easy like sandwiches. This works because DH works from home and I teach a lot of evening classes.

Absolutely not.  When they were little I worked full time.  Breakfast during the week was grab and go.  When we started homeschooling and had time in the mornings I taught them how to make their own hot breakfast.  You want a hot breakfast; learn to cook.

When my mother lived with us before moving out west and I was still working full time, I came downstairs one morning to find her making the kids a hot breakfast.  I said "what are you doing? They will expect this everyday."  She made them a hot breakfast most mornings she was here. Fortunately they understood that only grandma was doing this for them.

Kind of.... I make our own yogurt once or twice a week. Does that count?

We are encouraging kids (and adults) to eat when hungry. Some of my kids wake up pretty hungry and others aren't really hungry until around 11:00. I think there is more sluggishness if eating on a schedule. That being said, my 11 year old can make oatmeal, hard boilded and scrambled eggs..so not much for me to do really.

Homemade whole grain hot cereals aren't what I was referring to, but processed cereals in boxes or bags. Colloquially a porridge is different than a cereal in the part of the country I live in.

I was referring to a cold food, not cooked/hot like porridge. So muesli would not be considered "cereal"?  

Serious question, no snark. Where I come from, the sugary puffed cereal is grouped in the same category as healthy unsweetened muesli; both are cold and typically eaten at breakfast. 

• Like 1