Menu

Manhattan, NY Driving Advice

jewellsmommy

We are going to Boston soon. We are considering a quick excursion into Manhattan on the way back home. Dd would like to go see the NY Library. I find her choice (out of all of NY City) to be mildly amusing, but anyway... I found a parking app where we can pre-purchase parking for $19 and walk about 2 blocks. 

I was discussing this with my mom, and she freaked out about us driving into the center of the city.  :huh:  Dh and I were briefly in the area about 17 yrs ago, but we were mostly working at the Liberty Science Center and only went into the city one quick time (our co-worker drove). I didn't remember having any issues.

My anxiety is really high right now because I have some weird medical stuff going on, and my mom has now gotten me concerned about this plan :lol:  (my mother is on the anxious side herself). Dh would be the one driving. I describe him as an aggressively-defensive driver :tongue_smilie: but he is well trained and is the safety-driver trainer for our city's traffic engineering dept., plus, we have driven in several big cities (Philadelphia, DC, Indianapolis) before. 

To talk with my mother, you would think that every NY driver is on some anger-induced high, driving over cars with their eyes closed  :lol:  :driving: and then there was some unspeakable horror regarding taxi drivers.  

Advice? This was supposed to be just a couple of hours type thing. I really don't want to have to park in Jersey and use transportation in and out. But, is that really the better bet? Are my plans inherently flawed? There is just sooo much going on right now. If ya'll suggest the subway-metro route, then tell me where to go and how to get there  :lol: cause I am not up for learning a whole system in a city I want to only be in for like 4 hours.

Thank you...and I apologize for my mother's offense against our NY boardie drivers. 

I wouldn't worry about driving in the city at all.  I'm a not-overly aggressive driver with some minor depth perception issues and I drive in the city periodically.   I usually drive through the Lincoln Tunnel, around Port Authority, and to the Museum of Natural History or that general area.  The worst part is when there's construction.  

For the most part, nobody is driving very fast in the middle of the city so the worst you may see (or experience) is a fender-bender.   Pay attention to the lights, don't get caught in the intersection when it changes, and watch out for crazy pedestrians that will walk right in front of your car.

ETA:  Philly was much much worse for me.  I ended up getting side-swiped by someone changing lanes without looking.   There was no place to stop or pull over without being in the middle of traffic.  It was a mess, but the damage was minor.  A little dent with no chipped paint. 

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 5

Google Maps is your friend. We drove into Manhattan and the Google Maps lady held our hand every step of the way. No problems.

As for parking, DH downloaded the app Spothero and it found us a nicely priced spot for our stay. Worked great and Google Maps directed him right there.

If you ask Google Maps to get you from your location (parking garage) to the library and then change the setting to public transit it will tell you how to walk to the appropriate stop, what train/bus to take, what stop to get off, how to walk the rest of the way.

Keep your phone charged and you'll be fine! If your phone isn't capable you can do all that from a desk-top computer and print everything out.

• Like 4

I'm not from there but I've been to NYC a few times and we always took the subway. Get a subway map and figure out which lines you need to take, which is your stop, etc. We found it easy to read the map and easy to get around.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've never driven in NYC, and in fact have only been in NYC once, but when I was a truck driver the consensus was that you do not want to do NYC. But that was more to do with confusing directions, grid lock, etc, plus 18-wheelers are inherently a lot harder to deal with than regular cars (if you find out you're in the wrong lane for the exit you need to take, that's a lot harder to fix at the last moment in an 18-wheeler, and 18-wheelers can't always drive on the same roads as regular cars because of low underpasses, or hazmat restrictions, etc - missing your exit can be a much bigger hassle in an 18-wheeler). So, anyway, the trucking company I drove for had a simulator for driving in NYC so you could practice NYC driving before actually being in NYC. Luckily, I never got sent to NYC, so, w/e. That was back in 2007/2008, btw, when not all truck drivers used GPS yet either.

I'd try to avoid driving in NYC/Manhattan, but I suspect it'd mostly be a PITA. Like, I wouldn't be scared to, I just wouldn't want to. I'd really study the map and Google street view etc, because GPS can sometimes give you directions just a tad too slowly to respond, and that's been plenty of annoying in, say, downtown Houston - make one wrong turn and it's a mess to solve. But, I hate driving downtown anywhere, really. I can drive for hours and hours and hours on a highway, not a problem, I can even deal with traffic jams, but anything involving one way streets and that kind of stuff... nope, hate it.

• Like 1

I vote GO FOR IT! :)

I have been driving in Manhattan ever since I started driving, and as long as you anticipate traffic and congestion, it's not a big deal at all. You'll be in safe areas and you'll already have your parking arranged, so there's really nothing to worry about.

You guys will be fine. Just go with the flow, don't get stressed if you get into a littlest gridlock, and enjoy your visit! :)

• Like 7

Personally, I park away near manhattan and take the train into manhattan.  Then walk everywhere.  When are you planning on doing this?  I would check and double check to see if there are any festivals, events, runs, etc taking place then and make plans from there.  Don't forget to add time to the estimated travel time in the car. 

• Like 1

My girls and I drove up to NYC last summer from DC.  We went on a whim - found hotel reservations that morning.  I had never been to NYC and my dh usually does any scary driving, but he was at scout camp and we were getting ready to move far away and we wanted to see the big apple!!  So we went.  And it was stressful!  No one obeyed the red lights.  So many cars.  Not in lanes, etc.  But we did fine!!  We had parking at our hotel, so I don't have any advice there.  But do it!  It will be awesome!! 

• Like 3

Its no trouble. Its easier than DC because its so slow after 8 am.It will not be fast if you hit rush hour. Be prepared for bridge tolls and map your route in advance. Have water and snacks because you may get a long traffic delay on the way out. Even after rush hour we have been delayed significantly due to simple things like police activity shutting down enough lanes to congest traffic.

Train may be faster, but depends on your route. You could park at say, Bronx Zoo and take train. Or Tarrytown and use Metro North, since the library is so close to Grand Central. For more than one person it may be cheaper to drive in, and use your gridlock time to sightsee.

Edited by Heigh Ho

What exactly does she wants to see at the library? The lions? Anyway the library might be a let down but it's on Bryant park which is lovely enough.

Driving in NYC is like typical urban driving, stop and go type thing. I cannot do it because I'm only used to rural driving and I learned to drive yesterday :)but DH does it every week.

You can split the baby by parking near say Hoboken and taking the PATH in.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

I'd have more of an issue driving into Jersey via the turnpike than driving in the city. However, the city is most easily navigated by subway. For the record, I grew up right across from the city and driving there was much less stressful than driving in DC.  :)

There are tours available, if you're so inclined. https://www.nypl.org/events/tours/schwarzman

• Like 1

We are going to Boston soon. We are considering a quick excursion into Manhattan on the way back home. Dd would like to go see the NY Library. I find her choice (out of all of NY City) to be mildly amusing, but anyway... I found a parking app where we can pre-purchase parking for $19 and walk about 2 blocks.

I was discussing this with my mom, and she freaked out about us driving into the center of the city. :huh: Dh and I were briefly in the area about 17 yrs ago, but we were mostly working at the Liberty Science Center and only went into the city one quick time (our co-worker drove). I didn't remember having any issues.

My anxiety is really high right now because I have some weird medical stuff going on, and my mom has now gotten me concerned about this plan :lol: (my mother is on the anxious side herself). Dh would be the one driving. I describe him as an aggressively-defensive driver :tongue_smilie: but he is well trained and is the safety-driver trainer for our city's traffic engineering dept., plus, we have driven in several big cities (Philadelphia, DC, Indianapolis) before.

To talk with my mother, you would think that every NY driver is on some anger-induced high, driving over cars with their eyes closed :lol: :driving: and then there was some unspeakable horror regarding taxi drivers.

Advice? This was supposed to be just a couple of hours type thing. I really don't want to have to park in Jersey and use transportation in and out. But, is that really the better bet? Are my plans inherently flawed? There is just sooo much going on right now. If ya'll suggest the subway-metro route, then tell me where to go and how to get there :lol: cause I am not up for learning a whole system in a city I want to only be in for like 4 hours.

Thank you...and I apologize for my mother's offense against our NY boardie drivers.

Your dh will be fine. We drove there and stayed on Park and 60th for five days this winter and did fine. Dh and I made the comment that everyone drives the way he does, which happens to be aggressively defensive. We are from Houston, btw.

• Like 2

What exactly does she wants to see at the library? The lions? Anyway the library might be a let down but it's on Bryant park which is lovely enough.

Driving in NYC is like typical urban driving, stop and go type thing. I cannot do it because I'm only used to rural driving and I learned to drive yesterday :)but DH does it every week.

I agree with this.  It is not that exciting.  There is a gift shop.  And the children's section.  Christopher Milne's orginal stuffed animals that inspired Winnie the Pooh used to be on display there, but I thought they had been moved or stored for awhile for renovations, but I could be wrong.  But really, 30 minutes would be stretching it for a visit.  

Take the train in from NJ or somewhere.

But the driving is easy enough.  No one is going fast.  You will just need a good map/gps.  And know where a parking garage is (don't even try and park on the street unless you are incredibly lucky and an incrible parallel parker, who can do it fast and in one go!)

And if you don't have an easy pass, you will have to pay cash for all bridges and tunnels and NJ parkway.  Make sure you are in the correct lanes early. (that woudl be more stressful to me than NYC driving.  Plus NY drivers hate cash payers.  They slow everything down and block the easy pass lanes.)

• Like 1

She read that it's the 2nd largest library in the US and then there is the iconic moment from the Ghostbusters  :lol: . I have a weird family.

I noticed Bryant Park and thought we would walk over to it as well.

Dh doesn't mind the driving. Traffic is what he does for a living. The only thing that makes me roll my eyes is when we are in Norfolk or Va. Beach or other local city  and he complains about their traffic set up (light distances and whatever) because our city (where he works) is sooo superior in following NHSTB rules or something like that... :001_rolleyes: . He ranted in Philadelphia  about some intersections that would violate Virginia rules. "Well, dear. We're not in VA now are we?"  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

She read that it's the 2nd largest library in the US and then there is the iconic moment from the Ghostbusters :lol: . I have a weird family.

I noticed Bryant Park and thought we would walk over to it as well.

Dh doesn't mind the driving. Traffic is what he does for a living. The only thing that makes me roll my eyes is when we are in Norfolk or Va. Beach or other local city and he complains about their traffic set up (light distances and whatever) because our city (where he works) is sooo superior in following NHSTB rules or something like that... :001_rolleyes: . He ranted in Philadelphia about some intersections that would violate Virginia rules. "Well, dear. We're not in VA now are we?" :rolleyes:

*whispers softly* DS meets his writing tutor there in the private rooms and I've never seen a book. I'm sure they're there someplace. :) this is not the sort of things I'd face the GW bridge over, truth be told.
  • Like 4

My anxiety is really high right now because I have some weird medical stuff going on, and my mom has now gotten me concerned about this plan :lol:  (my mother is on the anxious side herself). Dh would be the one driving. I describe him as an aggressively-defensive driver :tongue_smilie: but he is well trained and is the safety-driver trainer for our city's traffic engineering dept., plus, we have driven in several big cities (Philadelphia, DC, Indianapolis) before. 

Ok, given this, go for it.  I'm just saying "I" would not do it myself. No way.  But if he is game and feels ok about it, then why not? 

• Like 2

I've been to both Rome and Manhattan this past year.  I don't recommend driving or parking in either!  We sat in a cab for 30 minutes to get like 3 blocks at one point in NYC.  Nuts.  I would find parking outside of the city and transit in for sure.   The transit is user friendly and part of embracing the city. 

All that said, it's such a fabulous and interesting city!  I could have spent so much more time there than we did on this trip. 

• Like 2

On a Sunday, with a driver who's game, you'll be fine.  The two irritants with NY driving are traffic (much less on Sunday) and parking (and you have a good plan).  A two block walk is ~1/10 of a mile, about the length to my mailbox.  Here's a Special Treat restaurant right there.

• Like 2

With your time frame, I would totally drive in, park nearby, and use the time for sightseeing.

Dh and I did a tour of the library last year. I enjoyed it, and was disappointed that the Rose Room was closed for renovations, but it is open now.

• Like 2

Didn't read replies.

I love Manhattan. I used to cut school to go all the time, lol.  Dh does a lot of work in the city and is experienced in driving there.

I do not get in cars in the city.

That's not entirely true.  My aunt has driven me once to visit my grandfather in the hospital, and I was an anxious mess. 

I am all about underground transportation and walking in Manhattan.  And I say that as someone with a hefty dose of claustrophobia!

• Like 1

If you have to do it, Sunday is the best day (for driving in the city). You have parking figured out, so that makes it a lot easier. Just to echo previous posters, expect tolls heading into the city. One more bit of advice -- Make sure you have your tank filled enough so you don't need to find a gas station in the city.  That's no fun.

-been driving in Manhattan for 20 years (driving in the city on *weekdays* is NO fun and AVOID RUSH HOUR LIKE THE PLAGUE)

• Like 4

https://dmv.ny.gov/org/younger-driver/i-drive-nyc-five-boroughs-what-are-restrictions

If I'm reading that correctly, you can drive around NYC with a learner's permit at 16yo, so long as it's between certain hours and with a licensed driver sitting next to you. Also, at 17 you can get your regular driver's license if you completed a certain course:

https://dmv.ny.gov/younger-driver/new-york-city-five-boroughs-junior-license-restriction-0

Aside from that, if you got your driver's license from another state at 16yo, I don't think it'd occur to me that NYC might have weird laws about not letting licensed drivers drive, but, I didn't get my first learner's permit until I was 20 and living in Texas, so I'm pretty clueless about minors driving and NY/NYC in particular.

• Like 1

I don't think it's that dangerous to drive, lol, but it does seem silly to pay all that for parking and all when you can just take the train.

Have you priced it? Train is far more expensive than parking, gas, and tolls when its more than one person.

Have you priced it? Train is far more expensive than parking, gas, and tolls when its more than one person.

Right.  Coming from CT suburbs, when it's just one of us, we usually use the train (~$15-24 RT depending on day & time for the train, then bus/subway at $2.75 a trip... plus $10 to park at the train station).  Three or more or us it's definitely cheaper to pay the toll and parking (and going to the East Side there are bridge crossings without tolls; and if you know where to look and how to read the blasted signs, in many neighborhoods-- not the NY Library neighborhood-- you can find street parking).  Two people, it's a wash money-wise though sometimes one or the other is more convenient.

Depending on where you're going, sometimes driving is faster (for us, uptown); for others public transport is.

But I understand the OP to be driving down from Boston, so the "public transport" option would entail parking somewhere outside the city (and you have to pay for suburban train station parking), training in and training back out just to pick up the car?  Just to avoid driving in the city?

• Like 2

Chicago native here, and I have also vacationed in Manhattan.

Don't drive in Manhattan. Don't drive in downtown Chicago either.

Public transportation is sooooooooo much easier. Cheaper, too.

It's possible to drive in either location (and I have done so successfully) but there's just no point when the trains are so good and so. much. easier.

Right.  Coming from CT suburbs, when it's just one of us, we usually use the train (~$15-24 RT depending on day & time for the train, then bus/subway at $2.75 a trip... plus $10 to park at the train station).  Three or more or us it's definitely cheaper to pay the toll and parking (and going to the East Side there are bridge crossings without tolls; and if you know where to look and how to read the blasted signs, in many neighborhoods-- not the NY Library neighborhood-- you can find street parking).  Two people, it's a wash money-wise though sometimes one or the other is more convenient.

Depending on where you're going, sometimes driving is faster (for us, uptown); for others public transport is.

But I understand the OP to be driving down from Boston, so the "public transport" option would entail parking somewhere outside the city (and you have to pay for suburban train station parking), training in and training back out just to pick up the car?  Just to avoid driving in the city?

I agree with Pam.  We do sometimes train in from NJ, usually if we have lots of time and the train ride is part of the fun for the kids.  But that usually means catching a cab in the city because I don't bring my kids on the subway.  Mainly due to ds's SPD - the smells and noises of the subway would drive him bonkers.  

From my area (about 30 miles from NYC), there's a Midtown Direct train that takes between 70 and 120 minutes (depending on stops, it varies at different times).  It's $15/adult and $6.80/child one way.  And you have to pay for parking at the train station.

We always seem to just miss a return train coming back, so end up hanging out in Penn Station for an hour.   

The Lincoln Tunnel is a $15/car toll ONLY on the trip into NYC, no toll on the way out.  Getting parking online ahead of time you can sometimes get $12 - $20 for all day.    

• Like 1

I didn't love driving in Manhattan, but it really, really wasn't a big deal.  I don't think you have anything to worry about!  The traffic was intense, but there was nothing dangerous about it.... it just took longer (and the time I missed my turn and had to go around the block felt as if it took *forever*)

I certainly found driving with multiple people much easier (and cheaper) than public transit would have been for what we were doing. ymmv

[This was two years ago.  We went in and out of Manhattan twice, once in the evening and once entering in the morning and leaving in the afternoon.  Previous experiences are probably old enough to be irrelevant, but mt first time was as a not very experienced teen driver and, again, did not find it to be anything dreadful.  Congested, time consuming, sometimes frustrating, but not alarming or dangerous or traumatic!]

I was so stressed about DH driving in downtown Manhattan when we went before we were married.....and it wasn't that bad at all.  As someone else mentioned, everyone is going pretty slow.  So yes, it's crowded and frustrating, but it's not life threatening.

• Like 1

Traffic can be very heavy around New York City, due to sheer volume, but I find Boston traffic to be crazier.

You say you have some medical issues. Given that, I am doubling down on advising that you stick with the plan to use your own car rather than public transportation for a brief trip.

• Like 1

My mother learned to drive in NYC and I was driving around NYC at 16. It's not a big deal.

If you're familiar with Manhattan, you're right, it's not a big deal.

If, however, you don't know the area, it can be easy to miss a turn and can take *forever* to get back to where you need to be because of one way roads, construction (happening a lot in these last few weeks), and even a garbage truck or an oil truck blocking a side street (sometimes for 10 minutes).

I drive in Manhattan every weekend and have for years... however, there are days/times that are stressful for me (and I am not a shy driver).  

I think we have to consider that the OP is not familiar with the city. That makes it harder. Doable, yes, especially on a Sunday.  But probably a little bit of a deal, even on a Sunday.

Have fun, OP.

• Like 2

I was so stressed about DH driving in downtown Manhattan when we went before we were married.....and it wasn't that bad at all.  As someone else mentioned, everyone is going pretty slow.  So yes, it's crowded and frustrating, but it's not life threatening.

You said "everyone is going pretty slow" and I just about cracked up!  Where in Manhattan is everyone going slow?

OP: Here are my two cents. The most stressful part of driving in Manhattan is the taxis and the pedestrians. Taxis will  cross lanes without signalling, will drive practically *into* you to get in front of you, and will streak across several lanes and stop suddenly in the middle of the side-most lane to pick up or drop off a fare. Pedestrians in Manhattan, in many places but specifically in lower Manhattan, will cross when it is not their turn, will cross in the middle of the road (not at the intersection), and will *run* across in front of you hoping to make it across before you get there. Some don't even look. Nowadays with cell phones becoming ubiquitous, there are more and more pedestrians crossing without looking up from them. *Some* stare you down and hold up their hand in the "stop" position while walking right in front of your *in motion* vehicle.  

If you are used to this, you are hyper-aware as you drive, and it's "no big deal," though it creates enough stress that daily Manhattan drivers sometimes yell curses out the window and lean on their horns.

Easiest driving is to be had on the highways that run up/down the western (West Side Highway) and eastern (the FDR) sides of the island. Here, traffic can be quick in places, and people *will* cut you off. Exits come up quickly with short exit/entrance ramps. Vehicles, therefore, accelerate and decelerate quickly, which is something else to be aware of.

There shouldn't be much traffic (compared to weekdays) on a Sunday, so it is definitely the best time to drive into/out of Manhattan!

• Like 1

If you live out of state, you can get a free library card to the NYC public library for three months.  To renew it you have to go back to the library.  The beauty of it is that you can borrow Kindle books and audio books using the Overdrive app, and you don't need to visit the library for that.  So even if you can only go the once, that means free summer reading for the whole family until mid-August!  They let you check out 12 books per card, IIRC.  You need an ID to get the card.  In-state folks can get a card for longer.  I have library cards from several other large cities, and their e-book collections are nowhere near as extensive as the NYPL.

The building is really nice - lots of carvings and such.  In the lobby there is a very small cafe - too small to really call a cafe - that has a VERY limited selection of pastries and perhaps 2-3 kinds of sandwiches as well as drinks.  They have about 5 tables.  There are also tables in front of the library (outside) which is a nice place to enjoy a picnic lunch.

There is a gift shop in the lobby also.  It has some cool stuff for book-lovers.  Things like socks with literary themes, and so on.  We enjoyed looking through it.  Lots of gift ideas.  There's a nice display in the window right now of important women.

You need to go to the third floor to get a library card.  While you're there, there is usually an art exhibit of some sort on the walls of the hallway.  Last weekend it was of historical South American photos.  I wouldn't go just for the exhibit, but it's interesting to look at if you're there anyway.  They sometimes have other exhibits; there was a Hamilton one a while back but it is closed now I think.  Check their website to see what may be on offer when you're there.  

All of the rooms are full of marble and carved wood and all kinds of cool stuff to look at.  It is a majestic building.

There's also a ladies room on the third floor.  Be aware that the ladies' room(s) close earlier than the library itself!!!  (The cleaning staff wants to get their job finished and leave when everyone else does, I think.)

The Milne stuffed animals were on display in the children's department when I was there a couple weeks ago.

I usually take the train into the city then walk to the library.  Driving won't be fun but is do-able.  Best if you have a designated navigator so you're not trying to navigate and drive at the same time.

• Like 4

If you are going to have to walk two blocks anyways, just take the subway.

https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

If you decide to take "the train" from NJ, take the PATH. Here's a link that shows you where it goes (closest to the library is either the yellow or blue lines that end at 33rd and then you walk a little). There is a "fares" tab so you can figure out the ticket prices. Depending on the number of people you have, it could be pretty much the same price to take the PATH and walk as it would be to pay for tolls into the city plus parking. It could even be cheaper.

Jersey people:

Which PATH station would be easiest in this situation? (parking, easy to get to from the highway, etc.)

• Like 1