Menu

S/O: House listing

DawnM

I would not touch that house with a ten foot pole. An existing renter, who does not pay, but must be maintained. And I don't get to see the whole house?

no thanks.

The price is not cheap enough for that. My parents are putting a fairly nice house on the market in West Columbia, SC for the same price. Without those drawbacks

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 7

I'm house hunting right now, and I've come across several foreclosed properties that say "no showings, do not bother occupant", and essentially "once you buy the house getting them evicted is your problem."  I wonder if there's a similar situation going on.

Edited by Tangerine
  • Like 4

Yeah, I keep wondering who in their right minds would buy a house like this?

My guess is that it is indeed way overpriced for the area.

If you fixed it up could you ever get out of it what you put in?  My guess is that the answer would be no.

For $60K MAYBE, but even then, the upstairs tenant would have to go.  It might take a wrecking ball, but it would have to happen.

• Like 2

The real estate agent seems terribly frustrated by the situation.  

I wonder what that first meeting between the owner and the agency was like.  "O.k. I have this house I want to sell. It needs a lot of work but I am not able to put in that work so I wish to sell it "as is".  Oh, by the way, I have a tenant with a contract that pays no rent living upstairs.  They won't be moving out and no one who looks at the property can look inside that area of the house.  I have no idea what the condition of that area of the house is.  The person who buys the property will have to deal with the person who is living upstairs rent free.  I'm thinking I can get at least $140,000...."

:blink:

• Like 11

The real estate agent seems terribly frustrated by the situation.  

I wonder what that first meeting between the owner and the agency was like.  "O.k. I have this house I want to sell. It needs a lot of work but I am not able to put in that work so I wish to sell it "as is".  Oh, by the way, I have a tenant with a contract that pays no rent living upstairs.  They won't be moving out and no one who looks at the property can look inside that area of the house.  I have no idea what the condition of that area of the house is.  The person who buys the property will have to deal with the person who is living upstairs rent free.  I'm thinking I can get at least $140,000...."

:blink:

I am surprised any realtor would take it on!

But I do imagine that is what transpired.

• Like 4

I'm house hunting right now, and I've come across several foreclosed properties that say "no showings, do not bother occupant", and essentially "once you buy the house getting them evicted is your problem."  I wonder if there's a similar situation going on.

We have a situation where a family member has legal documents drawn up that another family member may live in an apartment for the rest of her life unless she marries and gets the property upon the death of the owner. This is part of the will of the previous co-owner. I wonder if it's something like this and the property must be sold with that clause included.

My vote is ghosts, aliens, or dead bodies hidden up there. I wouldn't buy that if it were $1!

Edited by Paige
  • Like 1

I saw someone share this the other day. And then I saw several people share other odd listings. One where part of the house had not been opened for decades. Another where the house was said to be haunted. I'm telling you... there's a short story in these things.

• Like 6

Odd house, but those "conditions" might not even be enforceable.  We looked at buying several tenant occupied houses and since we were moving in, they would have to move out by closing in CA. Now if we wanted to buy one to rent, then we would assume the lease, but I HIGHLY doubt the lease says "$0" rent. So the minute they don't pay, you can leave a 5 day "pay or quit" notice basically. 

But still WAY overpriced I have a feeling.....

Odd house, but those "conditions" might not even be enforceable. We looked at buying several tenant occupied houses and since we were moving in, they would have to move out by closing in CA. Now if we wanted to buy one to rent, then we would assume the lease, but I HIGHLY doubt the lease says "$0" rent. So the minute they don't pay, you can leave a 5 day "pay or quit" notice basically.

But still WAY overpriced I have a feeling.....

I was wondering if perhaps the sellers just do not have the funds to put into a legal battle trying to evict a non-paying tenant. Pacific Heights, anyone?

• Like 1

Umm . . .picture 17. . .that's red paint, right? Just paint?

I saw someone share this the other day. And then I saw several people share other odd listings. One where part of the house had not been opened for decades. Another where the house was said to be haunted. I'm telling you... there's a short story in these things.

I'm thinking they'd make for a good HGTV series. ;)

• Like 7

Weird. When we were looking for our first house we expressed interest in a house that looked a little overgrown, but basically okay. We asked our realtor, who spoke to their realtor, who told us that we couldn't actually see the house unless we bought it. A relative of the deceased owner was occupying it, and chased away anyone who tried to see it. The kids, who had been willed the house, were trying to sell it, but were having a hard time evicting the weird cousin or whatever, and figured whoever bought the house could do it. Um, yeah. The house was on the market forever. They wanted market price for a house that could be shown and didn't come with a weird cousin, not a "grab-bag" price, which is what it warranted, being a grab-bag house. 

• Like 1

Truly bizarre. What a shame. From the outside, it looks like a house I would want to see, also seems there is a good-sized lot but what on earth could be the situation with the upstairs area? I wonder if anyone will even bother to look at it. The main area appears to be in great need of TLC.

• Like 1

I notice they never actually said it was a person living there—just an occupant... :leaving:

A family of rodents who don't pay rent? I had those too at one point. :laugh:

Maybe the rodents were taking too many baths and flooded the upstairs - hence the water damage downstairs.

If the downstairs has water damage, would it not mean there is some kind of "water" problem upstairs in the mysterious apartment nobody can see?

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

The street name is cute. It makes me think of Jane Austen :-).

I look at houses and always think about what it would be like to give people my address. Since I'm in the thick of it now, I've noticed it more. There's a neighborhood I've looked at with authors as street names. But not just "Dickens Rd." The street names are FULL names. James Fenimore Cooper Lane. John Greenleaf Whittier Place. On one hand, I think it is awesome. On the other, I feel like it would require a lot of spelling or explanation when giving your address. Fermilab has a neighborhood with a house for sale on Quark Court. I would sound like a complete idiot every time I tried to say Quark Court out loud.

Edited by Tangerine
  • Like 6

Guys! It's a mad, estranged wife! I read about this somewhere 😂

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one whose brain went there :D

Is the seller named Mr. Rochester?

That is just weird.  The thing is, it clearly has been a rental, which means the owner is going to also pay capital gains on the place (I think) so even if he DID get $130K (choking), he has to pay a 20% tax on the difference.  

I don't even know how someone gets into a mess like this, but if I were this guy...boy, you can't just walk away...there are still the property taxes.  And who knows what is liability is with the .... tenant.  

Ugh.  And creepy.

Who wants to go to SC and get murdered?

So, so tempting. Unfortunately, I have to find a place to live *here* by the end of the month, so I don't have time for field trips. If it was near me though, I would seriously consider contacting the realtor and get him to show me the lower parts of the house (and the actual terms of the upper occupant's lease). So, so, curious. Not that I'd buy it... I mean, maybe if it cost the same as our previous house... which was about 1/10th of the asking price for this house.

• Like 1

LOL

Upstairs apartment cannot be shown under any circumstances.

What kind of weirdness is that!!!

And it says not to ask. 

That should be potential buyer's FIRST question!  Who the heck lives there and why?

• Like 1

"Upstairs apartment cannot be shown under any circumstances."

​Oh, okay, they don't want the liability of someone falling through the sketchy floorboards.

"Buyer assumes responsibility for the month-to-month tenancy in the upstairs apartment."

What in the heck?!

• Like 2

I don't understand how you can have both a month-to-month tenancy and a lease. With my admittedly minimal knowledge of property law, I would think it would be one or the other.

Glad I'm not the only one confused by that. The whole thing is baffling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand how you can have both a month-to-month tenancy and a lease. With my admittedly minimal knowledge of property law, I would think it would be one or the other.

Maybe the tenant has the right to break the lease with 30 days at at time but the owner doesn't.

I wonder if the serinherited this property from a crazy relative and is just stuck with it.

Can you refuse to accept something left you in a will?

They could be poorly explaining person holding over at the end of the lease, which automatically creates a month-to-month tenancy. Maybe?

So...starving artist in the upstairs, severe roof leaks going on, and whoever the last downstairs tenant was, they left a mess.

Not for $130K. I wouldn't buy that hot mess for $130K if it was in a lovely bit of central Phoenix metro area.

• Like 2