Menu

Trying to decide whether or not to put dd on the pill (obviously female content)

A little history: I started menses at 14 and was quite irregular. Doctor suggested I start the pill when I was 16 to regulate cycles. Okay, doctor knows best, so I did (with dm's permission). Got off the pill when I married in 1990 (so I was on the pill for 4 years, if I'm remembering right).

Since then I've always had irregular cycles and several doctors have suggested I get back on the pill. I always turned it down because we were usually trying to conceive. Then after we decided we were done, I still decided against it because I remembered reading something about health concerns, increased cancer risk, etc. I don't remember the details. Something about high estrogen levels increasing cancer risks.

Dd started her menses just before she turned 13. Her cycles were pretty regular until the last year or so. Now they're starting to resemble mine. (6-9 months in between cycles is not uncommon for me.) We have an appt with an OB/GYN and I have a strong feeling the doc/nurse is going to recommend the pill. I've started looking online for information. Much of it is conflicting. Increased chance of heart disease is one I haven't heard before. Decreased chance of endometrial and ovarian cancer. Increased chance of breast cancer, cervical cancer and liver cancer. Cholesterol is affected.

UGH! So, I'm hoping some of you will have some information and can help me decide whether or not to do this. I'm solely interested in the health concerns of being on the pill. My mom and her mom have never had this problem with irregular cycles and there is no history of cancer in my side of the family.

My gut reaction is not to start her on the pill. For one thing, it isn't uncommon for a girl's cycles to be irregular when she first begins menstruating. She's also awfully young to be on artificial hormones for an extended length of time. The pill isn't a method of treating whatever it is that is causing irregular cycles, it only acts as a regulator. So if there is some underlying problem it may go undiagnosed.

A women's health site recommends trying other more natural things before using the pill to regulate your menstrual cycle.

Irregular cycles can be caused by a number of things, some more serious than others. I would recommend that you read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. The book isn't only fertility information for those looking to conceive, it has a lot of basic information about how a woman's body works. (I would give you more specific information, but I've loaned my copy to a friend and haven't gotten it back yet!)

The author has also written a book for teen girls called Cycle Savvy. (I haven't read the teen one, I just saw it when I checked the TCOYF site.)

Good luck.

Does she/do you have PCOS? (polycystic ovary ...)

I have this, and my symptoms were very similar to your dd's. You haven't mentioned if she has heavy cycles when they do come, but I did. The doctor suggested the pill, and my mother declined. I ended up growing hair (as in, a moustache), getting very depressed and gaining a lot of weight. I finally went on the pill at about 24 and it was great.

Yes, check alternatives and see if you can get an actual diagnosis other than just 'irregularity', but I would consider it if other alternatives fail.

For what it's worth, specifically on the cancer risk, endometrial and ovarian cancer are usually not as easily detected and there are no standard screening tests for them, whereas there are widespread screening tests for breast and cervical cancer. Since the pill decreases the (very small) risk of endometrial and ovarian cancer and increases the (very small) risk of breast and cervical cancer, I figured the cancer risk wouldn't bother me.

I know people who have gone on the pill for the reasons you describe. Please feel free to send me a PM.

Anne

I have also heard that prolonged use of the pill can make it difficult to conceive later. Here is a link that discusses this a bit. And the other health stuff concerned me too which is one reason why I went off it after a couple years. I always get freaked out when the commercials for the pill talk about all of the increased risks - stroke, blood clots, sudden death....etc.

I wish I had more to add....I hope that you get the information you need to make a good decision. :grouphug:

A little history: I started menses at 14 and was quite irregular. Doctor suggested I start the pill when I was 16 to regulate cycles. Okay, doctor knows best, so I did (with dm's permission). Got off the pill when I married in 1990 (so I was on the pill for 4 years, if I'm remembering right).

Since then I've always had irregular cycles and several doctors have suggested I get back on the pill. I always turned it down because we were usually trying to conceive. Then after we decided we were done, I still decided against it because I remembered reading something about health concerns, increased cancer risk, etc. I don't remember the details. Something about high estrogen levels increasing cancer risks.

Dd started her menses just before she turned 13. Her cycles were pretty regular until the last year or so. Now they're starting to resemble mine. (6-9 months in between cycles is not uncommon for me.) We have an appt with an OB/GYN and I have a strong feeling the doc/nurse is going to recommend the pill. I've started looking online for information. Much of it is conflicting. Increased chance of heart disease is one I haven't heard before. Decreased chance of endometrial and ovarian cancer. Increased chance of breast cancer, cervical cancer and liver cancer. Cholesterol is affected.

UGH! So, I'm hoping some of you will have some information and can help me decide whether or not to do this. I'm solely interested in the health concerns of being on the pill. My mom and her mom have never had this problem with irregular cycles and there is no history of cancer in my side of the family.

Humm... I think if it were my dd, I'd explore everything else first (even diet & exercise can effect a womans monthly cycle). That being said, I was one of those who started the pill at 16. My headaches pre-pill were out of control, my cycle & cramping were keeping me out of school. Once I started the pill, my skin cleared up, my headaches were very under control, I had no cramping & my period was 2 days long. I went off the pill twice in my life, both times I conceived within 2 months. I have 4 children all together and now even with my tubes tied, I wish I could take the pill for the reasons above. Bottom line, I'd try other things first but not rule out the pill.

She'll be 16 in less than a month.

I have no idea what the age is for that. I was just throwing stuff out there. I wasn't regular for years and years, much like your daughter. Probably, until I was in my very early 20s...then I was like clockwork.

Annnnd that's as personal as I've ever gotten on a message board not related to childbirth. :blushing:

Thank you for your replies. I'm pretty hesitant to start her on the pill.

I'm comfortable with my choice of not being on the pill because of my concerns about the health risks and because I don't consider it very difficult having irregular periods. But I don't want to override her concerns and feelings. She doesn't like not knowing when her cycle will start. I can usually feel mine coming on so I have a little bit of warning, but she says she has no warning at all. She also says her cycles start very heavy and are painful.

She will be 16 in just a few short weeks, and I want her to feel comfortable with whatever decision comes about. I don't want to run roughshod over her feelings and make the decision for her, but I don't know if I'm ready to let her completely decide for herself. I do think she wants to start on the pill.

She does know about my concerns. Right now we're planning to listen to what the OB/GYN doctor/nurse says and go from there. But my previous experience with military doctors/nurses is generally the quick fix of "get on the pill." So I need to have a plan before I go. Do we say, "Sure! Sounds great!" or do we say, "We need some more information"?

Plus I need to prepare her for an exam. I'm also wondering if they'll do any blood work to check hormone levels or anything.

Thanks again for listening to me and trying to help. Oh, the PCOS, I don't have that. If I remember correctly, when they tested me years ago, they said I'm anovulatory because of low estrogen. That's why when I read about the link between high estrogen and breast cancer, I figured why get on the pill and put more estrogen in my body when that increases my chances of breast cancer? Wouldn't low estrogen be a good thing?

So, thanks again for all the responses. I appreciate it.

Edited by Apiphobic

FWIW, when I had deep vein thrombosis (life threatening blood clots) in my last pregnancy, I did a lot of surfing on message boards to see if I could get some advice on how to deal with it. I was alarmed by how many young women (teenagers and early 20's) I saw who had gotten dvt after going on the pill. Some of these were healthy athletic women (competitive runners) whose lives were totally changed because of it. I had never heard of the pill increasing risk of dvt before, but it does make sense as my dvt was caused by hormone changes from the pregnancy. I don't know any studies, and I'm sure the risk varies depending on the type of pill, but it is something I would want to look into if one of my daughters were looking at going on the pill.

I have always had irregular cycles - okay, until I hit my late 30s, then they suddenly got normal. Anyway, when I was younger, it was usually 2 - 2 1/2 months for "normal" and sometimes 3 or more now and then. The first couple years it was 4-6 months.

I remember my doctor later on saying it's just sort of what is normal for my body. Of course, this was when I was married and trying to conceive (never thought to ask a doctor before) so the pill was not given as an option. I did not have severe pain, cramps or other problems so I never worried much about it and actually considered it kind of a blessing.

Personally, since hers are painful, I'd try larger doses of Evening Primrose because it can help with that. I would suggest the book someone mentioned above so she gets an idea of how to watch for signs. If she can start to tell where she's at in a cycle, she may be able to tell when she should start the evening primrose or other options she's come up with.

As for heavy, that could be a perception issue or it could be accurate. That would be another reason for some research, so she is aware of what is considered a problem and what is normal for her.

My dd did not become regular until a couple months before her 18th birthday. I read that drinking raspberry tea helps with regularity, so I had her start drinking a raspberry tea made by Traditional Medicinals and she started becoming more regular. Then she would forget to drink the tea for a while and become irregular. She was convinced that it helps so drinks a cup daily and now her cycles are like clockwork. For both of us the first 2 days are horrid and heavy. I know that for some of my friends bc pills have really lessoned the severity of their periods. They didn't help me, infact when I tried the pill when I was in my early 20's it actually made me feel naseous and grumpy (kind of like when I am pregnant). :glare: My dh said, "oh, now I understand how bc pills work. They make you so witchy that I don't want to come near you!" I decided to try diet and exercise to alleviate the pain on the first 2 days.

-Ann

P.S. Sometimes teen girls want to go on bc because they have heard that it helps clear their acne. (my dd did not request this, but some of my friends told me that their dd were doing this). So, I asked the doctor prescribe my dd a antibacterial cream to address her acne before it became a bigger issue.

Like the others, I would do anything else I could first, but irregularity is something that can really be waited out. I know that can be hard with our culture and wanting an instant fix to everything.

As far as long term effects, I really do not trust the pill. There is too much of a vested interest by the pharmaceutical companies to reveal or seriously study long and short term effects.

If it were me, I would consider seeing a naturopath or a holistic MD, and/or waiting it out.

I wouldn't simply because you would not be addressing the underlying issue that is causing her to have heavy, irregular, painful periods.

I had all this and was diagnosed with endometriosis. I had surgery to remove it three years ago and have just found out this week that it has returned and that I have a cyst in the wall of my uterus. So surgery is likely t be happening again soon. Endo can be managed through diet and exercise.

I would strongly recommend having a chat to a gyne if possible to see if there is somethhing that should be checked out before you go covering up the symptoms with the Pill.

Sometimes these sorts of issues can be fixed up with chiropractics. Having been on the pill, I'd try anything else first!

Rosie

I would try anything else, too.

I was put on the pill as a teenager by a well meaning doctor. I did not enjoy the experience.

I would go and see a natural therapist of some kind....chiropractor, chinese medical practitioner, naturopath, herbalist.

Truth is, the doctors don't have a clue, and they aren't educated in health, they are educated to get rid of unpleasant symptoms. So they might get rid of your dd's irregular cycle temporarily, but they are masking an underlying condition, and they are possibly causing more problems.

FWIW I have had irregular cycles all my life. I would encourage your dd to get more in tune with her body, appreciate it, care for it, rather than just try and do a quick fix to get rid of a condition that is really not such a big deal, although it can seem like one at 15 I am sure.

On the other hand, if thats what she wants to do, she can do it and you could feed her moe information and take her to a naturopath or someone as well, to see if something is out of balance.

Doctors treat our bodies like machines. It is not such a nice way to treat your own body.

I have also heard that prolonged use of the pill can make it difficult to conceive later. Here is a link that discusses this a bit. And the other health stuff concerned me too which is one reason why I went off it after a couple years. I always get freaked out when the commercials for the pill talk about all of the increased risks - stroke, blood clots, sudden death....etc.

I wish I had more to add....I hope that you get the information you need to make a good decision. :grouphug:

I am just a sample size of one, but... I was on the ancient Ortho-Novum 1/80 (the original one from the 1960s) from age 15 until the month before I conceived my child nine years later.

I was on it to help control cystic acne.

I think some people just don't have problems with hormonal birth control.

asta

Thanks again for listening to me and trying to help. Oh, the PCOS, I don't have that. If I remember correctly, when they tested me years ago, they said I'm anovulatory because of low estrogen. That's why when I read about the link between high estrogen and breast cancer, I figured why get on the pill and put more estrogen in my body when that increases my chances of breast cancer? Wouldn't low estrogen be a good thing?

Because you have "something", i'd be sure demanding a full blood workup before just accepting putting her on the pill.

The years i was on the pill were horrid for me, and I won't go back on it.

I hope you can find the root cause (if there is one) and work out a solution that works for her.

:grouphug:

Is there a reason that irregular cycles need treatment? Mine have always been irregular and it never occurred to me that it was a problem. The only time it was an issue was when we were trying to time intercourse in order to be more sure of conceiving. I wear a panty-liner, so that I don't have any messiness problems.

Best wishes

Laura

I have only read the first response, but I will say that I agree with cathmom. Drs first option is the pill instead of looking at other options being diet, supplements and exercise.

Also, since working in a dr office, I've noticed a high correlation of teenagers on the pill and then being put on anti-depressants. That might be something else you would want to consider before starting them (if that's what you choose to do.)

Well, at 16, I would let my dd have a lot of input into the decision. I agree that there should be every effort made to find out if there is a underlying cause of her issues. I'd also keep in mind that there are other reasons a 16 year old would want to start the pill. Not that she is thinking of becoming sexually active right now- I started on the pill at 16 and wasn't sexually active until I was over 18. But it is something young women think about, and as a mother I will try to be sensitive to that when my dd is that age.

Are there health concerns underlying the irregular cycles? Or is it mainly a convenience issue?

If irregular cycles do not contribute to health problems themselves, I'd leave her off the pill. I wouldn't want to take on the potential health risks of the pill, without them being balanced or overridden by the risks of not taking the pill.

I second the suggestions of chiropractic, and also suggest that you look into vitex and red raspberry tea. I don't know that they'll help, but they're good for very gently regulating the uterus. OTOH, vitex can enhance fertility, so take that into account.

I was on the pill early on, too; got off it to start having babies, and found I just could not face it again when we were done having babies. Ugh.

I would definitely NOT use the pill..(coming from a former pharmaceutical representative) especially in a teen whose hormones are not regulated by any means. I have always had irregular menses...not an issue as someone mentioned above...it's just life...mine now are more regularly irregular...meaning they last 7 full days and happen every 19-20 days...so you can guess I'm a bit anemic but I try to eat iron rich foods during that time.

I firmly believe that our society takes way too many prescriptions....and that they're not fully realizing or giving our bodies credit for the amazing creation they are...they can handle most things and sometimes there is a reason for irregular periods that need to be explored rather than hidden through birth control pills.

Tara

I second the suggestions of chiropractic, and also suggest that you look into vitex and red raspberry tea. I don't know that they'll help, but they're good for very gently regulating the uterus. OTOH, vitex can enhance fertility, so take that into account.

I had forgotten about vitex- chaste tree berry. It helps regulate the menstrual cycle too. It helped mine go from months apart to much more regular- a big improvement, although it doesn't take much for mine to become irregular again.

I have considered what I would do if my daughter has problems and I would probably use vitex and EPO.

When I was on the pill for the first two after our marriage, it was awful. It was like I had a personality change -- but not for the better. I wasn't myself, and I still feel to this day that I wasted two years of my life and marriage.

Needless to say, I wouldn't do it.

when I was about 16.

Pros:

- Very light period, no embarrassing incidents in high school

- had more energy and was not down for 5 days a month

- cramping all but disappeared

- cleared up acne

- didn't gain weight or bloat on it (I was on Lo-estren FE)

Cons:

- made me nauseous the first few weeks I was on it

- lack of desire (this is a plus for high school, not so much married life..)

- I met a woman who had a blood clot on the pill. She has diabetes and hypertension in her family - so YMMV.

I stayed on it until we decided to get pregnant (10+ years). I felt terrible off of it (welcome back heavy periods & cramping) and I took about 8 months to get pregnant after being on the pill. However my desire increased dramatically (insert dh jumping up and down).

I would have a copy of "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" on hand. I wish my gyn would have given it to me. I learned so much from that book about how my body works, etc. Perhaps your dd can read it herself and make the decision for herself.

hth,

K

You mentioned that one of the reasons she wants to start on the pill is because she doesn't know when she is going to start her cycle. I just wanted to second the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. After reading this book, I have never been surprised by a period, even if it is early or late. I wish I had read this book when I was younger - I was in the dark about so much that was happening in my body.

I had forgotten about vitex- chaste tree berry. It helps regulate the menstrual cycle too. It helped mine go from months apart to much more regular- a big improvement, although it doesn't take much for mine to become irregular again.

I have considered what I would do if my daughter has problems and I would probably use vitex and EPO.

:iagree: I forgot about this, it is amazing.

I've had a horrible time with the pill.

The first pill made me throw up constantly...like every 15-30 minutes I was running to the bathroom. I was working at a restaurant to support myself at the time. It wasn't good for my job.

The second pill made me have heavy break through bleeding every day.

The third pill gave me severe acne and I've never had problems with acne before or since. It left me with scars.

The fourth pill worked for a while but it's effectiveness wore off and all of my symptoms came back.

I just put up with my cycle the best I can without them now. I wish I could find a doctor to help me with my symptoms without trying to give me birth control.

Thank you all. You've been very helpful. I feel like I should respond to each one of you, because I don't want anyone to feel left out. I do appreciate every single response, but I'm just going to wing it here and hope I remember everything I wanted to say.

Amy in Orlando, no, she's not overly thin or anything.

Kanga, I read with interest about the acne. I did not know this, and I don't know if she's ever heard about this. She thinks she has too many breakouts, but I don't think it's as bad as she feels. I'll have to ask her if she's ever heard anything about the pill helping acne.

Several of you responded with suggestions about seeing a chiropractor, naturopath, holistic MD or other natural therapist. We're new to the area so I'm not sure what's available. And I'm pretty sure that none of that would be covered by our health insurance. The military is very particular about whom you are allowed to see and the kinds of procedures/services they will cover. So it would be out-of-pocket, and I have no idea what kind of expenses that would entail. I've been a military dependent all my life and remember when I went away to college being just flabbergasted at the cost of prescription meds when I got pneumonia. Ouch!

If it were up to me, we would wait and see if her cycles changed. I've always been fine with my own irregular cycles. But every time I go in for an appt, one of the routine questions is when was the first day of your last menstrual period? And when they find out it was 4 or 6 months ago, their eyebrows go up and they ask for more details. I explain the anovulatory stuff and then they say I shouldn't go for longer than 3-4 months without a cycle so I should come in for some progesterone pills or whatever to start the cycle. And then helpfully suggest that I get on the pill to correct that condition.

So dd recently went in because she needed a referral to an ENT. Standard question: first day of your LMP. What? You should really get in to get that taken care of, you know.

Dd and I had a discussion this morning and decided to wait on the appointment. We're both going to read Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I've heard that book recommended several times before, so even if she does eventually get on the pill we'll still more than likely get a lot out of it.

I'd also like to know more about this red raspberry tea, vitex, and evening primrose. I'm assuming the tea is a hot tea and not the bottled flavored sweetened tea. ;)

Where do you get these products, and how long have you been using them? What else can I read about natural homeopathic treatment?

Thank you again for all your help.

P.S. I was fortunate when I was on the pill because I didn't have any side effects or problems with it.

Don't do it. It is one of the biggest regrets of my life. I was just like your dd...very very irregular cycles...up to 9 months between...heavy at times...that sort of thing. I got on the pill when I married at 18 and stayed on them until I was 32 and TTC. I stayed very regular after ds was born (after 8 months when it returned) for about 5 years...now I'm irregular again. Sure it can be a pain to be irregular..but I will NEVER again put a hormone in my body. My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer after 10-12 years of hormones...they say the pill is different but I can't believe it is that much different.

Just please don't. I think she could benefit from some natural supplements and diet additions /changes,,,but I do not believe she needs to be on the pill.

Dd and I had a discussion this morning and decided to wait on the appointment. We're both going to read Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I've heard that book recommended several times before, so even if she does eventually get on the pill we'll still more than likely get a lot out of it.

I'd also like to know more about this red raspberry tea, vitex, and evening primrose. I'm assuming the tea is a hot tea and not the bottled flavored sweetened tea. ;)

Where do you get these products, and how long have you been using them? What else can I read about natural homeopathic treatment?

I am so glad that you will try Taking Charge of your Fertility. Even with a completely erratic cycle, you can know WHEN you will start by using the principles in that book. Second, it will help determine if there is an underlying cause to the erratic cycle.

As for red raspberry leaf- I would buy bulk Red Raspberry leaf from Mountain Rose Herbs. All of their herbs are organic and super high quality. I order all of mine from them. You can get a tea strainer from them too so you pour 1 cup of almost boiling water over 1tsp of the dry herbs, cover, let steep 20 minutes and then strain and drink. You can sweeten with honey or add some lemon, or peppermint in the last 5 minutes if you want. Red raspberry leaf helps with regularity, but it also helps with painful menses. Also, I personally have used Dr. Christopher's Hormonal Changease WITH wheat germ oil. The body needs essential fatty acids in order to build hormones, so this is where the wheat germ oil or the evening primrose oil come into play. The Hormonal Changease gives the body the building blocks for the hormones to create what is needed. Also, pay attention to the pituitary. If the pituitary is not functioning correctly, then the hormones won't be made. I have used Dr. Christopher's Master Gland formula to help with that before- or you can add some carrot tops to green smoothies. You can buy the Dr. Christopher's here. He has good prices too. Dr. Christopher's herbs are extremely high quality. Everything is still hand produced and they don't use ANY fillers of any kind.

i wouldn't even consider it. instead, i'd figure out the hormonal issues behind it. infrequent cycling is not in an of itself, a bad thing.

but if it's part of PCOS or another set of issues that can be damaging over the long haul, I'd want to know about *the issue* rather than not.

PCOS is the most common cause. It can be managed very well with diet, sufficient vitamin d and other nutritional/supplemental interventions.

http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/pcosinfo.html

other issues can sneak in under the radar with CPOS as well....

_The Savvy Woman's Guide to PCOS_ is one of the best books on the subject

all the best,

Katherine

from the older formulations. And the side effect profile can be extremely different from one formulation to another. You really have to research each individual type of pill depending on what you are trying to manage and what side effects you are trying to avoid or are willing to put up with. I am currently on a low dosage pill and I am very happy with it.

Pros:

Cycles are regular and light

No pain

moods are more even

clear skin

firmer, fuller books

Con:

lower libido (as someone else mentioned, this is not neccesarily a problem for a teen but definitely for married life)

I have one teen who take Yaz and she is very happy with it as well.

Here are two links to websites that allow you to compare different pills:

http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm - BCP

http://www.fpnotebook.com/GYN99.htm - BCP

I would also recommend the book Screaming to be Heard . It is a huge book but you can just read the sections that are useful to you. I actually own this one as I refer to it frequently but you can probably get it at the library. Here is a link to it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Screaming-Heard-Hormonal-Connections-Suspect/dp/0871319144/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224702582&sr=8-1

I would definitely take into consideration your dd's feelings on this. Also the exam is not as big a concern as you would think. My teen who just had this done recently thought it was no big deal and this is a child I haven't seen naked since she was about 9 and she doesn't like dr.s either.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

So very much good advice and valuable experiences on here already.....

The only thing I feel left to say is keep in mind that clinical trials for any medication are not done on juveniles. The true safety and or efficacy of a drug (what you read on the label for example) have only been proven (or not) in adult populations. Because of safety laws and such, medicational testing cannot be done on children; even tylenol and t he like.

We are still a few years away from issues as these, but I much appreciate the foresight I get from conversations such as this.

Emerald

• 9 months later...
I would try really good vitamins and supplements first.
I agree. Plus, trying to remember to take a pill at her young age might be tough and she may end up not taking them properly thus not getting the benefits you are wanting to achieve.

And, fwiw, I was on BC pills from the age of 15 to the age of 37. I went off when pregnant each time but usually went back on within a month or so. I wish I had never taken them. They are not good for our bodies and no telling what I did to myself long term. I also have suffered from depression off and on over the years and I feel certain the pill contributed to that.

I always had extremely irregular periods - sometimes maybe only two a year. I did go on bc pills when I was 18 and in college to regulate my cycles. Quit taking them not long after college and went right back to the same patterns. When I got married at 27, I talked about it all with my current OB/GYN and he is the only one that ever bothered to ask the question, "Why is it like this?". Turns out I do have mild PCOS which was the problem all along and caused quite a few fertility headaches. He went on to tell me that the years I spent on bc pills probably preserved the fertility that I did have because it can be damaging to not bleed at least every few months. He said that not bleeding actually increases your risk for uterine cancer because things are not being flushed out as they should.

For a 16 year old, I am not sure I would jump to bc pills as my first line of defense and I do think I would look to dietary causes first (knowing what I know now).

He went on to tell me that the years I spent on bc pills probably preserved the fertility that I did have because it can be damaging to not bleed at least every few months. He said that not bleeding actually increases your risk for uterine cancer because things are not being flushed out as they should.

I don't think this is exactly accurate. I read not too long ago a fascinating article linked by someone on here about the inventor of the pill, who was trying to mimic "normal" monthly cycles with his interplay of hormones, and with the stopping of the pill once a month so that the woman menstrated every month without ovulating. But then all these cancer rates rose in developed nations where women use the pill, but not in more third-world nations where women have a bunch of babies and nurse for awhile in between, only having a few periods from the time they are 18 until menopause. The gist of the article (I REALLY wish I had saved that link--does anyone remember reading it?!) was that stopping the pill (to have a period) is not normal at all, and women have way too many cycles (over 400 per lifetime I think the article said), and that was way to much hormone coming and going. It is actually healthy to not bleed every month, and to not have all those hormones interacting, and that is why many doctors are recommending that women just take the pill continually, only stopping to have a period maybe 4 times a year.

Or not, LOL. I hope I am remembering the article correctly! And I actually am not in favor of starting the pill, either--I just don't think it is unhealthy to not bleed every month!

When my dd was 13 we made the difficult decision to put her on it for 4-5 months. We had tried other things, and her cycle was coming every 1-2 weeks. She was extremely anemic and the doctor felt it was dangerous for her to continue having this issue. We didn't like it but she was on a low dose for a short time. It did make her very moody though, and we were very glad when she got off. We don't regret the decision, but I wouldn't have done it just to make her regular.

Veronica