Menu

S/O tipping at Sonic

bettyandbob

This must depend on the location. mybsister and I both worked at Sonic through high school and they paid minimum wage. Add to that the fact that some people tipped like a restaurant and most at least left the change to make an even dollar, and we made really good money.

I never felt entitled to the tips, though, because we really didn't do much more than a McDonald's cashier.

I don't tip at Sonic.

• Like 2

I decided I wouldn't go back because it seems wrong to me. Employees have taxes based on federal minimum wage, but employers are paying significantly less and it's really fast food, not a restaurant that relies heavily on "service."

This thing about the taxes is a common misconception that some servers like to propagate. You do not get taxes on more than you make. ever. Evem at a regular restaurant like Olive Garden.

Every day you have to fill out a form saying how much you made in tips. That way the employer can withhold taxes and SS on that amount. But if for some reason your average for a pay period ends up less than minimum wage, the employer is legally required to make up the difference.

No one pays taxes on minimum wage but gets paid less. Tips are legally considered income, so you have to pay taxes on them, even though a lot of servers under-report their tips to get out of the taxes.

• Like 6

How is one supposed to know if at a certain location Sonic car hops get minimum wage or if they are being paid an average of $6.20/hour while taxed on minimum wage. (I got that rate from glass door).

I have to assume the whole chain is suspect and not contribute to profits unless there is a way to distinguish locations.

That $6.20/hr is based on what the employees SAY they make, not what they actually make.

Is Sonic refuting that they pay under minimum wage. I've found articles saying they pay less than minimum, but no place where Sonic is quoted saying what they actually pay or where Sonics refutes that they pay under minimum. I would assume a business would want to refute paying less than minimum wage if they could, since it makes them look bad.

Since Sonic's isn't refuting that they pay under minimum and there's no way to distinguish locations I have to assume all employees are getting a bad deal.

We only went to Sonic one time because my kids got free stuff for the summer reading program. Our Sonic closed down last year; apparently no one else ever went there! There is one in the next town over, but we've never been. I guess I won't start going. I don't know how you'd know if they were tipped or not (especially if they don't have a line on cc receipts to tip).

We always tip at Sonic. Here they're friendly, your order is usually correct, and they will bring it to your car as well as get you anything else you need so I have no issue giving them a few bucks. It's not quite the same as handing it out a window. Plus the kids think it's cool watching them zip around on roller blades. :)

I was at Sonic just yesterday afternoon. We go frequently. (Well, more frequently when we used to live within walking distance of one. Now we have to drive 2 hours to go to the closest one.)

Anyway....

We always tip unless we use the drive-thru.

Edited by Kinsa

We always tip at Sonic. Here they're friendly, your order is usually correct, and they will bring it to your car as well as get you anything else you need so I have no issue giving them a few bucks. It's not quite the same as handing it out a window. Plus the kids think it's cool watching them zip around on roller blades. :)

I worked at sonic in high school. We were paid minimum wage, and had nothing to do with the correctness of the order as a carhop. Another employee filled up the tray with the order and my job was to carry it out to them. That's was it. I did make decent money in tips there, but I don't tip.

• Like 1

I usually use the little pull in spots at Sonic instead of the drive up, and I try to tip. Half price drinks and slushes is a great deal for a large family and makes nice treats on hot days. And not having to get everyone out of the car is always good IMO. They're generally friendly and sweet too.

• Like 1

DD has a friend who works at the local Sonic. After she started, we were all told (by her parents) about tipping. None of us knew you were supposed to tip the carhop. Learn something new everyday.

The drive through is the quickest service. If you pull in to one of the side spots, it'll take at least 20 minutes to get your order to you. They almost always get something wrong or forget something. The manager lives up the street from me and isn't the nicest employer to work for.

We try not to go much, but I now balance how yucky it would be to work for the manager with how badly the order is messed up when determining how much to tip. We also don't go unless we have at least 30 minutes to burn since it takes forever to get your (original, messed up) order.

It is also the hotbed of the local high school gossip. Another reason not to go!

I'm surprised that people don't know to tip at Sonic. I've just always known, I guess. Isn't it written in the cosmos or something? One of the laws of the universe, like gravity or something? LOL

Edited by Kinsa

I've only been to Sonic twice.  Once we walked in and got it to go, the other time I went through the drive through.  I would never have considered tipping in either of those instances.  I've never done the car hop thing but if I had I would probably leave a small tip but not the same percentage as i would a sit down restaurant.

This thing about the taxes is a common misconception that some servers like to propagate. You do not get taxes on more than you make. ever. Evem at a regular restaurant like Olive Garden.

Every day you have to fill out a form saying how much you made in tips. That way the employer can withhold taxes and SS on that amount. But if for some reason your average for a pay period ends up less than minimum wage, the employer is legally required to make up the difference.

No one pays taxes on minimum wage but gets paid less. Tips are legally considered income, so you have to pay taxes on them, even though a lot of servers under-report their tips to get out of the taxes.

This may be the law but I know some people aren't complying with it. When I was a server waaay back in high school (in the 90s) our employer filed as if they were paying us minimum wage but we were getting significantly less (like $2.50/hr). But with tips we ended up making more almost always. The first day I was at this one job, the woman who was training me said to keep track of tips and let them know if we make a different amount than minimum wage. I think she was supposed to tell me this (and she didn't explain it very well) but no one ever did and no one ever mentioned it to me again. I was just a teenager and I didn't know any different.

Until I learned differently I thought of Sonic like a glorified drive-thru and never tipped.  Now I tip.  If I don't have cash for a tip then I try not to stop even for the credit card machine.  Some Sonics do allow tips on credit cards, though most don't.  I've heard they plan to move away from tipping and will raise the basic pay, but not sure if that is just rumor or will truly happen.

Carhops at Sonic are not paid minimum wage; they are paid server wage, just like your server at Olive Garden, somewhere around $2-3/hour, plus an extra $1/hour if they wear skates. They need to be tipped, even though the credit card payment system does not allow for tipping.

I learned that some people tipped at Sonic after I had been going there for a very long time. I worried about it a little, but then they came in with the card scanners that had no place for a tip. I routinely tip at restaurants, but I don't go out of my way to do so. I don't tip at Sonic and I don't add to a tip already added to my bill at 18% even though I otherwise would tip at least 20%.

Well, a bunch of you are saying they're paid minimum wage and a bunch of you are saying they aren't.  So who's right?

I don't tip and never thought I was supposed to and I don't carry cash of any kind, not even spare change.  I mean, if one doesn't carry cash, then one never is given change, so one never has spare change.  

I have my Aldi-cart quarter but that's it.  Oh, I do keep about 10 quarters in the car in case I have to park at a meter unexpectedly.  I never touch the meter-quarters.

This is a pickle.  What to do, what to do?  I go to Sonic twice a month before I do my twice-monthly grocery shopping.  

Edited by Garga

Saturday I will be stopping at Sonic for a sugar-free slush with pop-rocks added.  (I justify the pop-rocks because it's sugar-free.) I blame you ladies for this!  :) 

My kids, however, will think you are awesome because they love Sonic.

I will make sure i have some cash for tipping.  

Saturday I will be stopping at Sonic for a sugar-free slush with pop-rocks added.  (I justify the pop-rocks because it's sugar-free.) I blame you ladies for this!   :)

My kids, however, will think you are awesome because they love Sonic.

I will make sure i have some cash for tipping.  

I have terrible news for you. There is no such thing as a sugar-free slush at sonic. All of their slushes are made with their sugar/ice slush base.

I have terrible news for you. There is no such thing as a sugar-free slush at sonic. All of their slushes are made with their sugar/ice slush base.

I thought they had a diet cherry or sugar free cherry or some such thing?? Ha! No wonder it tastes so good.  Surely I'm saving 10 calories by choosing the diet over regular??   :laugh:

I thought they had a diet cherry or sugar free cherry or some such thing?? Ha! No wonder it tastes so good.  Surely I'm saving 10 calories by choosing the diet over regular??   :laugh:

Yep, saving 10 calories. They have sugar-free cherry flavoring, but all the slushes are made with their sugar/ice slush base.

• Like 1

Did you know that Sonic employees are considered tipped employees and are paid less than minimum wage.

I've only been to Sonic a couple times. Franchises are not common in my area. The credit card machines are not set up for tipping and there's no top line on the print out.

Not in my state, this is not allowed. No one is allowed to be paid less than minimum wage, not even tipped employees.

• Like 1

I've always been foggy on this. Dh's sister used to work at one. She would skate to the cars. He is unimpressed with most of the employees as they walk to the cars lol. We did spot a guy on skates recently and I was shocked. I don't know if I had ever seen a Sonic employee on skates.

They are really bad about customer service around here. They don't offer you condiments and then when you ask they don't have them on the tray or in their apron so they go back inside. Sometimes they take forever or forget about you. One time we went to redeem a free cone that ds earned. I asked about the coupon at the speaker. They took it at my car and said they'd ask the manager about it. I thought they were going to return to say, "this is fine" or whatever. But they never came back!! I finally hit the button to speak to them and they said everything was fine. No, "Sorry, we didn't know you were waiting outside" or anything.

At least one of the Sonics around here has updated order screens now so you can see the order. I have been to a couple where aside from parking there is an actual drive-thru. I think they might still bring the food to your car by exiting the door and walking it to you, though. I don't remember if there's a window where they pass it to you. Well, I can't imagine how that would work for tipping. Do you tip if you park but not if you drive through? What's the difference?

:iagree:  Same here. . :)

The one I found really weird was our local coffee shop.  I'm hearing now that apparently they are paid servers wages - neither I or most of the people I know have ever thought to tip the people making our coffee!!!  I thought that was really weird/unusual.  And unfortunate.

Oh, well, I don't go there because the coffee sucks, anyway.  :P  :lol:

I live in a state where there is not a lower minimum wage for servers and tipped workers.

I don't think I've ever tipped at Sonic but I also don't think their point of sale system gives us the option to tip. We don't go very often. There are none in our area. But every so often we stop there for drinks on a road trip.