Menu

Sprite is Lemonade?

KungFuPanda

Can you share a recipe? These sound yummy.

This is the recipe I use with the aforementioned tweak of separating the eggs, adding the yolks to the blender with the rest of the ingredients, and beating the whites to stiff peaks and folding them in at the end.

Oops, here's the link. :lol:

http://againstallgrain.com/2012/06/21/grain-free-waffles/

Another ETA: I couldn't find raw cashews today and roasted, unsalted ones worked fine.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 2

I can't keep up. We've moved on to flapjacks and pinafores, but I felt the need to jump in and say that I am a Brit married to an American. My mother and grandmothers were superb bakers. No one in my family has ever made a scone with an egg in it. A plain scone and an American biscuit are the same thing. They are even the same shape (round) though more often cut with a fluted rather than a smooth circle cutter in the UK. Until I lived in America I had never heard of a scone with fresh fruit in, or seen a scone with frosting on. A fruit scone in the UK traditionally has sultanas or raisins in it. And is eaten with butter.

• Like 6

m

No pancakes are pancakes. Runny batter that is poured into a pan. Eaten with a fork.

Flapjacks are risen bread dough, stretched out and dropped into 1/2 of hot oil to fry (like 1/2 deep fried). Finger food. It's kind if like a doughnut.

mind. blown.  i thought a flapjack was a kind of pancake too

• Like 1

m

No pancakes are pancakes. Runny batter that is poured into a pan. Eaten with a fork.

Flapjacks are risen bread dough, stretched out and dropped into 1/2 of hot oil to fry (like 1/2 deep fried). Finger food. It's kind if like a doughnut.

I think your version might be very regional. I just did some searching, and the only real variation I can find on flapjacks is that they used to be made of corn or buckwheat. I didn't find any yeast-based or doughnut-like versions.

ETA: OK, I just did when I searched for "yeast-based flapjacks," and boy do I want to make some now :lol: But if I search for "what are flapjacks" i get no yeast. Where is that common, I wonder?

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 2

No one in my family has ever made a scone with an egg in it. A plain scone and an American biscuit are the same thing. They are even the same shape (round) though more often cut with a fluted rather than a smooth circle cutter in the UK. Until I lived in America I had never heard of a scone with fresh fruit in, or seen a scone with frosting on. A fruit scone in the UK traditionally has sultanas or raisins in it. And is eaten with butter.

I'm intending to make some with sweet potato in them for dinner. Possibly with served with asparagus. Not because that is traditional, but because it's Sunday and we didn't get to the shop before it closed.

(I seem to have ingredients for sweet potato scones, a bunch of asparagus and some left over sauerkraut. It's not going to be the best dinner we've ever had…)

No, hang on, here in the U.S., a pinafore is a little girl's garment that is kind of similar to a full apron, no sleeves, and buttons in the back. Often, but not always, worn over a dress. Except they have been out of common use so long that hardly anyone knows that anymore. Here are a couple I made for my girls when they were littler:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxnang3cs3bbmkn/2015-07-26%2018.19.42.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/szg38i1vyqzlwq7/2015-07-26%2018.18.58.jpg?dl=0

(ETA: It is also gathered for a fuller skirt. Distinct from a jumper, which does not open at the back and hangs straight all the way down from the shoulders, and is generally made of heavier material.)

Edited by La Condessa
  • Like 3

I'm intending to make some with sweet potato in them for dinner. Possibly with served with asparagus. Not because that is traditional, but because it's Sunday and we didn't get to the shop before it closed.

(I seem to have ingredients for sweet potato scones, a bunch of asparagus and some left over sauerkraut. It's not going to be the best dinner we've ever had…)

Appears nutritionally sound to me!

• Like 3

No, hang on, here in the U.S., a pinafore is a little girl's garment that is kind of similar to a full apron, no sleeves, and buttons in the back. Often, but not always, worn over a dress. Except they have been out of common use so long that hardly anyone knows that anymore. Here are a couple I made for my girls when they were littler:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxnang3cs3bbmkn/2015-07-26%2018.19.42.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/szg38i1vyqzlwq7/2015-07-26%2018.18.58.jpg?dl=0

(ETA: It is also gathered for a fuller skirt. Distinct from a jumper, which does not open at the back and hangs straight all the way down from the shoulders, and is generally made of heavier material.)

Pinafore in Britain:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/traditional-pinafore-with-permanent-pleats-with-stormwear-/p/p22226524?prevPage=srp

http://www.marksandspencer.com/pinafore-fit-and-flare-dress/p/p22496984?image=SD_01_T42_3340_Y0_X_EC_90&color=BLACK&prevPage=srp

http://www.marksandspencer.com/petite-button-pinafore-shift-dress/p/p22469453?image=SD_01_T59_7030X_Y0_X_EC_90&color=BLACK&prevPage=srp

Jumper in Britain:

http://www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-knitwear?categories=44,535&availability=1&viewby=Styles&sort=StaffFavourite&viewtype=large&page=1

• Like 2

it's fun isn't it?

Fascinating that there are common foods with different names, and common names used for entirely different foods, in different locations.

Makes me want to learn the history behind each variation.

For flapjack, maybe availability of grains?  Flapjacks that are a bit like granola bars are common in Scotland, where oats grow better than wheat.

Pinafore: when I was small it was called a pinafore dress in Britain, so perhaps it developed from the apron that a pp posted, but this is the dress version with a closed back.

Jumper comes from Arabic.  I had no idea:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/jumper

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

Ok, aussie here :)
Soft drink is what we call all sweet fizzy drinks (not soda water though).
Lemonade is a type of soft drink, is is generally a fairly neutral flavour and not lemony and certainly not limey. Sprite is a brand name of a type of lemonade. Sprite does not taste of lemons or limes.
Different soft drinks are called by their brand name Coke, Fanta (orange) or by their flavours for such as lime soft drink, orange soft drink, cola etc.

Lemony soft drinks are generally called lemon squash or pub soda. These are NOT lemonade.

Home made lemonade is lemon juice, water and sugar. It is very different to soft drink and it is not "lemonade", it is more like a home made lemon cordial.

Cordial is a sweet syrup, normally fruit flavoured and very sweet that you add to flavour water. It is not alcoholic.

Scones are made with self raising flour, butter and milk. They are cut into circles. They can be sweet or savory but traditional scones are just flour, butter and milk.

See the post 2 up from here, those pics linked for a pinafore and a jumper (for Britain) are the same as for here.

• Like 2

Oh and I have absolutely no idea what on earth root beer is. I always assumed it was like ginger beer but this thread has told me otherwise. If it is indeed "cherry" flavour as some seem to indicate then that would taste like medicine and it not something I would enjoy at all, yuck!

• Like 1

I recently learned that if you want thick pancakes that you pour the batter into the pan and wait for it to semi cook, then you poor more batter on top of the semi cooked batter. That way, the batter won't continue to spread the second time you pour, so you'll have thick pancakes. You don't let it cook too long, but long enough so that when you pour on more, it doesn't spread in the pan anymore.

Those were some good pancakes. I have a friend who (unlike me) loves to cook and I'm always learning things like that from her.

• Like 3

it's fun isn't it?

Fascinating that there are common foods with different names, and common names used for entirely different foods, in different locations.

Makes me want to learn the history behind each variation.

I always had a notion that the book I would love to read (or perhaps write) would be a book called The History of Food. Describing all these sorts of things, and how/why certain foods are staples in one location and unheard of in another. Also, who decided to eat certain things and how they decided upon how to prepare it for cooking. Although this would admitedly be a very big book.

• Like 4

I can't keep up. We've moved on to flapjacks and pinafores, but I felt the need to jump in and say that I am a Brit married to an American. My mother and grandmothers were superb bakers. No one in my family has ever made a scone with an egg in it. A plain scone and an American biscuit are the same thing. They are even the same shape (round) though more often cut with a fluted rather than a smooth circle cutter in the UK. Until I lived in America I had never heard of a scone with fresh fruit in, or seen a scone with frosting on. A fruit scone in the UK traditionally has sultanas or raisins in it. And is eaten with butter.

Very true! A scone and American biscuit are the same.  But in the United States, if you ask for a scone, you will get a crumbly quick bread, usually accomplished with the addition of eggs.  Biscuits are expected to be flaky, eaten with butter and often with some sort of butter or preserves.   

• Like 1

For those interested in regional variations in language this is a really fun quiz: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

There is also a book based on it: https://www.amazon.com/Speaking-American-Youse-Visual-Guide/dp/0544703391

It's only for different regions of American though....it would be even more interesting to have one for the world. 

• Like 1

I always had a notion that the book I would love to read (or perhaps write) would be a book called The History of Food. Describing all these sorts of things, and how/why certain foods are staples in one location and unheard of in another. Also, who decided to eat certain things and how they decided upon how to prepare it for cooking. Although this would admitedly be a very big book.

There is a great courses set called Food: A Cultural Culinary History

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Having grown up with this definition of the word "jumper," my first exposure to the alternative meaning came when I was reading Bridget Jones' Diary and the book referred to her and Mark Darcy's awful Christmas jumpers. I was absolutely mystified as to why British men would be wearing sleeveless, Christmas-themed dresses. It took me a bit to sort that all out :lol: 

• Like 7

Oh and I have absolutely no idea what on earth root beer is. I always assumed it was like ginger beer but this thread has told me otherwise. If it is indeed "cherry" flavour as some seem to indicate then that would taste like medicine and it not something I would enjoy at all, yuck!

It's not cherry flavor, I think the comparison came up because I mentioned folks in Japan thinking it tasted like medicine and many of our medicines here are cherry flavored.

It's root beer flavored :D a bit minty and spicy, really quite hard to describe. It's such an American staple that we have trouble thinking of the flavor as anything but root beer. It was originally made from the root of the sassafras tree.

• Like 3

As an american I just want to say that I find root beer revolting. The flavor is indescribable. It is not even redeemed by vanilla ice cream.

An egg cream from Brooklyn, however, is a little slice of heaven.

My mother loves coke but HATES root beer. The ultimate goal of every child and grandchild is to switch out her coke for root beer so she makes "the face." The face is worth it, and hard to get since she usually smells the root beer and avoids taking a sip. Dr Pepper works in a pinch.

• Like 1

My mother loves coke but HATES root beer. The ultimate goal of every child and grandchild is to switch out her coke for root beer so she makes "the face." The face is worth it, and hard to get since she usually smells the root beer and avoids taking a sip. Dr Pepper works in a pinch.

😂 Dr. Pepper is my favorite. It in no way resembles root beer. Like your mother, I can smell the root beer and won't take a sip.

• Like 2

This was my top read for the year. :) https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Emu-Black-agriculture-accident-ebook/dp/B00JJAINXI/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=

I am not a big fan of sweet, carbonated beverages (called 'soda' in these parts, except by the real old-school die-hard Bostonians who call it 'tonic').

But, if I must drink a sweet, carbonated beverage, my favorites are root beer and Dr. Pepper.  Not sure what that says about me.  Not a big cola fan, of any variety, although I don't hate it, just don't like it much.  Sprite's okay but a bit sweet (but sounds like in other parts of the world it tastes different?).  Commercial ginger ale is pointless, because it just has artificial flavors.  Give me a real, strong ginger beer (still non-alcoholic) with real ginger in it, though, and that's actually worth drinking.  And I can completely overcome my normal aversion to carbonation in general for the ginger soda at Clover Food Labs, which they make by taking actual fresh-made ginger juice and a bit of sugar and mix it with carbonated water right in front of you.  Then I have died and gone to heaven.  But I loooove ginger.  :001_wub:

And yeah, here lemonade is lemon juice + sugar (or corn syrup if it's commercial) + water, no carbonation, although other fruit juices can be added (strawberry lemonade, mango lemonade).  I was already familiar with various European languages using 'limonade' as a generic term for 'sweet carbonated beverage', but I hadn't realized it was also used elsewhere in English.  Fascinating that Dutch and Flemish disagree on that one. ;)   Cordial I'm also only familiar with from Anne of Green Gables, and yeah, alcoholic.

I thought in the US, a flapjjack was a regular pancake made with buckwheat flour instead of wheat, although now that word is not used much and pancake pretty much is used for those made with any flour.  I'd never heard of the Utah fried-dough variant, and sure enough, a peek at a Britsh dictionary says it's "a chewy biscuit made with rolled oats".  - that one's new on me too.

Note to everybody pointing out that American lemonade is made with lemon juice, water, and sugar: If you do that, the sugar sinks to the bottom. You'll do better if you spend a few minutes first making simple syrup (water and sugar in approximately equal ratios, cooked on the stove without boiling) and then make your lemonade with the syrup instead of the dry sugar.

• Like 2

As an american I just want to say that I find root beer revolting. The flavor is indescribable. It is not even redeemed by vanilla ice cream.

An egg cream from Brooklyn, however, is a little slice of heaven.

What's an egg cream?

That looks interesting!

I really enjoyed this one called The Edible History of Humanity - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0802719910/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482099705&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=edible+history+of+humanity

Bruce Pascoe has a crowd funding thing going at the moment to add a few grasses to their yam daisy trials: https://pozible.com/project/grow-the-seeds-gurandgi-munjie

It's all terribly exciting!

I just use any basic bread dough recipe--flour, water, yeast, and salt. That's the kind my dad used to make--usually when my mom had a big batch of bread dough (ours was always at least 2/3 fresh ground whole wheat) rising and he would pull off a hunk to fry scones for the family. I put about an inch of canola or coconut oil in a frying pan, flatten out a slab of dough with my hands, cook it in one side, flip over, and cook on the other. We usually top ours with honey and eat them hot.

I'm sure there are recipes out there and more specific tried and true cooking methods, but rough-and-ready is what I am used to. Look up "Utah scones" and something is sure to pop up. The only tricky bit in my experience is that the dough has to be quite flat or it won't cook through in the middle.

My family actually got the tradition from my maternal grandmother, who grew up in Idaho (mom grew up in Alaska and Washington state) so I think it is a regional and not just a Utah thing. They're mostly associated with Utah though.

I never knew there was any other kind of scone until I was an adult.

Not a Utah thing only. My MIL (who grew up in Lebanon) makes these when baking bread. Top with sprinkled sugar while warm or cinn and sugar. She gets a hankering for sweets this is always what she does, even now at 75. My DH grew up with this being a usual baking night treat.

She actually makes a flat circle and cuts into 4 quarters to fry. 

• Like 2

Not a Utah thing only. My MIL (who grew up in Lebanon) makes these when baking bread. Top with sprinkled sugar while warm or cinn and sugar. She gets a hankering for sweets this is always what she does, even now at 75. My DH grew up with this being a usual baking night treat.

She actually makes a flat circle and cuts into 4 quarters to fry. 

Yes, I think fried breads similar to this are common in many cultures.

It is only a specifically Utah-regional thing to call the final product a scone.

Edited by maize

I live in the US. I'm used to seeing scones in the shape of a triangle. And they don't taste or look like American biscuits to me, either. Dh makes scones sometimes. He doesn't use eggs. Even if he left the flavors out, I don't think I'd compare them to biscuits as I tend to think of those as flakey/less dense and buttery.

Root beer is an interesting topic to me because until I moved to the South I didn't know of Barq's. That one has caffeine in it and tastes quite different to me than some of the others I've had. I grew up with Mug and A&W. And of course I have to mention Not Your Father's Root Beer (alcoholic). I am not a beer person, but that stuff is okay. Oh and around here Ward's makes their own root beer which some people really like.

• Like 3

Yes, I think fried breads similar to this are common in many cultures.

It is only a specifically Utah-regional thing to call the final product a scone.

Ahh ok, the name is the Utah thing. LOL My head is still trying to keep track on all these various rabbit trails we've got going on in this thread.

• Like 2

I am not a big fan of sweet, carbonated beverages (called 'soda' in these parts, except by the real old-school die-hard Bostonians who call it 'tonic').

But, if I must drink a sweet, carbonated beverage, my favorites are root beer and Dr. Pepper. Not sure what that says about me. Not a big cola fan, of any variety, although I don't hate it, just don't like it much. Sprite's okay but a bit sweet (but sounds like in other parts of the world it tastes different?). Commercial ginger ale is pointless, because it just has artificial flavors. Give me a real, strong ginger beer (still non-alcoholic) with real ginger in it, though, and that's actually worth drinking. And I can completely overcome my normal aversion to carbonation in general for the ginger soda at Clover Food Labs, which they make by taking actual fresh-made ginger juice and a bit of sugar and mix it with carbonated water right in front of you. Then I have died and gone to heaven. But I loooove ginger. :001_wub:

And yeah, here lemonade is lemon juice + sugar (or corn syrup if it's commercial) + water, no carbonation, although other fruit juices can be added (strawberry lemonade, mango lemonade). I was already familiar with various European languages using 'limonade' as a generic term for 'sweet carbonated beverage', but I hadn't realized it was also used elsewhere in English. Fascinating that Dutch and Flemish disagree on that one. ;) Cordial I'm also only familiar with from Anne of Green Gables, and yeah, alcoholic.

I thought in the US, a flapjjack was a regular pancake made with buckwheat flour instead of wheat, although now that word is not used much and pancake pretty much is used for those made with any flour. I'd never heard of the Utah fried-dough variant, and sure enough, a peek at a Britsh dictionary says it's "achewybiscuitmadewithrolledoats". - that one's new on me too.

Anne of Green Gables cordial was NOT alcohol. She mixed it up and served Currant Wine by mistake.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 3

So what do you call Sprite if it's not lemonade? 

Sprite.

I hail from the "soda" region.  While Sprite is a lemon-lime soda, you order a Sprite.  If they don't carry Sprite, they might ask if 7-Up is okay, instead.  Much like if you order a Coke, they may tell you they have Pepsi.

• Like 2

Anne of Green Gables cordial was NOT alcohol. She mixed it up and served Currant Wine by mistake.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Ah. It's been like a zillion years since I read or watched that, so seems I've muddled that.

It's in the US that it's alcoholic, then? Dictionary says it's:

5.a strong, sweetened, aromatic alcoholic liquor; liqueur.

Based on Anne and our southern hemisphere members, the Commonwealth must have the non-alcoholic kind? Is this term used in the UK?

• Like 1

For those who say that Sprite does not taste like lemon.... For me it does not have a true lemon or lime flavor. Just a sweet, sparkly taste. But it's called a lemon lime soda by the manufacturers.

I wonder if there are different formulas in different areas of the world. Or if it is just not referred to as a lemon-lime drink everywhere, though it has the same taste everywhere.

It definitely tastes nothing like a drink made with actual lemons or limes (American style lemonade or limeade).

• Like 3