Menu

Sprite is Lemonade?

KungFuPanda

Dear Non-Americans,

If you venture into the world of root beer, go for the good stuff.  Cheap American root beer is a flavor many non-Americans find revolting.  Here's the best of the best with high quality ingredients and a more complex flavor: https://www.amazon.com/Henry-Weinhard-Sodas-Root-Beer/dp/B000WG851I

holy cow that is expensive

• Like 5

I have always wondered what root beer is.

Send me your address, I'll send you a little bag of root beer flavored candies :)

And try to explain a root beer float to people who have never had root beer.... it never ends well.  :laugh:

"Wait, so it's like Coke, but then you pour it over ice cream. What? Isn't that nasty? Why only vanilla ice cream? Are you all mad??"

Good luck explaining egg creams to them!

• Like 4

My Japanese friends tell me that root beer tastes like medicine to them; apparently the flavor is similar to a flavoring commonly used in Japanese medicine. It would be like drinking a soda flavored like the pink antibiotic syrup most of us had to take as a kid.

A Polish friend who knows I don't drink alcohol was horrified to see me with a can of somethng that said "beer" on the label. I'm not entirely sure she believed my explanation that it was just a soda with no alcohol at all.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

I always thought root beer was ginger beer. But, having googled, apparently it is not.

So what do you call Sprite if it's not lemonade? Oh, btw, we don't call it 'soda', we call it 'soft drink' or 'fizzy drink'. 

Names for soda will be regional in the US. For example, I'm in the southeast, and everything is a Coke. 

DH-Want a Coke?

Me- Sure!

DH- What kind?

Me-Mountain Dew

My grandparents call it cola, and my Chicago relatives call it pop. 

• Like 5

Names for soda will be regional in the US. For example, I'm in the southeast, and everything is a Coke. 

DH-Want a Coke?

Me- Sure!

DH- What kind?

Me-Mountain Dew

Yes in The South I don't just order a coke.  I say, "I'd like a coke-red can, white letters."

• Like 1

Of course? But they're fundamentally different products. It's like calling all coffee the same thing, when in fact there are different varieties, roasts, and milk drinks made with it. Just because it has coffee doesn't make it the same, and just because it has a lemon flavor doesn't make it the same either.

Nobody is saying they are the same product.

It's like how someone talking about biscuits in Alabama and someone talking about biscuits in London are using the same word to describe entirely different things; there is no implication that they think the things are the same just because they use the same word; the word biscuit or lemonade or whatever just means something different in different places.

A scone in Utah is fried dough, rather like Navajo fry bread. When I call that a scone it is not because I think it is the same category of thing as the baked good called a scone in other parts of the English speaking world.

• Like 4

Not everyone who likes root beer likes root beer candies.

Certainly, but I'm not sure that a bottle of really good root beer would survive the trip. And I'm not going to send her a can of kinda meh root beer, not at those shipping costs!

Anyway, this root beer candy is the best, and actually tastes just like real root beer except without being carbonated.

• Like 5

Certainly, but I'm not sure that a bottle of really good root beer would survive the trip. And I'm not going to send her a can of kinda meh root beer, not at those shipping costs!

Anyway, this root beer candy is the best, and actually tastes just like real root beer except without being carbonated.

Now you have to share the brand with us so we can confirm your claim!

I used to love barrel shaped root beer candies as a kid. We mostly lived in places where root beer beverages were unavailable, and I liked the flavor.

• Like 1

Through a hysterical Facebook post I have just been informed that lemonade isn't lemonade everywhere and that lots of places outside the U.S. call Sprite "lemonade." The funniest comment was "What did they think Beyonce was talking about?"

Apparently you and my daughter are reading the same things.  Last night she looked up from her phone, horrified.  "Did you all know that in other countries Sprite is lemonade??!?!"

• Like 2

Well, having, in my childhood, tried making it with chocolate ice cream, it definitely is nasty if not made with vanilla!

Except we call them spiders because "float" sounds disgusting.

Lime spider is best. Except maybe for lemon, lime and bitters spider.

And spider sounds like a tasty drink?

• Like 21

Especially in Australia, where, if nature shows have taught me anything, all spiders are horrifically venomous and on a mission to kill all humans.

That's true where I grew up too. It's hard to associate a spider with something tasty!

I love this thread!  Dialects are so interesting!

And, yeah, when I read the word 'spider', my first thought was to wonder if that was a typo, and my second was to think that I'm not sure I'd want to eat anything called a spider.  So funny that Aussies find our name for them kind of gross, too.

My husband served a mission in Argentina, and the drink he loved called "limonada" there was similar to what we call limeade here in the US (like our lemonade, but with limes instead of lemons), but with sweetened condensed milk added.

• Like 1

"Chilly bin" lol, how descriptive.

Speaking of descriptive, I figured out recently that the Dutch word for a funeral home is literally "Exit Center" (Uitvaartcentrum). I was making fun of it to my DH, and he was like, "What, at least then everyone knows what it is, unlike you Americans, who have to obfuscate everything you think is embarrassing, like "restroom." Do you rest there?" Well, no, but you're at rest after you go there, so...

• Like 3

A Polish friend who knows I don't drink alcohol was horrified to see me with a can of somethng that said "beer" on the label. I'm not entirely sure she believed my explanation that it was just a soda with no alcohol at all.

A cashier tried to card me once for buying cream soda. To be fair, it was Virgil's and she said she just glanced down and saw "micro-brewed" and assumed it was beer. :laugh:

• Like 1

Ah this explains so much ....

The Dutch word 'Limonade', which look like the translation of Lemonade, is more similar to what the British call squash:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squash_(drink)

And, to be clear, I'm not sure I've encountered lemon or lime flavored limonade... it might exist, but it's certainly not a common flavor. Orange is a common flavor, but all sorts of berries are also possible, e.g. strawberry, like on the wikipedia page:

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonade_(drank)

My not yet fully awake/not yet fully caffeinated take on this thread is --

At least everyone seems to agree on what vanilla ice cream is.

:laugh:  :laugh:

Which we'd call vanille ijs... and I'm sure that if I were to ask for vanilla ice in the US I'd end up with the guy famous for "Ice Ice Baby". All ice cream, popsicles, sorbets, etc are all "ijs" (or, if asking for 1, "1 ijsje", "je" being a diminutive added to all sorts of words).

ETA: and while in Belgium Sprite, Coke, etc are limonade, in NL those things are frisdrank, i.e. "fresh drink".

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 1

mmm I love spiders... coke spiders are the best

The chilly bin I might call an eskie

if I ask for lemonade I'm asking for sprite (preferably zero)

if i ask for coke, I'm asking for the red can / white writing

if I ask for pepsi max that's what I want

I've been trying to get my head around what a "biscuit" is in the US for a long time, and I'm also still not clear on "graham crackers"

Root beer tastes like medicine. 

I do not understand cherry flavoured anything.

search for lemonade here: https://shop.countdown.co.nz its aaaaalll the fizzy kind.  I too was confused by the idea of lemonade stands as a kid... I wondered if y'all had soda streams as standard equipment.  

My MIL makes a lemon syrup that we add to fizzy water to make "homemade lemonade" lol!

• Like 2

It says 'Sprite' on the can but it is on the 'lemonade' shelf with other fizzy drinks that are called lemonade and taste more or less the same.  So Sprite is a form of lemonade.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=273793794

I wouldn't be surprised if that use of the term lemonade dated back to WWII when there was no imported fruit, so all kinds of previous recipes were remade and the originals discarded.  My mother's recipe for Christmas Pudding had carrots in it, because fruit was unavailable during rationing and carrots are sweet.

That has about 1/3 of the sugar an American Sprite would have.

The bottles remind me of Trader Joe's Sparkling Juices, but even those are still twice the sugar of a Tesco Lemonade.

I think US biscuits are like scones? I had one once and it was very similar.

I agree, coke spiders are the best.

Yes they are, though scones can be sweet and biscuits usually aren't. Also, biscuits are often but not always fluffier than the scones I am familiar with.

US Southern style biscuits with gravy are one of my favorite breakfasts.

Edited by maize
  • Like 5

This is the reason, btw, I refuse to drink cherry soda. Blech!

Yes! Dr pepper just tastes like panadol.

I so want a spider now though, I am going to get supplies and make them with all the kids on Christmas.

Graham crackers are nice, they would be called a sweet biscuit here. Crackers are generally a thin, crispy, savoury item that you pair with cheese.

And let's not even start with the milk/cream thing... I can never keep that straight.

• Like 1

So are you saying in other countries a can of Sprite doesn't have the word "Sprite" on the can, it reads, "Lemonade"?

For me (Australian), lemonade is the generic term for a fizzy, clear, sweet drink. You can buy homebrand or name brands eg 7-Up or Sprite. But here, it isn't lemony or limey. It's just clear and sweet.

It's like cola is a generic name and Pepsi and Coke are two brands of it.

But if someone said they were going to make homemade lemonade, I'd think of something altogether different - actual lemon juice, mixed with water and sugar. And not fizzy.

And from memory, I believe that our Mars Bars are maybe your Snickers bars? Or something like that? Milky Way bars maybe?

• Like 2

Yes they are, though scones can be sweet and biscuits usually aren't. Also, biscuits are often but not always fluffier than the scones I am familiar with.

US Southern style biscuits with gravy are one of my favorite breakfasts.

Also from a culinary history point of view, American biscuits do not have egg. Scones do. The southern tradition of Biscuits at most meals comes from the regionally produced soft wheat, which doesn't work well for yeast breads. The northern states produced hard wheat, better for yeast breads.

Regarding root beer, it tastes like wintergreen mint to me, which is why many from Asian countries say it tastes like medicine.

• Like 2

Not in the UK. Lemonade is sweet, colourless, fizzy and vaguely lemon tasting. Orange Fanta is not lemonade, nor is Coca Cola or ginger beer.

L

Though I think of all flavours of San Pellegrino cans as lemonade Even if they are orange/lime/raspberry etc. Not quite sure where the line is because I agree Fanta and those others aren't lemonade. It might be like the difference between orange juice and orange juice drink.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Though I think of all flavours of San Pellegrino cans as lemonade Even if they are orange/lime/raspberry etc. Not quite sure where the line is because I agree Fanta and those others aren't lemonade. It might be like the difference between orange juice and orange juice drink.

Hmmm.... I wouldn't count San Pellegrino Raspberry as lemonade.

• Like 1

DH-Want a Coke?

Me- Sure!

DH- What kind?

Me-Mountain Dew

Oh that's interesting. I have a friend from us and she often asks her kid if he wants a coke then gives him a lemonade. I thought that was weird but now makes sense.

• Like 3

Off topic: orange juice and orange juice drink were a pet peeve of mine during my college year abroad.

My kids describe Mountain Dew and Sprite as carbonated lemonade.

I would have asked for a cocktail if I wanted a fruit flavored alcoholic drink.

"Cordial, in the United States, is generally used interchangeably with liqueur, although you may find that the word cordial tends to appear more often on dessert-like products: liqueurs flavored with coffee, cream, chocolate, etc.

In another example of two lands divided by a common tongue, though, cordial is used in the UK to mean any syrupy or very sweet non-alcoholic beverage. So the product that we Americans call Rose's Lime Juice is, in its native England, called Rose's Lime Cordial. It of course is alcohol-free." http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/06/cocktail-terms-what-is-the-difference-between-aperitif-digestif-liquor-spirit-dry-sweet-perfect-manhattan-spirits-glossary.html

The cordial thing reminded me of the issue I had with cider when I came to the UK because here cider is alcoholic except for the few exceptions that are specifically labeled and marketed as non-alcohol alternatives whereas where I grew up in the in the States, it was cider and hard cider for the alcoholic version. 

Also, I've listened to Brits argue that flavoured ciders [like Brother's Coconut and Lime Cider] are not ciders because they have more than apples but did not have another word for what they were instead. However, we were in a pub and they already had a few drinks in them so that might explain both issues they had  :lol: Maybe someone here has a better word for it  :P

I think as the UK at least is not really placed to ship lemons to easily - and they fell even more out of favour during the  World Wars - it makes sense neither would have homemade lemonade stuff as a mainstay [i've seen it very rarely here at trendy night markets] and have something else fill that linguistic and beverage gap. 

No not really. Lemonade tends to have a mild lemon or just neutral flavour. Fizzy drinks with other flavours like Fanta, passiona, etc are known as fizzy, cool drink or just called by their names.

Not here. All those fizzy drinks are lemonade too. San Pellegrino isn't. That's it's own category. It's not sweet enough to be lemonade.

Is this a Victorian thing ? 

Only the clear fizzy stuff is lemonade in NSW.  No way is Fanta lemonade.

San Pellegrino is mineral water, isn't it ? Sparkling water.

Must be a Victorian thing. *shrug*

Is San Pellegrino mineral water? I don't know. I just know it is nice (because it doesn't have as much sugar as regular lemonade/fizzy drink/ lolly water/ etc) unless it is chinotto which is probably the drink of choice in Hades. :ack2:

Hey, guess what just happened to me!

I'm reading a book by Liane Moriarty, she's Australian, and not two seconds ago I read this line:

"As Cecilia watched, Polly leaned forward to take a sip of lemon cordial...."

And until this afternoon, I'd have had no idea what the heck Polly was sipping. Since Polly is a 6 year old, I guess I'd have thought they have a starlingly young drinking age in Australia. :).

Edited by Garga
  • Like 19