Menu

Is it to much to ask

Baseball mom

And egg beaters!  Seriously?  How can they make an egg beater that stops and starts?  It makes NO SENSE!  Don't they test their stupid designs at all?  And don't get me started on colanders.  On modern colanders that are too small to do anything reasonable with, or too tall and narrow to be functional, or don't an offset to stand on, so the pasta ends up soaking in water at the bottom of the sink, yuck.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

We rarely open cans here in Colombia, but I have that feeling about Toasters.  We went through a bunch of them and my wife was so disgusted with them, she wouldn't let me buy another one and I like to eat Toast with my Breakfasts.  Then, Stepson or his wife won a raffle, and their prize was a number of small electrical things for the kitchen.  I'd never heard of the brand, but we got the Toaster. It is a Zanussi, apparently a brand owned by Electrolux.  I think it is the best Toaster we have ever had.  Good luck finding a great Can Opener!

• Like 2

That's the one we have and it has held up better than our old Zyliss, which got really stiff and hard to turn, especially on thicker gauge cans (we use a lot of the larger ones here).

Yes to both. On the eternal quest for the perfect candidate opener, I had the Zyliss and it quit workibg after a year (still <3 their peeler though) and now LOVE the ez-duz-it, which is just like the old Swing-Aways.

I have an electric can opener that my parents received as a wedding present. That would make it almost 60 years old. It is ugly and the cord has been spliced, but it is so powerful! My only complaint is that it will spin the cans so fast that the contents slosh out a bit lol. I bought can openers for the first 20 years of my marriage. I don't remember how many I tried, but I was never happy. My family laughs at me and my ancient can opener, but they just don't make them like they used to.

• Like 1

All new can openers have died on me, even oxo and kitchenaod.

Go to the thrift store. After someone's grandma died, the grandkids, not realizing how much better made small kitchen gadgets used to be and liking pretty colors like stainless and jewel red that give the illusion of quality, dropped her kitchen drawer contents off at the thrift store. Among this miscellany was a heavy manual can opener with brown or green vinyl handle covers. If you look closely the metal part is stamped "swing away". Since any number of grandmas die each year 😢 , there will be any number of them for you to select at the thrift store for $1 or less. $2 if you live in Brooklyn or Portland where retro kitchens (vs retro styled kitchens) are hip.

Besides being quality, it is comfortable in the hand.

Thank me later. Nothing made today is as durable or smartly designed IMO.

http://a63.tinypic.com/2r296s3.jpg

Edited by LucyStoner