Menu

Quick favor, please? 30 second Poll . . .

StephanieZ

Some of the options were kind of insulting. It's okay to do a goofy poll, but he might think about trying to word things in a way that doesn't insult or oversimplify the people he is asking to give of their time to help him.

Thanks, y'all!!

He's up to 92 respondents so far, with 4,4% identifying as attack helicopter for gender. THANK YOU for helping him get the responses he needs!! (Who is the attack helicopter?!?)

And, yes, I'm sure at least one goal is to understand the inherent biases in polls via wording of questions, lack of potential options, etc. Every student in the AP Gov't class has to do a poll. My newsfeed from local parents has had others, lol. 

• Like 3

I found it very interesting to be asked my opinion on gun control... and have it implied that my opinion was most relevant to citizens of a different country. I have opinions on gun control, but they pretty much apply to *my* country. Also, I do have a political affiliation, but it would be really strange (possibly seditious) if my political affiliation was with an American party!

(Hint: Polls on the open internet will not be limited to American respondents. The internet does not belong to the USA. He might want to include some observations about ethnocentrism in his assignment. It might be good for the grades.)

• Like 4

I did "complete" the poll, but I had to skip quite a few questions. There was no appropriate option for me for political or religious affiliation, for example, and a few others that were problematic. So, I don't know how helpful my responses will be.

I'd be very cuirous to know how these polls equate to a learning experience. Sure would appreciate it if you could come back and share later!

• Like 1

There was no option for not belonging to any political party (which is my case). In California, almost 25% of voters are not affiliated with any political party – that is over 4,100,000 people in California alone.

Also, he had no "classical" music option!  :confused1: :nopity:  :) 

Anyway, I did it :)

• Like 4

I'd be very cuirous to know how these polls equate to a learning experience. Sure would appreciate it if you could come back and share later!

I think it's most likely that the students will be "analyzing" the statistics generated from their polls. This will involve them being able to make statements like '100% of people who identify as attack helicopters think that shooting guns is fun.' It can teach the method of stating statistical assertions while casting a fun 'mad libs' - type of atmosphere over the activity.
  • Like 2

Now that's a kid with a great sense of humor!

I wasn't crazy about no middle ground option on the President coming for my guns. I would have answered something more moderate.

• Like 3

There was no option for not belonging to any political party (which is my case). In California, almost 25% of voters are not affiliated with any political party – that is over 4,100,000 people in California alone.

Also, he had no "classical" music option!  :confused1: :nopity:   :)

Anyway, I did it :)

The music thing slayed me!! This is my classical guitarist son! He's played THOUSANDS of hours of classical music, and listened to plenty! He plays professional level repertoire! He disappointed quite a few world class guitarists when he decided not to pursue conservatory! Good grief!!

• Like 5

It would have been nice if the "how was this poll?" questions were less goofy.

I clicked "Wow amazing" which was perfect for me since I could hear that in DS8s over the top sarcastic snark... "Like, wow amazing" voice... yes our house does have an enforced "No sarcastic "wows"" rule. I swear all he has learned in 3 years of PS is sarcasm and eye rolling.

Edited by raptor_dad
  • Like 3

Look, I didn't even know I identified as an attack helicopter until I saw the option. My life has been in disarray all day. What will my family say? What if the army kidnaps me for research purposes? Am I only submersible to a certain depth?

Also (right or wrong), isn't Athiest/Agnostic usually included under religious affiliation in most surveys? Sometimes just like that, like they're the same thing?

• Like 1

Done. Are all the students polling on the same topic (sounds like the focus of your son's survey was gun control)? I just wonder how a bunch of homeschoolers from a global-participation forum might cause his results to differ from others. I mean, we are an eclectic bunch and though his sample size is technically 100 people, he had a broad base to draw from. I'm curious to hear how his stats/info compare to those of his classmates.

• Like 1