Menu

Who (not running) would make a good President?

MamaBearTeacher

I know we are not supposed to be no political, so do not include any politicians in your answer. you can include anyone else, your best friend, your boss, other famous people, even fictional characters. I am interested in which leadership qualities they possess rather than their political persuasion. Who do you wish was running and why?

• Like 1

My mother! She was a middle school teacher for 25 years, her students called her Sargeant Helen behind her back. I have never known her to tell a lie, and if she could manage middle schoolers, she could run the country. Congress would live in fear, and the Senate would run for their lives! Hi mom!

• Like 14

Most people I can think of who are actually suitable for it are already in politics, because most people don't actually have the drive or skill in communication and persuasion to be truly good in such an office. Hate to say it, but people like my pastor or favorite teacher would be horrible politicians despite their integrity and skill in their leadership capacity, precisely because what makes an effective political leader is a very different set. It's not just ego or desire for power, but ability to fundraise, compromise strategically in some areas to hold the line in others (and knowing which ones your voters say they want versus actually need), and to be ruthless and aggressive enough to not roll over in the face of opposition (very difficult for kind, gentle, humble people to balance).

I do find business leaders to be more effective in the capacity of government management than nonprofit organizers or career politicians but they usually lack the communication polish and sparkly talking points. I'd take the CEO of US Plastics any day over most politicians (Stanley Tam), but he couldn't get elected for the same reason Herman Cain couldn't.

My husband. He is an excellent leader and problem solver with wide-ranging knowledge and experience. He understands the intricacies of business, science, technology, and history. He is articulate, humble, kind, and brilliant. He values all lives, regardless of race, nationality, ability, or age. He is the most genuinely righteous person I know.

Alas, he has no interest in politics.  :)

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

My husband as well.  A peacemaker, and excellent judge (of everything)  and a person of impeccable character and integrity.

My mom, but she isn't here anymore.  She's running some things in heaven.  ;)

Wayne Brady, because he is hilarious and would also sing a lot in various styles.  I could get behind a Wayne Brady Presidency. 

Ross Perot.  He's old now but he should have been President.  He can be President now, as far as I am concerned. 

Betty White.  Why not?

• Like 1

My uncle would do great. He is in politics, gets people elected, but is not elected himself. But he is too smart to run for anything.

Unfortunately, elections are so cruel and candidates are treated so poorly that no decent person will run anymore.

• Like 1

My uncle would do great. He is in politics, gets people elected, but is not elected himself. But he is too smart to run for anything.

Unfortunately, elections are so cruel and candidates are treated so poorly that no decent person will run anymore.

Or if the decent person runs they don't seek office beyond a state level. My MIL is fantastic and has done a brilliant job, but if she ever goes higher it won't be beyond governor and that's just fine. It's hard to watch her be attacked for doing the right thing.

And yes, my husband would never run - he'd do a great job (better than his mom, I think) but he knows he would be more effective in the private sector and for half as much headache. So he would never try because he values his own sanity and happiness. He has his plate more than full just helping on campaigns and party stuff :lol:

The best people would never run!

My 4 year old. He's smart. Adorable. Funny. Charming. He has the whole family at his beckon call. He does have a FOMO (fear of missing out) issue so he has been known to wet his pants to avoid missing out on any fun, but even with that he's still a major step up from our current options. I mean I'm sure the White House has a washing machine. Maybe even a Speed Queen. ;)

• Like 6

Our family was watching The Profit a few weeks ago and decided Marcus Lemonis would make a dandy president. Can you imagine him applying his People, Process, & Product philosophy to America? :lurk5:

SWB, Catwoman, and Tibbie or any combination there of...

• Like 1

My friend Amanda. She is adoptive mom, bio mom, and has foster many kids along g with getting her doctorate as an nurse practitioner. She would be great and might have the drive for it as well.

Some of her quotes Include:

I will NOT be emotionally manipulated.

NO is not an answer.....how can we make this happen?.....she does things like gets a st cell transplant for her son to cure his Sickle cell when she was told it couldn't happen.

• Like 2

I can't believe his mother is Gloria Vanderbilt. 

I just learned that fairly recently. 

Don't know why that surprised me so much, but I just didn't know that!

I know!  I fell in love with him when he helped carry the Haitian boy to safety in 2010 during the lootings following the earthquake.  I know he's taken and he can never be mine, but still, he's my hero.  

Edited by amsunshinetemp
  • Like 1

I would have jumped parties and voted for Kasich if he had gotten the Republican nomination, but, alas, he didn't really stand a chance. Probably because he actually seems to be a decent human being.

Unfortunately everyone thought he was 'too boring.' :(