Menu

Is this cutting it too close?

Daria

My son is signed up for a noon college visit on Columbus Day at a school in another state.  The visit includes a 1:1 meeting with a professor.  Our first choice is to fly in that morning,  see the school, and then he'll get on a plane to go back that night, while I'll stay for a training related to my job.

The best possible flight lands at 9:56.  Google maps says the airport is 25 minutes without traffic from the school.  Do you think that's a safe plan? The other options are a late night flight the night before plus paying for a hotel and an extra day of dog boarding, or flying from a more distant airport, which would mean leaving home super early in the a.m., and paying a lot in cabfare to the airport.   Neither of those are desirable, but they're both better than paying to fly up there and then missing the meeting!

We won't be checking luggage, so we'd walk off the plane, grab a cab, and head straight to the campus.  I'm hoping that 10:00 on Columbus Day there's not a lot of traffic, but maybe I'm wrong. 

Edited by Daria
  • Like 1

You don't mention when the 1:1 meeting with the teacher is, so that is a factor.

Assuming the meeting is anytime after 12 noon, I think you should be just fine AS LONG AS you're not connecting flights. We fly a lot, and don't usually have trouble with flights leaving in the morning and not connecting. Delays seem to happen when you're dealing with connections and/or taking afternoon/evening flights.

I think you can safely go for it. It's not unusual for us to do what you're thinking of doing.

DH has been on 22 flights in the past few weeks, not a single one has left on time.  A few managed to make up the time in the air, but that was only the "makeup" flights he was placed on after missing his connections.  One missed connection cost up a $200 hotel night.  I wouldn't chance it.

What do you think the odds are of something going wrong?  I don't fly enough to have a good sense.

It really depends on the weather. Some places in October are getting snow & bad weather. It may be fine where you are but if the plane has to come from somewhere else you could be delayed. I'd fly in the night before just to be safe.

You don't mention when the 1:1 meeting with the teacher is, so that is a factor.

Assuming the meeting is anytime after 12 noon, I think you should be just fine AS LONG AS you're not connecting flights. We fly a lot, and don't usually have trouble with flights leaving in the morning and not connecting. Delays seem to happen when you're dealing with connections and/or taking afternoon/evening flights.

I think you can safely go for it. It's not unusual for us to do what you're thinking of doing.

I think it's a noon tour, and then a meeting after, but I'm not sure.  Maybe I'll call and ask.

I'm not too worried about burning bridges with the professor. He's a tech theater kid, interviewing with a tech theater professor.  We had originally planned to fly up Friday, spend a few days with friends in the area and then go see the University on Monday, but then he got chosen to work a show that closes on Sunday.  My impression is that if there is a problem, "I had to fly up that morning, because we were striking the set the night before" will work fine as an excuse, and possibly gain him points.  However, it wouldn't change the fact that we'd still have wasted a lot of money.  

This isn't his official interview/portfolio review visit, just a preliminary one.

I agree that at a major airport, you need to allow extra time. Even if we land on time, I often need to allow an extra hour for things like sitting on the tarmac, waiting for a gate, taking 15 minutes to get off the plane because I am in row 45, and everyone in front of me needs to get their bags from various overhead bins, walking down LONG corridors because we arrived at gate 75, finding the taxi stand, waiting in line for my turn for a taxi, etc ....

When I travel into small airports I am amazed at how quickly I can get out and on the road.

• Like 5

I would be uncomfortable with the timing for sure.  I'd schedule to fly in the evening before.  And that said, I wouldn't pick the last flight of the day.  Disclaimer - we've had many flight delays over the past couple years. 

SO many things could go wrong with that timing especially at a larger airport besides flight delay - gate issues, getting transportation, traffic, construction,etc.  Honestly, for a noon meeting, I'd want no later than a scheduled 8 am arrival. 

• Like 1

for a noon meeting that is 25 mintues away - I would plan on a plane landing by 8am at the latest. 

flights are often late - either departing or even arriving.  then you wait for everyone to get off the plane even if you don't have checked bags to pick up.  are you renting a car? (which I would assume as you need to get to the college.)  that's another time factor.

then after you arrive - you have to find parking and where you are meeting.

I would be uncomfortable with the timing for sure.  I'd schedule to fly in the evening before.  And that said, I wouldn't pick the last flight of the day.  Disclaimer - we've had many flight delays over the past couple years. 

SO many things could go wrong with that timing especially at a larger airport besides flight delay - gate issues, getting transportation, traffic, construction,etc.  Honestly, for a noon meeting, I'd want no later than a scheduled 8 am arrival. 

this - unless you have no choice.

dsil had a job interview in tx - needless to say, didn't want his bosses to know.  so, he took one day off, and flew down right after work for interviews the next day. he was scheduled for the an evening return flight so he could go to work at 6am. . . . his flight was a cancelled due to weather.  he was able to get the very last flight out to an airport three hours from here. (he got in just after midnight).  dd took ds and they drove down to get him so he could go to work at 6am.

and delays aren't necessarily at your own airport .. . . . we once had a six hour delay because our plane was on the ground in LA due to fires.  we were in Chicago.

• Like 2

DH uses flightaware.com (website, not mobile) to check the one-time performance for particular flights. I don't think it is a crazy idea, but I would have contact phone numbers in case something goes wrong.

I've used that and I think the other one is FlightStats.com      On one of those, in April, I watched our flight from Bogota to Orlando, on a number of days before our trip. One day, the flight left Bogota about 40 minutes early. But there was another day the flight had a mechanical problem and they turned back to Bogota, after getting North of Colombia. over the Caribbean Sea.   That day really screwed up their average for On Time Performance, but it happened.  I was an airline employee for 5 years and I had a girlfriend who was a Flight Attendant. Things happen.  I would suggest the OP fly to that city the day before and not risk destroying the visit, if everything does not go perfectly.   DIL went on a short (35 or 40 ,minute) flight to Bogota, that took hours, because the weather in Bogota was below limits and they had to return to Cali.  She was  4 or 5  hours late to her meeting in Bogota that day.  Things happen.  The flight with THE BEST On Time Performance record, can go terribly awry, on any particular day.

• Like 1

True. But you could get a flat tire on the way or myriad other problems could crop up. Maybe it depends more on the impact of not making it. Friendly safety school with a live person you have been in contact with, or THE SCHOOL with no margin for error. Is it doable to fly in the night before and stay over, or would that be a hardship?

I guess OP's tone made me feel like flying out that morning, with a two hour cushion for mechanical or minor weather delays was reasonable. If it turns out she is looking for a no-risk guarantee, then same-day flight is probably out.

In any case, don't take Amtrak!

Edited by SusanC

I wouldn't risk it. This summer we took a flight that had a four hour departure delay. Fortunately, we were at the end of the trip and only flying home, but it was still a big inconvenience. That kind of thing is unpredictable and could really derail your plans. Although it will cost more, I'd fly in the night before.

OK, you guys convinced me.  I need to figure out if we can spend the night.  

This college hunting this is becoming overwhelming fast.  This is the third visit where something has come up that has jeopardized it.  First one was a snowstorm (the campus was closed), second one we couldn't get transportation to work, and now this one he's got a show the night before.  So, we've scheduled 5 visits and made it on 2! 

I strongly believe that horrible delays can occur on any airline. It can happen on Avianca, which has one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world (some of their aircraft have only been in service a few months) and that are very well equipped with the latest Avionics and other equipment, or on an airline with an old fleet (average age) and aircraft that are not so well equipped.  Things happen.  I believe the OP and her son should either fly to that city the day before, or, reschedule the visit so it is less problematic for them.    I remember many years ago, my wife and I were going up to the U.S. Embassy in Bogota on an early morning flight.  We were delayed leaving Cali, because of the weather in Bogota.  When   one has an appointment in another city, it can be very dicey. Normally things go perfectly, but cutting it as close as the OP  outlined in her first post here, would make me very very nervous.  There are little glitches that an aircraft can operate with, but there are other issues which are required to be resolved, before the aircraft can fly. Other things that can crop up are the lack of crewmember(s).  If one of the Flight Attendants isn't there, they can't go.  Things can happen.  I remember reading, a  year or so ago, about a woman from NC who went to  Chicago for a meeting, planning to return home that day. She was stranded in a Chicago blizzard, with her purse and her cell phone.

I think that plan sounds fine, if it's a typical domestic flight that usually runs on time. (You can look up stats.)

But, if this is extremely important and you can swing it, I'd probably plan to fly in the night before, just to take away all anxiety about it.   

Or is there a flight you can take that arrives earlier in the morning?

Does your son have to leave early?  That's completely beside the point, but if you are staying on for meetings, can't he stay on too?  He can always spend a little more time on campus or just getting to know the city a bit.

I think that plan sounds fine, if it's a typical domestic flight that usually runs on time. (You can look up stats.)

But, if this is extremely important and you can swing it, I'd probably plan to fly in the night before, just to take away all anxiety about it.

Or is there a flight you can take that arrives earlier in the morning?

Does your son have to leave early? That's completely beside the point, but if you are staying on for meetings, can't he stay on too? He can always spend a little more time on campus or just getting to know the city a bit.

No, he can't stay. He's got a college class on Tuesday a.m.. Plus the training I am going on provides a guest house and I am sharing a room there with a colleague.

• Like 1

Why do you NEED an in-person college visit? I went to a college in another country and a college across the country without a pre-visit. I don't understand the necessity, if the program is appropriate. 

???  That's great that your program worked for you but campus' can vary widely in terms of size, feel, community, culture, housing, city amenities, etc.  It can potentially be an expensive mistake if it doesn't work out.  I certainly see why for plenty of people it would be preferable to get on campus and check it out if possible.

• Like 3

Why do you NEED an in-person college visit? I went to a college in another country and a college across the country without a pre-visit. I don't understand the necessity, if the program is appropriate. 

He doesn't need to, but I'm fortunate that, as a middle class family, I can afford to pay for some carefully chosen luxuries, like the opportunity to see some schools before making a decision.  

He doesn't yet have the life experience to know what's important to him in a school, so seeing some schools of different sizes, in different kinds of environments, with different kinds of campuses will be helpful.  We probably won't go look at every school he considers, but we want to see enough to be able to narrow down the list. 

There are, currently, no drivers in our family, and the degree/major he wants is not available in our state, so visiting any school will involve some kind of transportation, either a plane or a train or a bus.  I work 7 days a week, and he's got a lot of theater commitments so the logistics are tricky.  

• Like 4

That works for some people, but lots of us can't imagine committing to studying and living at a school without ever having seen it! 

Some people are more affected by environment than others - it can be positive and energizing, or negative and stressful, to varying degrees. 

I myself value the overall school, atmosphere, and culture over any one program - the majority of students change majors more than once. 

He doesn't need to, but I'm fortunate that, as a middle class family, I can afford to pay for some carefully chosen luxuries, like the opportunity to see some schools before making a decision.  

He doesn't yet have the life experience to know what's important to him in a school, so seeing some schools of different sizes, in different kinds of environments, with different kinds of campuses will be helpful.  We probably won't go look at every school he considers, but we want to see enough to be able to narrow down the list. 

There are, currently, no drivers in our family, and the degree/major he wants is not available in our state, so visiting any school will involve some kind of transportation, either a plane or a train or a bus.  I work 7 days a week, and he's got a lot of theater commitments so the logistics are tricky.  

I should correct myself.  He doesn't need to see the colleges before deciding where to apply, which is what we're doing.  He does need to interview in person, which can happen either on campus or at something called "Unified Auditions" in NYC, Chicago, LA or Vegas.

Just move the appt with the professor.  Even little things like parking and getting lost in the office building are going to slow you down.  You have to walk on college campuses, so it will take you 10-15 min once you get there.

I missed it, but he's flying back and you're staying?  Too bad he can't stay as well and spend a night in the dorms.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Just move the appt with the professor. Even little things like parking and getting lost in the office building are going to slow you down. You have to walk on college campuses, so it will take you 10-15 min once you get there.

I missed it, but he's flying back and you're staying? Too bad he can't stay as well and spend a night in the dorms.

They only offer specific times, and we already have the latest slot of the day.

??? That's great that your program worked for you but campus' can vary widely in terms of size, feel, community, culture, housing, city amenities, etc. It can potentially be an expensive mistake if it doesn't work out. I certainly see why for plenty of people it would be preferable to get on campus and check it out if possible.

When I applied to college, no one was admitted in the music department without an interview. IF that went well, you then had to come back for the audition.

My ds majoring in Freshwater Sciences and Sustainability had to interview to be admitted to the department.

Now a days there are increasing number of majors in which there are two layers of admission. First layer, admisson the college. Second layer, the department of choice which means more hoop jumping. Colleges are not concerned about the cost to parents and students.

• Like 2

I believe that  a prospective student  should spent the maximum time possible, wandering around the campus, going in and out of buildings and looking around, and if one is lucky enough to be there on a day when classes are in session, to sit in on one or 2 classes.  I would love for my DD to be able to spend a day or 2 doing that on the Tech (Texas Tech University) campus, which is huge, and at any other universities she may become interested in during the next couple of years.   I think it would be a big plus, for any prospective student to be able to talk with current students, and, if possible, Instructors/Professors, in the College within the university that one is interested in attending.   I would be interested in class size and in who is doing the teaching and the general atmosphere on campus. One person will be comfortable attending one university and not another university and there is a lot of "gut feeling" involved in where one is or is not comfortable.  

• Like 1

I would have been CLINICAL as a teen with that schedule. I LOATHE being late and would have wanted to see where I was going, check out parking, figure out how to arrive 15 minutes early, walk the route, etc. If my parents (close cutters as ALWAYS the last at pick up for anything) insisted on that schedule I'd have had a MISERABLE experience. Please reconsider. One domino falls and you're done (and for me, or would communicate you're not very serious about the school).

Edited by FriedClams