Menu

Fun Thread: What Gadgets/Appliances Do You Just Not Understand the Love For?

Crimson Wife

We have that much asparagus, but don't like it steamed. My mom used to boil it - yuck.

Agree with the rest.

As far as I am concerned, the only way to eat asparagus is briefly roasting it. Or perhaps cut up in egg dishes or stir fry. I agree with you. Steamed asparagus. Yuck. I can't even imagine boiling it. WTG you for living through that!

• Like 1

Icemakers--we had one that developed a pinhole leak in the feed line. Didn't discover it until suddenly the vinyl floor was squishy from the water under it. Had to have the entire kitchen floor replaced--three layers of subflooring and vinyl (old house)-- while I was 9 months pregnant and on partial bedrest. They finished the last bit the day I went to the hospital. We've stuck with ice cube trays since that point.

• Like 3

I didn't even know that an asparagus steamer or a banana slicer existed, LOL!

I learned about it in the For Small Hands catalog:

http://www.forsmallhands.com/banana-slicer

I'm sure little kids think it's neat, but really... I suspect it's a pain to clean, and it's not any safer than a butter knife, no matter what they say.

microwave for anything except reheating (can't cook in it)

You can heat milk so you can make hot chocolate.

Our manual can opener is circa 2005, still works great, and was probably from Walmart or HEB, not some fancy place.

I love my rice cooker because I can cook a pot of rice and we eat on it for 2 days, and it still tastes good.  We eat a lot of rice around here.  Other than that, I am really not impressed with single-use appliances UNLESS one uses them a lot.  We have a waffle maker because my son loves waffles.  But when he moves out, he takes it with him.  

I also like my hot water tank which lets us have hot water at any given moment.  

Both the tank and the rice cooker are Zojirushi, and I have to say that the other brands I got for our beach house were cheaper but pretty much not as useful because the rice got too dry after a few hours and the tank broke within a few months.  

I didn't even have a toaster until we had been married for 20 years...but we got one for a family reunion so people could get their own breakfasts.  Slow cookers, well, I have one, but it is a metal pot so I can heat things up quickly on the stove and then keep them hot for company, or take them to church where we don't have a stove, but I don't generally care for slow-cooked meals as they flavors don't remain as distinct.  And I can do as well with my French oven.  

I have a food processor, a toaster, a microwave (coffee reheater), and not one but two (different) coffeemakers.  Dh and I differ on the amount of work it ought to be to make a single cup of coffee.  :0)   Hand mixer.  

My mother always had allllll the appliances put away, and I like that clean-counter look, but it was an uphill battle with my dh and I just gave up.  My mom had an electric fry pan that she used all the time, and I could actually see getting one of those if my pans were like hers were (terrible) but I'm OK with what we have and our gas stove.  

As far as I am concerned, the only way to eat asparagus is briefly roasting it. Or perhaps cut up in egg dishes or stir fry. I agree with you. Steamed asparagus. Yuck. I can't even imagine boiling it. WTG you for living through that!

Ha.

My mom boiled all veggies, basically beat all the vitamins and flavor out of them, leaving soggy remains that we had to eat in negotiated amounts.  Asparagus and artichokes were the only ones that were even remotely palatable after this treatment.  I prefer asparagus in stir fry, but I still like it steamed, or briefly simmered.

• Like 1

But but the OXO one I linked! My grandma even asked us where we got it so she could tell someone else that showed interest in it.

I had an OXO one that broke and that's what drove me to the Goodwill bins looking for a good old fashioned one. I do think I had a different OXO one though.

• Like 1

I don't need toaster ovens, or garlic presses.  I mince garlic with a knife.  I have a regular toaster and a convection oven/microwave.  My dishwasher is Bosch and there are no food particles left on the dishes or stains or anything else that shouldn't be there.  We just bought the dishwasher this year after our old one basically stopped cleaning.  I also don't have a rice cooker.  I make rice in a pot and it comes out fine.

• Like 1

I'm with whoever said crock pot.

I guess that's pretty controversial but I never found it as life changing as some people claim. It's still work to get the food in there and make it come out good and not like gross mush. And besides there's nothing a crock pot can do that my dutch oven pot can't do.

I hate electric can openers. No canned food is worth that noise.

I don't get the love for computers that listen to your voice, mostly because I've never seen one that's good at it. DS loves to trick DH's gps.

My favorite crock-pot recipe is plain whole sweet potatoes, so it's worthwhile to keep the CP just for that IMO, & not heat up the oven for a couple of hours in the afternoon

I'd be so happy if TVs in public places were not a thing.

You cook sweet potatoes in your crock pot? Please share how you do that.

What I have that I use less than once a month and could live without but choose to keep:

Electric grill (I like the way it cooks things, but not the clean up)

Waffle iron (it is for the kids)

Kitchen aid stand mixer

Immersion blender

Toaster over is in the garage right now. I liked it for small items, but don't have counter space.

Potato ricer

Pizza Stone

What I use often and would hate to do without:

Vitamix or another powerful blender.

Instant Pot (this is my second electric pressure cooker, I dropped/broke my first so it is definitely a keeper)

Hand mixer

Dishwasher (mine actually works great even with minimal scraping)

Toaster

Microwave

Crockpot (I use it to keep things warm for parties more than cooking)

Oven

Regular coffee pot for the family (for me a french press is plenty or ice brewed)

Hot water pot (for my tea or french press coffee)

Metal pizza pan and rotary cutter

Do they need to be single layer or not?

Nope. Once, I filled it as high as possible. I don't know how long it takes. A few hours? I started early and then kept them warm for a party.

Eta: I've also wrapped them in foil and put them on top of a roast.

Edited by sarasue7272
  • Like 1

Icemakers--we had one that developed a pinhole leak in the feed line. Didn't discover it until suddenly the vinyl floor was squishy from the water under it. Had to have the entire kitchen floor replaced--three layers of subflooring and vinyl (old house)-- while I was 9 months pregnant and on partial bedrest. They finished the last bit the day I went to the hospital. We've stuck with ice cube trays since that point.

Yes! Our entire main level's floor was just replaced - due to a pinhole leak in the ice maker line. Continuous hardwoods. Ouch!

Keurigs.

Yogurt maker.

Rice maker.

Really, any single use item.

And in the HSing realm: pro-click

Yogurt maker.

The yogurt maker I used frequently until we went mostly dairy-free. I've tried several recipes but have yet to figure out how to make a decent homemade yogurt with non-dairy milk. I should probably get rid of it but we have the storage space and I've been burned before by giving away appliances that I thought I no longer needed only to regret it later (breadmaker, I'm looking at you!)

Well, the Instant Pot is awesome because it is MANY appliances in one and I love that the interior is heavy stainless (no Teflon, no breakable crock, etc.). I got rid of my crock pot and rice cooker, and am also able to use this to make yogurt (I didn't have a yogurt maker, but wanted to make yogurt so this is great for me). In addition, it's a pressure cooker, which I also didn't have and never thought I would use, but I LOVE it! I also like that I can sautĂƒÂ© directly in it before I start cooking, so if I needed to brown ground meat for a slow cooker recipe, I can do it right in the Instant pot, then throw everything else in (only one dirty item). It is honestly one of the best kitchen appliances I've ever bought. Also, when you think of the cost of it versus the cost of all the appliances it can replace, it's not a bad investment at $110 or so. I'd replace mine TODAY if it broke.

For me the appliance I most don't get (and didn't use when I had one) is a food processor. I just never wanted to dirty all those pieces to cut up an onion or two.

• Like 4

Instant Pot. I don't understand the love, but I've never been a fan of pressure cookers anyway (which is really all the IP is).

Those of you who don't understand electric can openers - Wait until you're older and using even the best, easiest, manual can opener causes pain. Dh has arthritis in his hands and even my hands hurt watching him try to use a manual can opener.

The Instant Pot is really quite a bit more than a pressure cooker. I mean I get that maybe everyone doesn't want to own one, but it isn't just a pressure cooker. It slow cooks, you can brown/sautĂƒÂ© directly in it before you slow cook (which is darn convenient), it's a rice cooker, it makes yogurt, AND it's a pressure cooker. I think it has a couple other functions too, which I haven't used, but I've used it for all of the above. It's my favorite kitchen gadget for sure.

I'm with whoever said crock pot.

I guess that's pretty controversial but I never found it as life changing as some people claim. It's still work to get the food in there and make it come out good and not like gross mush. And besides there's nothing a crock pot can do that my dutch oven pot can't do.

I didn't use a crock pot much when I had a wood stove.  If I wanted a long slow cook I just used the cooler part of the stove over night the dutch oven. 

I don't find with an electric or gas stove it works that well, even the lowest heat seems to be too hot for the same effect.  THe crock pot is the closest thing I've found for the long slow braise.  It's also cheaper and possibly safer than using the oven the same way.

Or the fridge with a camera, so you can pull up the app at the grocery store and have a peek in the fridge to see what's in there.    :huh:

Beats texting the spouse who happens to be home, and asking them to go look how many whatevers we have. And then again 5 minutes later for something else.

Some of us lack executive functioning skills, lol. But not to the tune of $$$$ - I'd *like* a fridge with that feature, but I'm not going to spend money for it (the fridge we got used for $250 9 years ago still works just fine).

• Like 2

I don't own a Vitamix blender or a Kitchenaid stand mixer but I can understand their appeal and why people rave about them. Instantpot or Insta-Pot I just don't "get". :confused1: I've got a slow cooker, an electric steamer, a yogurt maker, and years ago I had a hand-me-down pressure cooker that I used so little that when it broke I didn't bother to replace it. I just don't see what's so amazing about the Instantpot.

What are your "what am I missing here?" things?

I use my pressure cooker at least 3 times a week and have been using it for my entire adulthood.

I don't have a kichenaid mixer. I keep thinking getting one will turn me into an amazing baker, but I doubt it ;)

Vitamix gets moderate use

Citrus press gets daily use.

I got rid of my rice steamer several years ago. Same for popcorn maker. (I do it on the stove). I do have a food processor and use it probably 3Xs a year, but I have space to store it.  Same for my stand mixer.

I got this manual can opener: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/ez-duz-it-can-opener/?pkey=e%7Ccan%2Bopener%7C126%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C2&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH as a wedding present 12 years ago and it still works perfectly every time.

I have a pressure cooker but I'm terrified to use it as there are so many stories in my family about lids flying off and food going everywhere.  I need to look into the instapot because I'm back at work and cooking dinner has become tough.

Or the fridge with a camera, so you can pull up the app at the grocery store and have a peek in the fridge to see what's in there. :huh:

With my luck, there'd be a big pot of goulash or something in the way and you couldn't see diddly.

• Like 4

Microwaves - who wants soggy food?

Teflon pans - NEVER works as good as they claim. Flakes off in food.

Bread machines - I have yet to hear of one that works great every time.

Bags that have built in chargers for electrical devices - So you can't carry food and the bag magically stays clean??

This isn't a gadget but why are there rest stops in NH that sell alcohol?? Why do they think that is a good idea??

Oh that water device for a baby that wraps around a baby's neck and is filled with air. So then the baby floats there suspended by the head.  (Yes this exists... google it!)

The sign that says "braille menus available upon request" that are located in the drive through windows of fast food places. 

ETA - Open kitchens - I have a closed kitchen (European is what I call it) and it keeps the heat in there! Love it!

I have a IP. Use that thing at least once a week. I also have a Vitamix. I don't use it as much as I used to, but it is vital for being Paleo. I also have a KA mixer. That thing I think would make a great anchor for a boat. Yeah I hate that thing, but it works so I am dealing. Oh and I have a toaster oven. It is great for heating up things when you don't use your microwave and don't want to use the big oven. ;)

Edited by 3 ladybugs
  • Like 1

It's interesting to read all of these things together.

One of the principles that seems to be coming out of it is that sngle use items tend to be only worthwhile when they either do a job that can't be done another way without a lot of effort, or they get used a lot, or best of all, both of those things.

I have probably two items that follow that pattern, I have very little storage or counter space so I can't easily store larger items that don't get used.  They are the waffle maker, and the ice-cream maker.  We use the former fairly often, the latter less so but really enjoy it when we do.  And it is not easy to make waffles or tasty ice-cream without them.

• Like 2

Microwaves are really good for cooking crisp steamed veg.  If the veg is soggy, it's just been on too long.  I also use it for rewarming things like soups, where texture isn't the issue.  And warming milk for coffee and reheating neglected cups of tea.

• Like 6

I use our Vitamix almost daily, dh takes a protein shake to work. I use it to grind up freshly dried herbs in the summer & for a lot of other stuff.

Food processor I use when canning, makes short work of shredding cucumbers for relish & cutting up stuff for salsa. I use it for other stuff as well.

KA Mixer was my mom's & I use it almost daily in the winter when I do a lot more baking.

I want at Instant Pot, it will do so many things. Birthday or Christmas!

• Like 1

Bags that have built in chargers for electrical devices - So you can't carry food and the bag magically stays clean??

This isn't a gadget but why are there rest stops in NH that sell alcohol?? Why do they think that is a good idea??

Oh that water device for a baby that wraps around a baby's neck and is filled with air. So then the baby floats there suspended by the head.  (Yes this exists... google it!)

The sign that says "braille menus available upon request" that are located in the drive through windows of fast food places. 

ETA - Open kitchens - I have a closed kitchen (European is what I call it) and it keeps the heat in there! Love it!

I have a IP. Use that thing at least once a week. I also have a Vitamix. I don't use it as much as I used to, but it is vital for being Paleo. I also have a KA mixer. That thing I think would make a great anchor for a boat. Yeah I hate that thing, but it works so I am dealing. Oh and I have a toaster oven. It is great for heating up things when you don't use your microwave and don't want to use the big oven. ;)

Why do you need a Vitamix for being paleo?  I thought the idea was that it was trying to construct something more like a natural diet?

• Like 1

Dishwashers. 

Oh all right, I guess I can understand the appeal of not having to hand wash dishes every day. But I swear, every time I've gone to someone else's house where they use a dishwasher, I get told to just scrape any bits of food off the clean dishes because the dishwasher doesn't get them totally clean.  :ack2:  I'd rather wash them myself and get them clean.

You're lucky. My mom and stepdad just built a new house and have a brand new dishwasher, and even theirs leaves bits of food all over the dishes, even with my finicky stepdad loading it just so. I think maybe a lot of people just don't notice the food bits, but I have OCD and it's one of my things.

I call our dishwasher the sterilizer, because really that's the only reason I use it.  Absolutely everything has to be hand washed before we put it in.

Why do you need a Vitamix for being paleo?  I thought the idea was that it was trying to construct something more like a natural diet?

I guess you wouldn't need it if you were Whole 30 or something but if you eat ANY Paleoized food you need it. It is a must to make cashew cream, or other breads and such that use nuts and you need to get them to a creamy texture. 

I found out that I am not celiac, and I am allergic to cashews, pistachios and peanuts. My youngest has a dairy allergy. We went paleo when he was little because it was the easiest way to take out dairy (and I couldn't have peanuts). I did awful on it as I didn't know I was allergic to cashews. Now we are a blend of paleo and not paleo. DH needs to eat paleo for life, but I loose too much while on it. That is why my Vitamix isn't feeling the love. But I do use it to make some sauces every now and then. 

Here's how I do it:

Wash potatoes

Put potatoes in crock pot

Turn on crock pot

They turn out really good!

Ooh, I have to print out this recipe so I don't miss any steps. 

:lol:

• Like 3

There is no income or sales tax in NH, so the state needs to raise revenue somehow.  The liquor stores in NH are owned by the state as a source of revenue; you can't buy liquor (excluding beer & wine) in any other store in the state. 

For instance, in 1986 New Hampshire liquor industry revenue was $160 million.  Maine currently loses $30 million in liquor sales to NH each year, probably mostly from the Portsmouth store on Interstate 95.  Those big ones on Interstate 93 take in $40 million per year.

There are small local stores, but a lot of tourists pass those large ones on the highway and stop to pick up liquor for their vacation (skiing, camping, leaf peeping from B&B, etc.) or to bring home on the way back from vacation.  They aren't encouraging people to crack open the bottle as soon as they get back in the car.

So you can use the app that checks contents, log in from the store and look into your fridge to see what you need to buy.

I am not kidding.

I'm old school. I use a paper list. LOL

There is no income or sales tax in NH, so the state needs to raise revenue somehow.  The liquor stores in NH are owned by the state as a source of revenue; you can't buy liquor (excluding beer & wine) in any other store in the state. 

For instance, in 1986 New Hampshire liquor industry revenue was $160 million.  Maine currently loses $30 million in liquor sales to NH each year, probably mostly from the Portsmouth store on Interstate 95.  Those big ones on Interstate 93 take in $40 million per year.

There are small local stores, but a lot of tourists pass those large ones on the highway and stop to pick up liquor for their vacation (skiing, camping, leaf peeping from B&B, etc.) or to bring home on the way back from vacation.  They aren't encouraging people to crack open the bottle as soon as they get back in the car.

I am sorry, but as the daughter of an alcoholic, this is a TERRIBLE idea. I understand the state needs revenue but you should just do what Delaware does and tax the living daylights out of I-95 (what is that toll up to now? $15?) and tax a bit of I-93. That would do the same thing without saying to people that it is okay to drink and drive in your state. What is at your rest stops says something about you as a state. Florida hands out Orange Juice. New Jersey (where I am), we tax you heavily (though per mile not as bad as Delaware), however we also offer service areas so you can "Git outa' here!" quickly without getting off an exit and finding food, gas (that is at a lower tax rate then the surrounding states), and a restroom. 

I am sorry, but as the daughter of an alcoholic, this is a TERRIBLE idea. I understand the state needs revenue but you should just do what Delaware does and tax the living daylights out of I-95 (what is that toll up to now? $15?) and tax a bit of I-93. That would do the same thing without saying to people that it is okay to drink and drive in your state. What is at your rest stops says something about you as a state. Florida hands out Orange Juice. New Jersey (where I am), we tax you heavily (though per mile not as bad as Delaware), however we also offer service areas so you can "Git outa' here!" quickly without getting off an exit and finding food, gas (that is at a lower tax rate then the surrounding states), and a restroom. 

It's not a rest stop.  It's a state liquor store with a gas station and restaurants.  We have rest stops that don't have any amenities other than bathrooms.  People can buy alcohol anywhere and still know that it is illegal to drink and drive.

I am also the daughter of an alcoholic, and I'm very sure that liquor stores in places convenient to traveling tourists are not the cause of the alcoholism.

Edited by Amy in NH

Well, the Instant Pot is awesome because it is MANY appliances in one and I love that the interior is heavy stainless (no Teflon, no breakable crock, etc.). I got rid of my crock pot and rice cooker, and am also able to use this to make yogurt (I didn't have a yogurt maker, but wanted to make yogurt so this is great for me). In addition, it's a pressure cooker, which I also didn't have and never thought I would use, but I LOVE it! I also like that I can sautĂƒÂ© directly in it before I start cooking, so if I needed to brown ground meat for a slow cooker recipe, I can do it right in the Instant pot, then throw everything else in (only one dirty item). It is honestly one of the best kitchen appliances I've ever bought. Also, when you think of the cost of it versus the cost of all the appliances it can replace, it's not a bad investment at $110 or so. I'd replace mine TODAY if it broke.

I get the pressure cooker part - but couldn't one do all the other things in a regular pot? 

I get the pressure cooker part - but couldn't one do all the other things in a regular pot?

I have a new instant pot. So far, I appreciate cooking dried beans faster and making perfect risotto without constant vigilance. On Thursday I am going to slow cook a lamb shoulder with anchovy and garlic while I am at work. And rice is just much better if it slowly absorbs the correct amount of water, and I appreciate that it does that and doesn't burn.

The convenience of the saute is that you don't need to do that separately from using a slow or pressure cooker, so less washing up.

Edited by Laura Corin