Menu

Fun Thread: What Gadgets/Appliances Do You Just Not Understand the Love For?

Crimson Wife

It is fascinating to see what people love and hate and how we are all different in what we can/can't live without.

Toaster oven-I was sad when ours broke over a decade ago. I never replaced it because I could never find one I liked as much as the old one. At the time mine broke the super large toaster oven was all the rage and I didn't want to take up all that counter space. I loved that I could reheat a slice of pizza or bake a potato just for me without having to heat up the oven.

Rice cooker - loved it. I could set it up before I left for work and come home to perfect rice with enough left over to use for the next day. I replaced my rice cooker with a vitaclay. I love my vitaclay.

Quesidilla maker - I used to think this was a ridiculous item. It is not that hard to make one in the stove. However, my MIL bought one for me last year when I said I would like a tortilla press because I wanted to try making my own tortillas. In her head, I clearly meant a quesidilla maker because why would anyone make their own tortillas. My daughter insisted on trying it out. She loves that it toasts the edges sealed and makes the marks for perfect triangle slices. If you like an overstuffed quesidilla it is useless.

Garlic press - I love my pampered chef garlic press because I don't have to peel the garlic. Sometimes I just want to crush 2 cloves of garlic and move on with my recipe.

• Like 1

DH periodically buys me a garlic press, and I always end up putting it away. I do have a garlic peeler that I use when I need to do a lot of garlic cloves, but it's so fast to cut one in half, peel it, smash it, and chop it up when you just need one or two. Same with all of the "tools" for cutting up things when you can. I'd rather just use my knife. Even when we're doing applesauce, I'd rather just peel and cut the apples by hand.

The instant pot doesn't interest me at all. 

I do prefer stews and such in my dutch oven, but I own four crock pots. I work afternoons, so it's so nice to have dinner in the crock. Sometimes I have two going at once. My college kid takes evening classes and has to be at work sometimes at 6pm, so it's nice that he get his stew or soup early before the rest of the family eats.

I love my rice cooker too. I sometimes even put it on a timer so we can have what is in the crock pot over rice. All I have to do is make a salad, and dinner is ready.

Edited by G5052

I love garlic. The husband can't eat it. So a garlic press is sort of a waste here for anything he is going to eat. So I get the garlic press hate.

But I LOVE my gatlic peeler. It is PC and just this little rubber tube. I can peel 5 cloves, throw them into something and then pick out 5 cloves. If I was cutting it, or could smash it, the peeler would be a waste. But since I need them whole it is awesome.

Edited by Renthead Mommy

I love garlic. The husband can't eat it. So a garlic press is sort of a waste here for anything he is going to eat. So I get the garlic press hate.

But I LOVE my gatlic peeler. It is PC and just this little rubber tube. I can peel 5 cloves, throw them into something and then pick out 5 cloves. If I was cutting it, or could smash it, the peeler would be a waste. But since I need them whole it is awesome.

I've always wondered if these work well.  I may have to try one.  I go through a lot of garlic - yesterday I made a sauce that used a whole head which isn't unusual for me - and I hate peeling the stuff.  One clove or so is no big deal, but a whole head drives me a little crazy.

• Like 1

Instant Pot. I don't understand the love, but I've never been a fan of pressure cookers anyway (which is really all the IP is).

Those of you who don't understand electric can openers - Wait until you're older and using even the best, easiest, manual can opener causes pain. Dh has arthritis in his hands and even my hands hurt watching him try to use a manual can opener.

And for those of us who are very dominantly lefties, an electric opener that pushes down from the top like this one

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Smooth-Touch-Can-Opener/5924593

allows us to open cans without begging a child for help.

And for those of us who are very dominantly lefties, an electric opener that pushes down from the top like this one

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beach-Smooth-Touch-Can-Opener/5924593

allows us to open cans without begging a child for help.

Ooh! I haven't seen that. Even though we got the electric can opener for dh I'm the one who opens most of the cans around here. And I'm a very dominant lefty..

The yogurt maker I used frequently until we went mostly dairy-free. I've tried several recipes but have yet to figure out how to make a decent homemade yogurt with non-dairy milk. I should probably get rid of it but we have the storage space and I've been burned before by giving away appliances that I thought I no longer needed only to regret it later (breadmaker, I'm looking at you!)

I have a bread maker you can have.

I got it at a church rummage sale.

I had great intentions but have never used it.  

I've always wondered if these work well. I may have to try one. I go through a lot of garlic - yesterday I made a sauce that used a whole head which isn't unusual for me - and I hate peeling the stuff. One clove or so is no big deal, but a whole head drives me a little crazy.

They work very well. Rolls the paper right off the cloves. And unless you are pushing down hard on it, it does not crush or break the garlic.

I love the taste of garlic. Straight cooked/roasted garlic. That is why I love this thing. If I had to crush the cloves to get the paper off, it would season the food too much for my husband. With this we get the best of both worlds. And I am protected from Vampires....

• Like 1

Rice cooker - Either I'm really good at making rice come out right every time, or I'm not as picky about it having a very specific texture.  But a pot and a measuring cup turns out great rice for me, and it's really not much work.

Food processor, pressure cooker, stand mixer, conventional blender 

I guess I understand why people might love them, but in the end I just don't see how they could be worth the space they take up.  And all but the stand mixer seem like they would be a pain to wash.

Keurig - I use it at my in-laws' house, and I admit they're convenient, but you can't make the coffee (or tea) strong enough for me.  It comes out tasting like water.  I love my programmable electric kettle + Aeropress method.  Quick and delicious, and easy enough for me.

I do have and love:

-Crock pot

-Programmable electric kettle

-Bread machine

-Grain mill

-Mandolin slicer (but I admit it's a pain to wash)

-Immersion blender

-Tortilla press (non-electric)

-Dishwasher, microwave

I'm on the fence about my toaster oven.  I put it in storage recently to save counter space, and I admit I miss it.  Now I can't make cheese toast without firing up the oven, and that just doesn't seem worth it.  Anyway, I think I like having the counterspace a tiny bit better... but I still miss my cheese toast.