Menu

Fun Thread: What Gadgets/Appliances Do You Just Not Understand the Love For?

Crimson Wife

I don't own a Vitamix blender or a Kitchenaid stand mixer but I can understand their appeal and why people rave about them. Instantpot or Insta-Pot I just don't "get". :confused1: I've got a slow cooker, an electric steamer, a yogurt maker, and years ago I had a hand-me-down pressure cooker that I used so little that when it broke I didn't bother to replace it. I just don't see what's so amazing about the Instantpot.

What are your "what am I missing here?" things?

Edited by Crimson Wife
  • Like 1

Alexa/Echo

We have one, but it's pretty much me running late yelling, "Alexa, what time is it?!" :lol: I add things to the grocery shopping list but it's me getting irritated saying, "Alexa, add potatoes to the shopping list. *takes a breath* "Alexa, add bread to the shopping list." If I'm going to sit in front of the PC to add things then I might as well print my own shopping list! Okay Ok I know, I can refer to it on the app while I'm in the store so I don't have to hold a piece of paper. But do you know how often my phone dies while I'm out? I prefer not to rely on apps or phone signals.

ETA: Dh usually does the grocery shopping and prefers I add it to Alexa vs. texting him. And yes, somewhere I have a thing to charge my phone while I'm inside stores but I can only find the huge device we own. My phone dies quickly when I'm using Shopkick.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

rice cooker

electric can opener

single use gadgets whose action can be accomplished with a knife

in sink garbage disposal

I understand the theoretical appeal of slow cookers, but cannot imagine it really saving any time, since I'd still have to chop and prep, and the thought of eating something that has cooked all day (except for stew) is not particularly appealing to me. 

ETA: I don't get the appeal of a pressure cooker either. Most things I make take very little time, so I can't imagine the savings would be worth having an additional device to clean and store.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

My old crockpot died, and I never bothered to replace it until the InstantPot became all the rage.  I have a rice cooker that I rarely use, and a steamer that I rarely use as well.  I don't have a lot of counter space, so single-use appliances aren't very useful to me; they get shoved into a cabinet and not taken out often.  Otoh, the IP does multiple things, so it earns more counter real estate.  I like it because I can sear meat and then cook it all in one pot.  I used to use my cast iron dutch oven for that, from stove to oven, but DH doesn't want me leaving the big oven on if I'm not home, whereas he's okay with me doing that with the IP (not that I've done it much yet).  Fewer dishes to wash is always a plus in my book, especially since the IP goes in the dishwasher, and my cast iron does not.  Plus, no concerns about lead. ;)  Probably my favorite thing about the IP is oatmeal, though.  With several small children, my mornings are busy, and with traditional oatmeal, I have to wait for the water to boil, then add the oats, and neither interval is long enough for me to shower.  But I can set the IP up and have oatmeal ready when I'm done with my shower.  I also like it for boiling chicken for shredding because I don't have to worry about it boiling over on my stove.

I don't get a food processor.  Maybe because I've never used one?  Well, someone gave us a mini one, and it wasn't worth the trouble.  By the time I chopped everything into pieces small enough to fit in the mini processor, and then took it apart to clean it, I might as well have just chopped everything by hand.  Did not save me time.

I also don't get Alexa.  I did recently acquire an iPhone, so now I have Siri.  I like Siri for when I'm in the car and remember that I need to add something to a grocery list because I can do that without looking at the screen.  My children like to make Siri set timers, which I think is silly because it takes forever to get it just right.  They might as well just call up the timer manually (which is available on the lock screen, so it's not like using Siri to do it bypasses my code).

• Like 1

I don't get the appeal of most kitchen gadgets. I have a crock pot, a small hand mixer, a GF grill and a quesadilla maker. And that's the extent of it. The quesadilla maker is getting rehomed to DS's apartment next week.

I think the Instapot craze is kinda funny. Rename a pressure cooker and all of a sudden it's popular. :lol:

• Like 2

Juicers.  Because veggie juice tastes nasty and juicers are very expensive and so hard to clean that in my world they would not be used.  Except citrus juicers, which are a subset that is easy to use and clean with a great product at the end.

Asparagus vertical steamers.  Because once it's a bit limp asparagus needs support.  Plus you can't use them for anything else, and who has that much asparagus?

Metal corn on the cob eaters.  Because they cleverly transmit the heat from the cob DIRECTLY to your hand, burning it.  So you have to wrap them in napkins anyway.

Thin pot holders that you can get burned through.  Uh, no.

One size fits all pantyhose.  Because it doesn't.

• Like 3

I don't get a food processor.  Maybe because I've never used one?  Well, someone gave us a mini one, and it wasn't worth the trouble.  By the time I chopped everything into pieces small enough to fit in the mini processor, and then took it apart to clean it, I might as well have just chopped everything by hand.  Did not save me time.

I don't use mine often, but for some things, it definitely beats grating by hand.

Latkes, for example. I've done it by grating potatoes by hand, and usually end up with bloody knuckles.

Or bread crumbs. It's a pain to grate large quantities of hard bread.

Also, for hummus and similar thick dips, I don't see an alternative tool that would accomplish the same. Passing it through a mesh strainer maybe? Sounds like a big pain.

I hate electric can openers. No canned food is worth that noise.

I don't get the love for computers that listen to your voice, mostly because I've never seen one that's good at it. DS loves to trick DH's gps.

My favorite crock-pot recipe is plain whole sweet potatoes, so it's worthwhile to keep the CP just for that IMO, & not heat up the oven for a couple of hours in the afternoon

I'd be so happy if TVs in public places were not a thing.

• Like 3

I don't have a need for small kitchen appliances besides:

Coffee maker

Electric tea kettle (because I often don't have a spare stovetop burner for a regular one.)

Stand mixer

Electric Toaster

Food Processor

We have been given and have then given away:

Yogurt maker

Bread machine (prefer to make it and bake it myself)

Blender (I can use the food processor and we don't do smoothies much)

Rice cooker (which is actually something I can see wanting if we ate rice on the daily but we don't and I have a knack for getting it right on the stovetop.)

Vegetable steamer (I have a range and we prefer just using a steamer basket on the stove or cooking veggies different ways)

Sandwich grill thingy (I have pans that I can grill a sandwich in just fine.)

Deep fat fryer (the few things I fry can be done easily in a deep pan.)

Juicer (ha ha ha)

Egg poacher (I'll just fry or poach them myself).

We also have an electric ice cream maker, another gift, which we don't need or use much but I keep it because my sons like to use it occasionally. We also have a crockpot that isn't lately getting much use stashed in the closet in our unused third bedroom, next to the ice cream maker.

I only keep the stand mixer and the coffee maker out. The kettle, toaster and food processor need to be put away after each use. I'd do that with the stand mixer too but it's so tall there is actually no place to put it except for the counter top.

I can see how most anything could be useful to someone. The thing I probably have the lowest opinion of is the bread machine. It's just not the same as baking it in the oven and I find kneading dough to be relaxing.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

MIL got us a ceramic garlic grater set last Christmas. It is definitely as waste of space as far as I am concerned, given the other tools I could already use. Plus, as we have been telling her for the last few years, we do not use garlic AT ALL, because DH gets severe migraines from it.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Innovations-Ceramic-Grater-Plate/dp/B001BOBZSU

The year before, she got us a french fry slicer, which takes up a whole shelf in my tiny kitchen. (Ok, it formerly took up a whole shelf, because I finally tossed it.) 

Many years ago, we got a bagel slicer from her. She mentioned that a huge number of emergency room visits are related to bagel-slicing accidents. I actually tried the slicer, but the bagel was too fat to go in the slot. So I had to slice off a third of it in order to slice the rest of it in half. Very useful, thank you!

She is always giving us single-use kitchen crap from deep-discount stores. What is extra annoying about the continuous stream of gadgets is her constant criticism that I have too much stuff.

• Like 2

I'm with happypamama on food processors. I know some people give them a permanent home on the counter, but I've gone so long without one I can't rationalize it. My KitchenAid can do a lot of that anyway (blush)

I don't have a crock pot either, do that us a bit if a mystery.

I DO have an immersion blender, but really it is only used for soup, so that might be one I don't get (and can't give away without causing offense).

Oh gosh, I love my:

Rice maker (15 years old and still use it 3xs week)

Instant Pot (cook in 20 min, dump and cook, dinner!)

Espresso machine (use it daily)

The following I use so rarely that I can take or leave them:

KitchenAid stand mixer

Food Processor

Roaster

Crock Pot

Waffle maker

But I "get" why many people like various things, I just don't have a need for them.

I don't use mine often, but for some things, it definitely beats grating by hand.

Latkes, for example. I've done it by grating potatoes by hand, and usually end up with bloody knuckles.

Or bread crumbs. It's a pain to grate large quantities of hard bread.

Also, for hummus and similar thick dips, I don't see an alternative tool that would accomplish the same. Passing it through a mesh strainer maybe? Sounds like a big pain.

Same. I seriously doubt that without my food processor I would make any of the following very often:

Salsa

Pesto

Hummus

Homemade BBQ sauce

Potato pancakes (oh so much grated potato)

Or anything that required more than a little grated cheese.

Yet, we eat all of those things, a lot of the time.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

Instant Pot. I don't understand the love, but I've never been a fan of pressure cookers anyway (which is really all the IP is).

Those of you who don't understand electric can openers - Wait until you're older and using even the best, easiest, manual can opener causes pain. Dh has arthritis in his hands and even my hands hurt watching him try to use a manual can opener.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

I told DH I wanted a food processor, but I don't really know what I'd use it for. I definitely don't make any of the things regentrude uses hers for.

DH & I both laughed at the Instapot craze as we don't see the use it would be put to in our house. Friends have mentioned the things they use it for everyday, but we don't make those things or how we make them now is perfectly fine. Our refried beans come out of a can and only DH eats them. My kids wouldn't eat the homemade mac&cheese one friend makes in it. My kitchen doesn't have the counterspace to waste on stuff we won't use a LOT.

DH is my rice cooker. Comes out perfectly every time (he makes it). If I didn't have him, I probably wouldn't eat rice.

Instant Pot. I don't understand the love, but I've never been a fan of pressure cookers anyway (which is really all the IP is).

Those of you who don't understand electric can openers - Wait until you're older and using even the best, easiest, manual can opener causes pain. Dh has arthritis in his hands in his hands and even my hands hurt watching him try to use a manual can opener.

I see why they are useful but I can't ever get the things to work for me. I've tried and every time I am cooking at a friend or family members house and they have one, I end up needing to have my husband or them open any cans. I swear I am not stupid, really. :P

• Like 2

I don't get a food processor. Maybe because I've never used one? Well, someone gave us a mini one, and it wasn't worth the trouble. By the time I chopped everything into pieces small enough to fit in the mini processor, and then took it apart to clean it, I might as well have just chopped everything by hand. Did not save me time.

If I had a mini one, I wouldn't have seen the use either. Ours is one of those huge 14 cup Cuisinart ones that my dad passed on to me when he was moving into a senior studio and downsizing his kitchen and we had a growing family. I was skeptical- my dad got it after I moved out and so I hadn't learned to cook with it. Then I grated 2 pounds of cheese in 2 minutes and was sold. Also I can make huge batches of things that would just take a really long time and be very fiddley by hand- pesto, smoother salsa, hummus.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2

Dishwashers. 

Oh all right, I guess I can understand the appeal of not having to hand wash dishes every day. But I swear, every time I've gone to someone else's house where they use a dishwasher, I get told to just scrape any bits of food off the clean dishes because the dishwasher doesn't get them totally clean.  :ack2:  I'd rather wash them myself and get them clean.

• Like 6

Toaster oven.

I have an oven. Why would I give all that counter space to another, smaller oven?? But, my BFF lives hers. As in, ran to WM to replace one that broke minutes before.

• Like 1

Re: electric can opener. I feel stupid when I try to use my MIL's! I suck at it! Like I try to get the can attached and I screw it up. We use one of those OXO can openers. Well, we've ordered the same/similar style a few times (lost one, one was a gift) so who knows which one is in our drawer. I don't know how it does for people with arthritis, though. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004OCMM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Toaster oven.

I have an oven. Why would I give all that counter space to another, smaller oven?? But, my BFF lives hers. As in, ran to WM to replace one that broke minutes before.

We went years without a microwave. We used the toaster over for everything. Now we have a microwave, but I don't want to heat up a huge appliance to do a small job like heat frozen chicken patties (not very good from a microwave). We don't have the counter space, either. We managed to somehow fit a microwave stand in here. It has two shelves. One with the microwave and one with the toaster oven. I put the toaster oven on top because I was afraid of the heat trying to escape in a compact space. It's not a perfect system but I don't have to preheat and I figure it probably makes the kitchen hotter if I use the big oven. I can totally see not using/wanting a toaster oven depending on the types of foods you reheat or the frequency of use.

Those of you who don't understand electric can openers - Wait until you're older and using even the best, easiest, manual can opener causes pain. Dh has arthritis in his hands and even my hands hurt watching him try to use a manual can opener.

I am sorry about your DH - but how many cans do people use?

I open a can maybe once or twice a month. 

Dishwashers. 

Oh all right, I guess I can understand the appeal of not having to hand wash dishes every day. But I swear, every time I've gone to someone else's house where they use a dishwasher, I get told to just scrape any bits of food off the clean dishes because the dishwasher doesn't get them totally clean.  :ack2:  I'd rather wash them myself and get them clean.

Weird. Never happened to me anywhere.

The best thing about the dishwasher, however, is not that it washes dishes - but that it is a place where you can stash them out of sight right after the meal :)

• Like 5

Weird. Never happened to me anywhere.

The best thing about the dishwasher, however, is not that it washes dishes - but that it is a place where you can stash them out of sight right after the meal :)

You're lucky. My mom and stepdad just built a new house and have a brand new dishwasher, and even theirs leaves bits of food all over the dishes, even with my finicky stepdad loading it just so. I think maybe a lot of people just don't notice the food bits, but I have OCD and it's one of my things.

Microwave - I have in my last three homes lacked counter space and couldn't justify one.  I've never missed it at all.

Rice cooker - pot work just fine, I don't have an issue wth overcooking, it smells a particular way when it i ready even though I don't set a timer.

Garlic press - sems very single use. If I want garlic really pulverised I use my kitchen rasp which has a lot of other jobs too.

• Like 1

Had a rice cooker, but we gave it away and just cook rice on the stove. 

I don't see regular toasters, but use our toaster oven regularly. Much easier to toast sandwiches or make cheese toast in a toaster oven. ;) I'd be lost without my microwave for defrosting.

Stand mixer---I don't do much baking, and have found that hand mixing or using a hand-held works fine for what I do.

I'd love to have a dishwasher again (ours has been broken for two years). My husband doesn't want to replace it because he finds washing dishes relaxing, so I have told him I wouldn't dream of getting in the way of his relaxation.

Agree on Keurigs, but I also don't drink coffee. A pot of water on the stove works fine to heat the water for my iced tea.

Others: juicers, Foreman grills, waffle irons, deep fryers

• Like 1

Many years ago, we got a bagel slicer from her. She mentioned that a huge number of emergency room visits are related to bagel-slicing accidents. I actually tried the slicer, but the bagel was too fat to go in the slot. So I had to slice off a third of it in order to slice the rest of it in half. Very useful, thank you!

Apparently frozen bagels are the main reason for the 2000 bagel-cut ER visits per year:

http://newyorkerbagels.com/bagel-safety-dont-be-an-er-statistic/

I hate any thawed bread, so I guess I won't really have to worry.

Toaster oven.

The toaster oven preheats very quickly. Like, I'll turn it on (with turbo convection), throw the food in 60 seconds later, and it turns out fine. I just need to make sure to use the 'oven' instructions on food, because if I use the 'toaster oven' instructions the food will be overcooked/burnt/etc. It's almost as good as an oven (the main downside being it's smaller size - it fits one frozen pizza, but that's it). That said, I hate the counter space it takes up - but our actual oven is broken and unlikely to be replaced while we live here.

Back to the original question: banana slicers. Even toddlers can use a butter knife to slice bananas, so I really don't see a point unless you have to slice tons of bananas on a regular basis. Likewise, similar things for apples. While toddlers can't safely slice those, pushing down hard on an apple with something to slice it doesn't seem safe to me either (the whole "sharp knives are often safer than blunt knives" etc thing).

Dishwashers.

Oh all right, I guess I can understand the appeal of not having to hand wash dishes every day. But I swear, every time I've gone to someone else's house where they use a dishwasher, I get told to just scrape any bits of food off the clean dishes because the dishwasher doesn't get them totally clean. :ack2: I'd rather wash them myself and get them clean.

Methinks their DW must not be very good. Blech! I love having a dishwasher because washing all the plates and everything a million times a day got so old.

• Like 2

Methinks their DW must not be very good. Blech! I love having a dishwasher because washing all the plates and everything a million times a day got so old.

I think I'm just more picky about my dishes than most people. ;)

Of course, I only have one kid, so it's not too difficult for me to wash the dishes by hand because we don't dirty very many. I'd probably feel very differently if I had a large family and the dishes took me three hours or something. 

Rice cooker and instant pot. I have found that once my rice/water comes to a boil I can turn the heat off and it will finish cooking without any problem.  As for an instant pot, I *almost* bought one because everyone was singing its praises. But I saw one and balked at the size...and faced the truth that I have plenty of time to cook dinner. A new gadget isn't going to make it more fun for me.   When the kids were little and time was more scarce, I probably could have used one. Now, not so much. 

Juicers.  Because veggie juice tastes nasty and juicers are very expensive and so hard to clean that in my world they would not be used.  Except citrus juicers, which are a subset that is easy to use and clean with a great product at the end.

Asparagus vertical steamers.  Because once it's a bit limp asparagus needs support.  Plus you can't use them for anything else, and who has that much asparagus?

Metal corn on the cob eaters.  Because they cleverly transmit the heat from the cob DIRECTLY to your hand, burning it.  So you have to wrap them in napkins anyway.

Thin pot holders that you can get burned through.  Uh, no.

One size fits all pantyhose.  Because it doesn't.

We have that much asparagus, but don't like it steamed.  My mom used to boil it - yuck.

Agree with the rest.

• Like 1

My "I don't need/want/use" list

electric can opener

bread machine

quesadilla maker

instant pot

coffee maker

Things I own/want/use but other people may not want/use

Kitchen Aid stand mixer

crock pot

garlic press

food processor (use once or twice a month, but still it would be hard to do some things like pie crust without it)

blender

toaster

rice maker (Malaysian SIL couldn't believe I didn't have one and bought me one)

waffle maker

Cuisinart griddler

digital thermometer

Years ago had an electric can opener.  It went out and I went to a manual.  When it messed up I bought another manual, then another and another.  Seems like they would work for a little while, some longer than others but recently they would only last a couple weeks.  Expensive ones, cheap ones, didn't matter all the same.  I don't open that many cans but geez. Gave up and bought a cheap electric one.  It will probably go out next time I use it but for now I have enjoyed opening cans without taking forever and hurting myself.

Had a toaster oven because someone said it would be better than heating up the oven.  Rarely used it.  A lady I worked with her oven went out and she was trying to scrape together money for a toaster oven then was going to save for a new oven.  I gave her my toaster oven. 

My grandmother had a toaster oven similar to this (just flat pan no rack) https://www.popscreen.com/prod/MTgyNDU0MTE4/Vintage-Presto-Toaster-Broiler-Oven-Unused-Retro-Awesome. It  was old but she used it often, mostly for toasting bread or making a toasted cheese sandwich.

I think I'm just more picky about my dishes than most people. ;)

Of course, I only have one kid, so it's not too difficult for me to wash the dishes by hand because we don't dirty very many. I'd probably feel very differently if I had a large family and the dishes took me three hours or something.

Same here, can't stand the dishwasher. We have 5 kids, always do our dishes by hand

I had actually been wanting a pressure cooker for a long time, but didn't know of a reputable brand.  The fact that people have been raving about the brand, and there are all these wonderful recipes out there, just sealed the deal when the price was right.  And now I see that I can use it as a slow cooker/rice cooker/yogurt maker, so I don't need to get any of those gadgets in the future.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's considered an app or just an online game... I sure don't get all the craziness about the new Pokemon game.

Appliances:

Quesadilla maker, single pancake maker, diaper genie... can't think more. I'm sure a lot more...lots of stuff out there that I definitely don't want

• Like 1

I didn't even know that an asparagus steamer or a banana slicer existed, LOL!

I do love my food processor, toaster oven, and Crock-Pot but their utility really depends on what people make on a regular basis.

The Keurig I used to use all the time until budget pressures made the K-cups too pricey for anything other than entertaining guests. It's the norm in our social circle wrt entertaining so I am glad that I have it even if for daily use I stick with the French press.

My Bosch dishwasher has been a big disappointment in terms of leaving food residue. I have to run the regular cycle, clean out the arms, and then do a separate "rinse" cycle and even then it may or may not get them clean. However, my previous dishwasher did not have this issue and my friends and relatives who have a top-of-the-line Bosch don't.

Years ago had an electric can opener. It went out and I went to a manual. When it messed up I bought another manual, then another and another. Seems like they would work for a little while, some longer than others but recently they would only last a couple weeks. Expensive ones, cheap ones, didn't matter all the same. I don't open that many cans but geez. Gave up and bought a cheap electric one. It will probably go out next time I use it but for now I have enjoyed opening cans without taking forever and hurting myself.

Had a toaster oven because someone said it would be better than heating up the oven. Rarely used it. A lady I worked with her oven went out and she was trying to scrape together money for a toaster oven then was going to save for a new oven. I gave her my toaster oven.

My grandmother had a toaster oven similar to this (just flat pan no rack) https://www.popscreen.com/prod/MTgyNDU0MTE4/Vintage-Presto-Toaster-Broiler-Oven-Unused-Retro-Awesome. It was old but she used it often, mostly for toasting bread or making a toasted cheese sandwich.

New manual can openers do suck. I bought an old heavy one from the 70s or 80s at a thrift store for a dollar and that problem was solved.

• Like 1