Menu

Scariest movie?

Chris in VA

1. The Exorcist

2. Carrie

3. Amityville Horror

My mom took us to every, single, horror movie, even at a young age. I don't like scary movies and haven't seen one since I left home 27 years ago.

Edited by MelAR05

Exorcist  my much older sister showed to me when I was like 4 and when it was over that you could become possessed just by watching it.  I was terrified for weeks slept on my parents floor holding a bible.  I love horror movies now and that is a favorite.  I would say the most disturbing movie I have seen as an adult is Splice.

I used to love scary movies. Somehow I ended up watching It (the clown movie!) by myself when I was a kid. It totally freaked me out. But I liked it.

Then about 12 years ago we watched The Grudge. Oh mylanta!  I have never been so freaked out.  The whole movie was just terrifying. I was afraid to walk under the opening to our attic for YEARS! You see, (spoiler alert) usually after a scary movie you can hide under the blankets where you're safe. Not in The Grudge. There's a scene where this thing appears under the covers with the girl hiding. I NO LONGER HAVE A SAFE SPACE!!

I couldn't believe how many of my 5th grade students at the time mentioned they'd seen it. 

When I was a kid, I watched Psycho one 4th of July because it was on TV and I was afraid of fireworks. I had no idea what it was about, but that movie scared the crap out of me. I couldn't take showers for years, only baths, and still to this day I'm constantly peeping out from behind the shower curtain about 10 times while I'm in there. I have no idea if it would scare me today because I am NOT watching it again.

I am also a big chicken though so stuff like The Labyrinth, Never Ending Story, and Gremlins freaked me out as a kid.

• Like 3

I grew up on all kinds of horror, and horror/sci fi are pretty much the only genres I ever watch. It is one of the few traditions I continued with my daughter and I'm just not going to apologize for it. We both turned out mostly fine :p

HOWEVER, we did talk a great deal before and after nearly every movie about movie making, psychology, acting, and stuff, in addition to supernatural whatnot, or violence, or whatever the movie contained. So I didn't just make her watch Little Girl Dies in Her Sleep, then send her off to bed :p

That said, I thought that the first 2/3 of Silent Hill did an excellent job of creating some serious physical tension. We saw it in the theater and it was great. Dd was probably 11, or so.

I also really liked Hostel, which I didn't consider horror, but had too much plot to be torture p*rn.

But the scariest movie I have ever seen was Bug. Spoiler, but watching the woman get drawn into the man's madness was absolutely plausible and absolutely terrifying. It could happen to anybody under the circumstances. I mean, all those people followed Jim Jones, right? But a sad, lonely woman is something *I* could be, my XH suffered from paranoid delusions, and to me, the movie was terrifying.

1. The Shining - Scary because of the sense of loneliness from being stuck in a huge, empty, haunted hotel with no where to go all winter while husband descends into the depths of madness.

2. It - Scary because I watched it way too young and of course the clown.

3. The Others - Scary because of the shocking scenes from the Book of the Dead.

4. The Ring - Scary because of the intense imagery. The way the girl moves is so grotesque.

I hope my daughter doesn't enjoy scary movies as much as I do.

What is the scariest movie you have ever seen? Why was it scary? What sort of scares are there init? (Psychological, sudden jump-outs,gore,etc.)

Lastly, if it is one from your childhood or teenhood, do you think you would still find it scary today?

Oh, and one more question...What age would your child have to be to watch it, if you would let them?

No one does horror like the Japanese film industry. They have a mix of everything- blood, gore, suspense... My favorites are:

The Grudge ( Japanese: Ju-On: The grudge)

The Ring (Japanese: Ring)

And the all time classic:

The exorcist (the original)..couldn't sleep for days when I watched it for the first time. I must've been about 10 or so. :blush:

I used to watch Horror movies all the time and they never bothered me. After my first child was born, my DH & I watched The Ring. It really affected me. I did watch I am Legend and World War Z but they weren't scary to me. I can't even watch the trailers or commercials for scary movies now. I always close my eyes and plug up my ears until they are over.

As a kid, I found the Jason movies really scary.  I still have a hard time walking around a campsite at night because of that.  Same with Jaws - I can't swim in really deep water.  I get totally freaked out.  Doesn't matter if it's a fresh water lake with no chance of sharks.

The scariest movies I've seen as an adult are:

1. White Noise - dh and I were both totally freaked out by that one.

2. Taken - the original one.  I didn't find the other ones as scary, but the first one was very scary.  

3. Saw - I don't even know why I watched it but I avoided the sequels.  

These 3 are the only scary/horror movies I've watched. 

1. The Birds - whenever I see lots of birds on wires it still creeps me out.  :-)

2. Creepshow 

3. Carrie - I had always wanted to see what it was about and it was on tv one night so I watched it and it scared the livin' daylights out of me.  I never watch another horror movie.

Something Wicked This Way Comes was kind of pushed as a scary movie when it came out, but I really didn't find it so.  I'd like to watch it again and maybe read the story as well since it has been a really long time (think video cassettes).   I had forgotten it was written by Ray Bradbury.

• Like 1

The Shining! I will never watch another scary movie again.

Yes, yes, yes and I kept leaving the room--so I didn't even see it all. I was 15 when I saw it and have NEVER watched another scarey movie. Scenes from it still haunt me.

I guess I'd let my kids see it in high school if they insisted. But I would tell them why I didn't want them to for sure.

• Like 1

The Birds--to this day when more than a few birds are gathered, I feel a little freaked out

The Shining--just very scary

Planet of the Apes movies because I think they can really happen

I hated, hated, hated, Planet of the Apes.  I saw it as a kid, while I was in the hospital, and it really creeped me out.  It seemed too real.  Even now, if I watch the original, it gives me the creeps.  

I've never seen the Shining, the commercials scared me.  The Birds did freak me out.  I find psychological stuff scarier than other types of movies.  It's the tension and reality factor that get me.  If it seems to unreal I'm not fazed.  

I can read Stephen King, but I won't watch any of his books turned movie/tv.  

I don't watch too many scary movies now.  I did just watch Ex Machina, which was billed as a techno-thriller, but I wouldn't say it was.  It was a bit creepy, but not too much. Though I admit it gave me nightmares.  :lol:

I did find Poltergeist scary when I was younger, but I've watched it since and now I laugh.  I enjoy that movie. :D 

I do enjoy scary/campy and love me some Sammy and Dean :laugh:  (Supernatural) and if I have free time and it's on I'll watch Buffy or Charmed. 

I found The Lost Boys terrifying when I was 10. Nothing has really compared to that since then, though I enjoy watching supernatural horror and psychological thrillers. I think the psychological ones are actually a bit scarier to me. Brotherman is 12, so old enough I guess, but he is a bit sensitive and has no interest in such things. I do think it would have been better for me as a child to have waited until I was older to see scary movies. And read scary books. Stephen King books are amazing, but seriously I did not need some of that stuff in my head in middle school.

Slasher flicks are a bit too much for me, so I can't speak to those.

I think The Shining is intense and scary but the book is way scarier. I still remember where I was sitting when I read part of it and I was scared to look around in case I wasn't alone .....

Pet Semetary is beyond the pale for me. Even the plot ** spoilers ** the isolated old cemetery resurrects pets buried there, but the pets come back wrong . Then the family's preschool son dies in an accident and ... you can guess the rest. I'll watch The Exorcist cheerfully to avoid seeing that again.

The Hill have Eyes was freaky-ish.

That movie scared the crud out of me! Because it wasn't witches or aliens, it was things that could maybe sort of happen. I actually called my boyfriend (now husband) while I was walking out to my car because I was scared to leave the theater by myself. UGH! 

Also, I never could look at pictures from chernobyl again after seeing it. Ugh. 

Exorcist . Freeky awful. Hated the voice that came from the little girl.

One movie , can't remember the name, but there was a girl, that didn't like her mom,and found a friend inside the mirror. Well,the mirror eventually started bleeding, and locked her in her room, and killed her mom by pulling her into the garbage disposal!!!!!

(I still don't like mirrors)

Silence of the lambs

All watched as a young teen.

Edited by Peacefulisle

It's not horror, but Aliens (the sequel) really got to me. I saw it in the theater and was jumpy for about a week.

Seven as a movie bothered me, but not necessarily scary.

Untraceable with Diane Lane was one of those cover your eyes due to the gore, but you had to watch.

Seven disturbed me so thouroughly, I swear I didn't sleep for a month. Part of what really got me in that movie was that the cop character played by Brad Pitt looked SO much like DH at the time. Even his persona - that sort of cocky, got-it-all-together personality was like watching my husband in an alternate reality. And then what ultimately befell him, that horrible mind trick and the outcome...it was too devastating to imagine.

Seven makes my list, and Silence of the Lambs, but I will also say I am not a fan of horror and have seen very few horror movies. I haven't seen many of the "classics," except The Birds.

• Like 1

When i was 12 or so, I watched a movie at a friends house and I don't remember the name of it, but it involved cutting limbs off people and putting them in fish tanks, and I think the hands could still reach out and grab something.  Very weird and gross and it figured in nightmares for many years.  

I did start watching Cabin in the Woods late one night while my husband was at work and I had to turn it off.  I reminded myself why I don't watch scary movies.  I'll just read my stack of books and binge watch Parks & Rec, Gilmore Girls and other light and fluffy things.  My life is too short to bring in media that produces negative emotions.  Not judging anyone else's choices, just whats right for me. :-) My husband and son enjoy all kinds of war/crime documentaries and I don't watch those with them either.

Edited by knoxinsox
  • Like 1

Another few that got me were Silent Hill and Pitch Black, both star the same actress.

Silent Hill was awful! I kept wondering who'd ever want to play the game?!

The Ring freaked me out good, as did The Grudge.

It scared me, I was about 10 when I watched it. The image of his teeth stays with me. I've seen heaps of horror and none really freak me out too much. I tend to struggle through fast-zombie movies. 28 days later for example!

• Like 1

When Blair Witch Project came out my Dh and I were newly married and living in this apartment complex which backed up to a forest.  There was this great trail through the woods which was a short cut into town and we'd often walk around all evening cause we were broke and couldn't afford to do anything.  We saw that movie and it was weeks before I could walk through those woods at night.  I insisted that we go the long way round that took an extra 20 minutes.  

I can't do zombie movies either.  I saw the trailer for 28 Days Later and it freaked me out big time!  I would never survive the whole movie.

I can't do zombie movies either. I saw the trailer for 28 Days Later and it freaked me out big time! I would never survive the whole movie.

It's a very good movie IMO. But those fast running and physically strong zombies are scary!

I found The Lost Boys terrifying when I was 10. Nothing has really compared to that since then, though I enjoy watching supernatural horror and psychological thrillers. I think the psychological ones are actually a bit scarier to me. Brotherman is 12, so old enough I guess, but he is a bit sensitive and has no interest in such things. I do think it would have been better for me as a child to have waited until I was older to see scary movies. And read scary books. Stephen King books are amazing, but seriously I did not need some of that stuff in my head in middle school.

Slasher flicks are a bit too much for me, so I can't speak to those.

We are all so different. I don't like scary movies. At all. Never really have, but got out-voted in group situations every now and again so saw some as a teen and young adult.

BUT to me, The Lost Boys doesn't even count as a scary movie. I loved it as a tween, and have kept it in mind as one I need to watch with my DD as a shared mother/daughter experience. Yet, I can't even watch Supernatural or Goosebumps with the kids. Another one that is not scary to me that I see mentioned is The Sixth Sense.

Lol. So weird what is or isn't scary to each individual.

Edited by fraidycat

When i was 12 or so, I watched a movie at a friends house and I don't remember the name of it, but it involved cutting limbs off people and putting them in fish tanks, and I think the hands could still reach out and grab something. Very weird and gross and it figured in nightmares for many years.

I did start watching Cabin in the Woods late one night while my husband was at work and I had to turn it off. I reminded myself why I don't watch scary movies. I'll just read my stack of books and binge watch Parks & Rec, Gilmore Girls and other light and fluffy things. My life is too short to bring in media that produces negative emotions. Not judging anyone else's choices, just whats right for me. :-) My husband and son enjoy all kinds of war/crime documentaries and I don't watch those with them either.

Oh, I so agree!! Give me rainbows, unicorns, and lollipops, TYVM.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I feel like such a wimp sometimes.

• Like 1

We are all so different. I don't like scary movies. At all. Never really have, but got out-voted in group situations every now and again so saw some as a teen and young adult.

BUT to me, The Lost Boys doesn't even count as a scary movie. I loved it as a tween, and have kept it in mind as one I need to watch with my DD as a shared mother/daughter experience. Yet, I can't even watch Supernatural or Goosebumps with the kids. Another one that is not scary to me that I see mentioned is The Sixth Sense.

Lol. So weird what is or isn't scary to each individual.

I doubt I would find it scary now, lol. I watched it on a sleepover with a friend at her family's lake house, and I think being in a strange place in the woods with people I didn't know very well made it seem a lot scarier. 

• Like 1