Menu

Off the beaten path movies for tween boys?

Alicia64

Do you have a suggestion for a movie tween boys might like? Other than the usual suspects like ET, Iron Man, regular Disney favorites, have seen all the Torturo movies etc.

Somehow we never saw Hook w/ Robin Williams so we're watching tonight.

My husband also suggsted Astro Boy for another night that's supposed to be good.

Any suggestions, very welcome.

Thanks,

Alley

Not all are "obscure" but thought I would toss them in anyway...

Dancer Texas, Pop. 81

Howl's Moving Castle

Rocket Gibraltar

Hoot

The Abyss

Ghostbusters (maybe)

The Last Starfighter

Cocoon 

Men in Black

The Princess Bride

War Games

Legend

Clash of the Titans

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Say Anything

The Neverending Story

Some of these I have not seen in years so they might need to be screened.

Second-hand Lions is wonderful

I was going to suggest this also.  Such a gem.

42, the Jackie Robinson movie, is really good.

The Blind Side

The Perfect Game (baseball movie, based on a true story; one of my favorites)

The Sandlot (also a baseball movie, cult following; lots of people LOVE this movie; i liked it but wouldn't watch it a dozen times)

We are Marshall (sad, of course, but inspiring)

Soul Surfer (it's not just for girls) 

Hoosiers 

Can you tell we like sports movies??

Disney (I think) had a film called The Rocketeer which might be good.

We watched "Babe" a month or two ago and all of my kids liked it (even the 12 and 10 year old boys).

Was thinking of watching "Raiders of the Lost Ark" with my kids.... think they'd enjoy that, as well.

Have you tried some older movies? My mom gave us a book, Best Old Movies for Families, and while it took a little getting used to, my boys now really enjoy old movie night.  (We alternate old movies with more contemporary movies.) My youngest has a few favorites:

The Court Jester (Ds11 goes around quoting the "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle" bit.) 

Hitchcock...North by Northwest is a favorite, and The Birds if they can handle some scary/intense. My boys were all laughing at the cheesy special effects at the beginning of The Birds, and on the edge of their seats by the end.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (They all hated the modern remake.)

The Seven Samurai (Japanese movie based on classic American westerns, fantastic, they were absolutely riveted.)

Duck Soup (Marx Brothers)

Sometimes we can find them for free on Amazon Prime; otherwise, it's usually only a couple dollars to watch.

Edited by myfunnybunch
  • Like 3

Jumanji was fun.  It's modern sci fi fun.

The Scarlet and the Black was terrific as a true WWII story taking place in Italy and the Vatican.  They leave out the bulk of the gore making it very suitable for younger viewers (though of course, violence is implied - it is about WWII).

Awakenings is also one my guys loved.  Robin Williams was awesome playing a doctor/researcher in it.  He was in Jumanji too.

Gattaca might work too.  We show it in high school (Bio) since it deals with the future and how our lives could be with more dependence upon DNA, but younger kids might like it too.

If you haven't seen it yet, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is one my kids watched over and over when they were younger.

Across the Great Divide comes to mind as a favorite too.

Those are some not previously mentioned that my guys have liked.

I love The Pistol: The Birth of a Legend. It is about basketball great, Pete Maravich. It is a sports bio, but I think it has a great message, so even a non-sports lover can get a lot out of it. I loved that movie in high school and found it very inspirational. 

Great movie and a favorite here!  DH has given out 20+ copies to his basketball players over the years.

The Explorers! A group of tween boys build a spaceship and to their amazement it actually works and they meet a very fun alien family. It is a great 80's classic

Last Starfighter! Videogame playing teen finally maxes out the high score on a stand up arcade and then gets pucked up by friendly aliens who were really using the game as a training program to find the "Last Starfighter" who will save the galaxy with his mad skills!

Willow. Fantasy and fun much like Princess Bride. Cult classic. Just enough silly and a bit of suggestive fun that tween boys would find adultish enough without being embarrassing or distasteful. Prewatch if the concept of cross dressing bothers you.

• Like 1

We just watched Journey to the Center of the Earth last night. That was a big hit.

Big Hero 6 was fantastic, very well done.

McFarland USA

Cool Runnings

We've been watching quite a few lately but I'm terrible about remembering titles. I'll consult DS and add more.

Edited by MEmama

There are so many great movies listed here!  My oldest had to read Rocket Boys for school and I had no idea there was a movie.

My 11 y.o. loves the movie Holes, which is based on the book (he loves that, too).  Our library has a movie version of Sign of the Beaver, which he enjoys.  All Marx Bros. and 3 Stooges movies/shows as well.

I know you asked about movies, but what about older TV shows available on DVD?  Mine love Get Smart and Gilligan's Island, both of which we get from our library.

Others we enjoyed as kids:

The Scarlett Pimpernel (w/ Jane Seymour)

The Maltese Falcon

The Unsinkable Molly Brown (this is a musical, so I have no idea if that is up your alley)

Bugsy Malone (man, I loved this one, but I have no idea if I would let my kiddos watch it now)

The Odd Life of Timothy Green

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

I just cut a whole 'nother path with some of those recs!  :tongue_smilie: