Menu

Movies kids "should" watch!

KrissiK

Tonight we had family movie night and watched "ET".  Not only is it a great movie, but I consider it one of those movies you need to see to be considered culturally literate (pop culture, at any rate). At least in my opinion.  I'm trying to think of other movies for our family to watch that would be considered "must see" movies for American Kids!

Definitely:

Sound of Music (the original)

Mary Poppins

Chitty-Chitty- Bang- Bang

Star Wars Trilogy

A Christmas Story

Princess Bride

Any others to add?

Singin' in the Rain

Wild America

Mrs Doubtfire

Space Balls

A League of Their Own

Meet Me in St Louis

Indiana Jones

Jurassic Park

Star Trek

Star Wars

Harry Potter

Field of Dreams

ET(check for OP)

Shirley Temple movies?

Toy Story

Finding Nemo

Lion King?

The Parent Trap ( both)

Freaky Friday (both)

Hair Spray

The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basil E?

I have a different list for older kids which includes Dirty Dancing, About a Boy, Elvis films +. ;)

You've hit a lot of them.

An attempt at familiarity with older TV shows should also take place. 

Often my approach to this is reactionary. Like having DD watch the original skit from I Love Lucy after seeing it parodied for the umpteenth time on a tween sitcom on Nick or Disney.

Ravin makes a really good point about TV shows. We don't have cable (just antenna) but we do get these weird bonus channels; some are news from around the world (love France 24), some are in foreign languages (Viet, Spanish, Russian, etc.), and some feature movies and old TV shows. We can watch Mr. Ed, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island, Leave it to Beaver, Lucy, etc. I think there are a few shows that are part of our culture that might be fun to watch, but honestly, I believe these references are dying out a bit--pruning, I guess. I think Gilligan's Island and the Brady Bunch references might be around for quite a while, but some of the others, not so much.

There are movies in Michael Gurian's book, Stories My Son Needs, with the reasons he feels they should be seen and at what age.  He includes some that are violent/harsh because he thinks they contain ideas that should be talked about together. 

ETA: Oops, that title is "What Stories Does My Son Need?" 

Thanks, everyone!  As a TV-free, homeschooling family, I have been trying to make sure that Caboose Boy is exposed to what he will need to know to keep up with the conversaion amongst his friends.  I've never heard of many of these, but we will be checking them out of the library asap.

My kids recently found they loved

Annie

Problem Child

Mary Poppins

A League of Their Own

Curly Sue

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Shirley Temple movies (ok, they're meh about these but I love them)

Ernest Goes to Camp and other Ernest movies

And other great ones:

Star Wars

Lord of the Rings (I'm biased)

Harry Potter :D

Groundhog Day

Mickey's Christmas Carol

National Lampoon Christmas Vacation (iffy)

Three Musketeers

Witches (scary)

Honey I Shrunk the Kids

Parent Trap

Mrs. Doubtfire

Jurassic Park

Wizard of Oz

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Matilda

Goonies

Legend

Labyrinth

Princess Bride

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Elf

Prancer

Little Women

Back to the Future

My Girl (older kids?)

Indiana Jones

I did get them to watch some movies that perhaps should have waited.  I'm kind of horrified I was allowed to watch them when I was younger, even!  :lol:

Letsee..

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Signs

Deliverence

Scarface

The Exorcist

Just kidding....

I was a sci fi fan and loved ET and especially Close Encounters of the Third kind, but these are definitely for at least 10 and older.

:lol:  Dh convinced me to let the kids over 9 watch Gremlins. They loved it.  I was totally traumatized by that as a kid, but now that special effects are so much better it was more funny than scary to them.

:lol:  Dh convinced me to let the kids over 9 watch Gremlins. They loved it.  I was totally traumatized by that as a kid, but now that special effects are so much better it was more funny than scary to them.

:lol: We watched Ghostbusters last night, and we had the same problem. I knew they wouldn't find it scary, but the cheesiness of the effects added an extra element of hilarity. Then afterward, I was texting DH with awesome quotes.

"Ray! If someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!!!"

"Oh no, it can't be!...Yep, it's the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man."

:lol:

What age? My recommendations would vary depending on age, and your tolerance for tougher themes and violence.

For older kids, I'm very partial to October Sky, Apollo 13, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Hobbit, and for late high schoolers, Schindlers List, The Pianist, and Flyboys.