Menu

Help me make a list of classic (kid friendly) sci-fi, suspense, action type movies

My kids are starting to enjoy movies like The Birds and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956). I don't want anything gory or evil.

My 11yo is reading HG Wells... and it's seriously sparking an interest! :001_smile:

We've decided to make Sunday afternoons our sci-fi, action movie day.

So what would you recommend?

:lurk5:

Jason and the Argonauts (1963, I think)

Clash of the Titans (there is a breastfeeding scene, very brief, and a naked mother and toddler walking down the beach .... in the distance.)

Mysterious Island

Aournd the World in 80 Days

Those Magnificent Men and their Flying Machines

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Incredible Journey (the 60s version)

The Ray Harryhausen movies are good for the most part - I think they are all either unrated or G. There is some fighting, etc. between the monsters & people but they're not especially gory. Kalanamak mentioned Jason and the Argonauts, and there are lots of others - both mythological and space/sci-fi genres. Ray Harryhausen movies at amazon

Also, In Search of the Castaways, is kind of cheesy but fun. It's a Hayley Mills movie based on a Jules Verne story.

And Escape to Witch Mountain is another classic.

Clash of the Titans (there is a breastfeeding scene, very brief, and a naked mother and toddler walking down the beach .... in the distance.)

And a scene with the pretty girl getting out of the bath stark naked from behind. Just saying. We watched that movie in 7th grade language arts after we did a mythology unit and one of the boys in the class said, "Good grief. Is this girl really worth all this trouble?" And the teacher replied, "You saw her butt, you tell me." :lol:

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Independence Day

Men in Black

Stargate (the movie)

Stargate SG-1 (the TV series; the pilot has a scene that includes full frontal nudity. The rest of the series is fine)

Flight of the Navigator

Star Man (there is a short adult scene)

The Last Starfighter

Paycheck