Menu

What movies have your kids enjoyed? (not necessarily educational)

IsabelC

Mine always enjoyed musicals:

Singing in the Rain

On the Town

Oklahoma (the filmed Broadway production with Hugh Jackman more than the 1955 film)

The Music Man

Oliver

The Pirates of Penzance

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Hairspray

Kiss Me Kate

Victor Victoria

Peter Pan (the live action musical more than the animated Disney version)

Bye Bye Birdie

Beauty and the Beast (Disney)

Aladdin (Disney)

Lion King (Disney)

Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney)

Anastasia (the 1997 animated musical)

Road to El Dorado

Prince of Egypt

(Please note: We're not especially conservative and tended to censor more for quality than content. So, we had no problem allowing our kids to watch films with light sexual content as long as it was appropriately consensual, between adults and not explicit. We also didn't have a problem with language. So, more conservative families would want to preview all of the films above before showing them to young kids.)

All of my kids, even the bigger ones, absolutely loved the LEGO Movie.

I assume you've seen the usual stuff like Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Wizard of Oz. . .

TinTin

Hugo -- this was so beautiful!

They all like Brave and Tangled -- not too girly for the boys!

They love the crazy silly Night at the Museum movies, and the old Popeye and Woody Woodpecker movies, after seeing some at my ILs' house.

Some of the Little House on the Prairie specials are really good; I think we have a Christmas one and the pilot episode. You wouldn't necessarily have to know the whole series to enjoy those as standalones.

I just realized that my boys are probably at prime age for the Stooges. Oh, good grief, they'd probably love them.

My kids like adventure movies like Godzilla, Man of Steel, Guardians of the Galaxy, the entire million hours of The Hobbit and LOTR, Pacific Rim. . . (Of those, DH has watched them with the kids, but I've only seen the Hobbit/LOTR so I don't know much about the rest.)

DD has expressed interest in The Odd Life of Timothy Greene, which does look good.

Also, the boys liked Swiss Family Robinson and the old Davy Crockett movie (I think it was a TV show) with Fess Parker.

Great idea for a thread!

LEGO Movie was a huge hit here, even with 2 girls.  We also loved Mr. Peabody & Sherman.  We surprisingly enjoyed Maleficent, though I would say it's not for kids with fear issues.  Everything Pixar is beloved, and probably most Disney stuff. American Girl movies for your girls.  Anything How to Train Your Dragon too!  

As the kid of this family, mine are a bit out there for some part. Almost every Disney movie, Shrek (not the 3rd, it doesn't really interest me most of the time), and then there are some that aren't kid-friendly. But, there are two from my childhood that have always been part of me and that's King and I ( 1956 with Yul and Deborah) and Hatari (1962 with John Wayne, Hardy Kruger, Red Buttons). My grammy watched them with me when I was a young child, and they'll always remind me of her.

Wow, thanks for the many ideas. I have added some of these to our list and will be looking for a few more.

Jenny, any tips on how to persuade the kids to like musicals? They all tend to groan and say "Urgh, is this a musical?" whenever the characters burst into song. But I'd like to indoctrinate them into the cult.

Jenny, any tips on how to persuade the kids to like musicals? They all tend to groan and say "Urgh, is this a musical?" whenever the characters burst into song. But I'd like to indoctrinate them into the cult.

I have to admit, it's never a hurdle I had to overcome. Both of mine loved musicals from the very beginning. 

I suppose the only advice I have is to lead by example. If they see you watching musicals and enjoying them -- especially if you make a point of not inviting them to join you -- they just might show a little more interest.

Also, it's always fun to try and see a few good local productions live. 

Be careful, though: If you do too good a job, you might end up with kids who, like mine, decide to make a career of theatre, hence ending any dreams you might have harbored about them making enough money to support you in your old age.