Menu

Why is it ok to be rude on FB??

Moxie

I have a friend (IRL and on FB) who just posted a long paragraph about how she has collected too many friends and will be clearing them out tonight. If we are her "true friends" we will copy and paste DO NOT SHARE her long paragraph. Then she will let us stay. Huh?? I almost wonder if she was drinking when she wrote it.

I have a friend (IRL and on FB) who just posted a long paragraph about how she has collected too many friends and will be clearing them out tonight. If we are her "true friends" we will copy and paste DO NOT SHARE her long paragraph. Then she will let us stay. Huh?? I almost wonder if she was drinking when she wrote it.

My sil posted that same thing.

I ignored it, I'm pretty sure she's not going to unfriend me.

Someone pointed out to her that because of the way FB works, only about 10% of her friends will even see that post.

• Like 4

Usually it's one of two things:

1) People who want everyone to comment below their post about how awesome they are and that they'll be friends forever, etc. Basically fishing for compliments with no follow through in the threat of removal.

2) It's older people on Facebook who see one of these posts and believe it, then share it themselves.

• Like 10

We'll be here tomorrow morning to pick up the pieces of your broken heart after you've been unfriended. And we'll never ask you to somehow "prove" yourself to remain on the forum. 😃

• Like 7

I really am enjoying FB and I think it is a great way for groups to communicate. I just don't understand a grown woman, who is very sweet IRL, thinking that this is ok.

I enjoy it too, which is why I just scroll past such posts and ignore them. Like I said, no one who has shared that kind of post has unfriended me. 

• Like 2

Someone might have also hacked her account.  Or she could have shared it by accidentally clicking on something.  Which is really easy to do without even realizing.

I don't take anything seriously on facebook.  If she's good to you in real life that's what matters.

I've got a friend who continually "likes" some pretty sketchy articles.  Now possibly this happens when she goes to read these articles and she doesn't know it's showing up on facebook.  So I'm reluctant to mention it to her because I'm not sure we're good enough friends that she'd want me knowing that she read those things.  But I suspect it's more likely that she's been minorly hacked by some advertiser.

I ignore if I see something like that posted. I think it's just a "oh pay attention to me, I want to be reassured you all love me and don't want to go!" Of course I've hidden so many of my friends that I wouldn't even see it if they posted this. I'm about thisclose to being done with fb. The only thing I really like it for now is following a few personal interest pages like Doctor who fan pages and such.

• Like 2

I'm pretty careful who my FB friends are. I'm not big on drama.  If someone repeatedly posts things that bother me, I set them to "unfollow." This keeps them as my FB friends, but their posts don't show in my feed.  Of course, I could also choose to unfriend them, but usually people like that are on my friends list for a reason (family or other obligatory reasons that make "unfollowing" preferable to unfriending).

Although two people bothered me enough last week for me to unfriend, and then I did a mass unfriending, reducing my friends by about 10%. LOL.  The difference is that I didn't actually announce it on FB, either before or after.  ;)

• Like 3

I enjoy it too, which is why I just scroll past such posts and ignore them. Like I said, no one who has shared that kind of post has unfriended me. 

Yeah, this is me.  I see those from time to time.  I don't think people unfriend me.  I'm on facebook for the great-niece and -nephew photos and the recipes.

• Like 3

I have a family member who has posted that periodically.

The last time, however, she actually posted a "quiz" for her friends. She stated she was trying to figure out who her real friends were and stated that to stay her friend on Facebook, you would have to answer the question: "What are three things that have happened in my life in the last 4 years?" 

I didn't answer. I got unfriended. I don't have to endure the constant pleas for attention anymore. :p

• Like 9

Facebook chain letters are stupid. There's also, "if you know someone suffering with X, post this for just one hour." What? Who is deleting their post after an hour? "In support of breast cancer awareness, post your birth month and say the destination of your dream vacation. Then tell everyone on your friends list that's where you are going for two weeks. Don't tell and ruin the game!" Good grief. I'll be sure to cry when I get the ax.

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 5

It's not of her own creation.

Honestly I think it's one of those things people just fall for - they see a friend post it and think if they don't, the friend might actually delete them. It was most likely started as trolling.

Overall this just doesn't bother me. It's just another thing people fall for, like the 'share this and you could win 10 million' posts. I just ignore it. Some people are bored, some are gullible.

I don't consider it rude at all. There are rude things on fb, yes - but this, IMO, is not one of them. :$

I've weeded out my friends list before, but never with an announcement beforehand lol.

• Like 5

I preemptively unfriended a "Friend" that did this.

• Like 1

It's not of her own creation.

Honestly I think it's one of those things people just fall for - they see a friend post it and think if they don't, the friend might actually delete them. It was most likely started as trolling.

Overall this just doesn't bother me. It's just another thing people fall for, like the 'share this and you could win 10 million' posts. I just ignore it. Some people are bored, some are gullible.

I don't consider it rude at all. There are rude things on fb, yes - but this, IMO, is not one of them. :$

I've weeded out my friends list before, but never with an announcement beforehand lol.

This isn't a forward. She writes about specific changes that have happened in her life since she joined FB.

I never, ever, ever respond to "instructions" as to how I can remain on someone's friend list, or "prove" to them that I read their posts. I can't be bothered with "friends" who need this kind of propping.

• Like 4

Yeah, this is me. I see those from time to time. I don't think people unfriend me. I'm on facebook for the great-niece and -nephew photos and the recipes.

Wait - you're getting recipes on FB? I'm not doing it right...

• Like 2

Wait - you're getting recipes on FB? I'm not doing it right...

I "like" various recipe websites:  Splendid Table, Simply Recipes, The Kitchn, New York Times Food....

Could also subscribe to the blogs and get it in the mailbox.  But I like to see them in my facebook feed.  Nice counterpoint to all the political crap. 

• Like 2

Recipes are almost all I see from half the friends I still follow. I don't follow any recipe pages but they do and they like and share several a day. Another reason I'm considering dropping fb. A few recipes would be great. Or from a page that makes the kind of food I'm interested in. But dozens of videos of food being made coming across my feed when I just want to join a few conversations or see DW memes is just annoying. Tasty is the one I see the most.

That's less rude than simply foolishness, IMO.

I don't know what people are thinking, to be honest. Does anyone really believe that god cares what I copy and paste? And if not, how is that not extremely disrespectful, to speak for god?!? Weird, weird, weird.

That said, I'm off Facebook for that reason.

• Like 1