Menu

Vent - cancer, lack of information

Farrar

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you contact his doctor now, over the phone? I was able to get info on my mother's condition overseas via phone.

I would circumvent stepmother and deal directly with medical professionals. If you feel you need to be there sooner, call the airline and see if they let you move the ticket to an earlier time.

Just read your update. Safe traveling and journey's mercies.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

Thanks, guys. I'm driving down today after all. :(

If you're the praying sort, you can say a prayer for us. Or send good juju. Or just good thoughts. I always use Quakerspeak in these situations - they say holding you in the light. I'm holding him in the light and all of us.

Godspeed, friend. From someone who missed her own dad's passing due to mom minimizing the need to come home soon enough, you will not regret this decision.

• Like 5

I feel your pain so much. My dad has stage four non-small cell adenocarcinoma that has metastisized to the brain. He is 72 and in very poor shape. His prognosis is that WITH chemo he has at best 1 year. Yet my mom acts like everything is hunky dorry and he's just going to be cured by the chemo and he's going to do this juice fast thing which is going to starve the chemo (no, but since he's lost 45 lbs that he didn't have to lose to begin with I'm pretty certain it will starve him to death by default so in that sense I suppose one could claim it starved the cancer, sigh...), and they won't make any end of life plans leaving my brother and I "holding the bag" so to speak.

And he has legal problems. After the cancer went to the brain, he went crazy, decided to kill my mom , and then commit suicide. He was so out of it he couldn't plan anything effective so thankfully, all she got out of the encounter was a broken ankle, but they still want to prosecute him even though it is proven it was the brain cancer that caused him to act that way. So, he still faces jail as a profoundly sick man, but she talks like he's getting cured and they are just going on with their retirement, traveling, camping, visiting relatives....she is in so much denial it staggers - even the doctors are very, very worried about how unrealistic she is. On top of which, she controls the flow of information so now that she has figured out that I do subscribe to the unicorn farting rainbows theory of cancer cures, she has shut down and doesn't want to tell me what his oncologist says or anything else, and when I take them to his doctors' appointments, I get kicked out of the room as punishment for being realistic.

I am right there with you. And cancer is just evil, 100% villainous evil in cellular form.

:grouphug:  :grouphug: Praying for you.

Faith, what horror. The legal system in your state must be wonky. How can they prosecute someone who needs full-time care and is not coherent by certification of his physicians?

My bil has glioblastoma and I am wondering if it could reach this stage where he will have to be removed from family.

Just wanted to mention that the part where your mother pretends they are going to live life as usual is probably the only coping mechanism she has right now and the one thing that keeps her from breaking down. My MIL is like that and it used to drive me crazy watching her denial in all kinds of situations but over the years I have come to realize it's her protection against reality. When reality hits she usually falls apart for a while.

I will pray that the legal issues goes away and never rear their ugly head again.

• Like 2

If you're the praying sort, you can say a prayer for us. Or send good juju. Or just good thoughts. I always use Quakerspeak in these situations - they say holding you in the light. I'm holding him in the light and all of us.

:grouphug:

You're doing the right thing. I made several trips when my parent was dying and I'm very glad I did. My parent's spouse was just as dismissive of my concerns, but the hospice nurse was very helpful. She was also willing to talk to me, even if I didn't have medical authority over my parent.

While you're with him, talk to him. My final conversations with my parent are some of my most precious memories.

• Like 3

I have nothing to say, except that I'm sorry and we're all with you in this. My dad had cancer as well. If you speak to his oncologist they may put you on the notification list, so the doctors will let you know what's happening instead of relying on your stepmom. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 2

Praying here, and holding you and your father in the light.

Please update us when you can, but if you're too busy, tired, or upset, don't worry about us -- just know that we are all here thinking of you and wishing the very best for your dad, and we'll see you when you get back here. :grouphug:

• Like 3

Thanks for everyone's prayers and good thoughts.

I'm exhausted, but here. It was pretty dire yesterday morning, like get the advance directives dire, but step mom actually made great decisions and he seems to have turned some sort of a corner. Things are not good and the everything will be fine mentality is still killing me a little but he's better than when I started the eleven hour drive and is clearly glad I came and even the nurses think he's better than yesterday, though that's tempered by the oncologist who was clearly upset at how bad things are.

And, bonuses, I saw my formerly estranged brother and had a very good meeting. My mother is probably doing flips she's so happy. Step mom and I are playing nice. Turns out before our interaction she also was in a car accident. Assuming she doesn't call me missy again, I'm trying to just let it go. She managed things differently but that's okay.

• Like 39

I'm exhausted, but here. It was pretty dire yesterday morning, like get the advance directives dire, but step mom actually made great decisions and he seems to have turned some sort of a corner. Things are not good and the everything will be fine mentality is still killing me a little but he's better than when I started the eleven hour drive and is clearly glad I came and even the nurses think he's better than yesterday, though that's tempered by the oncologist who was clearly upset at how bad things are.

And, bonuses, I saw my formerly estranged brother and had a very good meeting. My mother is probably doing flips she's so happy. Step mom and I are playing nice. Turns out before our interaction she also was in a car accident. Assuming she doesn't call me missy again, I'm trying to just let it go. She managed things differently but that's okay.

Just can't beat the face to face time. Thanks for the update, prayers for your stamina.

I'm glad you got there safely and am relieved to hear that your stepmom has been making good decisions on your father's behalf. I also admire you very much for your generous attitude toward your stepmom.

I hope you and your brother keep getting along, too. If you can all stick together as a family, that will help a lot. :grouphug:

Praying for your dad and for you and your whole family.

• Like 4

Faith, what horror. The legal system in your state must be wonky. How can they prosecute someone who needs full-time care and is not coherent by certification of his physicians?

My bil has glioblastoma and I am wondering if it could reach this stage where he will have to be removed from family.

We called adult protective services multiple times on my mom because she was NOT taking good care of my dad. She would withhold food and not bathe him when he needed it. He refused to press charges. Home health suspected abuse but responded by just refusing to go there for the treatments after mom harassed them verbally and threw things at them. He told his doctor not to push the issue.

When they needed her OK for hospice, she refused. She had his medical power of attorney, and her doctor refused to certify her as incompetent (I tried). I wrote his doctor a long letter with all of the history and faxed it to her. She thankfully contacted the facility where he was staying and had them call her during one of the few times that he was awake and clear. She cancelled appointments to go there, and he signed his own hospice paperwork.

So yes, if someone is not able to fend for themselves and is not being taken care of, you may have to intervene. 

You're a good person.  We should all be so gracious under duress. I'm glad you decided to go. Try to rest.

Barb

• Like 2

UPDATE: He passed away this evening. I had come home because he was was stable but it turned out one of his last real interactions was with me before I left. I was planning to go back tonight but now I'm going to wait for the funeral. Basically I keep going in circles- I literally went in a circle on 85 and I went to the airport and am now going home. Sigh. I'm frustrated that step mom and my dad made almost no funeral plans, but I don't have it in me to be bitter or anything.

Thanks for the support and kind words, everyone.

• Like 3