Menu

Well-Educated Mind new edition...help requested...

Susan Wise Bauer

OK, I don't usually do this, but can those of you who've read The Well-Educated Mind help me out?

The new edition (updated lists and an additional chapter on reading science) came out in the middle of November, and since then the ONLY review on Amazon has been a two-star non-review by someone who apparently didn't read the whole book and thinks the Trivium has something to do with "weird religion." 

If you've read TWEM, or posted a review on the previous edition page, would you be willing to add your review to the new edition page? 

http://www.amazon.com/The-Well-Educated-Mind-Classical-Education/dp/039308096X

OK, end of my uncharacteristic shill. (But that review really is driving me batty.)

SWB

p.s. You can learn more about the updated edition here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x7OXxO8ikg

Well, since the first edition is still influencing how my adult children tell me about anything they have read or watched, I would like to write a review. The book changed "it was good" into interesting observations that often lead to discussions. And it changed the way I view many classics myself.

Nan

• Like 10

No problem. It has been a little while (I own the original edition) but I remember enough to enter a review in good conscience.  ;)  :001_smile:(I threw a pun or two in my review just for fun, I'm feeling squirrelly this morning  :lol: )

"Let her convince you, and your brain will think you."

I thought that was a typo, but I guess it was a pun?

I'm no longer homeschooling so I want be getting the new version but I just wanted to thank you.  I still have the 2004 edition on my shelf.   I graduated my baby this year.  The old copy has loose binding/pages  and has been well loved.  I'm sure the newest edition will be just as coveted.

I did give a negative to the weird review

• Like 1

I used my amazon 30% off code to order the new edition.  It should be on my front porch tonight.  I can't wait.  I have the 2004 edition, so I will leave a postive review before the week is over.  This book has been on my wish list for a while.  I have to admit that I was stunned when I saw the 2 star review.

• Like 2

It bugs me that Amazon doesn't seem to have any desire to stop these obviously bogus reviews, and in some ways encourages them.  This "odd reviewer" has written over 7800 reviews, going back at least 10 years.  That's something like 2 or 3 reviews every day for years.  Clearly, he isn't reading them all.  But Amazon rewards this with a "top 1000 reviewer"

• Like 10

It bugs me that Amazon doesn't seem to have any desire to stop these obviously bogus reviews, and in some ways encourages them. This "odd reviewer" has written over 7800 reviews, going back at least 10 years. That's something like 2 or 3 reviews every day for years. Clearly, he isn't reading them all. But Amazon rewards this with a "top 1000 reviewer"

Wow, crazy. Is there money in it??

Wow, crazy. Is there money in it??

Yes, sort of.  They get sent free stuff, which they can try and then sell.  And some take paid reviews, though that's against the terms of service.  Usually they look for stuff no one else has reviewed yet, so their review is helpful.

"Let her convince you, and your brain will think you."

I thought that was a typo, but I guess it was a pun?

Yes. Cheesy, I am. I was a little high on Christmas decorations this morning. :blush:  

Plus the beginning of my review (  It is never too late to get a Well-Educated Mind) was not really a pun, but was meant to be a play on the words.  Like I said, I was squirrelly.   :o

So, I went to amazon to check it out b/c I own and have read the first edition, but I was curious about what the revised edition contains. If anyone wonders, she added a science section, which is great!

Anyway, the new edition currently has 4 reviews, all by obviously legit reviewers. The one weirdo one seems to have been taken down? It's not there any longer.

• Like 1

I think the whackadoodle review was removed.  I am not legit as a reviewer of the new edition as I am past the homeschooling years.  But I was prepared to go out and take on the Mad Religion of the Trivium bozo.  It's a good thing he saved me the trouble.  LOL.  

I think the whackadoodle review was removed.  I am not legit as a reviewer of the new edition as I am past the homeschooling years.  But I was prepared to go out and take on the Mad Religion of the Trivium bozo.  It's a good thing he saved me the trouble.  LOL.  

But this is The Well Educated Mind, not TWTM. It isn't 'just' for homeschoolers. It would certainly inform my choices if I were homeschooling high school, but I use the book for myself these days.

It's "the guide for the classical education you never had." So, if you have read it, you are absolutely a legit reviewer.

• Like 1

But this is The Well Educated Mind, not TWTM. It isn't 'just' for homeschoolers. It would certainly inform my choices if I were homeschooling high school, but I use the book for myself these days.

It's "the guide for the classical education you never had." So, if you have read it, you are absolutely a legit reviewer.

Well, I HAVE read it!  I totally dropped a stitch thought and thought it was TWTM not TWEM.  Thank you!

I read DH some of this thread and the Hive cracks him up.  :)

I want this new edition!  However, DH hates in when I get myself what I want right before Christmas and ruin all his good gift ideas.  He thinks it is some kind of holiday ethical violation.  So I'll have to wait.  I really need it!