Menu

Why don't boys pajamas come with shirts???

Garga

I see lots and lots of "sleep pants" for boys that are my kids' sizes.  But no sleep shirts.  So....what are boys supposed to wear as shirts with these sleep pants? 

What do your sons wear as shirts when they sleep at night, especially if they have "sleep pants"?  In the winter--so no short sleeve undershirts.  They need long sleeves.

This is driving me CRAZY.  It's just so illogical and I can't figure out what the boys are supposed to wear as night shirts.  My son said that once you're larger than a size 10 you have manly hair on your chest so you can't wear shirts at night or else the static electricity builds up and you explode. 

But I don't think he was serious.

• Like 5

I see lots and lots of "sleep pants" for boys that are my kids' sizes.  But no sleep shirts.  So....what are boys supposed to wear as shirts with these sleep pants? 

What do your sons wear as shirts when they sleep at night, especially if they have "sleep pants"?  In the winter--so no short sleeve undershirts.  They need long sleeves.

This is driving me CRAZY.  It's just so illogical and I can't figure out what the boys are supposed to wear as night shirts.  My son said that once you're larger than a size 10 you have manly hair on your chest so you can't wear shirts at night or else the static electricity builds up and you explode. 

But I don't think he was serious.

Long sleeve tee or thermal shirt.

My boys never wore anything other than a tee and I gave up on them sleeping in anything other than boxers by 10 or so.

My son usually just wears any old long sleeved tee shirt. Actually, a lot of his PJs are ancient-old hand-me-downs from DS16! They are generally hideous. I generally can't bring myself to care at this point, howver, I did just order him a pair of Land's End PJs (top and bottom) for him to wear for Christmas. I also often buy the Joe Boxer flannel PJ sets at Sears on sale for Christmas. They are usually pretty cute, warm, and inexpensive.

P.S. jC Penneys and Kohls usually have similar PJ sales pre-Christmas.

Mine wear t shirts, long or short sleeved, but even my oldest has some actual pajamas still. Carters makes them in two piece sets of fleece or thinner cotton-poly blends, or sometimes a blended shirt with fleece pants; I've got fleecy Carters pjs for little boys from size newborn up to size 12, LOL, although we are probably only a year or two from DS1 outgrowing the 12s.

But if they're not too dirty, they might just wear their same shirt that they had on all day, since they usually wear long sleeved t shirts all day. I'm not really bothered by that; one day and one night cycle, regardless of order, is generally my rule of thumb.

• Like 1

Ok--sounds like I have to search a little harder.  When I go to Amazon (or Kohls or Walmart) and type "boy pajamas button down" I only get stuff for up to size 10.  I need 12s and 16s.  My boys enjoy wearing actual pajama style pajamas.  Maybe if we don't want button down tops we'll have more luck.  My youngest likes to wear pajamas that someone like Cary Grant would have worn.  He likes to feel dapper.

You guys have pointed me in some new directions.

Though, my youngest is extremely miffed that only girls seem to get those amazingly soft clothes.  Boys pjs and robes aren't like those feather-soft bunny-fur type of material that girls stuff comes in.  He gets very irritated by that. 

Edited by Garga

Well, Garga, I would suggest you take the boys to Joann Fabrics and pick out some flannel, and have them sew their own button down pajamas. Pajamas are a great sewing project because they will learn a lot of stuff, but it'll be okay if they aren't perfect.

And if they complain that sewing is for girls, tell them that their wives will be impressed. They've met my husband -- he's about as masculine as you can get, and he can do basic sewing. If he wanted button down pajamas, I could see him sewing them.

Also, fwiw, I'm a girl, but I hate the super soft stuff. I like my flannel pajamas. Lands' End has nice flannel sets for women; they might have them in teen boy sizes or small adult male sizes as well.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 4

Lands End

Ds stopped wearing long sleves at age 8 or so, so he would just wear a t-shirt in winter or no shirt at all in the summer.   He has always been thin, but a warm sleeper so if I put him in warm pajamas he didn't sleep good, and would wake up to take them off at night 

ETA....for your size 14 son, he may fit in a x-small mens size. 

Edited by Tap

Apparently, the search term is pajamas, coat set. Who knew lol

Who knew, indeed!  But there they are!

I'm searching through a bunch of pajama coat sets on Amazon now.  Most top out at size 10, but there are two that go to 12/14.  Yes!!!  And they're soft fleece!  It's a pre-Black Friday miracle! 

I'll save them and see if they go on sale on Friday.  Thank you!!!

(The Lands End ones looked nice, but not at $45.  :(  I'm more of a $15 pj girl.  Or less.  I'll bet Cary Grant never had to worry about the cost of his pjs.)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

I'm searching through a bunch of pajama coat sets on Amazon now.  Most top out at size 10, but there are two that go to 12/14.  Yes!!!  And they're soft fleece!  It's a pre-Black Friday miracle! 

I'll save them and see if they go on sale on Friday.  Thank you!!!

(The Lands End ones looked nice, but not at $45.  :(  I'm more of a $15 pj girl.  Or less.  I'll bet Cary Grant never had to worry about the cost of his pjs.)

Get on their email list, as they have % off coupons quite often, and sometimes they include clearance. 

• Like 2

Well, Garga, I would suggest you take the boys to Joann Fabrics and pick out some flannel, and have them sew their own button down pajamas. Pajamas are a great sewing project because they will learn a lot of stuff, but it'll be okay if they aren't perfect.

And if they complain that sewing is for girls, tell them that their wives will be impressed. They've met my husband -- he's about as masculine as you can get, and he can do basic sewing. If he wanted button down pajamas, I could see him sewing them.

Also, fwiw, I'm a girl, but I hate the super soft stuff. I like my flannel pajamas. Lands' End has nice flannel sets for women; they might have them in teen boy sizes or small adult male sizes as well.

I might offer this to them. They won't think it's girly. But I don't know how to sew at all.  I can sew on a button and that's the upper limit of my knowledge.  However, I could offer for them to figure it out on their own, but I don't know how they'd do collars and button holes and sleeves without some sort of teacher.  They could borrow their grandma's sewing machine.  Maybe she'll teach them.  I could ask...

• Like 1

How about these union suits? :lol:

Also, if you can't find boy pj sets in the right sizes, have you looked for XS versions of men's sets?

Those models are having way too much fun in those suits!  I love it!

I'll have to ask my sons what they think of those.  They might get a kick out of them.  I have one that's a fluffy bunny suit and they think it's hilarious when I wear it.  (Though my youngest is jealous of how soft my bunny suit is.  He wants soft pjs too.)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Ok--sounds like I have to search a little harder.  When I go to Amazon (or Kohls or Walmart) and type "boy pajamas button down" I only get stuff for up to size 10.  I need 12s and 16s.  My boys enjoy wearing actual pajama style pajamas.  Maybe if we don't want button down tops we'll have more luck.  My youngest likes to wear pajamas that someone like Cary Grant would have worn.  He likes to feel dapper.

You guys have pointed me in some new directions.

Though, my youngest is extremely miffed that only girls seem to get those amazingly soft clothes.  Boys pjs and robes aren't like those feather-soft bunny-fur type of material that girls stuff comes in.  He gets very irritated by that. 

Interesting. One of my rules for tops on pajamas is NO buttons, no zippers. So t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc are fine. But things with buttons, embellishments of any kind are out.