Menu

Under garment and pants question for a specific body type.

Tap

Don't quote please,  I will delete later.

I really, really need help finding some pants and underwear to fit dd8. 

DD8 is almost 5ft tall and weighs 130lbs.  She is on medications that make her gain weight and she is predisposed to naturally carry a bit of weight due to her bio-parents body types. 

Her body shape is an apple, but honestly looks more like an upside down pear. She carries her weight above her narrow hips, in the front and sides (not her back or butt). The problem with this, is that the narrowest part of her waist line is about 4 inches below her breast and then it goes out from there.  She has quite a bit of a belly in the front. Her hips/butt are significantly narrower than her midsection, and her butt crack goes half way up her back.  Her crack ends just slightly below where her belly button is in the front.  Her pants don't have a narrow place to hold onto and are sliding down all day.  And if they start to slouch at all, her crack is showing.   She tried wearing a belt but it didn't help and just dug in to her skin when she was playing.

If the link works, she is built like the woman in red. 

I have the hardest time finding pants and undergarments to fit her.  She ends up wearing mesh soccer shorts most of the time (her preference) but for pants it is almost impossible.  Mesh sweat pants don't work, because when she sits down, her knees pushing on the slick fabric, and it pulls her pants down.

She has a random assortment of things that kind of work, they still slouch, but will stay up an hour or two if she isn't playing. If she is playing, she has to constantly pull them up. She typically wears an adult medium in pants.  She has some yoga pants, thin cotton capris from Old Navy, capri sweats from Under Armour and a couple pair of random sweat pants that I have found at places like TJ Maxx and just cut off the hem to make them the right length. Most of these items are now getting too tight, and it is time to go shopping again.

This morning she was upset that her under garment don't fit right anymore, so I need to go by some new ones for her today.She got upset when she was dressing so I checked on her. I noticed that she seemed to be letting them 'ride low' so they were only around the narrow part of her hips, with her belly going over the top of them.  She wears a girls size 12/14 underwear (her weight is above her hips) so I may need to switch her to woman's sizes next. 

It seems that a narrow elastic band at the top is the best at staying up.

What doesn't work: The wide bands (like on yoga pants) seem to slide down faster, and once they start to slide, they go quick.  Kids size 12/14 Plus size pants (tried Lands End, Old Navy, JCP etc) seem to cover her crack better when she puts them on (higher waist) but still slide down, so that isn't the solution.  She doesn't wear dresses because the ones that would fit her waist and hang right, are too low cut (a women's normal v-neck is way too low on her). If the dress is modest enough for her chest, then it is too long or just disproportionate for her height.  Skirts have the same issues as pants. Boys pants are just built all wrong for her.  She is pretty much all belly and sides.  Her back is not big, and boys husky pants seem to have a bigger butt built into them.

I really want her to be comfortable in her clothes and to feel good about the image she projects to the world.  At the same time, she is 8yo and wants to dress and look like an 8yo.  She is already so tall that people assume she is older than she is. 

Any suggestions on what to look for in pants or under garments or pants?  I have bought and returned so many clothes ( or in the case of unders, just thrown them away after she tries them on and find they don't fit right) that I am getting really tired of the process.  I can't take her shopping because she sees the fun kids clothes stores and gets upset that she can't fit in those clothes.  She doesn't like shopping in the ladies section. :0( What 8yo would?  

If I have said anything in here to make you think that I disapprove of her body shape, I don't.  I just really want her to be able to wear clothes that fit right, and after 2 years of failing at this, I thought I would see if anyone here could possibly help.  Myself, my husband and my kids are all tall/thin, so I wonder if I am just shopping wrong for her.  Maybe there is something I am overlooking?

That sounds really frustrating.

I don't know anything about sourcing good pants of underthings, but I have other ideas.

I think I'd look into jumpers and sweater-dresses with leggings for a young look. Basically if pants are not going to co-operate, I'd work on strategies that cover the waist from above.

That's hard if she's quickly leaving girls' sizing and stayed though. Do you sew at all? Have relatives or friends that might do a few corduroy or jean jumpers for you?

Sun dresses over t-shirts might be a good possibility for something you could buy in a jr or women's size and still wear?

Or, for pants, wearing an undershirt that tucks into the pants might help the pants cling better?

Some teens are wearing a lot of leggings with oversized below-the-butt style sweat-shirts and T's. So if you want a good young look, I'd avoid that.

Looking at the photo with a man and a woman made me think that perhaps if more men are shaped 'like that' than women tend to be... Is it possible that boys pants or underwear could be a better cut for your daughter's figure? That could be a tough sell to an 8yo girl, but I'm just brainstorming here.

• Like 8

It sounds (and based on the woman in red) like she is distinctly apple-shaped.  I am apple-shaped.  High-wasted pants work best.  Ones with pleats are also good (still high-wasted).  I would take her measurements and look again at LL Bean size chart (misses sizes, not kids plus).  Maybe just go petite so the length will be closer to what you need.  

Maybe these for jeans?  (They're my fave)  http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/31109?feat=622-GN1&page=double-l-jeans-relaxed-fit-comfort-waist

I like these for pants: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68260?feat=622-GN1&page=wrinkle-free-bayside-pants-original-fit-comfort-waist-pleated

Empire style dresses look good on apple-shapes.

The modern trend is low-wasted stuff, but that does not work for apples.

High wasted "granny panties" are also best for apples.  I believe they are called "briefs." 

The 80s was a good time for apples.  A lot of that stuff is back in.  

• Like 3

Oh man, that sounds so challenging :/

Would she be open to overalls? Or wearing a tunic-type top over leggings?

Alternatively, this might sound crazy, but can you find someone who's a decent seamstress and get a few pairs of pants custom-made? I know it sounds expensive, but it might be better than buying and returning clothes, and I bet she'd be super happy to be able to pick the fabrics. 

• Like 2

According to their size charts, Lands' End girls' size 16 Plus will fit a height of 62-63" and a weight from 121-131 lbs. I know you said their pants didn't work for her, but what about a dress like this or this with some leggings? I love how a dress plus leggings eliminates the problem of gap at the back. 

• Like 2

I don't have much to offer, but while I was reading, this came to mind:

You say that dresses that fit her body are too low in the neckline. This is VERY true for me as I am high-busted. I solve this problem by wearing a camisole with literally everything I wear. It fills in the bottom parts of V-necks/scoopnecks and makes them work for me. I have a variety of colors and thankfully, don't mind the layered look. 

Maybe that's something you/she could consider. 

• Like 7

I don't have much to offer, but while I was reading, this came to mind:

You say that dresses that fit her body are too low in the neckline. This is VERY true for me as I am high-busted. I solve this problem by wearing a camisole with literally everything I wear. It fills in the bottom parts of V-necks/scoopnecks and makes them work for me. I have a variety of colors and thankfully, don't mind the layered look. 

Maybe that's something you/she could consider. 

Thanks for the idea :0)

Unfortunately, she has sensory processing disorder and can't handle layers.  She gets overheated easily.

I'm an apple and have similar problems. Seriously, the pants thing is annoying as heck, as is the underwear. You are definitely right that wide waistbands do not work well. 

I'd say leggins with tunics is the safest bet. You can hem the bottoms or just scrunch them up. As she gets a bit older dresses will be easier. Also, look into stress and insulin resistance issues, as cortisol and insulin resistance both lead to storing fat in the abdomen, and health wise that's the worst place to store it. Not to put her on a diet, but to be aware of these issues. 

• Like 3

According to their size charts, Lands' End girls' size 16 Plus will fit a height of 62-63" and a weight from 121-131 lbs. I know you said their pants didn't work for her, but what about a dress like this or this with some leggings? I love how a dress plus leggings eliminates the problem of gap at the back. 

Thanks for the idea, but she can't wear long sleeves.  She gets irritated at them and will rip the dress to get them off.  :0(  She can wear a jacket that she can take off, but not a long sleeve dress/shirt.

I might check out their clearance section for short sleeve dresses though.  The last dress I bought from them, didn't fit right, but I am happy to try again.  

If that sizing works, the dropped waist is probably not the best look.  Try a higher waisted dress like this:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-459071_A7.html?CM_MERCH=REC-_-FPPP-_-GGT-_-2-_-459071-_-462716

• Like 2

I do this, too, but instead of a cami, I wear an Old Navy tank backwards (so the highest side is in the front). As a bonus, Old Navy tanks are really long and prevent any gap in the back if I'm wearing a short top.

• Like 3

Also try jockey women's briefs for underpants as they over the "Bump" and come up to the waist.  They are 100% cotton and even the larger sized 9-10 come in very attractive and "youthful" colors, prints, and designs. 

I have also discovered that the "cheaper" corduroy leggings are thinner and stretch easier.  I got a pair at Job Lots Discount store on a lark for $10 bucks and they are great. As a matter of fact I'm wearing them right now with a big old flannel shirt on top!

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Would something like this with leggings work? http://www.amazon.com/Colorful-Space-Saturn-Sleeve-Skater/dp/B00YXLVJBG/ref=sr_1_32?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1447353830&sr=1-32&nodeID=2346727011&keywords=cowcow

They have a lot of young-looking patterns, but in women's sizes, and are either sleeveless or cap sleeve. My almost 11 yr old who has SPD can handle them, and they're not too low cut for her in the women's XS, which is probably about a 12/14 girls.

• Like 2

Thanks for the idea, but she can't wear long sleeves.  She gets irritated at them and will rip the dress to get them off.  :0(  She can wear a jacket that she can take off, but not a long sleeve dress/shirt.

I might check out their clearance section for short sleeve dresses though.  The last dress I bought from them, didn't fit right, but I am happy to try again.  

How about this:

It's got the higher waist.

http://www.landsend.com/products/girls-gathered-jersey-dress/id_263428?sku_0=::UPK

A-line will probably be flattering as well:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-457729_A7.html?CM_MERCH=REC-_-FPPP-_-GGT-_-1-_-457729-_-445504

• Like 2

Would something like this with leggings work? http://www.amazon.com/Colorful-Space-Saturn-Sleeve-Skater/dp/B00YXLVJBG/ref=sr_1_32?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1447353830&sr=1-32&nodeID=2346727011&keywords=cowcow

They have a lot of young-looking patterns, but in women's sizes, and are either sleaveless or cap sleeve. My almost 11 yr old who has SPD can handle them, and they're not too low cut for her in the women's XS, which is probably about a 12/14 girls.

No, they nip in at the waist.  The line from the sholders has to go out.  Even straight down doesn't fit.  The narrowest part has at or above the arm pit.

• Like 1

In terms of going into women's sizes, I have a 10-year-old that's around that height and weight, and I just discovered that Target sells a variety of jeans with a 28-inch inseam. Many of them are the jegging/skinny jean styles that have a good amount of stretch, so you might be able to make them work for your DD. These are the ones she's wearing right now:

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-high-rise-skinny-jean-mossimo/-/A-17092766

I also love the short-sleeved Lands End playdresses over leggings. Both my girls wore that combo for years--neither could tolerate fitted dresses, and neither was flattered by them. You can probably get short-sleeved ones on eBay pretty easily. The 16s do still fit my DD at this point. And Target's women's leggings are a bit too long for my DD, but their women's capri leggings are almost the right length--a little on the higher side, but that either gets covered by boots or looks cute with flats. 

:grouphug: It's so hard to dress them when they reach the upper end of the kids' clothing range but don't have a woman's body yet!

• Like 3

target has a yoga pant that has a wide waistband that is designed to be folded over. My daughter does not fold it over so it covers like a higher waist pant on the backside. She then can either scrunch the front under her belly or cover it, depending on her sensory needs of the day. It is in the junior/womens section and there is a good variety of sizes.

• Like 2

For a belt, you might consider something like a scarf. I carry more weight in my belly although I'm pear shaped. A regular belt tends to cut me off and doesn't look nice. I actually cut a silk scarf in two and use that as a belt. I just knot it to tie it. It's easier to adjust and doesn't give that constricted look. It's also more comfortable. 

No, they nip in at the waist.  The line from the sholders has to go out.  Even straight down doesn't fit.  The narrowest part has at or above the arm pit.

The shape you are describing is called a swing dress. Straight out from the armpits, no waistline at all. They are super, super easy to make. There are free patterns all over pinterest. You can do them sleeveless or cap sleeves. Try also the four rectangle dress. You would want some of your rectangles to flare out a bit, but it's a very simple construction. Definitely a youthful style. You can use fun print, too.

Other than that, my thoughts were overalls when she needs pants, and dresses or tunics the rest of the time.

• Like 3

Hanna Andersson and H&M and other Scandanavian clothing outlets have styles to fit your daughter who sounds like she is going to be an adorable buxom gal. LL Bean also works for basics. My partner's family, German, are built like this. Think Swedish farm girl / German baker type for a positive vision of this body type. High waist, accented sleeves, etc.

Maternity pants? They make them without the ginormous panel for the mid-stages. http://m.target.com/p/ll-jegging-dixie-wash/-/A-17124687

Has she tried yoga pants with the waistband folded up instead of down? Athletic-style leggings will have waists with better stretch and recovery to hold them up better. They usually come in capri length, which could help you avoid hemming.

Justice has plus sizes, but if she's out of a ladies' medium, I think she's sized out of there.

Target has young-ish graphic tees. You'll probably need to size way up because they're supposed to be slim-fitting juniors sizes.

I'd definitely size up to ladies' unders. If she doesn't have a ladies' length rise yet, the bikini style will hit low-waist but not as low as they would on a woman.

So this is a really out-there idea, and with her sensory issues it might not work -- but is there any way you could find her a *comfy* pair of suspenders she could wear attached to her pants but UNDER her shirts, so the pants would stay up? They'd need to be easy to release/re-attach, of course, for going to the bathroom... Hmmm, it's an idea that would need some work!

Find a seamstress and hire her to sew a wardrobe of cotton jersey dresses, tunics, and jumpers.  Either swing dresses or with a high empire waist. Go online to the major pattern sites and make a pinterest board of the styles you like and meet with a seamstress.  Unless you go organic or extravagent with the fabrics this will cost as much as a mid-to-high end department store, and everything will fit your family's modesty requirements and still make her look like a child.

Other options:

http://www.jcpenney.com/kids/shop-girls/shop-all-girls/shop-girls-by-size/girls-plus/dresses/_/N-1nox53Z1z141cr/cat.jump?cmJCP_T=XGN3&cmJCP_C=Feature&id=cat100260039&deptId=dept20000016&cm_re=S2-_-CAT-_-GIRLS_PLUS_DRESSES

http://www.oldnavy.com/products/girls-plus-size-dresses.jsp

http://www.sears.com/kids-clothing-girls-clothing-girls-plus-clothing-girls-plus-dresses/b-1282044457

My apple shaped girl strongly prefers hipster and boy cut panties. We have been getting these at Aerie, but you can find them other places. They ride just below her belly and fit her narrow hips.

When she was 8-12yo, she exclusively wore long t-shirts (think mid thigh and longer) and swing style loose dresses over shorts or leggings. The leggings we bought were actually thin long underwear style with a very high waist. These days I buy her Cuddleduds brand leggings - not sure if they have kids sizes.

Now that she is 14, she has some jeggings that are high waisted and a pair of yoga pants (also from aerie) that have a high waist and are comfortable. Long loose tunics and shirts are winners too.

I'm an apple and have similar problems. Seriously, the pants thing is annoying as heck, as is the underwear. You are definitely right that wide waistbands do not work well. 

I'd say leggins with tunics is the safest bet. You can hem the bottoms or just scrunch them up. As she gets a bit older dresses will be easier. Also, look into stress and insulin resistance issues, as cortisol and insulin resistance both lead to storing fat in the abdomen, and health wise that's the worst place to store it. Not to put her on a diet, but to be aware of these issues. 

Thank you!

The BTDT advice is really what I need.  It is hard unless you live in this body style to understand how hard it is to look put together without clothes looking sloppy. 

Thank you!

The BTDT advice is really what I need.  It is hard unless you live in this body style to understand how hard it is to look put together without clothes looking sloppy. 

LOL...yeah, ido often look pretty sloppy I'm afraid. Yoga pants and a long tshirt are what I wear a lot, and before that it was jeans and a tshirt. When she gets older those V-Necks will fit better, and they can be your friend as far as making the torso look longer rather than rounder. Also, I have no butt, so I get that too. Faux wrap style dresses look the best on me, but obviously that isn't play wear for a child. But when she's older they will look good!

Oh, and if you click on my weight loss blog in my signature you can see some pictures of me, and see if we hae similar body shapes. 

• Like 1

I relate to this way too much. Ugh! It is no fun to have to hike up your pants every four steps.

May I suggest trying Lee's comfort waist jeans? They are sold at JC Penney & Walmart, etc. The waistband not only stretches, but it has some grab to it because it basically has a wide piece of gentle elastic lining the inside of the waistband. Tucking in a thin cotton undershirt would give the elastic something grippier to hold on to and keep it from being bothersome. I have a few pairs that are cut well for an apple shape.

I have a collection of Mossimo tee shirts that are cut wide. They don't cling like most tees and have a nice v-neck that isn't too deep (but the tank would take care of that anyway).

I have found that a shapewear camisole layered over jeans holds them up nicely. I get microfiber ones and as long as you cut out a tag, they shouldn't irritate. They might be a touch warm, but it could be worth it. You can find them at Walmart & Target. It basically functions as a belt or suspenders as long as it overlaps the waistband.

LOL...yeah, ido often look pretty sloppy I'm afraid. Yoga pants and a long tshirt are what I wear a lot, and before that it was jeans and a tshirt. When she gets older those V-Necks will fit better, and they can be your friend as far as making the torso look longer rather than rounder. Also, I have no butt, so I get that too. Faux wrap style dresses look the best on me, but obviously that isn't play wear for a child. But when she's older they will look good!

Oh, and if you click on my weight loss blog in my signature you can see some pictures of me, and see if we hae similar body shapes. 

Your very pretty in your picture, so I doubt you look sloppy at all.  Just a natural beauty out for the day in jeans and a T.

I think the thing that tends to look sloppy, is that I have to buy her clothes that are too big (obviously adult clothes on a kid) to avoid 'cling'.  

Can you sew or know anyone that does? Attaching a skirt to a t-shirt is an easy way to make a sensory friendly dress or tunic that covers everything. Also, she'd be able to choose fun kid-prints to attach to ladies-sized Ts. This way she could wear leggings or jeggings underneath and still be comfortable, stylish, and age-appropriate.

http://dressagirlaroundtheworld-va.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-best-t-shirt-dress-tutorial.html

• Like 3

I will agree with the leggings and dress/tunics has the best little girl options for her. Hannah Andersson will not fit. Their largest size is significantly smaller than the largest girls sizes at Lands End, Kolh's, and Justice.

My oldest outgrew most children's sizes about this age. She is now 11 and has outgrown the Land's End sizes completely, but can still wear size 20.5 from Sears and/or Kohl's and has one size 20 shirt from Justice. I only recently discovered that Justice went up to size 20.

Your very pretty in your picture, so I doubt you look sloppy at all.  Just a natural beauty out for the day in jeans and a T.

I think the thing that tends to look sloppy, is that I have to buy her clothes that are too big (obviously adult clothes on a kid) to avoid 'cling'.  

I get that. I often wear pants/shorts that are really too big, to keep them comfortable in the waist when I sit down. But that means they are baggy in the butt and thighs. Same with shirts, I tend to wear them too big, although that's getting better. 

Once I looked at the picture, I sort of got what you were saying and I'm thinking that the clothes she wears need to be chosen so that the waist doesn't matter (visually).  So, very long tops/tunics (which are totally in style right now) over whatever sort of jeans/pants/leggings fit her waist comfortably.  Dresses of whatever sort she likes (consider paperweight t-shirts for underneath if necklines are a problem).  What I'm mostly getting at is just cover her waist visually, so that she can look properly dressed, but also so that if the waist moves inappropriately she doesn't have to worry about being exposed and can feel more relaxed in her clothes.

I am an apple and finding pants that fit is a real struggle! I agree that low rise pants are a big no-no; fortunately a higher rise is in style right now and easier to find. I also understand the need for a high rise but with a shorter inseam: I have a long torso with average legs so I get tall pants for the rise length and then have to hem them so the legs aren't too long.

For her age I think leggings with a long shirt/tunic is the best solution. Look for tops that have a boxy cut so they don't nip in at the wrong point. The other thing I would try is joggers. They are very "in" right now as street wear-I've seen women wearing them with a blouse and heels! They usually have a drawstring at the waist and it doesn't matter is the butt and hips don't fit exactly right because they are supposed to be slouchy. They come in all kinds of different styles, colors and fabrics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Navy has some swing dresses with high necklines right now. They would be cute with leggings.

Girls' sizes http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=7404#size=59-1%3A668%7C36-1%3A1112%7C57-1%3A647%7C58-1%3A657&pageId=1

Women's sizes http://www.oldnavy.com/products/swing-dress.jsp

Try shopping the petite section so that clothing fits her shorter arm and inseam length better, too.

I may be your daughter, lol. I also need my sleeves to get wider, or they drive me nuts. And hate wearing most long sleeves, especially if tight. Baggy ones are maybe okay. And yes, I have sensory issues :)

LOL  Oh how I would love to hand you my CC and for you to take her shopping. You could probably knock out a years wardrobe in a half a day, just by knowing what to look for.  Of course in my dream world, you would get some outfits too (paid by me) since you were saving my sanity!  :lol:

LOL  Oh how I would love to hand you my CC and for you to take her shopping. You could probably knock out a years wardrobe in a half a day, just by knowing what to look for.  Of course in my dream world, you would get some outfits too (paid by me) since you were saving my sanity!  :lol:

Hate to burst your bubble, but I hate shopping, lol!  I actually have to go this weekend because my pants fell off in the grocery store parking lot this week...luckily I had on a long t-shirt and grabbed them before anyone noticed. But yeah, time to shop. Boo. I hate it. But I waited long enough I can probalby shop now, then not again until I hit my weight loss goal. So that's good.