Menu

Aargh! Insuring teen drivers

Lawana

So we just bought dd a used vehicle for high school graduation. She and ds have been insured on our current vehicles, but now that we have a car just for dd, our insurance is going up $3700 a year. Pretty shocking.

For those interested, the $3700 breaks down to $2100 for full coverage on dd's new to her 2008 Honda CRV, and the rest for ds becoming the primary driver (as opposed to occasional driver) of our very old, worth only $900 van with only liability.

Our quotes were just a fraction of that but even so they were more than our budget could sustain.  Hence the reason my 17 (almost 18) year old doesn't have a license.  He doesn't even have a temps since he would have to go through driver's ed and the cost of that was more than we could swing.  If we wait another 3 months he can get his temps and skip the class.

• Like 2

Huh, interesting!  Our car insurance (Progressive) only went up $50 each time we added a teen driver.  They don't necessarily have cars right away and when they do, they're 10+ years old, but that still seems like a lot. 

$50 per year?  Or $50 per 6 months? Or $50 per month?

• Like 1

We have Progressive. 

To add a teen driver to our two vehicles would have bumped our rate $30/month. 

Grandma gave one kid a car, and it cost $115/month to add the car and driver to our policy.  For some reason all licensed drivers in the household must be insured to drive all cars in the household.  I'm not sure how that works if you move out and get an unrelated roommate?

Rates depend on the car's age & safety record, the driver's age, experience, and safety record, plus grades if they are a student, the area you live (rural vs urban) and the purpose for the vehicle (short commute vs leisure, etc.).

This stuff is the reason oldest didn't get their license until they were 18!

• Like 1

That seems pretty high.  Do you live in a area that is expensive to insure cars? I would check around on rates.  On State Farm our rates were similar to what we have now on AllState.  Our teens having their own cars never cost us more that $100 per month. 

We have 3 cars and pay apx $1000 per car, a total of $3000 per year with AllState:

(dh has a company car)

Dh and I are on my 2015 Outback

DD17 primary on a 2001 VW Golf

DS20 primary on a 2000 Volvo S40.

We have high levels of full coverage on all cars and $500 deductible.  We do have some discounts like safe driving, multiple policies, teens who took drivers ed, etc, but nothing over the ordinary discounts. 

• Like 1

My oldest is male. Male teens are the most expensive. My oldest has chosen not to drive. It's a pain, but it also saves us money. My dd drives. She has the honor student discount. We have a 2006 Prius and 2002 forester. We won't help anyone get a car until they are able to take care of all expenses, including insurance on their own. While in college my dc are expected to prioritize studies and the work they do goes to college expenses. Adding my dd to the cars we have cost less than 300/year. I have friends with sons who got quotes of an additional 2000 a year (I remind myself of this every time I drive my son somewhere, although he has worked his own transit quite a bit in our suburb).

• Like 1

Yes, we have looked around. Dh has spent quite a bit of time on the phone with this. And since dh is a veteran, USAA is an option. It would save us a bunch for dh and me, but the kids were more. Does anyone else have a different experience?

Also, we have always carried high limits, due to dh's work requirements. Perhaps that is figuring in here?

No fault insurance in Michigan makes insuring teen drivers very expensive. Ds bought a used car - about 7 years old - and thankfully is co-owner with his dad so he can be on our insurance - $300.00 a month is what it cost to add him. If he had tried to get his own policy at age 18 the lowest quote he was given from nine different insurance companies was $7200.00 a year for a policy with brutally high deductibles. Oh, and he paid cash so there was no lien holder that would have to be paid in the event of totaling the car which is supposed to mean getting a discount.

Yes, you read that right.

Male, and 18. In this state it is not a demographic that causes a lot of accidents, it's actually male, 30's and 40's and driving a pick up truck (that is the biggest accident group in this state), but they sock it to these kids anyway though they aren't the ones out there causing problems. Our friends with daughters are paying $225.00 per month each time they add a girl. So there is definitely gender discrimination though it is supposed to be illegal now. Doesn't matter. The insurance lobby in this state OWNS our legislature, lock, stock, and barrel. Total corruption.

Interestingly the state police now estimate that 40% of drivers on the roads here are uninsured. Not surprising. The median income is only $32,000.00 a year. Who can afford those kinds of premiums on top of all the other costs of living?

• Like 2

I sell auto insurance for a major company and some of the replies on this thread annoy me! First of all....it is what it is and there is no way we can just make up rates. When you add a young driver, you're going to pay for it. They are young and they are inexperienced. Plain and simple. Get this....as you get older (after 65) your rates go up too...because as we age, we become a hazard. Yes, it's true. Oh and just because your car gets older doesn't mean it's going to be cheaper to insure, quite the opposite in fact. As cars age, parts get harder to find and in return those parts cost more because they are harder to insure. If you have 3 drivers and 3 cars, you're going to pay more because each driver has to be listed as a primary driver now. Call you insurance company, if this is your situation, and ask for the youngest driver to be listed as the primary driver on the oldest car. It doesn't matter which car they actually drive (in NYS anyway) because the insurance follows the vehicle. See if your company offers good student discounts, defensive driver discounts, drive wise discounts...a little device that monitors certain things, all of these things will discount your premium. I always advise our customers who are having new drivers coming up, to call us with an idea of what kind of car they want to buy junior and we can give them an idea of what it is going to cost...have the VIN? even better, we can give an exact price. So guys, don't be so quick to get billy or suzy their license, yes it is more convenient but it is going to cost you. Go ahead shop around, that's a great idea and you should, but don't expect great price reductions and remember if you do call a certain company and they give you a rock bottom price, be prepared to have your rate greatly increase very quickly...they get you in with low rates but insurance is insurance no matter how you look at it and for those that think the agent can make up the rate (and yes there are people who think this) we can't. the computer does all the work, we just tell you what the computer tells us! I sell insurance in NYS so that is how it is done here, i have no idea how other states do it

• Like 4

I sell auto insurance for a major company and some of the replies on this thread annoy me! First of all....it is what it is and there is no way we can just make up rates. When you add a young driver, you're going to pay for it. They are young and they are inexperienced. Plain and simple. Get this....as you get older (after 65) your rates go up too...because as we age, we become a hazard. Yes, it's true. Oh and just because your car gets older doesn't mean it's going to be cheaper to insure, quite the opposite in fact. As cars age, parts get harder to find and in return those parts cost more because they are harder to insure. If you have 3 drivers and 3 cars, you're going to pay more because each driver has to be listed as a primary driver now. Call you insurance company, if this is your situation, and ask for the youngest driver to be listed as the primary driver on the oldest car. It doesn't matter which car they actually drive (in NYS anyway) because the insurance follows the vehicle. See if your company offers good student discounts, defensive driver discounts, drive wise discounts...a little device that monitors certain things, all of these things will discount your premium. I always advise our customers who are having new drivers coming up, to call us with an idea of what kind of car they want to buy junior and we can give them an idea of what it is going to cost...have the VIN? even better, we can give an exact price. So guys, don't be so quick to get billy or suzy their license, yes it is more convenient but it is going to cost you. Go ahead shop around, that's a great idea and you should, but don't expect great price reductions and remember if you do call a certain company and they give you a rock bottom price, be prepared to have your rate greatly increase very quickly...they get you in with low rates but insurance is insurance no matter how you look at it and for those that think the agent can make up the rate (and yes there are people who think this) we can't. the computer does all the work, we just tell you what the computer tells us! I sell insurance in NYS so that is how it is done here, i have no idea how other states do it

I didn't notice anyone accusing agents of making things up. We were just sharing our experience and advising the OP to shop around.

• Like 6

We've been told from friends locally who have recently added teenage boys to their auto insurance policies that their rates go up by $250-350 per MONTH.   I think this definitely varies by the area in which you live.  

Our neighbor's son caused an accident when he was 15 and had his learner's permit.   Not only did he have to wait a full year after the accident before he was allowed to obtain his regular driver's license, but his insurance rate more than doubled.   

• Like 1

Huh, interesting!  Our car insurance (Progressive) only went up $50 each time we added a teen driver.  They don't necessarily have cars right away and when they do, they're 10+ years old, but that still seems like a lot. 

Did your teen have access to a separate car?  We own more cars than official drivers.  Even though our teen driver wasn't the "primary driver" for said car she was required to be listed as such and as a result caused our insurance to skyrocket.  If we had fewer cars than potential drivers it would not have been the same rate, but a much lower one.

• Like 1

We've been told from friends locally who have recently added teenage boys to their auto insurance policies that their rates go up by $250-350 per MONTH.   I think this definitely varies by the area in which you live.  

Our neighbor's son caused an accident when he was 15 and had his learner's permit.   Not only did he have to wait a full year after the accident before he was allowed to obtain his regular driver's license, but his insurance rate more than doubled.   

There isn't much difference between boy and girl insurance rates anymore.  Ours went up by that much, although we were able to make adjustments and lower a couple of vehicles to liability only, due to the vehicles' ages no longer making full coverage financially worth it.  Even our insurance agent agreed that liability only was a good choice for the vehicles in question.

• Like 1

Ours (State Farm) only went up $800 a year for which I was pleasantly surprised. However, we didn't get him a car. We have 3 drivers and 2 cars. Two friends recently bought used cars for their teens and their costs went up considerably. It seems there's a difference when the teen has a car. We were told by our agent that if we do get ds a car, we should put it in one of our names not his, to keep the cost down. One of the friends did that with their daughter's car, but their bill still went way up. I'm wondering if the number of cars vs. the number of drivers makes a difference. 

Oh, and it's true that the difference between rates for girls and boys is not what it used to be. 

• Like 1

I have four teen boys. The cost of insuring four teen drivers is too much for us. Hence, 3 of the 4 have waited until they are 18 to learn to drive.

You're lucky you can do that. Where I live the insurance companies base the rates on everyone of driving age within the household whether they're licensed and driving or not. So when dd turns sixteen, our rates will go up even if she doesn't get her license. It's actually MORE if they don't have a license, because unless there is a medical waiver, the insurance company assumes the person is driving illegally and takes that into account. It's ridiculous. 

• Like 2

Did your teen have access to a separate car?  We own more cars than official drivers.  Even though our teen driver wasn't the "primary driver" for said car she was required to be listed as such and as a result caused our insurance to skyrocket.  If we had fewer cars than potential drivers it would not have been the same rate, but a much lower one.

Yes, I think this is what happened with our friends. And it could be why we haven't seen our rate skyrocket.

I currently pay nearly $700 a month. 3 insured drivers on financed, relatively new cars (full coverage needed.) My son purchased his own car (financed) but I pay his insurance because if he got it solo, it would be more than his car payment! (Side note, even a decent hourly rate - full time - does not make for a living wage.) My dd's car for college is rated for her college town and not Houston.

I shudder to think what will happen in Jan when my youngest' permit becomes a license.

• Like 1

You're lucky you can do that. Where I live the insurance companies base the rates on everyone of driving age within the household whether they're licensed and driving or not. So when dd turns sixteen, our rates will go up even if she doesn't get her license. It's actually MORE if they don't have a license, because unless there is a medical waiver, the insurance company assumes the person is driving illegally and takes that into account. It's ridiculous. 

Wow, that stinks. When ds got his learner's permit I called our ins. company and they said it doesn't affect our rates until he became an actual licensed driver. He only got his license over the summer, nearly 3 years after getting his permit, so we went those 3 years without an increase. It was only after he got his regular license that we had to add him to our policy. I suppose that's because until then he wasn't allowed to drive unsupervised.

Wow, that stinks. When ds got his learner's permit I called our ins. company and they said it doesn't affect our rates until he became an actual licensed driver. He only got his license over the summer, nearly 3 years after getting his permit, so we went those 3 years without an increase. It was only after he got his regular license that we had to add him to our policy. I suppose that's because until then he wasn't allowed to drive unsupervised.

That is how it is here also.

I've heard other people say it's like this where they live. I don't understand how that's even legal.  My dd is 23 and isn't licensed and might never decide to learn to drive...crazy to think that someone would require me to insure her. 

Is that even legal?  How can they charge a person for not having a license?  Not everyone wants to or is able to drive.  Do you have to report how many people are in your family to get insurance?  I ask because my insurance has never asked how many kids I have or what their ages are. I know they don't go on the insurance until they have an actual driver's license so I've never discussed them with my company.  They have no idea how many are of driving age.

• Like 1

I sell auto insurance for a major company  (snip for space)  i have no idea how other states do it

We owned an Allstate Insurance agency and yes, agents do have some control over what people are charged.   Not by adjusting the actual cost of each part of the insurance.... but by offering extras that tack on costs, that aren't necessarily needed.   

A good agent will go over thing with a fine tooth comb with you. Little things like do you have a car in excellent condition with low miles and lots of life left.  Get an estimate of what it will be worth if it is totaled.  Sometimes the car may be worth more to the family in value, that the totaled value is.  You may get $2000 for an insurance value, but to replace the same car will cost $5000.  You may want to get a bit of extra coverage for that car.  But if that is a car with high miles, some minor damage to the exterior and can be replaced for $1000, then you may want to just go with liability on it.  

Making sure all the discounts are applied appropriately is another thing that agents have control over.  Making sure that thing like penalties are dropped when they need to be (tickets, etc).  Sometimes if one adult has a bad driving record, they may be better off on their own policy so it doesn't affect everyone else. 

In our area prices are based on the licenced drivers in a home.  If one of the drivers decides to not drive....they can't just be taken off the policy....unless they surrender their license to the DMV.  I know a family who chose to do this, for their teen son who was in two accidents the first year of driving. Neither were his fault but it was just too expensive for him to be on the insurance.   He went back to riding public transportation and never looked back.  10 years later and he still hasn't decided to get it back. 

Also different companies just charge more!  Agencies cater to certain clienteles.  Allstate and State Farm give good discounts to safe drivers with lower risks.   Farmers has better rates for high risk clients.  

• Like 1

We've always added 17 year old male drivers with their own vehicle for about $86 a month for full coverage. You might want to shop around for a better rate. We live in a bedroom community of a mid-size city with a low cost of living.

Wow, I don't know where you live but that is about what dh and I pay. We both have excellent driving records. And our cars are a 2002 and a 2004.

Wow, just when I thought I had heard everything. Is this true in CA, anyone know?

Is that even legal?  How can they charge a person for not having a license?  Not everyone wants to or is able to drive.  Do you have to report how many people are in your family to get insurance?  I ask because my insurance has never asked how many kids I have or what their ages are. I know they don't go on the insurance until they have an actual driver's license so I've never discussed them with my company.  They have no idea how many are of driving age.

It must be. We go through a reputable insurance agent, and that's what they told us. Dh doesn't drive anymore for medical reasons, and I've been telling him to just go get his stupid license even if he won't use it because maybe our insurance would go down, but it's been long enough that he'd have to retake the test or something and he refuses and clings stubbornly to his state ID. *sigh*

I can't remember what we had to tell them when we signed up for insurance. I'm guessing it was something to do with people in the household over a certain age. They really need to pass some kind of reform here though, because the laws are ridiculous.

In our area prices are based on the licenced drivers in a home.  If one of the drivers decides to not drive....they can't just be taken off the policy....unless they surrender their license to the DMV.  I know a family who chose to do this, for their teen son who was in two accidents the first year of driving. Neither were his fault but it was just too expensive for him to be on the insurance.   He went back to riding public transportation and never looked back.  10 years later and he still hasn't decided to get it back. 

It must be. We go through a reputable insurance agent, and that's what they told us. Dh doesn't drive anymore for medical reasons, and I've been telling him to just go get his stupid license even if he won't use it because maybe our insurance would go down, but it's been long enough that he'd have to retake the test or something and he refuses and clings stubbornly to his state ID. *sigh*

I can't remember what we had to tell them when we signed up for insurance. I'm guessing it was something to do with people in the household over a certain age. They really need to pass some kind of reform here though, because the laws are ridiculous.

Was your DH on this insurance at one time?  I wondering if what Tap is talking about is what is happening to you.  The insurance company won't believe that someone who was once licensed isn't anymore and so they are charging you for it.  I wondering if you could file some kind of paperwork that your DH isn't able to drive for medical reasons anymore if they would let you take him off (and not charge you for it)

Huh. Been doing some reading about this because it just sounds so wrong to do that to people. So just because a kid is 16 and *might* break the law or drive in an emergency, you have to pay to insure the kid? That's just nuts.  So why limit it to people old enough to drive? Why not make us pay to insure little kids who might play in the car, or the thief who steals the car? Just crazy.  

I thought if you let someone unlicensed drive your car and it was damaged, the insurance just didn't pay. ( I guess they'd pay for damages done to another person or car)   Because that's an illegal act- much like if you have a meth lab in your kitchen and it explodes, your homeowner's insurance is not going to pay to replace your house because you were performing an illegal act.  (At least my homeowner's insurance talks about not paying for illegal activity- don't know how universal that rule is) 

• Like 1

Was your DH on this insurance at one time?  I wondering if what Tap is talking about is what is happening to you.  The insurance company won't believe that someone who was once licensed isn't anymore and so they are charging you for it.  I wondering if you could file some kind of paperwork that your DH isn't able to drive for medical reasons anymore if they would let you take him off (and not charge you for it)

They told us when we signed up that he HAD to be on the insurance whether he's a licensed driver or not. 

I should probably look into this more. I just assumed when they told me it was state law that it actually was state law, but now I'm starting to wonder if they might be trying to screw us.

Huh. Been doing some reading about this because it just sounds so wrong to do that to people. So just because a kid is 16 and *might* break the law or drive in an emergency, you have to pay to insure the kid? That's just nuts.  So why limit it to people old enough to drive? Why not make us pay to insure little kids who might play in the car, or the thief who steals the car? Just crazy.  

I thought if you let someone unlicensed drive your car and it was damaged, the insurance just didn't pay. ( I guess they'd pay for damages done to another person or car)   Because that's an illegal act- much like if you have a meth lab in your kitchen and it explodes, your homeowner's insurance is not going to pay to replace your house because you were performing an illegal act.  (At least my homeowner's insurance talks about not paying for illegal activity- don't know how universal that rule is) 

I think I should do some reading about it too, because now I'm starting to wonder. But yes, that is what they told me.

I just called about my ds. When he passes his road test, it will add $72 a month to our insurance. That will put him as primary driver on a third car. We use a large, national chain, not an off brand. I'm shocked that some people's insurance is so expensive. That would be awful!

• Like 1

I just called about my ds. When he passes his road test, it will add $72 a month to our insurance. That will put him as primary driver on a third car. We use a large, national chain, not an off brand. I'm shocked that some people's insurance is so expensive. That would be awful!

For a lot of people, those big price are due to living in a no-fault state. No, you do not receive any great benefit from no fault.

Can't wait to retire and leave this state. One of the main criteria for where we land will be reasonable car insurance rates, ie. NOT no-fault.

• Like 2

$50 per year?  Or $50 per 6 months? Or $50 per month?

They pay me about ~$50 per month for their car insurance, so it's 300 every six months when we renew. 

The 22yo and 19yo each own their own cars.  The 22yo male pays $50 and the 19yo female pays $40. 

ETA - I should add, for comparison's sake, that we with Allstate when our oldest son got his license.  Our insurance had already increased with them, following a small bumper to bumper incident, and then it was going to go up $200/mo. more with a licensed teen driver.  That's when I shopped around and both Geico and Progressive had the rates I mentioned above, but in my research Progressive came out ahead when it came to claim processing so we chose them.  (And we've had one claim with them and it went smoothly). 

For a lot of people, those big price are due to living in a no-fault state. No, you do not receive any great benefit from no fault.

Can't wait to retire and leave this state. One of the main criteria for where we land will be reasonable car insurance rates, ie. NOT no-fault.

I think this is totally it. Dd recently moved to a no fault state and their car insurance skyrocketed even though it was the same company they've always used.  

Wow, I don't know where you live but that is about what dh and I pay. We both have excellent driving records. And our cars are a 2002 and a 2004.

Yes, our rates are low, but our cars are 2007, 2003, and 2001. We don't have accidental glass breakage, which was more expensive. We've also been with the same agent for sixteen years so maybe that along with only one claim and clean driving records has helped keep the cost down.

Florida is a no-fault state and we don't have those outrageous prices. As I said upthread adding ds 18 only increased our insurance by $800 a year, or about $67 a month. And that's with a big national company (State Farm) not exactly known for low prices. We do get a discount for having both our auto and homeowner's insurance with them, but it's not a big discount.