Menu

So, while I'm waiting, can you tell me about your c-section recovery?

Chris in VA

Mine was easy. It was an emergency C section and I had never even considered it a possibility.

My parents came while I was in the hospital and stayed with us, but rather than helping me I had to do stuff for them like get them coffee (and take it upstairs), pick up take out, etc. I guess that was okay. I think I was totally recovered within a few days. I don't really remember it being an issue, but of course I had cuter and more interesting things to think about. :). I wouldn't have asked for help even if I had planned it, though.

I would have liked to know about the possibility of shoulder pain, and the importance of walking walking walking while still in the hospital. I would make sure my bed was easy to get into, and if not make sure the couch is comfy. I would have liked to know that during the actual procedure it feels like they are waaay up in your chest. It's odd.

Mine was particularly bad for breastfeeding and bonding. I needed way more support as a new mom with no family around, and really strongly encourage women to not supplement with formula in those first few days and keep nursing, either side lying or football clutch, and trying and trying. The surgery messed with my hormones postpartum and made bonding really challenging, and that was exacerbated by not keeping the baby skin to skin more. It's a vicious cycle, but the baby isn't going to starve from four or even five days of colostrum, even if it feels like they're getting nothing. I bawled my eyes out over that.

Belly binding is amazing and needful. She needs to keep pressure against her abdomen from something for the first week or three. It helps SO much when you don't feel quite so badly like your guts are going to fall out of you :)

Resting, really resting and staying in bed as much as possible the first three or four weeks, is so important. Too many women do damage to their bodies by moving and exercising too soon postpartum. Even if you feel great, give it another week! Giving her permission to lay in bed as much as possible and leave all laundry and cleaning to other people is important. Stock the fridge and freezer with easy heat and eat meals. Let me reiterate encouraging her endlessly to rest. This is the time to start a new, engrossing show on Netflix. She doesn't have other children and has the luxury of actually resting in recovery! She needs to do it :)

Honestly, I think it is super individual. I think I was a freak of nature or running on pain killers and massive adrenaline. I had a c-section with my first after hours of labor and attempted pushing. I was up and moving easily the next day and did a major grocery shop the day I got out the the hospital. Less than a week later, I had to climb in a window because I locked myself out of the house.

But I know many people are not that energetic. I think it really depends. I was also only 21, that may have had something to do with it.

• Like 3

Honestly, I think it is super individual. I think I was a freak of nature or running on pain killers and massive adrenaline. I had a c-section with my first after hours of labor and attempted pushing. I was up and moving easily the next day and did a major grocery shop the day I got out the the hospital. Less than a week later, I had to climb in a window because I locked myself out of the house.

But I know many people are not that energetic. I think it really depends. I was also only 21, that may have had something to do with it.

Oh, been there, done that. The problem is it messed badly with my abdominal muscles and pelvic floor, and I bled for almost nine weeks because I kept overdoing it. I had the energy and wanted to get moving and felt guilty and stir crazy whenever I tried to rest. I needed people to tell me, repeatedly, to sit on my butt and recover.

It didn't matter with the first two babies. The last three, however, had me feeling the effects of not taking better care of my reproductive organs the first two times :o

I was 30 and much the same. It never occurred to me to rest extra. I had houseguests! :)

• Like 2

I've had 4. The number one thing I wanted for all of them was people to bring me prepared meals. They were a lifesaver. Instead of worrying about take out or what dh was going to prepare he got to tend to the rest of the house and still get in a lot of relax time for himself. He also brought all meals to me in bed for my 4th, which was more difficult to recover from because I had a cold I was fighting off.

-Other helpful things were doing laundry for me(ask about this one and dont ask more than once because some people are weird about others doing their laundry.)

- doing dishes so I didn't have to think about it. I hate seeing a sink of dirty dishes and will do them if t

I see it.

- just coming over to hang out because newborns really are boring and mine were never difficult so recovering was so boring for me.

Aside from my 4th c/s, I could do anything within reason. So being reminded to take it easy was helpful for me because I got so bored that I'd try to start doing too much.

• Like 2

I have had three now (ugh) and they were indeed all different.

The ticket is walking as much as possible IN the hospital, and as little as possible OUT of the hospital. So have everything gathered up in one, comfortable spot at home.

IME, the on-time and late babies were easy to get my milk in and BF if I were so inclined. The early baby (expectedly) was difficult to get going with breast milk.

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO PUT ON SOCKS. So help her get her socks on :-D

Stool. Softeners. Just...yes. Do not delay.

Emotional support.......Being in extra pain while having all the post-delivery hormones coursing through your system can be really overwhelming. [or not]. Like, hit in the face by a brick wall overwhelming. As hootie says, Just Let Her Cry.

Do whatever you gotta do to get a daily shower in.

This was me- I was 31. Emergency C section after 24 hrs labor with 2 hrs pushing. Honestly, I was in firm denial that I had a c section. :-) I kept telling myself that my recovery should be the same as if I had the birth I wanted, so I was going to make it so. And the more my MIL pushed me to rest and let her take care of things, the more stubborn I was about not needing to rest. So, I drove myself to get my prescription advil the day I got home from the hospital, and was back at work as a gymnastics coach less than 3 weeks after DS was born. 

Breast feeding was hard and I wasn't able to do it successfully though. That's the part I regret the most. I saw a lactation consultant almost every day and after 2 weeks, finally had to start supplementing and gave it up completely by 6 weeks because I was getting almost nothing when I pumped. 

At first I needed help to get up out of bed and it took a week or more before I could walk downstairs.

Oh yeah! I walk down the stairs once a day, and up them once a day. A week out and I do not feel comfortable carrying the baby on th stairs.

I have had 2 c-sections in my 30's and it took me a week on strong pain meds to get to feeling almost normal.  My nurses messed with my meds in the hospital---put them on the board to be as needed if I asked, and I about went crazy from the pain.  I didn't have my contacts in and was loopy from the surgery/pain/meds and didn't know I had to ask for them. So someone to advocate for you would be awesome!!  

I did freezer meals ahead and that was wonderful--I hated having people in and out of my house while trying to nurse, etc. First baby, I slept on the floor (air mattress) in the living room because my parents came to visit and they needed our bed because they are older.  I also had to cook/wash dishes, etc because my mom sat with her nose in a book most of the time.  (Just writing this makes me angry.)

Normally, I am a low-maintenance, do for others kind of person, and not usually ill enough to ask for help. And apparently, everyone thought that I could continue that with major surgery.  Speak up for yourself or have someone who will.  Rest as much as you can.  

Hmm. So I hear y'all saying, "Ask her what she needs, and strongly suggest she rests!"

Be careful with the "strongly suggesting she rests".  DF has had several and each one swears that if she hears that one more time, they will be needing the rest.  :lol: .  She had a tally sheet and counted 31 times in 5 hours.  

• Like 2

I had my first (emergency) c-section at almost 33.  It wasn't a big deal.  I was tired from pushing for so long and getting no sleep for about 48 hours during labor/delivery.  And of course sore and hurting for the first week or so, but DS had been laying on a nerve before he was born, and that was worse than the pain/discomfort following the c-section.  I think my mom and MIL came and piddled around a little bit, but I pretty much had to find things for them to do to make them feel useful.

I was almost 36 for the second one and it was planned.  It was a total non event.  I had the c-section on Tuesday morning, went home Wednesday morning and we all went out and did a bit of shopping on Thursday afternoon.

• Like 1

Oh my, I can't imagine just reading on the couch and expecting a new mom (much less a new c-sect mom!) to wait on you! How awful. :grouphug: :grouphug:

I will be very helpful. :D

I don't cook really well, but I can make simple stuff, and I'm calming. LOL...

I'm sure you'll be a huge blessing for her!

Have the number of an IBCLC on hand for breastfeeding issues. Do not take breastfeeding advice from anyone (including medically trained people: doctors, nurses, "lactation consultants" without certification.) It's $50 an hour for in home consult by an IBCLC which is nothing compared to the cost of formula and doctor visits associated with not breastfeeding. It's rare to need more than one or two consults.

No guests unless mom genuinely wants to see them and then visits should be kept very short.

Don't let anyone who may be exposed to an illness that involves vomiting anywhere near mom, dad or you.

• Like 1

I felt my regular birth was a lot harder to recover from than my c-section, but I imagine that varies.

My mom stayed with me for two weeks. I was limited in driving, and having her was helpful for that. She let me do a lot of sleeping and bonding. That part was lovely, but not specific to the c-section.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is think about where the baby will sleep. We originally had planned a low bassinet in our room, but after an unexpected C, that became impractical. Bending over to pick up 7-9 lbs of "really should not be dropped" newborn is challenging enough when simply sleep deprived and exponentially worse when sore. A pack and play with the nap thing up top was fine, but anything lower was super challenging for the first week or so.

I second the recommendation for a good belly binder if the hospital doesn't provide one. The support makes a world of difference.

And yes, stool softeners. Post-partum mommy's best friend.

And definitely a good (board certified) lactation consultant can be worth every penny. I, fortunately, had no real problems, but my milk didn't come in for 5.5 days, which is a little nerve wracking for a first time mom, esp when the ped starts pushing formula.

Everything else I can think of is simply be nice to new mom advice unrelated to how baby arrives. Enjoy spoiling that new little bundle and the new parents.

I have had three c-sections and they were all different.  My first was after days of induced labor and I was exhausted.  My DH did everything for me, including changing all the diapers until he went back to work.  People bringing meals was wonderful.  My second was an easier recovery in a lot of ways it was planned and I had no real labor beforehand.  But my baby was large (over 11 pounds) so I needed help getting to doctor appointment and such because I couldn't lift him in his carrier and had trouble getting him into and out of the car, so having my mom help with appointments was nice.  My third was an emergency and my baby was transferred to a different hospital for a higher level of care than the birth center could offer.  I overdid and ended up with a lot of complications from it.  I insisted on being released way too soon so I could be with my baby, and then I didn't get near enough rest.  Healing took much longer that time.

The things that helped me the most were people offering to help with meals, laundry, and other household chores.  What was less helpful were people who came over and only wanted to hold the baby.  I was having a hard time the breastfeeding and postpartum emotions (later PPD) and having others always grabbing at baby was rough on me.  It also made establishing breastfeeding harder because I wasn't good at advocating that I needed to try to nurse more often and by the time I got baby back she was starving and I had a hard time calming her to get her to latch properly.

First c-section recovery was rough.  I felt like I was hit by a truck for a while, probably because I had a long labor before it being an emergency C, and a newborn who was ready to be entertained right away.

Second c-section recovery was smooth and easy.   It was planned, and my life was set up easier at that point.  I felt so good that a couple weeks in I forgot and bent over to pick a weed and felt a "pop"!  That spot that "popped" healed a little funny (it was probably a little wrinkle in the muscle fascia or something) and ached for a long, long time afterward.  

So, no matter how good she feels, don't let her do any gardening before she's fully healed!  ;)  

My recovery was actually easier than my natural births, probably because I didn't labor for hours and hours.

I had a support pillow in the hospital that was great. I didn't know what it was for but once a nurse explained how to use it, sitting up was less excruciating. I think you put it over the site and then gently apply pressure as you sit up, but I'm not remembering the details at moment.

I had one at 25 with dd, and the physical recovery was a snap compared to the emotional recovery. I had minimal pain and was up and about within twenty-four hours, but I was really disappointed that I couldn't do the natural childbirth I'd wanted. And the people acting like it was a huge tragedy only made it worse. People would say things like, "Oh my god, I'm SO sorry, how awful you had to have an emergency c-section. You must be SO disappointed. I would have just died if I had to have one." Yeah, that didn't help.

• Like 1

If felt mine was pretty easy recovery, but that could be because of a vertical incision rather than a horizontal one.  I had an emergency C-section at 28 weeks and they said the muscles weren't stretched thin enough to cut horizontally.  I was doing a lot of walking immediately in order to get to the NICU to see DD. 

Stefanie

I had one at 25 with dd, and the physical recovery was a snap compared to the emotional recovery. I had minimal pain and was up and about within twenty-four hours, but I was really disappointed that I couldn't do the natural childbirth I'd wanted. And the people acting like it was a huge tragedy only made it worse. People would say things like, "Oh my god, I'm SO sorry, how awful you had to have an emergency c-section. You must be SO disappointed. I would have just died if I had to have one." Yeah, that didn't help.

I had an emergency c/s instead of planned natural birth too, but I got the "Why are you so upset? You're both lucky to be here!" comments. Also not helpful. I had had a big scary experience involving a very life threatening situation and I needed time and space to process.

I had an emergency c/s instead of planned natural birth too, but I got the "Why are you so upset? You're both lucky to be here!" comments. Also not helpful. I had had a big scary experience involving a very life threatening situation and I needed time and space to process.

Uh yeah. I spent a whole lot of time on the ICAN network. It was super helpful in actually succeeding with a vbac the next go around, as well as working through my disappointment over the whole crappy birth experience.

The ticket is walking as much as possible IN the hospital, and as little as possible OUT of the hospital. So have everything gathered up in one, comfortable spot at home.

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO PUT ON SOCKS. So help her get her socks on :-D

^^ Yes to this.  I've had five C's.  Push yourself in the hospital.  REST at home. 

Are there stairs at home to navigate?  Have stuff together in one place (diapers, basket for the baby to sleep in, etc.) to avoid multiple trips up and down the stairs. 

Yes, as stated upthread, different people react differently to needing a c-section after planning a natural delivery.  Pay attention and respond appropriately to the individual.  Validate feelings whether or not they're the feelings you would've had if it had been your delivery. Everyone is different.

• Like 2

Yes, as stated upthread, different people react differently to needing a c-section after planning a natural delivery. Pay attention and respond appropriately to the individual. Validate feelings whether or not they're the feelings you would've had if it had been your delivery. Everyone is different.

Double note to this! Notice I refer to my own as 'crappy'. It was horrible, both in recovery and the surgery, itself. I didn't need it, but the doctor was too ignorant of fetal positioning to figure out the malposition we were dealing with before breaking my water and locking me into it. I was way overdue and they'd been inducing me for four days. Postpartum was a nightmare and I had terrible postpartum depression. Bad on top of bad. Hearing people tell me how grateful I should have been over the whole thing, when it was a disaster start to finish, was galling.

In the same way some women loved their c-sections and had great experiences, or feel there were no other options (sometimes true, sometimes not). I never EVER question or second guess their experiences unless they are asking for an opinion one way or the other. If they say they're thrilled at their birth and outcome, I say YAY! CONGRATULATIONS! If they need to commiserate or vent, I nod and express sorrow accordingly. There is so much variety and it's very, very individual. Even the exact same circumstances can feel completely different depending on the emotions, expectstionsl and history of the mother. So it's really best to feel out where someone is on their own birth before saying anything strongly, one way or the other :)

That emotional support was so lacking with my birth, and might have made a big difference in the severity and duration of my postpartum depression.

Ds won't be able to take piles of time off--can you tell me a bit about what was helpful, what you could/couldn't do, what you would've liked if someone was going to help you when you had your baby by C-section?

meals, meals, and more meals!  laundry and dishes.  When baby sleeps, keep watch on baby in another room so I can sleep, too.  Errands such as pharmacy to get more pain meds.  Take me and baby to follow up appts. - drive carefully; car lurches are excruciating.  Keep my water glass filled and right next to me.

Hmm. So I hear y'all saying, "Ask her what she needs, and strongly suggest she rests!"

Slight change to "Ask, 'about what time do you need to eat lunch and supper, so I can have them ready' and 'what would you like me to run through the clothes washer today' and 'what can I pick up for you at the grocery store or pharmacy' and 'you're down to the last pack of diapers - what size should I pick up today for you?  how's your pad supply - should I get more?'"  so that she can't say she doesn't need anything.

• Like 2

meals, meals, and more meals!  laundry and dishes.  When baby sleeps, keep watch on baby in another room so I can sleep, too.  Errands such as pharmacy to get more pain meds.  Take me and baby to follow up appts. - drive carefully; car lurches are excruciating.  Keep my water glass filled and right next to me.

Slight change to "Ask, 'about what time do you need to eat lunch and supper, so I can have them ready' and 'what would you like me to run through the clothes washer today' and 'what can I pick up for you at the grocery store or pharmacy' and 'you're down to the last pack of diapers - what size should I pick up today for you?  how's your pad supply - should I get more?'"  so that she can't say she doesn't need anything.

This is great!

And oh my, you sparked a memory. I remember being at a shower for another new mom (who had adopted--she went on to adopt 8 more kids! But I digress...). I was nursing my first baby, and someone offered me a glass of water. That was just so huge to me--so kind, and no one else had ever done that.

Sometimes it's the little things.

• Like 3

I only had one csect; it was planned (transverse twins). It was a breeze compared to the two other births. I was up and around almost immediately with little pain. I did have a problem with severe itching. as in I almost clawed my skin off. Once I realized I was allergic to the pain meds, that cleared up quickly. It turns out I didn't need them anyway. The only problem I had was getting out of bed. That hurt a bit. Other than that, it was a hassle not being able to drive. But, I was able to take care of twins and a one year old without any trouble.

Mine was easy. I had an emergency C-section, but I knew it would be required as I had complete placenta previa. I forced myself to get up and moving which I think made a huge difference. Ds was in a separate room so I walked backward and forwards to his room (well, staggered, holding the wall) after the first 24 hours. It only occurred to me years later than I could have called for a nurse to take me! But it helped. I had no pain meds after whatever they gave me as they finished up the C-section although I took panadol for headaches. I was driving in 10 days. I remember it hurt to walk up stairs for a long time.

I really didn't need anything more than I did for my previous home birth, apart from being driven around at first (and yes, every bump in the road hurts) and it was great that dh could work partly from home for the first 10 days to help with dinners preparation.

I wanted to do as much of the baby care as possible myself and have people take care of the other stuff, but I was that way with all of my babies. Laundry, errands, etc.

I had meals delivered by friends and church every few days for several weeks. I appreciated inclusion of fast grab food like muffins, cut fresh fruit, homemade applesauce, etc. 

I've had 2 C-sections and recovered fairly quickly.  My restrictions:  I could not lift anything over 10 pounds, was not supposed to drive (ignored that because I didn't take anything other than ibuprofen after I left the hospital), and no nookie until first post-partum checkup (ignored that too).

What would have been helpful to me (DS is military and couldn't take lots of time off, either):  Someone to do my dang laundry because it was too heavy to carry up and down to the laundry in the basement.  Someone to clean my house because if I had 3 precious hours where kiddo was sleeping, I wasn't about to spend it cleaning.  Social services would have taken that baby away if they had seen the condition of my house in those early months, LOL!

My tips (after 2 C-sections):  1) Get up and walking ASAP.  Even if you feel like you cannot, and even if you feel like you are going to split open, git 'yo ass up and moving because your recovery will be quicker.  :)   2) As soon as you get home, take the chance to get out of the house and *do something* every day, even if it's just a stroller walk with the baby.  3)  Ignore anyone who says sleep while the baby sleeps.  In real life, nothing will get done if you do that.  I took that time to get my nails done, have dinner with a friend, or whatever.  4) Move every day, even if it's just a walk; recovery will be easier.

• Like 1

For me surgery was pretty rough, I had a horrible time getting in and out of bed. And with nursing that meant I needed help multiple times a night.  I think that lasted through the first week or so (so 3-4 days at home since before that the hospital bed made things more doable).  I did need to take pain meds for the first 2 weeks so I needed someone to drive me to my followup appointment at 2 weeks and baby's 1 and 2 weeks check up.  The biggest thing I would have liked the first couple of weeks is some grab and go healthy food.  Finding time to cook was near impossible and with nursing I was so very hungry all the time.  I was frequently eating candy bars or donuts etc because they were easy to have laying around and would last a few days and I could nibble on them as I found a spare moment.  People will often bring meals but for a new mom, sometimes a meal (even reheating it), is more work/energy than they can manage.  I would have love things like cheese sticks, beef jerky, individual yogurts, cut up veggies with individual servings of dip, those prepackages sliced apples, anything that was nutritious and not highly pershable so if sat out an hour or more before I finished would be great.  Also things that could be eaten one handed while I sat in a chair for hours on end nursing baby.

• Like 1

Mine was preplanned and easy.

I lwas up an walking within 4 hours and eft the hospital after 48 hours (almost exactly) with nothing more than Motrin for pain.  I had no problems getting around and actually seemed to be in better shape than many of the other women there who had traditional deliveries.  By 2.5 weeks out I was hiking (short, gentle trails) and had no real effects from the surgery.

I had two c-sections, at 39 and 41, the first an emergency after about 6 hours of labor and the second scheduled. The second was so easy.

Recovery was really not too hard, but I totally agree with the pps who said don't do too much too early. I was too quick to try and be back doing regular housework, errands, etc. with my first. I should have let people who offered to help do so! I didn't have one of those belly wraps but wish I had. I did not have any after effects from anesthesia or troubles with ppd. I ate well, moderately low carb and lost the baby weight quickly while nursing. I did get outside and walk some every day.

I got some help with the nursing from the clinic at my hospital - they came to me once and a couple fo times I had to go in. I did take the super-ibuprofen that was prescribed after the surgery and it was effective. After overdoing it first, I backed up and just took it easy and got used to being a mommy. The second time, I knew to let Dh and our friends handle the house, dog, errands etc.

They did. Laundry, grocery shopping, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms and dog walking were totally handled by someone else for two weeks and then I eased back into those responsibilities.

I came off staff at a large church 1 month before Dd was born, so we had loads of help. Less so with ds, but I was more prepared and Dh has btdt too.

My disc surgery was actually a more difficult recovery.

My C-section was an emergency so I wasn't prepared at home for afterwards. But before my hysterectomy I bought a big stock of disposable paper plates, disposable silverware, paper towels, etc. and encouraged everyone to use them. It made my life so much easier not to have dishes to deal with! I also set up a table near my recliner where I could easily reach the items I needed most throughout the day.

We went to my mom's house for a few weeks because my husband couldn't take much time off from work. It was great to have my mom there with me. When the baby took a nap I could truly sleep because I knew my mom was checking on her, I needed reassurance that I could take care of her. I needed my mom to guide me with how to take care of her belly button, how to burp her, how to bathe her, and all of the things a new mom needs to do. It was nice to just rest and take care of the baby. My mom did the dishes, laundry, and all of the day to day stuff.  I moved slow for about a week. I was so happy that I could take my time in the shower and getting dressed because grandma was happy to watch the baby. The 2 main things I needed was sleep and encouragement.

I agree with the stool softeners, and holding a pillow or something against her belly when she coughs or laughs or something- with one of my babies I used one of those belly support belts and it helped a LOT. Also, getting up and walking as much as possible while in the hospital helps immensely!

I had an emergency c-section.  My parents came down and took over the house and bigger kids.  My mom kept the house clean, took care of the girls, and my dad cooked all the meals and cleaned up after all the meals.   My husband was in the middle of huge project and couldn't be off until the second week when he took over everything.   Those two weeks of being able to rest and recover helped me so much.  By the third week I was up and moving and by week 5 I was mowing the yard as dh had to leave on assignment for 6 weeks.   

She will need lots of rest, good healthy food, water and more rest.  :)

Congratulation to you and your family!!