Menu

Large family--DIY pizza night

Moxie

Easiest is Boboli or MamaMia. They make individual size crusts and you can buy ahead and keep them in the cabinet. They aren't great quality though, so if a tasty crust is key for your pizza enjoyment that may not be the best solution. Our grocery sells pizza dough balls that are ready to be shaped and baked. You could divide it into quarters for four small pizzas. They aren't as good as dh's homemade crust, but they're close and much faster.

• Like 1

Trader Joe's has pre-made bread dough.  I think you would just need to let it rise and make into rounds.  I don't know how much it costs though.

Or the pizza dough I grew up with:

1 package dry yeast

1/4 cup luke warm water

2 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup + 2 tablesppons wamr milk

flour to thick

Combine yeast, water, sugar, salt.  Stir until years dissolves.  Add milk, stir in flour until thick.   Let rise until double (we always put it on top of the fridge).  Put it on greased pizza pan.  Bake 425 for 20 minutes.  

It's great crust.  My mom saved it from her home ec class way back!

• Like 3

I like to make my own, dough, too.  It is fast and cheap.  But if I really don't have time, we use those Pillsbury Biscuits that come in the 4pack of cardboard cans.  You just sort of smash them with your fingers to flatten, then top as desired.  Follow the directions on the can to bake.  We have also used the larger sized biscuits.  

Making pizza dough is super easy esp if you have a bread machine. You don't even need a fancy or expensive bread machine if you just want it to mix up dough once a week.  I can get a batch of dough, ready to spread in 90 mins.  45 min if I use the 'quick rise' setting.  I get enough dough to make two 'sheet pizzas".  They are the size of a standard baking sheet. I also have pizza pans etc and a pizza stone.

I have at least one friend who only owns a bread machine to make pizza dough. It's the only dough she makes.

I make my own homemade and it's cheap and easy (have to due to dh salt restriction) .  I mix yeast with warm water and sugar, then add flour sodium-free baking powder and Italian seasoning, and no-sodium salt sub.  Mix then drizzle the ball with EVOO and let it rise.  I pre-bake for a few minutes, then top it and pop it into the over for about 15 minutes at 400'.

Not a large family, but I do make your own pizza parties often.

I make pizza dough and pat crusts to fit into 8 or 9 inch cake pans. That way I can fit several into the oven at once, no one's toppings are touching someone else's, and people can work around our table and/or peninsula to top their own at the same time.

We make our own dough from scratch, but honestly, I think, with the cost of the cheese and toppings, take out would be cheaper...?

I wonder. There are so many places that do a decent large 1-topping for $5 now. We get 2 for $10 and DH and I eat salad. Can I buy pepperoni, cheese and sausage for $10 plus time to make the crust? DIY pizza night is fun for family movie night but I think it is a wash as far as money spent.

• Like 2

I can't meet Round Table in making 'normal' tasting pizza.

But, I can make gourmet, pick what toppings you want pizza for far less than Round Table costs.

My favorite in that line has a little whole rye flour in the dough, and a fairly crisp crust.  It's topped with caramelized onions (source is Costco), a little finely chopped rosemary (source is our yard), and a tiny bit of finely crumbled blue cheese (source is Costco.  I crumble it so finely that about 2-3 tablespoons is all I need for a whole medium pizza.)  I have never met anyone who didn't absolutely love this.

Our 'pick what toppings you like' nights are both pricier and more fun, plus a lot more conventional.

One tip--sauté the mushrooms thoroughly and drain them thoroughly before putting them on the pizza to avoid a runny mess.  I don't know how the pizza places avoid this (well, some pizza 'out' has the same problem) but I hate soggy pizza so when we use mushrooms that's what we do, OR we slice them up and add them in the last few minutes of cooking only, so they stay pretty raw.  They are good that way.

• Like 1

Are you sharing your recipe?

Thursday nights seem to be pizza nights around here. It's a college tradition that stuck.

I double this:

3 and 1/3 cup of all purpose white flour

1/4 cup of ww flour for taste

1 tablespoon yeast (or one packet)

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon salt

2 tablespoons + extra olive oil to your liking/taste

1 and 1/4 cup of warm water.

I combine it in the stand mixer with the dough hook then take it out for a few extra kneads, grease the bowl with olive oil and put it in an oven that preheated to warm and then was turned off. Takes about 1-2 hours to rise.

That is enough for 2 adults and 2 kids to each make a pizza. I double it when we have extra kids over (most of the time) and we might have some leftover slices for lunch Saturday.

This is great for thin crust but can be used for deep dish.

I use the Grand Central Baking Crust recipe if I have more time or want all whole wheat. That takes more time though because you make a sponge first. I never have more time and my niece and nephew hate whole wheat so this crust is the go to. Having it right now while the kids all play D&D and eat pizza. ;)

• Like 1

We make our own dough from scratch, but honestly, I think, with the cost of the cheese and toppings, take out would be cheaper...?

Not here.

Cheapest take out is Little Caesars which my sons don't like very much. We have however bought it in a pinch. For two adults plus a 6 year old, a 9 year old, a 12 year old and a 13 year old, I buy about $22 worth of stuff there. That's 2 or 3 pizzas at $5-8 each plus cheese bread for $4 and tax. The pizzas are small, the crust is air and my niece will easily eat most of a whole pie herself (runner, puberty and all that jazz). And I am lactose intolerant and really shouldn't be eating their pizza (at home I do goat cheese or make a salad).

Homemade pizza night costs me less than $20. Even if the kids go crazy and eat the entire $6 worth of cheese I buy, I still come in under $20. And they like it as much as the nicer pizza places we like which are more like $50 for two actually large pizzas with good toppings and tax and tip.

• Like 1

I double this:

1 and 1/3 cup of all purpose white flour

1/4 cup of ww flour for taste

1 tablespoon yeast (or one packet)

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon salt

2 tablespoons + extra olive oil to your liking/taste

1 and 1/4 cup of warm water.

I combine it in the stand mixer with the dough hook then take it out for a few extra kneads, grease the bowl with olive oil and put it in an oven that preheated to warm and then was turned off. Takes about 1-2 hours to rise.

That is enough for 2 adults and 2 kids to each make a pizza. I double it when we have extra kids over (most of the time) and we might have some leftover slices for lunch Saturday.

This is great for thin crust but can be used for deep dish.

I use the Grand Central Baking Crust recipe if I have more time or want all whole wheat. That takes more time though because you make a sponge first. I never have more time and my niece and nephew hate whole wheat so this crust is the go to. Having it right now while the kids all play D&D and eat pizza. ;)

Thank you, Lucy! 

Use frozen dinner rolls.

Seriously.

12 Rhodes dinner rolls make 1 standard pizza crust.  You can size down accordingly.  (Other brands work as well, including the store brands.)

Just thaw and then spread out on the pan.  You can even let them raise a bit.  Bake at 350 degrees and you will get a golden crust that is just right.

I have a regular baking day when a bake the week's sandwich bread and the "pizza blanks" for Friday Pizza night.  We have several dietary allergies as well as dietary opinions that make ordering from a regular pizza joint expensive and someone always gets their nose out of joint.

I make a regular batch of pizza dough (approx 1 lb,) divide it into quarters and then take a walnut sized pinch off each quarter.  Each quarter gets rolled out to a personal sized pizza (6-8") brushed with olive oil, and baked in a hot oven (425 degrees) on a sheet pan until firm but not browned (5 minutes.)  The extra dough gets rolled out into a mini pizza size for me (4-5") because I usually also have a salad, or for the baby when I had that age children.  After the pizza blanks cool they go into a zipper bag separated by waxed paper.  Sometimes I freeze them and sometimes I keep them in the refrigerator.  

On pizza night everyone builds their own according to their dietary needs and they get baked, or grilled on the BBQ if it is particularly hot.  

Acceptable alternatives to pizza crust at our house have been:  French bread (toast under the broiler before adding toppings to avoid sogginess)  Store bought garlic naan or Costco has a new item called greek pitas.  They don't have a pocket; they are simply round, fluffy bread.  My kids love them because they can make their own pizza for lunch anytime.

Amber in SJ

• Like 2

I want Friday night to be DIY pizza night but I need easy, individual crusts that don't end up costing more that take-out pizza. Suggestions?

Hmm... What's more important?  Cheap?  Or easy?  They are at odds. ;)

Cheapest is homemade.   Jay's Pizza Crust off Allrecipes is the BEST and it can be used with a lot of whole wheat and still good.  It's even better when you make it early in the afternoon and punch it down a few times.  (It's easy that way too - make it during the end of naptime and cook at regular time.)

Good sauce:

Tomato sauce

Chili powder - just a bit

Smoked paprika

Garlic powder

Parmesan cheese (trust me - IN THE SAUCE!)

A bit of salt (just a dash or so)

A tiny bit of brown sugar

*I know that's a generic recipe but trust me on the ingredients and our amounts are VERY skewed for the average family. ;)

We don't do individual pizzas unless it's VERY special or someone's birthday wish- too much work.  Instead we make three pizzas and you can plan them each in halves as far as the ingredients.

Now, if you're looking for cheap, individual pizzas are the wrong way to go because everyone is going to "special order" ingredients and that's when the cost goes WAY up.  You're going to buy 15 toppings when you could have gotten away with three.  ;)  Cheap vs. easy vs. making everyone happy is the eternal challenge, lol.  

• Like 1

Most of our pizza toppings are leftovers or odds and ends, whatever we happen to have. Except for pepperoni and olives (the latter of which I buy by the case), it's a smorgasbord. It's hard to price because what exactly are the mushrooms leftover from steak night and that sad 1/2 onion or 1/2 pepper in the fridge that needs to be used TODAY really worth? ;) Some things, like artichoke hearts and garlic are things we just always have on hand. Our sauce is usually leftover from spagetti.

One of my favorites is to take leftover BBQ pork or chicken and use that as the meat AND sauce and add caramelized onions and peppers.

• Like 3

I've found that pre-baking crusts is one of the key differences between a good and a bad homemade pizza. If we're doing make-your-own pizzas, I'll pre-bake a bunch of smaller crusts earlier in the day. 

We use the 5-Minute-A-Day recipe for pizza dough, which makes pizza night CRAZY easy...aside from all of the flour the toddler likes to toss around :)

• Like 1

I make ours. I'll spare you the link since my favorite recipe contains sourdough starter. It is nice to have a recipe that you can make ahead and keep in the fridge for a day or two before you need it. Trader Joes and Safeway both carry crust dough for fairly cheap. If you don't want to make your own crust, I think that some decent French or Italian loaves make a better pizza than most pre-made crusts. Whatever you do, don't buy the Pillsbury pizza crust. I made that mistake ONCE and my kids still bring up "that awful biscuit pizza." Even bagels are better than pre-made crusts in my book.

• Like 3

Most of our pizza toppings are leftovers or odds and ends, whatever we happen to have. Except for pepperoni and olives (the latter of which I buy by the case), it's a smorgasbord. It's hard to price because what exactly are the mushrooms leftover from steak night and that sad 1/2 onion or 1/2 pepper in the fridge that needs to be used TODAY really worth? ;) Some things, like artichoke hearts and garlic are things we just always have on hand. Our sauce is usually leftover from spagetti.

One of my favorites is to take leftover BBQ pork or chicken and use that as thee meat AND sauce and add caramelized onions and peppers.

We use lots of leftover veggies and meat, too. We buy mozzarella in bulk from Azure Standard or Costco which is inexpensive. We make pizza sauce from tomato paste, use leftover spaghetti sauce, or make a mayonnaise and mustard sauce which is wonderful with chicken pizza. Pizza at home is way cheaper for us than carry out.

• Like 1

It must be spread very thin, broken into at least two pieces, and pre-baked before adding toppings. I learned this the hard way.

We made it pretty thin. My kids had just never experienced a quick bread crust and they were very put out by the experience. I didn't think it was THAT bad. I wouldn't buy it again, but we ate it.

I make my dough. I've yet to find the perfect dough recipe so I won't recommend mine.

I make one large pizza for my husband and I and then these fit my kids because no one can ever agree on pizza toppings. They also have fun making them.

http://richestoragsbydori.blogspot.com/2012/01/muffin-pan-pizza-ooohhh-myyyyy.html?m=1

If you want good pizza then be sure to use melted butter instead of oil for the crust recipe, a flavorful spaghetti sauce not the canned bland pizza sauces, and use 5-6 Italian cheese blends and toss in herbs and spices, don't use plain mozzarella. You can get a better crust by adding an oven proof bowl of water in the oven when you cook the pizzas.

I find that quality negates the need for quantity. Everyone fills up much faster and for longer on homemade from scratch pizza than from the best Italian restaurants.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I've found that pre-baking crusts is one of the key differences between a good and a bad homemade pizza. If we're doing make-your-own pizzas, I'll pre-bake a bunch of smaller crusts earlier in the day. 

We use the 5-Minute-A-Day recipe for pizza dough, which makes pizza night CRAZY easy...aside from all of the flour the toddler likes to toss around :)

I'll second the pre-baking plan.  I don't cook them all the way through, but half cooked, on a stone, so they have a mostly cooked top layer before adding sauce makes a world of difference. :)

• Like 1