Menu

I hate buying pants

regentrude

Or, should I better say: attempting to buy pants, since it was unsuccessful.

In case the title does not clue you in: this is a vent.

I am looking for a wardrobe staple: a pair of plain dark dress pants for work. That's not an extravagant wish, is it?

The average woman in the US is 5' 4 tall. I am 5'6. So why are all pants several inches too long?

No, petites is not the answer; they look like slightly too long capri pants. Not the look I am going for. This is for work.

And, oh, vanity sizing. I have never in my life been a size 4. After several years of not having to buy pants, I discover that size 4 is too big.  Never mind my closet is filled with 6s and 8s. Smaller sizes don't exist in the store.

We have two clothing stores in town. Wish me better luck in the other one.

Did I mention I hate pants shopping?

• Like 7

The average woman in the US is 5' 4 tall. I am 5'6. So why are all pants several inches too long?

I'm 5' 8.5" with disproportionately long legs. My whole life it's been very difficult to find pants long enough, until recently. Now it's much easier. Great news for me, but not so great for a whole lot of other people. Sorry :(

• Like 2

Or, should I better say: attempting to buy pants, since it was unsuccessful.

In case the title does not clue you in: this is a vent.

I am looking for a wardrobe staple: a pair of plain dark dress pants for work. That's not an extravagant wish, is it?

No, petites is not the answer; they look like slightly too long capri pants. Not the look I am going for. This is for work.

And, oh, vanity sizing. I have never in my life been a size 4. After several years of not having to buy pants, I discover that size 4 is too big.  Never mind my closet is filled with 6s and 8s. Smaller sizes don't exist in the store.

We have two clothing stores in town. Wish me better luck in the other one.

Did I mention I hate pants shopping?

I am an even 6 feet tall, and I have a terrible timing finding pants that are long enough for me. In most lines of clothing, I wear an 18W. I can find lots of short (or petite) pants in that size, but rarely anything in tall or long. 

I would like three pair of basic twill slacks -- one navy, one black, and one khaki. I often end up getting polo shirts from the men's department because they are long enough to not expose my belly or back when I raise my hand to write on the board. 

Older dd is spending a semester in the UK. She went to London this past weekend. She said she sat in the park outside the hotel and marveled at how well everyone's pants fit.

So this is perhaps a U.S. problem?

We noticed and talked about that when we visited London too! Everyone looked so nicely put together, with clothes that actually fit! Should have done more shopping while I was there.

• Like 1

I agree that clothing manufacturers must consider 5'4" - 5'6" petite, because at 5'3.5" I find that most petite pants are still 1-2" longer than they should be. I don't know where women shorter than me find pants because the cheaper clothing stores rarely carry petite sizes, and even then, the petite pants are too long for most petite women.

I'm 5'6" and noticed that pants are now longer than they were 15 years ago. Even yoga pants are a couple inches longer.

I'm 5'10" and remember being excited years ago to find that pants started coming out in Long/Tall. I started buying Lee jeans because their talls fit me just right. But the last couple pairs I've bought have been too long. :huh:  And the Average/Regular is still too short. :glare:

• Like 1

Ugh. I have the same issue with the height - I'm 5'5" so you'd think the pants would be about right on me, but they've been getting longer and longer, I swear. Luckily, I guess, I seem to have gained enough weight to go up a size in petites because the petites are longer than they used to be too. Still most of the proportions are all off.

I just made this comment today! Bought a pair of yoga pants at Athleta and even though I am average size at 5'4", they are 3+ inches too long.  It's been years since I was able to buy pants without needing to hem them. 

On the plus side, I can use the extra fabric I've cut off to fashion a pocket to sew inside so I can stash my fitbit. 

• Like 4

All those of you who have pants hemmed: where do you have this done? The store does not offer alterations, I asked :-(

There is a tailor in the mall where I usually shop... people buy their items, then immediately take them to a tailor. He does an amazing business, it shows how bad sizing is now! 

They need to sell women's pants like they do men's: waist size and inseam length. Perhaps add a hip size in their too. It seams like they understand men come in different heights better than they do women.

Yes to this!  It actually makes me rather ill that they don't do this.  They expect my 5'0" tall MIL and my 5'8" tall self to wear the same pant length? lol.  

And the vanity sizing is getting out of control.  I don't even know what size to pick up any more.  I have a pair of Old Navy pants in my closet from a several years ago that are a size 18.  I can get them on, but they are snug.  I also have a pair of size 14 "skinny" jeans from Old Navy that I bought two weeks ago that are practically falling off.  

• Like 3

I recently discovered I've been vanity sized out of the one local store where I could usually find things because their smallest size is now too big even though I didn't get any smaller. I had luck in another town finding gently used pants that fit well at a consignment store, and one pair still had tags. I'm 5'2" and can sometimes wear petites but sometimes not. I don't know why "short" length jeans and pants can't even be consistent lengths.

I think the answer is that with pants, you are expected to have them tailored.  It's annoying but if you just take it for granted that it has to be done, it simplifies things immensely.  A whole new world of pants will be open to you.

This is however one of the main reasons I own mostly skirts and jeans.

• Like 3

I think the answer is that with pants, you are expected to have them tailored. It's annoying but if you just take it for granted that it has to be done, it simplifies things immensely. A whole new world of pants will be open to you.

This is however one of the main reasons I own mostly skirts and jeans.

See, I get this and would accept it for nice dress pants - absolutely I am willing to take the extra steps and cost to have them fit perfectly. The $19 jeans at old navy? The yoga pants? No. Those things should not be absurdly long. It's not haute couture, old navy. I should be able to put them on and have them fit and not look absolutely crazy.

See, I get this and would accept it for nice dress pants - absolutely I am willing to take the extra steps and cost to have them fit perfectly. The $19 jeans at old navy? The yoga pants? No. Those things should not be absurdly long. It's not haute couture, old navy. I should be able to put them on and have them fit and not look absolutely crazy.

I guess the thing with jeans is, you get what you pay for - so if you go for Old Navy, you can't expect the best design.  I actually find ON is one of the places where the jeans are usually the right length for me a lot of the time but that is just random chance.

Yoga pants are interesting, because you couldn't really do yoga in them if they are too long.  But, they are really a sort of sweatpant, so I can't imagine them offering inseam option.  Maybe they expect people to wear them sort? 

I guess that might be why old style sweat pants had elastic cuffs.

It's been a few years, but I bought many pairs of basic dress pants at Talbots, usually on sale.  (Because they have petites, of course.  I'm only about 5' 1.5" now, so there must be something odd about my proportion, because the Talbots petite pants are often about an inch too short and yet the regular, non-petite pants are a couple inches too long.)  I would have guessed that 5'6" would be ideal for regular sizes; we can't win, eh.

Eta, doesn't everyone hate buying pants?  Even my dd hates buying them now that she is into junior/adult sizing.

I'm 5'4" with long arms and legs. Until a few years ago, regular pants fit my length. The longer pants force me into short-length lately. I'm guessing tall girls should stock up now.

My daughter is tiny. If this were the 80s, she'd wear a 2/3, but now she's in sizing purgatory where she has to seek out double zeros and xxs. If they exist, I swear the stores order only a handful in that size and you have to hover when they open the boxes. There is the one store with the 'super skinny' section where she can find pants. I've decided that size 10 must be THE best size to be because I ALWAYS see that on the rack when I'm shopping.

Do you all think that middle-aged women must have come up with the nudist colony thing? Just think of it . . . no pants shopping and no laundry. And the paleo thing? Someone just got fed up with cooking and decided grilled meat and salad for every meal is the answer.

• Like 4

My daughter is tiny. If this were the 80s, she'd wear a 2/3, but now she's in sizing purgatory where she has to seek out double zeros and xxs. If they exist, I swear the stores order only a handful in that size and you have to hover when they open the boxes.

H&M pants and jeans are great for skinny and average hip. Armani Exchange pants is great for skinny with bigger hips. Levis jeans have a good selection for small waist and small to big hips.

For pants I just hem up by hand with needle and thread. For jeans I just fold up the excess lengtb.

I'm 5'7" and don't consider myself unusually tall but I had similar complaints until I found Land's End. They hem your pants to your specifications - or at least they did so a few years back since I have not had to buy anything recently in the slacks department.

• Like 2

I think we have good choice in trousers here in the UK as many shops carry a separate petite range as well as short, regular and tall. The only person I know to have issues is my friend with a 36" inside leg but a lot of that is because doesn't want to spend much money and the trousers that would fit her are in the pricier ranges. 

Tops are another matter though. I'm 5ft 7" but I have a very long body and nothing is ever long enough unless I get it from the tall ranges and then it's only just long enough. The choice in the tall ranges in tops is not great generally. 

• Like 3

Tops are another matter though. I'm 5ft 7" but I have a very long body and nothing is ever long enough unless I get it from the tall ranges and then it's only just long enough. The choice in the tall ranges in tops is not great generally. 

That is a whole other rant for me.  My girls and I have the hardest time with shirts.  Almost everything hits right at the top of our pants (which makes for interesting views if you have to reach for anything).  We wear a lot of tanks under our shirts, but even those are hard to find that are long enough.  We've actually bought things that were meant to be dresses (but apparently only for those that want to flash their undies or are under 5'5") and worn them as shirts.  

• Like 2

That's me for other reasons. I've got long legs and am very short-waisted. So I need the length of tall pants, but the top won't fit. Other than custom pants, it's officially a problem.

I finally figured out that nurses scrubs with elastic waists work reasonably well because I can pull the waist up, so I buy black and tan ones for work and wear a top that goes over. It was actually easier when I was in a job where I wore a skirted suit every day, but now I teach and have to crawl under desks messing with cables at times.

No heels here. My orthopedic doc sees enough of me trying to keep by bad ankle and knee going.

I think we have good choice in trousers here in the UK as many shops carry a separate petite range as well as short, regular and tall. The only person I know to have issues is my friend with a 36" inside leg but a lot of that is because doesn't want to spend much money and the trousers that would fit her are in the pricier ranges. 

I only find evening trousers to be a real problem here: everyone assumes that one will wear heels in the evening.  I don't.