Menu

Politics and your dc-what are you raising?

Ok, so several threads/comments on here have got me thinking. Are you raising your kids to be staunch supporters of your political party, or are you raising them to be more "nuetral" or party-less?

My sis raised her kids to be staunch republicans. Technically I'm a registered republican. I refer to myself as a republi-crat though. I don't believe in voting for a certain party. I want my dc to be able to vote for the person they think will do the best job, regardless of affiliation.

My ds is only 12, but even during the Kerry-Bush race 4 years ago, we had some great conversations about issues. He loves Obama and I'm good w/ that. I'm not voting Obama, but I would never tell him he is wrong to like a certain candidate-kwim? I love that he has his own thoughts and ideas, and I respect and admire that 100%.

So, do you push your dc towards your party, or will you still respect them if they go the other direction? Just curious.

Ok, so several threads/comments on here have got me thinking. Are you raising your kids to be staunch supporters of your political party, or are you raising them to be more "nuetral" or party-less?

My sis raised her kids to be staunch republicans. Technically I'm a registered republican. I refer to myself as a republi-crat though. I don't believe in voting for a certain party. I want my dc to be able to vote for the person they think will do the best job, regardless of affiliation.

My ds is only 12, but even during the Kerry-Bush race 4 years ago, we had some great conversations about issues. He loves Obama and I'm good w/ that. I'm not voting Obama, but I would never tell him he is wrong to like a certain candidate-kwim? I love that he has his own thoughts and ideas, and I respect and admire that 100%.

So, do you push your dc towards your party, or will you still respect them if they go the other direction? Just curious.

We've already introduced our kids to our party (we're conservatives, usually republicans) by attending rallies, campaigning, teaching sound American history, etc. But if they'd decide to go another direction, we'd still respect them and love them (of course). DH and I hope to instill certain values into our kids that they would naturally be swayed to conservative parties, and so far, even though they're still young, they are.

I hope I'm raising children who will think for themselves.

Same here, for the most part.

Dh and I absolutely share our opinions and reasons with the kids (mostly just ds#1 right now), but we don't want them to just swallow that whole.

Of course, it is a little bit painful to see how far to the right my child already leans at age 10! :001_huh:

My kids are way too young, we haven't really gotten into politics yet. But my hope for them is that we can discuss the issues, discuss the politicians, etc in an open way. I will tell them my views, but they already know now that there are many many ways to do life and many many choices to make so I will not be telling them what to think. By the time they are of age to talk politics, they will know its ok to disagree with me. They can also discuss the issues with any of my relatives who have opposite views, in fact that sounds like a good idea.

I agree, I want my kids to think for themselves. Period.

:iagree: completely. DH and I aren't staunch supporters of either party; in fact, we're usually rather reluctant supporters of one party or another come election time. But I always vote (for everything from POTUS to dogcatcher), and my kids always go to the voting booth with me. :001_smile:

I'm not fond of the two party system. I don't think either party really works for the citizens of this country any longer, rather they work to improve their party.

My kids know my feelings on the topic, but they also know that I want them to educate themselves and to form opinions independent of their dad and me.

Both of my boys have been interested in the conventions and have mentioned watching the debates with me.

:iagree: And one of them is already doing so. She is leans in a decidedly different direction that her father and I. But she has well thought out reasons for her beliefs so that's really all that is important. I am quite impressed that she is so interested in politics at the tender age of 15. She is a political news junkie and probably better versed on current events than I am.

I'm not raising my kids to be anything, but the oldest has very strong leanings. He is far, far more politically aware than I was at that age. I was thinking about boys. He longs to vote.

My primary concern is teaching my children to be respectful of differing views (or opposing political parties), to root out the motivations behind ideas that at first seem abhorrent to us. This board, actually, is our primary exposure to radically different points of view, religious and political. I think many of us, perhaps most of us, early in our lives, carve out our sense of who we are by process of elimination: I'm not that, or that, or that. I think this is what my son is doing. Exposure to many perspectives and biases has been useful in our family, in our education and in the boys' and my own development as responsible citizens.

Well my wife and I voted for Barack Obama in the California primary, but our 4 year old son supported Hillary Clinton.

So I guess we have a "thinks for himself" kind of kid. He has finally come over to Obama (but it took awhile).

Bill

:lol:

I think my parents are a teeny bit sorry we're just strong, independent thinkers. My sister yelled at my dad for voting for Clinton because of her anti-union past and I told our mom even if she didn't like Obama that much she still had to vote against McCain.

Well, my 7-year-old found a copy of Newsweek in the bathroom one day and came out, saying "Mom, someone named Obama doesn't think we should keep doing the war, but I think he's wrong. Someone needs to keep all those people safe from the terrorists." :) So I think she's well on her way to being a card-carrying Republican.

I intend to communicate what I believe and why, and they absolutely will need to think for themselves and look carefully at issues from many different angles as part of their schooling. I can't deny that I'd rather see them become conservatives than liberals, but it's not my intention to make them believe what I believe about politics.

Now, if only there were a political party for them to join. (Kidding, folks, I'm kidding . . . mostly.)

As I've said elsewhere, I don't feel I "fit" into either of the major parties, or, in fact, into any of the "third" parties, either. I generally vote Democratic, because that comes closer to my stance that anyone else, but I'm not "staunch" about it by any means.

My husband is not an American citizen, doesn't vote and isn't particularly interested.

Our kids are growing up listening to NPR and discussing issues. My daughter is still flirting with at least a minor in Political Science, and it won't surprise me a bit if either of both of them end up in law school.

In politics, as in everything else, they are being raised with the presumption that, if you can intelligently support your argument, you're "right."

Since we are not registered with any party, and often vote third party, we hope we are raising them to always vote their own conscience. We encourage thoughtful dissent and debate.

Right now the dc tend to share our views ... that's mainly because we have taught them what we believe to be right, and they are not old enough to add their own experiences to that. Actually, my oldest is more conservative than I am. We frequently play Devil's advocate and challenge them, when they spout off an "opinion" that we know is just parroting what we've told them.

So no, I don't expect them to grow up to be affiliated with any particular party, or to vote in any particular way. I do expect them to be able to talk intelligently with me about their choices, and to *think.*

I am also doing my best to teach them to be respectful. Look, let's face it: young kids don't have political views. They parrot the views of their caregivers. It is a huge pet peeve of mine to hear young kids spout off political opinions in public, especially snarky/disrespectful ones. My kids will be respectful, or they will hear about it from me. :glare:

:lol:

I think my parents are a teeny bit sorry we're just strong, independent thinkers. My sister yelled at my dad for voting for Clinton because of her anti-union past and I told our mom even if she didn't like Obama that much she still had to vote against McCain.

I'd have yelled at my parents too...but they were staunchly behind Obama.

The true prize would be getting Jackie DeShannon to sing "What the World Needs Now".

Somehow I've got that song stuck in my head :D

What the world needs now,

Is love, sweet love,

It's the only thing that there's just too little of.

Is love, sweet love,

No, not just for some but for everyone.

Lord, we don't need another mountain,

There are mountains and hillsides enough to climb,

There are oceans and rivers enough to cross,

Enough to last 'til the end of time.

Is love, sweet love,

Is love, sweet love,

Lord, we don't need another meadow,

There are cornfields and wheatfields enough to grow,

There are sunbeams and moonbeams enough to shine,

Oh listen Lord, if you want to know...oh...

Is love, sweet love,

Is love, sweet love,

No, not just for some oh but just for every, every, everyone.

Is love, sweet love.

Is love, sweet love.

Is love, sweet love.

And I'm actively trying to instill my political values in them. Those include a consistent pro-life ethic, concern for the environment and the poor, and respect for those of differing political opinions.

I'm most interested in their being able to probe political problems to their deepest level--not to accept the sound-bite version of politics. I don't ultimately care whether they associate themselves with one party or the other.

Isaac would vote for Obama, yesterday if he could. He's disturbed that I haven't yet bought and installed an Obama-Biden lawn sign.

Theo's voting for the green party candidate, I think. At least, "Gnnn" is the only word he uses when we talk politics.

:D

Dinner would be incredibly boring if we were all a bunch of bobbleheads agreeing with each other! I think that it is important to allow children to state opinions and ask questions, letting them reason through their own arguments.

I probably read more politics than anyone else in this household. I also enjoy following financial news which holds no interest at all for either my husband or son. Part of my job description seems to be keeping them abreast of local news, while my husband has his ear to the ground with news concerning technology. All of us love science issues--NPR's Science Friday on Talk of the Nation is a high point for us--so Friday night's dinner chat is often on whatever it is that Ira Flatow discussed that day.

With discussion, none of our positions remain static. As others have said, it is far more important for all of us to be thinkers than card carrying members of a particular party.

Jane

We discuss our values and how they affect our voting habits. Generally, that means we support Republicans, but we agree with the Democrats' views on several issues. I'm hopeful that the dc will grow up to be compassionate conservatives, in the truest sense of the expression!

I think this is the best bet. So many kids end up having opposite political opinions than their parents. I know I'm a case in point. My mom is radically left and I love her but she makes no sense to me anymore and she is still trying to bully me with her beliefs. Too bad she doesn't get I'm no longer under her influence. :001_huh:

My three oldest are definitely Democrats!

-- my 17yo heard about Obama first when she took a history class at the community college last spring and they had a political discussion in class one day

-- my 14yo has always loved history and politics in particular...he loves learning about the presidents and has memorized all of them, including the dates they were in office...so he watches C-Span, Meet the Press, The MacLaughlin Group, etc., and listens to NPR with a passion

-- my 8yo likes Obama because his big brother likes Obama ;) He fell asleep during the DNC while his brother watched every moment of it

As for my hubby and I .. we were registered Republicans during the 10 years we lived in Maryland. We moved to Virginia 3 years ago and the registrations aren't limited by party (meaning, we can vote either Republican or Democratic, even in the primaries)....but we have found ourselves leaning more and more to the left with every passing year....and the discussions we've had with our children (especially our 14yo), have had alot to do with that!!

No matter which way they go, my husband and I want our kids to see beyond the rhetoric. We want to educate them in such a way, that when a politician comes out with a "solution" and makes it sound so simple and logical, they will see the iceberg of issues and complications lying underneath. That way, they can be politically proactive, but not reactionary. If they can do that, we will be thrilled. We are conservative, but it looks like our daughter is a bit of an animal rights activist/tree hugger (lol), yet she is outraged by the pro-choice platform. In my opinion, those two viewpoints should line up pretty nicely- interesting that they do not in adult politics.

I'd have yelled at my parents too...but they were staunchly behind Obama.

The true prize would be getting Jackie DeShannon to sing "What the World Needs Now".

Somehow I've got that song stuck in my head :D

Is love, sweet love,

Is love, sweet love,

Lord, we don't need another mountain,

There are mountains and hillsides enough to climb,

There are oceans and rivers enough to cross,

Enough to last 'til the end of time.

Is love, sweet love,

Is love, sweet love,

Lord, we don't need another meadow,

There are cornfields and wheatfields enough to grow,

There are sunbeams and moonbeams enough to shine,

Oh listen Lord, if you want to know...oh...

Is love, sweet love,

Is love, sweet love,

No, not just for some oh but just for every, every, everyone.

Is love, sweet love.

Is love, sweet love.

Is love, sweet love.

:lol: Yeah, I have been singing that song all day today. I don't know why. :)

I'm teaching my kids to value the Constitution and what it stands for.

:iagree: I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle, and keep wondering when Caesar is going to show up.I lean paleo-conservative/libertarian. My main goal is to keep my kids from being knee-jerk Republicans, even though I do occasionally vote that way, and probably will in November (at least nationally).

My older kids were raised to believe that independents, Democrats, etc were evil.

Okay, maybe not completely evil, but pretty darn bad.

Today, as y'all know from my postings here and my rambling on my blog, I am a registered, official, undedecided basketcase. (Hey, there should be a basketcase party.)

My oldest son is a free thinker. He spent much time sending me to Ron Paul sites. Now that Ron Paul is no longer a possibility, I have no idea who he is voting for. Last time I asked him he was undecided. He and I have had great conversations about politics, he is very open minded and seriously considers all the of ramifications of his vote. He would like to see the two party system fall by the wayside.

My second oldest is one of only 2 pro-life Republicans on her campus. Okay, that might not be true, but she only KNOWS of one other. Her campus is very, very, very liberal Methodist. I know not all Methodists are liberals, but all the ones she knows on this campus are! She thinks I am fruit loop with my indecision on this election (not to mention my organic makeup and my shopping totes! I live to embarrass my kids, it is the best revenge)I am very proud that she is standing up for what she believes in such a challenging envrionment. I am trying to convince her to start a Feminists for Life group on campus, but, alas, so much studying-so little time.

My 3rd child is so Republican, so conservative....she plans to major in political science and I believe she intends to save the world from liberals. She is a firebrand on political issues and even though we do not always see eye to eye on issues, I could not be more proud to have raised this girl who is passionate and informed and gutsy about her own decisions. She wishes she could vote to take the place of some slacker somewhere who won't.

The last three are just learning. I am doing things differently with them. I am using both Obama's and McCain's acceptance speeches for penmanship (just a paragraph or two per day, I am not mean enough to make them write the whole thing at once!).

They have studied all of the issues except for the abortion issue. That one is off the table as I believe in maintaining a child's emotional innocence for as long as possible. Some things are just to ugly to share with children.

But they do study the other issues and so far, being kids and all, they don't care for Obama's idea for pre-K education. They would be far more attracted to a candidate who said education would be optional and free Wii's for every household!!! If either candidate wants my kids' attention he would be wise to toss his running mate aside and add Mario or Luigi to the ticket!:lol:

We discuss our values and how they affect our voting habits. Generally, that means we support Republicans, but we agree with the Democrats' views on several issues. I'm hopeful that the dc will grow up to be compassionate conservatives, in the truest sense of the expression!

:iagree: Same here. I do try to explain why other people support the Democratic platform-- what values they may emphasize more than we do, what motivations they may have, etc. While dh's and my values are more closely reflected by the conservative perspective, I want our children to understand that other people think differently, and they do have reasons for believing what they do. I don't want them to be *shocked* when they talk to someone who's voting for Obama, or if he gets elected, for that matter!

Erica

I am very pleased that my husband is a very conservative republican, as I tend toward liberal democrat - though we both have libertarian leanings.

I worried about this before we had children, but I have become much more tolerant and a better listener thanks to my dh. We discuss politics all the time and are happy to include our children in the discussions. I think they will grow up to be quite tolerant and capable of listening to opposing views before making an informed decision. If so, I feel we will have done our job as parents. I would imagine some of the children will lean one way and some the other.

Dh and I take great joy in canceling the other's vote - especially for president. We are always trying to come up with (fun) ways to prevent the other from voting - it has become quite a tradition. :D

I'm teaching my kids to value the Constitution and what it stands for.

:iagree: here, here :iagree:

We are not registered with either party but as independent. The kids know this. We discuss all the candidates and why we would vote for them but we want them to be able to make their own informed decisions.

We want them to choose for themselves but respect another persons choice and to be able to present their point with out the snarky, insulting comments people tend to resort to.

I can respect anyones choice.....I want my children to be the same.

this is my goal too. DD9 is very interested in the presidential elections. She remembers the last one and she's been following the current candidates with enthusiasm.

Her candidate of choice is Obama. Why? "Because he's brown like me."

But when McCain put Palin on his ticket she got confused. "She's a girl, like me."

So now either way she's winning no matter who's elected. One for the brown people or one for all the girls in the world.

She's bummed that she can't vote though. She can't wait until she's 18.

I keep trying to point out to her the other issues. But she's not interested. I'm not going to tell her who gets my vote--it's a secret ballot. :) Plus I'm afraid if I don't vote for the "brown guy" that she'll get upset with me and think I don't like "brown people."

I always say I am a die hard democrat, but that is not true--I am a registered democrat, because I do like to vote in the primaries, but I am a die hard liberal. I do not believe in party voting at all, and, if a better candidate was in a diff party, I would certainly vote for him. When Gore was running, I thought he was wonderful, but too conservative, and watched John McCain carefully, although, in the end, I did think Gore was the better candidate.

This is how I am bringing up my daughter. I think it is a voter's responsibility to be as informed as possible, to research all the candidates, and to choose based upon knowledge, not a few ads, and a few debates, or which party the person is in. My daughter did research with me, as part of a school project. She has learned a ton about the two parties, independent parties, voting, congress and senate, etc., and it has also taught her a ton about what people will say during an election year. It has tainted her a bit towards the whole process, but I think it goes towards making her a more informed voter, sadly, and I know it makes her a better American. Who knows, seeing how horrible politics are now might inspire her to make a difference in the future!

We're raising our children to vote in line within the moral principles of our religion regarding whom one may vote for and how one may vote, especially when both candidates are unworthy. Along with this, we hope to raise them to vote in such a way that would preserve the rights of our religion in a secular state. Whatever candidate fits those qualifications, regardless of party, is who we would encourage our children to vote for.

I'm teaching mine to question everyone and everything. I was raised by two very liberal Dems, and turned out to be a left leaning Libertarian (conservative in my mother's eyes). Dh is confused and has no idea who he will vote for. He liked Ron Paul, and may go for Bob Barr. So, I guess I'm passing down that flexibility and compromise, with a good dose of cynicism might help you weed out a choice. Then again, maybe not. ;)

they are certainly in line, as of now, with our position (Republican, though there are Independents I'd vote for as well). I just don't think, as long as they adhere to our conservative values, that they'd ever go another direction. All of my kids are very pro-life (it's just something that all of my family feels very strongly about - even extended family), and I can't imagine that will lend itself to leaning too far from the Republican party. Thank goodness!! :tongue_smilie:

While dh and I are very conservative, our extended family is not. We have some very interesting "excussions" (a word my twins coined when they were very little and I was insisting they stop arguing and they insisted they weren't arguing, they were excussing) when we all get together. My goal in homeschooling is to help my kids learn to sift through the garbage and find what is real and true and to base their decisions on that.

As they get older, it's interesting to see where they're going. One of my sons is indifferent to it all for now. One is surprisingly conservative - he makes dh look like Ralph Nader. The other older son has definite liberal tendencies. I'm happy with all of it - they have solid reasons for their thinking (well, the two that ARE thinking do lol) even when I don't agree.

I'll be honest, though DH and I are registered members of 2 different parties, I have the most influence on the kids. I am doing my part to make 'em good little Democrats- DH would say socialists!

He rarely talks politics with anyone except me, so they hear mostly my views on things. I present both sides, but they always, always ask what *I* think. Apparently my opinion is pretty important (which is cool, and scary!) because they then announce they agree with me. I guess the Jesuits had it right on that "give me a child until he's 6" thing!

Will they always? No idea. I am much like my parents politically;DH like his but a tad more liberal. Niether of us was raised by a mixed-politics family though, so who knows how that will play out. I imagine they won't always be so adamant that Mom is always right, unfortunately.

I'll admit it. I'm running your basic, run-of-the-mill indoctrination camp for little people. :gnorsi:

We have extended family on the opposite end of the spectrum so we also indoctrinate them to be respectful and polite about all the areas they are misguided. :001_cool:

Not to worry, it's anything but mindless. They're very curious so we spend a lot of time going through most issues, defining what points are simply a different point of view and which ones go directly against our convictions of right and wrong.

I'm not fond of the two party system. I don't think either party really works for the citizens of this country any longer,...QUOTE]

:iagree: And I really hate the whole delegate system. If every vote is supposed to count, then let it actually count! Dh and I both think that all 50 primaries need to be on the same day, too. I hate that I didn't get to vote for the person I really wanted, and the states that came after TX, .... why should the republicans even have bothered showing up (except for local stuff of course)

Sure, they overhear and often participate in our political conversations. If they express an opinion, we are not beyond asking for the reasoning or source or whatever behind their position. But we take special pains *not* to indoctrinate them and to encourage them to question authority and conventional wisdom in a thoughtful manner. We have kids both to the extreme left of us and to the right of us. And that is ok. I do not want a mini-me, an obedient sycophant, or a party-line parrot. And I would NEVER presume to advise my children on which candidates are worthy of their vote. If they needed help deciding, I would hope that they would know where to look for objective information regarding each candidates' position on relevant issues.

I hope mine will too! That said, we'll be terribly disappointed if they turn out to be Liberal voters (which means something different here to you guys in the US) but we'll love them anyway. ;) Dh and I haven't managed to grow out of our lefty, Greeny, university aged, political opinions as yet.

:D

Rosie