Menu

Would you?

MomOfABunch

Would you get your 13 year old a gym membership?

DS1 is 13 and thinks it will help him with his tae quan do (he's a 2nd degree black belt). The gym is about a mile from our house, he could ride his bike if he wanted to. I asked the gym this morning if they would let him work out and they said he is old enough to have his own membership and can come without an adult.

• Like 1

Can you easily afford it?  If so, then yes I would.  There are parents in our area that do this for their kids.  They can afford it, though.  They aren't putting themselves at financial risk.   I think if he is enthusiastic and it is encouraging fitness that's great.   I might have him work extra chores around the house to earn it but that would depend on the specifics in your household.

Is there another concern you have besides finances?  I may be misinterpreting your question.

• Like 1

Yes, I would.  My son at that age was riding a mile or so to our small town downtown and to the pool.  I figured in 3 years, he could get into a CAR and leave the house, so I should get used to him traveling distances away from me without me knowing what he is doing 24/7.

No, I would buy him some free weights, however. Bowflex makes those dial a weight ones that do not take up much room. That would save me a ton of money in gym memberships. I did buy those for my dancer daughter. The whole family uses them now almost daily, even my 87 year old mother-in-law. It was quite a good investment.

Sure!  But I would tell him it is a 2-3X a week commitment if I were going to pay for it and I would schedule those visits.  Lots of the gyms around here require a walk through with someone to learn how to use the equipment, so I would do that too. 

• Like 4

Ok, would you set him up with a personal trainer the first couple times to make sure he knows how to use the equipment?

Again, if you can afford it, I would definitely do this.  You don't want him injuring himself or developing bad exercise habits that may cause issues later on with his physical well-being.

FWIW, DH has twin younger brothers that ended up hiring a personal trainer.  They were little scrawny things with no muscle.  They tried working out on their own and did poorly.  They did not have the knowledge to do things correctly and risked their own health.  Once they got a personal trainer things turned around pretty rapidly.  That was years and years and years ago.  They are the healthiest two in the family now and still work out frequently, not to be big, buff guys, but because they know that the family has a history of health issues that can be held off or lessened with consistent exercise and a proper diet.  They also hired a food consultant in the early days so they could eat better.

Yes!  Do you have reservations about it?  Whenever my children reach a point of wanting to exercise on their own, independently, I feel good about it.   I think taking time to exercise in one's daily life is a great habit.

• Like 1

Yes, though I don't understand why he couldn't go there alone on the family membership (if you have one).

Our rec center has a rule that if you're 13 or 14, you have to have some sort of assessment by a fitness person before you can use the fitness equipment (weights, treadmills, etc.).  Younger than that, you can still swim, shoot hoops, and I assume run around the track.  I assume there are classes he could join for a discounted price if he was interested.

• Like 1

Yes, though I don't understand why he couldn't go there alone on the family membership (if you have one).

Our rec center has a rule that if you're 13 or 14, you have to have some sort of assessment by a fitness person before you can use the fitness equipment (weights, treadmills, etc.). Younger than that, you can still swim, shoot hoops, and I assume run around the track. I assume there are classes he could join for a discounted price if he was interested.

We don't have a family membership. I just joined and I asked about bringing him with me. They said he can have his own membership doesn't need an adult with him.

So, ok. I guess I'll get him a membership and a couple training sessions and let him try it.

If he is looking to improve his Taekwondo, you might want to get with his instructor and see what exercises the recommend for cross training.

• Like 2

If he is looking to improve his Taekwondo, you might want to get with his instructor and see what exercises the recommend for cross training.

Cardio. They've been telling him for awhile to think about taking up running.

He looked through the classes today and wants to try kickboxing. Ok, sure. Sounds like a plan.

He looked through the classes today and wants to try kickboxing. Ok, sure. Sounds like a plan.

I know a couple TKD members in my family that could use a cardio boost. :blush:

Just a heads up that my taekwando son found kickboxing to be frustrating because the kicks are not the same as taekwando kicks - at least at our Y.  

After all the standard safety warnings typically issued by mom, and a first appointment to get instructions on equipment use, I'd say yes.

However, do you have to commit to a contract? Or can he go month by month? I'd want to establish that he'd actually make regular use of the place before signing any long term membership (payment!) agreement.

• Like 1

After all the standard safety warnings typically issued by mom, and a first appointment to get instructions on equipment use, I'd say yes.

However, do you have to commit to a contract? Or can he go month by month? I'd want to establish that he'd actually make regular use of the place before signing any long term membership (payment!) agreement.

Nope, no contract!

• Like 1

I wouldn't, unless there is a reason for him to (other members who he knows will be there for him to work out with, etc...)  $25 for 2 years equals $600.  I would be more inclined to get $600 worth of equipment that he can use for the next 5-6 years while he is at home for an in home gym.

Sounds like a good deal overall.  I had been going to a local gym for several years, but it was the "old people" gym, and when my teen wanted to start working out, he didn't want to go there.  So we both switched to the "serious" gym and love it.  Frankly after all I've learned in the last six months, we prefer to work out there.  The equipment is much better than what we can afford at home, and there are trainers that we consult on an ongoing basis. We both enjoy the classes too.

I'd be fine sending a teen to classes, but if he's going to use weights, he needs instruction.  Both my teen and I did an age-appropriate, small-group course series, and I did several months more because I have so many orthopedic issues and had significant issues with my form because of imbalances.  It was well worth it.  We both feel very comfortable and safe in the weight room now.

My teen is a shodan (black belt) in Aikido and teaches, and he has found that it has really helped his core strength.

Would you get your 13 year old a gym membership?

DS1 is 13 and thinks it will help him with his tae quan do (he's a 2nd degree black belt). The gym is about a mile from our house, he could ride his bike if he wanted to. I asked the gym this morning if they would let him work out and they said he is old enough to have his own membership and can come without an adult.

Sure, as long as it's either something I can afford or he pays for himself.

Yes I absolutely would!  At our gym 9-14 year olds can use specific pieces of equipment after a training class.  If your gym does not offer something like that then I would have someone show him the ropes to make sure he's not doing dumb things like heavy lifts without a spotter, etc.  I would not go the home gym route if possible.  That's a big upfront cost, and I do think there is something to be said for the gym community which can be very positive.  I think it would be great place for a young teen to spend time away from parents.  

I would allow him to take classes, but I would not allow him to use weights unless he is working with a trainer each time.

He is still growing and using weights improperly can lead to injury and misuse can lead to unbalanced muscle development. 

It is very difficult to have proper form and when a child is still growing and the muscles are developing, it is important for the workout to be varied in such a way to minimize overuse/improper use.

• Like 1

Ok, would you set him up with a personal trainer the first couple times to make sure he knows how to use the equipment?

Absolutely!  He'll need to know how to safely use the equipment, set up an appropriate work-out routine, equipment cleaning procedures, ettiquette, etc. There are injuries and over-use issues that can occur with misusing the equipment and inappropriate work-outs.  

Also, you may want to hire the trainer at regular intervals for a few months to keep the motivation up and assess your son's progress. The weights and reps, exercises and such will all need to be adjusted and varied over time.  Going to the gym can become really boring if things aren't changed up.  

I wouldn't, unless there is a reason for him to (other members who he knows will be there for him to work out with, etc...)  $25 for 2 years equals $600.  I would be more inclined to get $600 worth of equipment that he can use for the next 5-6 years while he is at home for an in home gym.

We like the gym because there's a lot more variety than what we could ever have at home, particularly for cardio. 

Yes, I would and I did. Granted, none of my sons go alone, but my older two go with me, and my younger one turns 13 in February, and he is excited to go. I showed them what is safe (posture, technique, amount of weight), and seriously instilled in them that technique and posture are much more important than the amount of weight being lifted. That will come.